Gene Andrews

View Gene Andrews' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Newmont Mining Corp - All That Glitters Is The Miners [View article]
    I just now saw your comment. Forgive me for not responding sooner. Outstanding trade! Unfortunately, I do not follow NUGT which is to say I have no data on it. I will probably add it soon enough. Thanks for the heads up.
    Jun 26 05:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Home Depot - Time For A Short [View article]
    Contact me outside this forum at my SUB~ROSA email. I have a file you might find interesting. In this way we could sidestep the SA editors as the go between.
    Jun 26 08:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Home Depot - Time For A Short [View article]
    Thank you for the compliment. Check out my Blog. I put an article out yesterday about Ford that the SA editors rejected. It was time sensitive so rather than resubmitting it I posted it on my blog.

Pay particular attention about what I say about buying at the open on a decidedly down day. You can see how it worked perfectly with Ford.

On a side note: I am reviewing last weeks data and there was major merchandising going on, really big blocks in many issues. The pressure cooker is jumping on the counter.Something big is brewing.
    Jun 25 06:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Inc.: Glass House Or Diamond In The Rough? [View article]
    Fair enough. If you think taxes are high now wait until the end of the year. Long term positions will take a hit as well. The tax man will always have his hand under your toga grabbing one pouch or the other.

Taking profit 4 or 5 times on the up and down by playing the pivots is more attractive to me than holding one long position. That is probably more a matter than temperament. It is also considerably more labor intensive as well.
    Jun 25 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Inc.: Glass House Or Diamond In The Rough? [View article]
    If you keep to the strategy with discipline, even if it is a mistake the impact will be minor. If the trade moves against me and I am stopped out I will be OK because I have measures in place to protect me.

All that to say, if it is a mistake it will not be enormous. You just close it out and move to the next trade. As it is with most things, the key is the discipline.

In either case ... time will solve this mystery.
    Jun 25 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Inc.: Glass House Or Diamond In The Rough? [View article]
    I agree with you if your view is for the long term. This is just a trade to me so my long term assessments are pretty much nonexistent.

I do not believe any news that comes from China is reliable. For the most part I do not even factor it in unless I believe that the exchange through the media will use it to move the market.
    Jun 25 11:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Inc.: Glass House Or Diamond In The Rough? [View article]
    I concur, considering this mornings open. I will also add that when the market as a whole opens decidedly lower it is sometimes best to wait until 9:00 pacific time (I'm on the central coast of California) to establish positions. That is about when the margin clerks are executing margin calls.
    Jun 25 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Corning Inc.: Glass House Or Diamond In The Rough? [View article]
    That is very good advice. In the event big blocks trade at that level it is all the more compelling.
    Jun 25 10:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bristol-Myers Squibb: What Goes Up Must Come Down [View article]
    Thank you. I am glad I put that in.
    Jun 25 10:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Halliburton: Buy And Hold My Pal Hal [View article]
    I just took a look at NKE. It is really interesting. I will be watching it very closely. I will not know until late Monday what happened with regard to big blocks but if I see one it will be a good time to go long. It never moves without a block. The interesting thing is that they do not trade many in excess of 1 million shares. but when they do it marks a significant pivot point.

For example:

23-Mar-11 8:18:10 THRD $75.20 1,397,200
    23-Mar-11 8:18:22 THRD $75.20 1,449,071
    23-Mar-11 8:42:53 THRD $75.20 2,373,401
    19-Jul-11 13:03:01 NYSE $90.74 1,000,316
    31-Jan-12 13:02:17 NYSE $103.99 2,311,361

Look at a chart and match where in the price structure the blocks occurred. It is fairly easy to see that when NKE trades blocks this big you can go long or short depending on what phase of the merchandising cycle is being conducted.

Just wait for the blocks.

BTW - Nike will make much more on the NFL and college football than Lebron.
    Jun 23 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Halliburton: Buy And Hold My Pal Hal [View article]
    I don't think that is boring at all. I agree maybe it is time to cut and run. But don't run too far because I believe the opportunity will once again present itself whereby you can reestablish the position for much more upside.

I also agree that the pullback will be short term and probably over by late July. I think you will be able to get back in at $18.00.
    Jun 23 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Halliburton: Buy And Hold My Pal Hal [View article]
    Are you the writer of those V calls? Writing naked calls can be really dangerous. I think I have done that only once and I didn't get much rest at night. For me the first economic priority is preservation of capital.

I Just did a quick review of V and I think it looks better as a short. Kind of looks like it is in the latter stages of forming a double top. The DMM unloaded a 1.3 million share block at $120.28 on May 29. There are additional extenuating circumstances to that trade, but suffice it to say that it traded much closer to the top of the range than the bottom.

I'm not saying you are wrong ... In fact, I don't even know if you are long or short those calls .... I'm just saying be careful.
    Jun 22 11:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Halliburton: Buy And Hold My Pal Hal [View article]
    With Regard to BP -- It very well may have been covered with smaller blocks. But they would still evidence themselves as a series of blocks aggregating a big position. I just haven't seen that yet and I have been watching. Even if they conceal the cover, the accumulation would be difficult to hide. I actually will look for both.

You may also be correct with HAL The truth is it is just a trade for me. I didn't bet the farm and I never would. I just see a nice opportunity to get a few quick percentage points. After that I'm gone.

That is why I tried to emphasize the stop out and the discipline to carry through with it. I actually feel the discipline is more important than being right.

Jun 22 03:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Halliburton: Buy And Hold My Pal Hal [View article]
    It could easily hit $23. My stop is set at $25.15 so I am thinking $26.00 should offer some good support.

I have also been watching BP. I have not seen any significant blocks. They had a big short (5.3 million share block @ $46.87) on February 22 but I have not seen the cover yet. Until I see something that provides the impetus for a reversal in the trend I will track it and pull the trigger when I see some blocks.
    Jun 22 01:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Halliburton: Buy And Hold My Pal Hal [View article]
    Yes it does, for the moment. It was also loving AAPL at $623.00.

More often than not, I find that I pick up the Cabbage Patch Kids and kick Barbie to the curb.
    Jun 22 12:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment