Gary Jakacky

View Gary Jakacky's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Core CPI weakest in four years [View news story]
    OK thanks. I would imagine the best way to say it is problems in one asset market (the $) lead to bad effects in other asset markets. Grrrr.....
    Sep 17, 2014. 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • In The Next Correction, Will You Be A Winner Or A Loser? [View article]
    I fear in the next correction even if I ***AM*** a winner I will also be a whiner. And maybe even a wiener.
    Sep 17, 2014. 03:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed Won't Change Its Language? REALLY!? [View article]
    AND THE WINNER IS: user 10318561, who suggested the yield curve is flattening! GIVE THAT MAN A KEWPIE DOLL!

===>"Yield curve flattens on hawkish view of Fed statements"<=======
    Sep 17, 2014. 03:04 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed Won't Change Its Language? REALLY!? [View article]
    I have to laugh too. The gyrations in the markets fit what most of you commenters have been saying, as well. Gold is lower though...well, for now anyway! :)
    Sep 17, 2014. 02:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shareholder drops bid for DelCath [View news story]
    Sounds like a group I want to manage my money...they want to buy at $3 what is /was selling for $2.50.
    Sep 17, 2014. 02:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: FedEx Plans Shipping Rate Hike From January [View article]
    Makes me bullish on the economy. Look at IYT, the transportation spider! Dow Theory full speed ahead.
    Sep 17, 2014. 01:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ugly CPI [View article]
    "But otherwise, basically not since the 1960s."

I think the report is excellent. Cheap fossil fuels, while omitted directly via the energy component, trickle through everything else. Look at the decline in gas prices. EXCELLENT! FRACK ON!

I'll take the 60s over this decade any day.
    Sep 17, 2014. 01:41 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed Won't Change Its Language? REALLY!? [View article]
    Well i will start with this: There is one and ONLY one inflation. There is not "food" inflation, or "price inflation" or "asset inflation." Like the expression UNIVERSE, which is defined as "everything that there is," inflation has one and only one definition which is used to give it meaning:

"Inflation is defined as a sustained increase in a broad level of prices."

That means consumer prices, capital goods prices, prices of government goods and service, and prices of exports/imports. That is why I look at the GDP deflator. Yes..I also look at the CPI, simply because this subset is relevant to the everyday layman.

All I can say (there are many articles on SA that deal with this and I have made comments on) is that despite all the Kool-Aid howls from Shadowstats and others, a solid look at the broad rate of inflation by techniques such as the Billion Price project and others show that it is properly measured. Do you, or do you not, agree with adjustments for the substitution effect and for changes in product quality?

I agree also that the government has incentives to understate the number. But the methods used to calculate it is in the open and the data is publicly available: when looked at, you can get the same numbers. Furthermore the government has all KINDS Of incentives---to muzzle speech, whatever---for which it has its toes to close to the fire to even attempt.

IN any case though...do not let the time you spend writing to me in these comments sections to detract from the time needed to write your article. THAT is where this discussion can continue!
    Sep 17, 2014. 01:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Core CPI weakest in four years [View news story]
    But Phil....didn't we blame LOW RATES for causing "bubbles," in the past? So now high rates will cause bubbles also?
    Sep 17, 2014. 11:49 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed Won't Change Its Language? REALLY!? [View article]
    It is not here yet and it may never arrive, IF the FED drains flight capital as fear factor subsides. I am not one of those "inflation is really 10% 15% whatever" annually. The inflation rate is low, and may in fact STILL be OVERstated!

I am saying though that rates need to rise to reflect the fact that we are in our 4th plus year of steady, if substandard, economic growth.
    Sep 17, 2014. 11:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed Won't Change Its Language? REALLY!? [View article]
    Good Steve this issue needs to be addressed. Now I am saying that I think the inflation rates are perfectly fine as calculated. Substitution effects AND quality improvement effects NEED TO be included...and while they are a statisticians nightmare, I think a fairly good job is done with it.

Everything from the Billion price project at MIT and examination by other analysts (not Shadowstats) shows this to be the case. But in any case...hope you publish your article soon if not sooner.
    Sep 17, 2014. 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed Won't Change Its Language? REALLY!? [View article]
    Partially correct. You think holding US notes is risky COMPARED TO...and I emphasize compared to...the risk of holding notes from other countries? Perhaps Switzerland....but who else...

The EU? morally, politically, and financially bankrupt?
    Japan? China?

I don't mean all is milk and honey but the fiscal status of the US and its accounts is FAR BETTER than most nations right now.
    Sep 17, 2014. 11:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heard during FedEx's earnings call [View news story]
    Sounds like an economy slowing down, doesn't it? Oh mighty FED..please save us!
    Sep 17, 2014. 10:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Core CPI weakest in four years [View news story]
    Largely because of lower oil prices from tracking and 3d drilling. Although energy is "excluded," the secondary effects trickle through. Look at the 4.1% decline in gasoline costs.

Only the FED would think that this is somehow harmful to the economy and, of course, means that only THEY are our salvation.
    Sep 17, 2014. 10:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Get Paid While You Sleep: REITs That Pay Monthly [View article]
    Brad: silly question. I get scared away from REITS and similar things because of the tax implications and the question of whether they are really dividends or return of capital. Any quick comments? Articles you have written that address these issues? (Bump up those hits, dude!)

Thanks Gary