George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]
    Unless I'm on the losing side, I get a kick out of watching some of the price gyrations in the after hours after earnings have been released. It's just amazing to me how reckless some people can be and how quickly the responses to news are re-interpreted.

But even the next day, sometimes the buying or selling after news just doesn't make sense. Whenever you see such large moves all it should do is call into question the ability of analysts to do their jobs or the ability of companies to communicate meaningful information to analysts to help them do their jobs.
    May 22, 2015. 08:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Always
    May 20, 2015. 09:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.

I think it's a bad idea for a government to pay off its debt, as that may mean a cessation of growth or projects to sustain an evolving society. What is important is for government to responsibly stay current on payments.
    Let's face it, as long as government has the ability to either print money or collect taxes, they will be able to find a near term solution for any potential issue in meeting its obligations.

I'm not worried about that at all, not even in the lifetime of my children.

May 19, 2015. 04:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]
    With the exception of CVC yesterday, waiting seems to be the order of the day(s).

It may be interesting to see the release tomorrow of the FOMC minutes, as well as watching more attention focus on the possibility that the GDP numbers are off, due to inappropriate seasonality adjustment. That could make things interesting over the next couple of days.
    May 19, 2015. 11:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]
    Very true. I suppose that they're people, too.

I guess that if traders can be replaced by an algorithm, so too can algorithm writers, someday
    May 19, 2015. 07:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]
    Good point (and in far fewer words, too)
    May 19, 2015. 07:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]
    I'm hoping to do the same.

Bought CVC at $20.65 and sold $20 calls, hoping that they would get assigned tomorrow in order for buyer to capture $0.15 dividend. I'd be happy with the 1.9% ROI for 2 days in exchange for the dividend.

You're right. We're all predators - but the good kind.
    May 18, 2015. 02:12 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]
    I think those condors circling overhead know that there are a few egg filled nests under my deck. I expect that when they swoop in the volatility in the immediate vicinity of those nests will be increasing significantly for a very short time period.
    May 18, 2015. 11:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks.

I'm not certain whether to be proud or whether to avoid mentioning it, but other than seeing one of the Star Trek feature films (taking my developmentally disabled brother-in-law), I've never seen an episode. I was almost totally lost during the movie.

I think it's too late for me to turn things around. AT least that's what my wife says, but on an unrelated topic.

I tell myself that's a good thing.
    May 18, 2015. 11:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you. To whom?
    May 18, 2015. 11:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]
    Best to leave all the introspection at the door, especially if no one else is doing any.
    May 18, 2015. 09:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]
    I think, but am too lazy to check, that I've mentioned that phenomenon of missing on the top line, but beating on the bottom line in the past couple of articles that were focused on earnings news.

The top line misses are very often tied to currency exchange and the enhanced EPS is undoubtedly helped by share buybacks.

The fact that currency exchange is moving in an unexpected direction, that is USD is falling in relative terms to Euro and the fact that buyback announcements are growing, I think sets the stage for some explosive reactions to the current quarters earnings that will start being released in July. That's especially the case since most everyone was giving downplayed guidance.
    May 18, 2015. 09:47 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]
    I spent 20 years in academic/hospital based medicine, so I spent lots of time in spin, both on the receiving and giving end.

In the non-profit environment, you often find yourself wishing for the kind of pressures that public shareholders could exert. If you want to talk about stacked Boards of Directors, there's nothing like the clubiness seen in hospitals. Everyone lives in the same neighborhood, belong to the same clubs and send their kids to the same schools.
    I miss those days.
    May 18, 2015. 09:42 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]
    Slim lives on forever in infomercials.

GH the 4th, Meg's husband, is an accomplished 2nd generation neurosurgeon. I don't know if he can yodel or sing the blues, although if memory serves me right, he is from Alabama
    May 18, 2015. 09:05 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]
    Not to disparage CSCO, but your return is an optimized one, in that you were able to time your purchase of shares at the low point experienced over the past 4 years. The return of the S&P 500, if also matched at the low point over the past 4 years, is actually the same as that of CSCO

For most people buying CSCO after that 2011 low level, they would have trailed the S&P 500 from the same period, except if having purchased shares over the past year or so.

Most investors don't particularly care as to whether a company beats EPS expectations or not. What they care about is how the stock price reacts and that reaction isn't necessarily aligned with performance, but rather expectations for performance and guidance.
    For my part, I like "grinding" stocks, as well, because they often offer the repeated opportunity to sell calls. For years, stocks like Microsoft and eBay were going nowhere, but still offered great returns if selling covered calls. Cisco has been very good for that, as well.
    May 18, 2015. 08:37 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment