George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Heating Up The Cold War [View article]
    I don't think history will repeat itself, unless you're referring to the history of the past 2 months in Crimea or the past few years in Georgia.

As far as repeating the Cold War, Russia has far too much to give up now. It had nothing before World War II and nothing after, other than bravado and bluster.

The real Putin would quickly be displayed if economic sanctions brought any kind of push back from the citizenry, who will certainly support Russian nationalistic moves, but may be less ideologues than their parents and grandparents. Once you get used to certain things it's hard to be a purist. Start to lose those amenities and all of a sudden you may be somewhat less tolerant of a faux democracy. Of course, that would then show what Putin is all about to his own people.

No, I haven't seen the GMCR museum. I didn't know there was such a thing. I haven't been up to Vermont in about 20 years and then it was more of a Ben and Jerry kind of visit.

Thanks for reminding me about the Tokaj. I have a few bottles from the last trip to Hungary tat I was saving for my son's wedding and had forgotten about them. I hope I can remember where they are in the next 5 months and then not drink them myself.
    Apr 26, 2014. 06:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Will Apple's Stock Split Impact Its Shareholders? [View article]
    I published an article last week suggesting just that same thing. ( http://seekingalpha.co... ).

Apple is clearly entering a different stage of its life cycle and I believe it has returned to again being an excellent buy/write stock, as it was during the early part of the last decade and as Microsoft had been for nearly a decade.

However, suggesting that Apple's explosive share growth is a thing of the past is not a popular concept to espouse.
    Apr 26, 2014. 04:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect The Unexpected [View article]
    I most certainly do. I think I reach that threshold before noontime, but only because Comedy Central is running infomercials and CNN is still searching for the plane.
    Apr 26, 2014. 04:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heating Up The Cold War [View article]
    You could have found me there on Monday night during an unexpectedly long layover at Hobby, although I'm much easier to find in Rhode Island (Exit 3 - Wyoming, RI. Look for me)
    Apr 26, 2014. 04:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Raining Earnings, Hallelujah [View article]
    Thank you and thank you for the mention in your article.

I enjoyed the play by play report of taking advantage of the ups and downs in CLF's trading pre and post earnings and then balancing your needs through the use of different instruments.

It really helps to be aware and nimble.

Pinning can be a little maddening as you watch the obvious fight going on around a strike price. As an option seller there are times when I prefer positions to be assigned away, but I also want to position myself in the event that the shares are not assigned and Monday opens with a huge thud.

But more so as I send trading alerts to subscribers I try to do so no later than 3:30 PM so that people have tome to execute trades. Some Fridays are more aggravating than others when it comes to that kind of seemingly artificial and manipulative price action.

This Friday it was BMY, on which I had $50.50 calls expiring 4/25. Shares closed at $50.50. I wanted to see assignment because I wanted to raise cash and also because I didn't want to stick around for 4/29 earnings, already having some other shares with 5/9 contracts.

Surprisingly, the shares were assigned, despite moving first from about $50.47 to $50.57 with about 12 minutes to go and then rapidly working its way back down toward $50.50 at the close. While its possible that those moves simply reflected the broad market during the final 15 minutes which started recovering its losses but then going from about down 112 to down 140. To me, though, it looked as if traders had their sights set on that $50.50
    Apr 26, 2014. 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect The Unexpected [View article]
    Thanks.

As volatility has gotten so low the advantage of using the in the money or near the money options has significantly decreased and has me yearning for the good old days that most everyone else hated. I just loved getting paid extra when a stock performance was mediocre or worse.

As I look back over the past 3 years by holding length has increased from 30 to 36 to a current 38 days for closed positions. That qualifies for buy and hold, right?
    Apr 26, 2014. 03:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect The Unexpected [View article]
    So complicated. I realized about 5 years ago that I was now incapable of any future learning.

When my efforts to deconstruct some code, which is how I always was able to learn, was beginning to prove inefficient, I decided to do it the traditional way and actually decided to read up on the topics of PHP and MySQL.

That lasted about 6 pages.
    Apr 26, 2014. 03:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Will Apple's Stock Split Impact Its Shareholders? [View article]
    I wrote an article a couple of months ago for TheStreet called "Is Jeff Bezos Killing Capitalism?"

Here's the picture they wouldn't publish: http://bit.ly/1inFtjp
    Apr 26, 2014. 02:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect The Unexpected [View article]
    It's funny, but I have KO on my screen all the time, as well, but have never purchased shares (other than for one of my kids) and written calls.

What criteria (ROI %, time frames) do you prefer? I usually see it as more of a LEAP kind of stock, but would love to use it or a regular and short term basis, especially as dividend time approaches.
    Apr 26, 2014. 02:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heating Up The Cold War [View article]
    Give it a little time. I've seen it happen, usually getting something like "Seeking Alpha reported an error on this page" kind of message.
    Apr 26, 2014. 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Raining Earnings, Hallelujah [View article]
    It's amazing how that can happen, but it can.

We've been to New Orleans about 10 times. My first time there I swore that I'd never let any of my kids go to college there. For my youngest son, who was the real surprise, it was his first time and he loved it, as did we all. I think I had about 6 pounds of powdered sugar on my pants from the Cafe Dumond beignets.

The real surprise came when I realized that I still am the one that had to pay for it all.

How did that happen.
    Apr 26, 2014. 02:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Raining Earnings, Hallelujah [View article]
    Thanks. My own father was a hoot, but because of his thick Hungarian accent and less than perfect command of English, people would often say "Your Dad is really funny, but I have no idea what he's saying."

My very first web site was dedicated to him and was called "Szelhamos.com" The word "szelhamos is Hungarian for "Windbag," which was his nickname and for good reason.

Believe it or not, I was totally stunned by the events and had no idea of any of what was going to transpire. My biggest worry was that I wouldn't be able to communicate with subscribers while in the air, but luckily there was wi-fi and I had a program to mimic text messages from a laptop.
    My wife told me that she knew that I was pretty oblivious, but she had no real clue just how oblivious I was, as she said inadvertent clues were dropped over the past two months by a few people.
    Apr 26, 2014. 02:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heating Up The Cold War [View article]
    I have long liked CY, but at such a low price wished they had options graduated in $0.50 increments and would love to see weeklies, but it may be q little volume challenged for much in the way of liquidity.

Rodgers is a pretty fascinating guy and CY has been an incredible incubator over the years
    Apr 26, 2014. 02:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heating Up The Cold War [View article]
    I'm going to guess it's a temporary blip. Sometimes the authoring interface on the site has some hiccoughs. Once it does get going, I recommend that you periodically save your work, as I've had instances when it has been lost.
    Apr 26, 2014. 01:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Raining Earnings, Hallelujah [View article]
    Good advice. Where were you 20 years ago when I really needed it.

The nice part, is that somehow it all works out. This past week was a reminder of how time really helps the beauty of things come out and you can really see the fruits of your efforts.

I just got back from a surprise trip to my all time favorite city, New Orleans, for my 60th birthday.

Among the additional surprises, besides being taken unknowingly to the airport, was getting pelted by beads from one son and his fiance (both in blue wigs, so I didn't immediately recognize them) from an overhead balcony on Bourbon Street and the next night having the other son, who by then I thought wouldn't be there, tap me on the head as if he was a waiter and say "sir, your drinks are here," as he delivered a platter of shots for us at the table (which included some friends who also surprised me, having come in from NY.)

What does that have to do with stocks and options? Like you said, surprises abound, so you may as well appreciate it all, rather than trying to understand the process.
    Apr 26, 2014. 01:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment