George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • It's The Comparison That Makes The DIfference [View article]
    The problem remains that few people, if given a choice, are likely to now select Blackberry as their new phone. As a replacement for an existing Blackberry? Yes. If their work requires it? Yes.

The point is that if in a crowd of phones and devices Blackberry is not going to stand out. Just like back in high school, it's the superficial that counted and not your intelligence. Blackberry's security features are nice, but will seal the deal with only a small segment of the population.
    No publicly traded business can continue without growth.

But John Chen knows that Blackberry has to have broader appeal and has to maintain supremacy in secure communications. Remember how devastating a satellite outage was a few years ago when Blackberry was still at the top of its game? How would it withstand a similar incident now?

Remember, at one point, Blackberry was also "all things to all users," it just failed to keep up. When it finally did try to do some catch up it was absolutely horrible in its execution and had a horribly muddled strategy.
    Sep 20 10:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's The Comparison That Makes The DIfference [View article]
    Unfortunately, it's all about growth, and as Woody Allen said "what we have here is a dead shark."

It's not about the users it has, it's about the new users it will get and the getting is increasingly difficult

The fact that Blackberry offers a valuable service or product, depending upon how you look at it, may not be enough to propel its stock price forward. But that's a problem for another day, that I doubt will need to be definitively answered this week.
    Sep 20 09:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's The Comparison That Makes The DIfference [View article]
    A canary in the shaft may be a good way of describing what may be the developing situation. That was the reason for pointing out the dichotomies that existed between various major indices, even if having showed a gain. Certainly by the time you get to the Russell 2000 things weren't looking very good.
    Sep 20 09:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's The Comparison That Makes The DIfference [View article]
    I look for dividend opportunities only among stocks that I already follow.

While WFM is included this week, I listed CY last week, which goes ex-dividend 9/24.

In last week's article, one of the final comments, to which I responded detailed the September 2014 option cycle dividends. Those were more than had been the average for the previous 8 months, but even those previous 8 months averaged a 0.25% monthly yield. Hopefully October will offer similar opportunities, as they are very useful in supplementing the unusually depressed option premiums.

The association between the Walgreen announcement that they would not pursue an inversion and the precipitous price drop seems pretty strong, although in its aftermath there may certainly be some fundamental reasons why shares have stayed at their current level. However, inasmuch as the previous high may have been an artifact of an anticipated inversion, I'd say that they are faring quite well if there are some fundamental issues adversely impacting their performance.
    Sep 20 08:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's The Comparison That Makes The DIfference [View article]
    It has been a long time since I've added any precious metals to the mix, but I think there may be some opportunity going forward, albeit a little bit indirectly, by going through the miners and an ETF, at that.

I almost always have AQQ or ZSL, but I'm not adding to either of those positions at this point and only looking for call sales opportunities on existing positions.
    Sep 20 08:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's The Comparison That Makes The DIfference [View article]
    Thank you.

Lots of discussion has centered around what the core Yahoo assets are worth and most agree that it's worth more than they are currently contributing to share price.

If Alibaba can maintain its share price until it has options available, some of the pressure on Yahoo may decrease, as Alibaba can then be hedged directly and shorted, as well.

In the short term a drop in share price at Yahoo will ratchet up the heat and I want to be around for that.
    Sep 20 08:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deliver Us From Irrelevancy [View article]
    No doubt that the dividends can make things a little easier. September was definitely a good month for those.

I don't do a monthly dividend breakdown for OTP, but for my personal holdings the yield was 0.37% for the month, which is much higher than the 0.25% average heading into the month.

In OTP we had CCL, COH, GM, HAL, HFC, K, LO, LVS, MOS, NEM, RIG, SBGI, TGT, WAG. For some of those the dividends make it much easier to be patient.

I guess we're on a different cycle for IP, as I have it at $50.50 for next week and would probably want to add shares if it approaches $48.

This wasn't a very good week for energy and commodities, but I'm glad the September cycle is completed, too and I want a break from the avalanche of news
    Sep 20 12:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deliver Us From Irrelevancy [View article]
    When we got our first home it had a very small yard, and enjoyed mowing, but after a while I got really tired of using a push mower.

I wanted to get a powered mower, but my wife was paranoid about storing the fuel and having the house explode.

So instead I bought an electric Black and Decker mower and a 150 foot extension cord.

I don't think there was a single time that I used that mower that I didn't have to splice the cord back together after running over it and also tripping all of the circuit breakers in the house.

Since then the properties have gotten bigger and my fascination with mowing has given way to "I think we should move into a condo."
    Sep 19 07:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Deliver Us From Irrelevancy [View article]
    I could not agree with you more, other than the grass part.
    Sep 19 03:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deliver Us From Irrelevancy [View article]
    While the S&P was higher, everything lagged the DJIA this week and its strength wasn't really broadly shared. The Russell 2000 really took a hit this week.

There were so many competing stories this week, including currencies, interest rates and precious metals, that I think equities may have simply been the default choice. It's like hanging out with really ugly and stupid people, you look good by comparison, so thanks for giving me the inspiration for the coming week's theme.
    Sep 19 03:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deliver Us From Irrelevancy [View article]
    I really like it at this level, but would likely look at possibly getting involved through the sale of puts, but you're right about the volume. It has been drying up and the option contract bid-ask spreads have been getting much wider over the past month, making it hard to have an exit strategy.

For now, I wouldn't think of getting involved with a new position until both the price shows some stability and the volume increases.
    Sep 19 01:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Deliver Us From Irrelevancy [View article]
    Yeah, I'd be happy as well to replenish cash, especially given what could have been the case this week (although there a still a few hours to go).
    Sep 19 12:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    I don't know whether to respond to that, or not.
    Sep 17 08:21 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Interesting bunch. Now I think I should go long and short Herbalife in equal parts and seek out the companionship of a distributor friend who is equally likely to get crushed on the base of that pyramid or impaled on its top.
    Sep 16 10:03 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Thanks, but way too much time spent in doing so. I think I'll stick to casual observer status, as long as the barrage from those acting under the guise of protecting society takes a breather.
    Sep 16 08:49 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment