Gary Jakacky

View Gary Jakacky's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The U.S. Hasn't 'Decoupled' And There Ain't No Giant 'Oil Tax Cut' [View article]
    Typical economist. Oil prices going UP is bad...oil prices going DOWN is worse.
    Jan 13, 2015. 04:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Still Waiting For The Bubble To Burst [View article]
    Duuuuuuuuuudes....it is the people who wait for the bubble to pop and then say...THERE WAS A BUBBLE! who are the idiots. We may have a cyclical bear market soon, or we may not. I do have some indicators I follow, and they tare very mixed at the moment.

If you say stocks are in a bubble and they promptly collapse, it is a valid concept and a valid trading signal. If you just say "stocks are in a bubble.." and leave it open ended, you are no better than the envirowhackjobs who have been forecasting.....whatev... hundreds of years.
    Jan 13, 2015. 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Still Waiting For The Bubble To Burst [View article]
    Addressing issues of debt without also addressing ASSETS (debt, being a balance sheet item). The US government is an example. Sure dent has swollen in the post war period. (choose which war you like. :) ) So have the values of tangible government assets such as federal lands and intangible assets like military and domestic security. You don't see Mexican baby droppers flocking to china, india, or any of the shibboleth "leaders of the future."
    Jan 13, 2015. 12:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Still Waiting For The Bubble To Burst [View article]
    The point of a "bubble" is to announce when it is going to pop. Obviously it was not at the point, and stocks continue to rise. An open ended "it will pop someday" may as well be astrology. Take that, scorpios!
    Jan 13, 2015. 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Still Waiting For The Bubble To Burst [View article]
    Why do you think that Darth? If it ever was in a bubble it burst a while back.
    Jan 13, 2015. 08:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Still Waiting For The Bubble To Burst [View article]
    LOTS! I washed it all away drinking some "bubbly!"
    Jan 13, 2015. 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Everything's Fine. Just Keep Investing! [View article]
    Definitely invest in regions like Europe, in the beginning of its third recession in 10 years! China, too, which fabricates more economic data in a month than the US has since the revolution. If markets are looking across that broad valley, your advice will look quite timely.
    Jan 12, 2015. 02:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GM's 200-Mile Electric Car For $30,000: RIP Tesla [View article]
    I want a Stutz-Bearcat!
    Jan 12, 2015. 10:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Federal Gas Tax Should Be Eliminated [View article]
    Maybe i drink too much coffee! :)

In plain english your comment "is the details may not be worth sweating."

But making a closer link between wear/tear and payments increases not only economic efficiency but roadway efficiency. For example the interstates could EASILY be made toll roads without any booths or employees, just from GPS systems that already exist.
    Jan 11, 2015. 08:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Federal Gas Tax Should Be Eliminated [View article]
    Many issues addressed.

(1) Some general comments about taxes being inefficient and revenues poorly spent. Thats true, though the discussion would never end on that topic. To me a specific link between a fee/tax payment and a particular type of expenditure would help here. But earmarking has fallen into disrepute .

(2) One problem I have with Krauthammer, other than the fact that my word processor wants to turn him into Sauerkraut, is he drags social security into the debate, always a sure guarantee to demagogue and issue.

(3) point of use fees: tolls, electronic payments, etc, are something I have not mentioned but would be excellent as well.
    Jan 11, 2015. 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Companies With Better Dividends Than AT&T? [View article]
    I love SA not only for the articles but the comments. I am one year from retirement (early) at 62 (not that I ever really "worked!" that hard....but that's another story). I lean toward collecting my SS and a good quantity of dividends, plus maybe some option premiums, and LEARNING TO LIVE with that income...rather than do all this song and dance about projected growth rates yadda yadda. So please folks keep those articles and letters coming.

I love Value Line and they are very high on T because of U-verse and the merger.
    Jan 11, 2015. 10:32 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Federal Gas Tax Should Be Eliminated [View article]
    Correct peter....i'll bet folks just throw up there hands and say, aw....screw it! Just have a flat fee/tax and let the chips fall as they may. But as I say above and in the article, microeconomic incentives increase efficiency, conservation, and help markets work better.
    Jan 11, 2015. 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Federal Gas Tax Should Be Eliminated [View article]
    Yes...in this day and age, there can me much more tailoring of taxes and fees, although i think your algebra example might have been a snark. God help the parents whose kids take calculus....like I did in 5th grade.

hahahah. Just kidding. I was pretty good with derivatives though.
    Jan 11, 2015. 09:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Federal Gas Tax Should Be Eliminated [View article]
    I think david, that many people would agree that by the time you are done with "i don't use this, but I do use more of that," a flat fee/tax on all taxpayers would make sense. But IF it can be done, microeconomic incentives which are based upon usage and/or conservation, lead to better use of resources overall.

We all buy a great variety of foods...why not just leave $100 at the grocery store front door, and pick up our society-selected bag of foods at the back door?
    Jan 11, 2015. 09:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Another 5-Day Bear Market Comes To An End? [View article]
    Thanks 603. The bones and joints are starting to ache with me at 61...but so far I am doing ok. I prefer ETFs as I am a macroeconomist and look at sectors and broad trends; but will focus more on dividends in the near future, which usually means individual stocks.
    Jan 10, 2015. 04:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment