George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • More Of The Same [View article]
    I bought shares last week after earnings, doing so a little too soon, but Coach has been very good to me over the past couple of years, so I have patience and I'm not asking for much, anyway.

The purchase was the 20th position, sometimes put sales, in about 20 months. Despite the average lot being priced at $51.17, so far the cumulative ROI, including dividends is about 63%, based on Friday's closing price http://bit.ly/17iB07M

That makes its decline in market cap very tolerable
    May 4, 2014. 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Of The Same [View article]
    I always find it funny how government is quick to get the blame for just about everything, but somehow is rarely considered for being given credit for anything, regardless of which party is in office.
    May 4, 2014. 01:47 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Of The Same [View article]
    Thank you.

I'm the one out of 5 dentists that don't floss, although it is great for use in the making of rock candy. I suppose it has utility as well in addition to letting the sugar crystallize on something.
    May 4, 2014. 12:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Of The Same [View article]
    Grainger is the more expensive version of Fastenal. It just announced a dividend hike last week. It's a company that I watch, but have never bought. It's option volume is very thin so it's not too likely that I'd end up participating with shares.

I think Fastenal is a better indicator of what's going on at the local mom and pop level of small business
    May 4, 2014. 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Of The Same [View article]
    I believe that a rise in interest rates and price inflation, in moderation, are among the goals of the Federal Reserve. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the most recent GDP statistic, as there is probably quite a bit of validity to the belief that weather was a factor and that there can be expected to be some rebound in the second quarter.

While the participation rate is certainly something that has to be considered wherever the truth lies with regard to the employment situation the rate is probably the single least important metric, due to the way it can be manipulated. Definitions matter, as you pointed out.

What I look for is evidence of increases in discretionary spending. Retail, home ownership, recreation, etc. Thus far the evidence isn't overwhelming, but there would logically be some kind of lag between people getting jobs and feeling secure enough to start spending on items that they had put off.

On a macro level I like to look at Grainger and Fastenal as barometers of an expanding economy and one that would likely result in job increases. They are both beginning to look more robust and I think that portends good things.
    May 4, 2014. 09:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • More Of The Same [View article]
    Thanks.

Yes, the JPM will be an interesting one. Why they waited to make the announcement after the close and before the weekend is a little bothersome.

When it comes to litigation settlements, the one wild card is always what expectations were. You remember APC. The judgment that finally came through, after most had already forgotten that there was even a case still open, was just huge and well beyond anyone's wildest bad case scenarios and so the stock plummeted and then surpassed its original level at the time of the announcement when a settlement was reached for far less.

WHo knows what the market will think and whether anything was already baked into the share price. Like you, I'd like to see shares come down a bit, because CHK is one of my more frequent holdings and I'd like to add it back or make money off of it somehow
    May 4, 2014. 08:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Of The Same [View article]
    Thank you, but don't forget to hunt for the hidden message contained within the first three letters of the mid-point of each sentence and then assembled in reverse order.
    May 4, 2014. 08:43 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Thanks.

The nice thing about options is that there are so many strategies that can be used. The bad thing about getting older, at least in my case, is the inability to think in a non-linear pattern and juggle too many things at once. I try to keep things very simple, although recognize that only the imagination limits the application of option strategies.
    May 4, 2014. 08:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Thank you.

In the case of put sales, t least the way I apply the strategy, the puts are sold using a strike price that is below the current price. Those are out of the money put sales.

The put contracts are rolled over in the event that the puts are likely to be assigned, because the now current price is below the strike price.

The rollover transaction consists of buying back the existing contracts, which may either result in a net gain or net loss when compared to the premium received when selling the contract and then concurrently selling a new contract for a future date (at either same or lower strike level).

Doing so accumulates an additional premium and is added to the net premium from the previous cycles of sell and buy transactions.
    May 4, 2014. 08:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    And look. You made your statement with 85 spaces to spare, so you can use that space to make your case.
    May 4, 2014. 08:28 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heating Up The Cold War [View article]
    While for some the world does revolve around Apple, the connection, besides the joint photo is joint birthplace, just a little removed in time, which coincidentally is nothing more than a measure of revolution around the sun.

Those Cossacks were generally prone to bribery, but sometimes the thought of not following through with their sadistic plans. Frankly, I'm surprised the bribe in kind wasn't accepted and then you weren't just double crossed afterward.

When it comes to CLF there may be a fine line between bravery and delusion. The question is did he double down in terms of shares or double down in terms of amount invested? Doubling down in shares, even if his initial purchase was at $40, rather than $60 would have erased $7 of a $13 loss when shares climbed to $27 (hopefully he cashed those shares in at that point). Doubling down in dollar amount would have erased the entire loss and netted a $1 per share profit.

Either way keep your distance from the guy and maintain silence.
    May 3, 2014. 10:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    The rinse and repeat part is the best. I never get bored doing the same thing and with the same stock or when necessary just moving over to the stock du jour. Why spend time trying to out think analysts on fundamental or technical issues when you can really be agnostic on everything other than risk and reward levels?
    May 3, 2014. 09:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Very nice. Will have to look at that with some upcoming earnings reports for high IV names.
    May 3, 2014. 09:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Having the rules and being faithful to them is the hardest thing to learn, But if you can get all of those pesky emotions (and their derivatives) under control, like greed, fear and fear of missing out, it becomes much easier to go from big market moves to big market moves without considering them to be crises.
    May 3, 2014. 09:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Yeah, I remember the Selectrics, that was the one with the typeball and I remember the great Bob and Ray radio commercial for one of the first IBM dot matrix printers (Do you remember Bob & Ray?).

To this day I have no idea how the IBM Quietwriter actually worked. That one was really amazing.

They did their usual sort of dead pan and made comments like "the printer hardly makes any mistakes..."

Back in college we used punch cards, stacks and stacks of punch cards
    May 3, 2014. 09:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment