George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    First time I had a beeper that vibrated, I didn't know that it did that. I was driving home and it went off. I thought I was having a stroke.
    May 5, 2014. 06:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    The latter point is true, that's why @Raykrv6a and I think it's good to be their enabler and sell the options to those that are looking for the big win.

Ultimately, it's all a gamble. What differentiates one from the next is how that gamble is balanced by reward. Different markets may have different opportunities.
    May 5, 2014. 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Basically, I'm pretty anti-social myself and used to put my beeper in the freezer, although that may not have been purely motivated by my anti-social bent.

As far as the feedback goes when making trades, it's rarely as vociferous as when just making the suggestion. Time is the best mute button for both sides of the trade.
    May 5, 2014. 05:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Like I said, a little ingenuity. Twitter hasn't really scratched the surface yet and TV based e-commerce may just be one of the ancillary revenue streams coming its way

I'm not as keen on the revenue target though. That kind of growth is usually for those companies that started lower and spent time below the radar.
    May 5, 2014. 05:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Do you mean that's where AMZN will be?
    May 5, 2014. 01:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Excellent point. I met her a couple of years ago. Her personality goes along with the exterior.
    May 5, 2014. 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    If you ever watch CNBC, Domenic Chu frequently refers to the implied moves when reporting prior to earnings being announced. The more volatility the greater the implied moves.
    May 5, 2014. 01:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    The nice thing about politics is that there's no shortage of jokes that can be directed toward either side at any moment in time. It's just sometimes amazing that they don't see the ridiculous nature of what they help create and nurture that makes it so easy for late night talk show hosts to stay in business
    May 5, 2014. 12:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    There's no doubt that Twitter has an incredible amount of data and that it's becoming a cultural hashtag mainstay.

Costolo has to have some of the same ingenuity as the people who founded the system and who for the most part are now gone. That may be the greatest challenge ahead.
    May 5, 2014. 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heating Up The Cold War [View article]
    Thanks for that detail and description of your thought process.

What gave you the confidence to continue holding your initial lot of shares as they fell from $619 to $390. Even as a "core position" many have a discipline that sets an allowable paper loss before making it into a realized loss. As shares are re-approaching $600 that confidence is noteworthy.

The decision to follow Icahn was, in hindsight, certainly a good one and that generally has applicability to many companies that he has touched.
    It would certainly be nice to see a return of Apple as a market leader, but I do agree that there's likely to be some resistance. In general, as a covered option seller, I like that kind of resistance, which is the basis for the article I had written a week or so ago, suggesting that Apple was returning to a time when it might once again be a good covered call trade.
    May 5, 2014. 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Until they really start generating earnings and profits, they're all mysteries. Facebook was no different, but then it seemed to figure it all out, especially on the mobile side.

Now it's Twitter's turn.
    May 5, 2014. 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    You're not missing anything.

The value that I use is the Implied Move, which is based on the implied volatility.

It could have been more clearly stated. You can go to http://bit.ly/1g2rrir to see a more complete description and explanation
    May 5, 2014. 08:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Of The Same [View article]
    Thank you.

Shares of JPM are further deteriorating this morning and I'm anxious to hear the spin and interpretation on its risk/exposure
    May 5, 2014. 08:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Of The Same [View article]
    I actually started doing this full time and on all my accounts in 2007. The nice thing was that with volatility so high you could get very nice premiums and still use out of the money options. Additionally, there were no weekly options back then, so everything was a monthly. That allowed for the ability to "milk" the options. In the event of a quick drop in share price you just bought the contracts back and then looked for the very next opportunity to sell new ones for the same expiration.

As a general rule back then I looked for a premium of 1% for a strike price 10% above the current price or a 2% premium for a 5% move, seeking to get more out of capital gains than I currently do while volatility is so low.

The key was not that you made money, but rather that you lost less and that can be very critical. For those who espouse the use of mutual funds, for example, the ability to outperform in a down market is an important factor in assigning ratings to funds.

If you think about the pure math, having a 25% loss is pretty easy, but to recover, you need a 33% gain. But if you can keep your loss lower, through the sale of options, let's say to 20%, you only need a 25% gain to reach a break even. Both are hard to do, but I'll take the 25% hurdle over the 33% any day.
    May 4, 2014. 02:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • More Of The Same [View article]
    Every season is a good one for option sales.

A little more volatility would be especially welcome.

The nice thing about using allusions is that it's subject to anyone's attempted interpretation. The northern vacation for Apple could just as easily mean Apple is heading higher or Apple is going to cool off.

Win - win.