George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Real Source Of A Santa Claus Rally [View article]
    If you believe in zero sum kinetics the preponderance of the liability associated with reduced oil prices, even a collapse in oil, is going to be borne by others and not the US, although there are certainly pockets where the decline would be more acutely felt.

The declining prices should be a great opportunity to increase the SPR, even paying US producers a premium over spot or futures prices, just to keep production humming and worldwide prices low.

AS far as Russia collapsing, while Putin would pay an inordinate amount to see the US suffer just a little, he is unlikely to allow a repeat of 1998. There is simply too much ego involved and even his pointing finger is unlikely to have any but the most zealous nationalists believing his claims.

A Russian collapse isn't the legacy Putin wants and with falling cash reserves he becomes even less than a paper tiger, unable to mount actions commensurate with his words directed at the "enemies" of the Russian Federation
    Dec 27, 2014. 06:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Source Of A Santa Claus Rally [View article]
    It only seems fitting that Kim Jong Un was just extended an invitation to visit Russia. Funny how these things seem to go. But referring to the President of the US as a monkey doesn't seem like the sort of thing that leads to constructive dialogue.

Oil staying at these levels might be a victory, considering where it's been heading. Like any other stock, running in place with an occasional hiccough can make it a really good holding. Right now the market still sees risk in those stocks, but sooner or later....
    Dec 27, 2014. 04:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Source Of A Santa Claus Rally [View article]
    The longer energy prices stay low, the more likely that virtuous cycle begins that leads to increased demand, because people have more to spend, and that leads to increased prices.

The GDP is already telling us that's the direction of things ahead, but the FOMC doesn't have to put the brakes on anything. They just need to make certain things don't get too heated and get out of control.

It really does seem amazing that until just a few days ago people were still debating whether low energy prices were good for the economy, businesses and stocks.
    Dec 27, 2014. 04:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Source Of A Santa Claus Rally [View article]
    Thanks, but this week's piece was actually an experiment. I had my dog use a speech recognition program and just told him to go light on the profanity. All I did was recycle last week's Santa Claus graphic with a new faced glued on top, he did the rest
    Dec 27, 2014. 03:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Source Of A Santa Claus Rally [View article]
    His grandfather was "The Great Leader", while he appropriated his father's self-appellation of "Dear Leader. Who knows, humble as he is right now. Kim Jong Un may someday become his country's "Great and Dear Leader."

I remember my father saying, whenever he saw a relatively young person behaving badly or treating people poorly "imagine what he'll be like when he grows up?"

I guess in only gets worse for some people. Most of us hope to improve as we age, others just get to a higher level of perfection, I suppose.
    What's really amazing are the contrasts between North and South Korea and East and West Germany. I wonder what accounts for the differences.
    Dec 27, 2014. 01:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Source Of A Santa Claus Rally [View article]
    Thanks, but the editors and I have an agreement. They don't read my submissions and I don't care about accolades.

Actually, both parts of that previous statement are untrue.
    Dec 27, 2014. 12:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Source Of A Santa Claus Rally [View article]
    Thanks. I hope 2015 will be filled with news and profits.

You're so right. The horrible things that happen on a regular basis in most other parts of the world, have for the most part, spared us, certainly in size and scope.

It's funny, when you think back a little. Back in the 80s we were dead in the water according to so many, as the Japan's wealth was beyond imagination. Not to mention the systemic ills that so many nations have and may never come close to solving. At least in the US there always the chance of resolving every issue

Then the EU was transcendent, along came CHina and under the protection of oil most everyone that had any felt like a big shot and was happy to hold it over the US.

What we are guilty of, though, is lacking the political will over the past 40 years, since the first OPEC strong arm effort against the US, to do anything about energy independence. Imagine how different the world would have been if oil money that was free flowing and funding every terrorist group in the world had been slashed?
    To quote Sam Cooke, "What a wonderful world it would be."
    Dec 27, 2014. 12:26 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Source Of A Santa Claus Rally [View article]
    You may be right, but December has long best the best month of the year and January has had a long tradition of starting the year off right, so the two can coincide.

This time, though, unless earnings season gets us off to a good start and the GDP follows through without news of a hawkish stance on interest rates, it's hard to see what makes January stand out, at least on the positive side.
    Dec 27, 2014. 08:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Source Of A Santa Claus Rally [View article]
    Thank you. I really didn't think I'd get another use of the basic Santa Claus graphic this year. That made my day.
    Dec 27, 2014. 08:05 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Source Of A Santa Claus Rally [View article]
    Thank you. That covers a lot of area under the curve.

Best holiday wishes to you, as well, although after taking 3 sigma worth, I don't know how much is left to give, but I'll happily share.
    Dec 27, 2014. 08:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Source Of A Santa Claus Rally [View article]
    A breather in volume, no doubt, but with those kinds of headwinds could come plenty of opportunity for someone to capitalize while everyone else is snoozing.

The obligatory statements about how light volume can cause distortions is made multiple times every year, but it's really true. For the most part, though, it's hard to go against history when it comes to the final few trading days of the year.
    Dec 27, 2014. 08:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Santa Claus That Started The Fire [View article]
    The slightest positive news from China and then if followed up by anything related to Macao, LVS is going to move quickly.
    Dec 23, 2014. 01:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Santa Claus That Started The Fire [View article]
    I hate it when that happens.

One of my sons used to collect soda cans and the last time I looked in his old closet they were all still stacked up, but when I picked one up it was empty, even though the can hadn't been opened.

I was too disinterested to try to figure out where it all .
    Dec 23, 2014. 01:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Santa Claus That Started The Fire [View article]
    What strike, expiration and premium did you get on AZN? I'm still waiting on SBGI. It hasn't had any reason to go down, but it does so regularly and should make it's way back to $30, maybe before earnings.
    Dec 22, 2014. 08:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Santa Claus That Started The Fire [View article]
    OK. I knew you had been ahead of me on the yield. That' still almost 60% above the S&P 500 dividend yield for 2014
    Dec 22, 2014. 11:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment