George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Confused, Bothered And Bewildered [View article]
    I have to agree. Lawns are a good metaphor for the Prisoner Dilemma Game.

When we pursue our own interests without regard to what may be driving others there's bound to be less predictable returns. The ultimate question is what do we value more? Return or certainty?
    Oct 24 12:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Confused, Bothered And Bewildered [View article]
    Somehow, overnight, the leaves appeared on our property, too, but I'm going to use my tried and tested technique and wait for some nice wind gusts.
    Oct 24 11:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Confused, Bothered And Bewildered [View article]
    Take credit for good luck, because people will quickly blame you for the bad variety.
    Oct 24 11:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Confused, Bothered And Bewildered [View article]
    The idea of recycling cash is great, as long as it works. Once you're not recycling it and it's tied up in a non-performing investment, you might also be wishing to have kept the cash on hand.

From day to day there's always a better way, or at least so we believe.
    Oct 24 11:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Confused, Bothered And Bewildered [View article]
    Thanks. I wrote about Amazon in TheStreet about a year ago http://bit.ly/1pIc3wu

I really believe Bezos simply wants to stifle competition and then, he believes that he will have the ultimate pricing power.

How to trade the stock? After today's fall I think there's opportunity to get back in, as has been the pattern
    Oct 24 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Confused, Bothered And Bewildered [View article]
    I don't know, I think Ray may like the yard chores.
    The day someone invents a laptop or tablet screen that doesn't get washed out in the sunliight, I might even take up some of those chores, or at least directing them.
    Oct 22 02:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good point.
    Oct 22 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Quantitative Muzzling [View article]
    No one is more surprised than I, but I can understand, as gelstretch's witness protection requires frequent costume changes.
    Oct 22 02:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Quantitative Muzzling [View article]
    I exist only as a caricature so it's pretty easy to erase or add a feature, as needed.
    Oct 22 09:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Confused, Bothered And Bewildered [View article]
    Sometimes that's so hard to do. There have certainly been times that I wish that I had sold. The real fallacy is believing that for most people, selling early will lead to getting back into the market at a propitious time.

Most people will sell, whether early r late and take some losses. But down the line they will usually be way too late in getting back in and position themselves for further losses, or at least being on the wrong side of the upside potential.
    Oct 22 09:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Confused, Bothered And Bewildered [View article]
    It's rarely a good idea to criticize anyone for their decision on buying or selling. There are so many considerations that go into those decisions that we can never know. Besides, once you start on that road, you have to be prepared to be on the receiving side as well. Who wants to be humbled in that way?
    Oct 22 09:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Confused, Bothered And Bewildered [View article]
    If he had lots of profits and secured them I guess that could have been fine, but I think it was last Wednesday when the market actually bottomed out on an intraday basis. If he had his money in mutual funds at least he would have gotten the 4 PM closing price.

If lots of people did what your neighbor did that would probably been the most sure sign that we had hit the bottom and were really ready for recovery mode.
    Oct 21 08:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Confused, Bothered And Bewildered [View article]
    No, I didn't include trades that I only made for my personal account and that weren't OTP recommended trades, because the personal trades can't really be verified.

The outlier was an ANF position that lasted from January until May, but like the Twitter trade was a sequence of puts rolled over and then eventually resulted in taking assignment and writing calls.
    Oct 21 08:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Had to look SUSP up.

The option market also thought that 103 would have been safe for Apple. They weren't counting on too much of a move on earnings. I'm not sure why that was the case. I don't have my notes readily available to see what the implied moves were prior to previous quarter's earnings, but I have to believe that they were more than the 4% or so this quarter.
    Oct 21 06:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment