Gary Jakacky

View Gary Jakacky's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Wal-Mart: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly [View article]
    WalMarts' decision to "raise wages" remind me of McDonalds obsession with a "healthy menu." Distracted by politically correct hobby horses, instead of staying true to what made them great companies to begin with. When these two companies get back to that north seeking compass, their stocks will kick butt.
    Oct 4, 2015. 10:03 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dow Theory, The Economy And A New Bear Market [View article]
    I agree the markets and the stocks/companies have changed; but many other market based factors have stood the test of time. Transports have been updated for airlines, trucks, and logistics companies. The industrials include service and quasi services like Disney. I see no reason to doubt their relevance, though I use the SPY just because its greater breadth makes it more reliable.

The Dow theory has always had a limited following in many circles because it is often so "late...." Furthermore, don't forget my comments at the beginning. It is TECHNICIANS...not Dow himself, who made it a market forecast. The baboons and their cousins want signals sooner.

The Dow Theory buy signal issued in the Spring of 2009 was firmly based on traditional "confirmation" analysis. It has withstood the test of time. We'll see how my interpretation of the Dow action (there are others) pans out.
    Oct 3, 2015. 11:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Risk Adjusted Sector ETF Performance: 3rd Quarter Update [View article]
    I did not discuss it in the article but the BETA of the XLK, which has been well above 1.0 for many times I have written my articles, was suddenly below 1.0 in the yahoo finance data I saw doing my research. I figured this was a mistake: XLK has not had any major changes in its components and has always had a beta close to QQQ, the NasDaq tech index. SO i just used the old data.

Betas are also available for stocks on Value Line. has betas for every etc, as well.
    Oct 1, 2015. 08:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Designing A Dividend Growth Portfolio For A Specific Retirement Yield Objective: Part 1 [View article]
    Thanks Chuck. People hate fractions, but retirement can start with income divided by expenses. CUT CUT CUT chop chop chop the latter. It is NOT that hard, it makes life SIMPLER and more rewarding, and it stretches your retirement dollars further while REDUCING risk!
    Oct 1, 2015. 04:02 PM | 10 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Risk Adjusted Sector ETF Performance: 3rd Quarter Update [View article]
    Put this into an article if you can. Do you have any idea why it works, or is it just a recent trend/trade you have tried?
    Oct 1, 2015. 03:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Risk Adjusted Sector ETF Performance: 3rd Quarter Update [View article]
    It'd hard to answer your question. I think the FED should raise rates because ZIRP is hurting savers and retirees---the backbone of our economy as boomers in the postwar period---and HELPING promiscuous borrowers and traders with cheap financing. And we wonder why the incomes are stagnating.

In the late 1920s we kept interest rates low to avoid sucking capital out of Europe. We are using the same argument now. We all know how that ended.
    Oct 1, 2015. 03:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Risk Adjusted Sector ETF Performance: 3rd Quarter Update [View article]
    Consumer discretionary...XLY. Left the word out to make my panel a bit smaller.
    Oct 1, 2015. 03:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's The Market's Biggest Risk? [View article]
    "the stock market was invented to move money from those who are impatient to those who are patient."

Never saw that old Saw! Words to the wise.....
    Oct 1, 2015. 10:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dunkin' Brands slammed by soft guidance, no help coming from Mother Nature [View news story]
    Hell man! Hurricane?? I want my coffee and donut!
    Oct 1, 2015. 10:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Now That's My Cup Of 'T' [View article]
    As many others do, I roll in an out of positions in T (While keeping a core holding) using puts and calls, which can lead to additional income opportunities. Onward and upward T!
    Sep 30, 2015. 10:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Inflation Is Not Too Low [View article]
    And of course they have some "economists" who suggest stable prices or deflation causes recessions because it encourages people to "defer" purchases and hurts the balance sheet of those in debt. Well it ALSO rewards those who wait for bargains and HELPS the balance sheet of those who save.
    Sep 30, 2015. 09:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why The S&P 500 Is Likely To Revisit The Correction Lows Near 1,870 [View article]
    Old market wisdom: "panic bottoms seldom hold." I'll feel better if we test, even trade below, the panic lows on very low volume.
    Sep 26, 2015. 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T declares $0.47 dividend [View news story]
    Yes that is a good point. I only wanted to point out the Friday trading. I picked up the shares and soon will get the dividend. Now I wonder about where I might write some calls (and maybe some more puts at a lower price). It really gooses up the T income.
    Sep 26, 2015. 11:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fed's Yellen Opens Up About Rate Hikes, Stocks Take Off [View article]
    Nice take off! Three hours... ;)
    Sep 25, 2015. 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T declares $0.47 dividend [View news story]
    Down to the wire with todays' 32.50 puts! Will they or won't they!
    Sep 25, 2015. 03:42 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment