Gary Jakacky

View Gary Jakacky's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Keynesianism Gone Wild [View article]
    Every thing this country would become without the 2nd amendment and the Republicans in congress.
    Feb 11 04:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Equal Vs. Cap Weighted ETFs: Dividend And Risk Consequences [View article]
    (1) Good point. I should have stuck to the word "blue chip" for the larger stocks and left it at that.

(2) The article is not about trying to forecast the market; it is about what happens to equal vs cap weighted portfolios in advancing markets (Which is the case 2 years out of 3).

(3) NO, most charts are not corrected for dividends. I could have used total return charts I suppose, Ycharts have them; but I hate Ycharts, so I stuck with price returns and added the dividends in. Since it is over just a six month period time value of money was not really an issue.

(4) try and exoand on this, it is hard to understand in just a short paragraph. I think it deserves an article of its own. :)
    Feb 11 04:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equal Vs. Cap Weighted ETFs: Dividend And Risk Consequences [View article]
    Correct. By definition SPY has a beta of 1.0 and sensitivity of other ETFs to SPY would be obtained by regression; the beta (Slope) coefficient is the beta of finance.
    Feb 11 11:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equal Vs. Cap Weighted ETFs: Dividend And Risk Consequences [View article]
    Correct. I know a lot of SA users use Ycharts or whatever, but to me Bigcharts is the best one going.
    Feb 10 06:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Equal Vs. Cap Weighted ETFs: Dividend And Risk Consequences [View article]
    Right. I used to think it was so simple for the managers, but with all the money coming in and out, it can be a nightmare to rebalance. I feel more comfy with the equal weighted as well, for the same reason. But the sector ETFs are all market weighted.
    Feb 10 06:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The CBO Bombshell [View article]
    CBP has more economic analysis in his articles than almost every other SA writer combined---except me of course. But that is because I use CBP's arguments in my articles, too. :)
    Feb 10 08:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Bond ETFs Are Saying About The Economy In 2014 [View article]
    You are confusing the ability of investors to predict the market, with the ability of the market to predict the economy. The latter is uncontested. The former is weak.
    Feb 8 10:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Bond ETFs Are Saying About The Economy In 2014 [View article]
    Thanks Mals. You will find market based trading systems like Dow Theory and other things I follow NEVER get you in at the bottom, or out at the top.....but you enjoy a lot of the ride along the way.
    Feb 8 11:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Bond ETFs Are Saying About The Economy In 2014 [View article]
    Thanks. Most SA articles are "This is what will happen/buy this/sell that." Rarely do you see a menu of choices based upon future events, which in many cases is far more useful. I plan regular updates.
    Feb 7 10:34 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • At The Money Or Out Of The Money: 2 Buy/Write ETFs Compared [View article]
    Good comment. Keep in mind these are passive, non market timing funds that I think write calls on a monthly basis, and deal with expiration/call aways on the expiration weekend. As you know, all option strategies are dominated by the behavior of the underlying asset; unless you use spreads only; which I am waiting for an ETF to start doing.
    Feb 7 10:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Growlife - It's All Smoke And Mirrors: Research Uncovers Why Shares Are Overhyped And Overvalued [View article]
    "Its complicated!"

Sounds like Harry and the Goblin in "Harry Potter"
    Feb 6 04:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Emerging Market Currencies In Perspective [View article]
    And this has WHAT to do with currencies?
    Feb 6 11:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Psst! The Unemployment Rate Really Is 5.9% [View article]
    Yes, consulting has always been a euphemism for unemployment. I work a couple part time jobs, write for SA, trade stocks, write options for income, bike all over the place in good weather (and bad) and I consider myself absolutely self employed, because I can walk away from any of em any time and still manage to do Ok.
    Feb 6 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Psst! The Unemployment Rate Really Is 5.9% [View article]
    I have the link in the article. It's about halfway down.
    Feb 6 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Psst! The Unemployment Rate Really Is 5.9% [View article]
    Darned if I didn't do the same loop years ago in just about the same amt of time. I went thru glacier/waterton, and then instead of going over Crowsnest I headed east and went up Alberta rt 2 to Calgary, and back to Banff on the TransCanada. I did go thru Kootenai on the way back south and into Idaho, where I nearly got beat up in a Redneck bar watching the BBall all-star game. Fun fun fun.

This past summer I was in the same area..Banff/Lake Louise/Jasper, then the lake areas around Penticton, etc. Incredible scenery. Took a lot of the snarkiness out of me.
    Feb 4 10:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment