George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Cook Does Icahn's Dirty Work At Apple [View article]
    I spend most of my time selling weekly call options.

Does that tell you anything about time frame? But with that said, I did the buy and hold think for 25+ years and tired of seeing good stocks and solid companies ride a roller coaster that caused paper gains evaporate. Thinking you are smart enough to know when to enter and exit is a sure way toward disappointment. I simply now look to let the flow go where it will and bob up and down along with it.

But you really do have to separate anything you may believe to be true about the company from considerations regarding its shares. Just because Apple makes the most exquisite products doesn't mean that at a given point in time you have to be enamored of its shares. I made that point repeatedly in 2012 and 2013 to a good deal of scorn and derision. On the other hand, when I started buying shares again and reporting such change in sentiment,there were no pats on the back, not that it matters.

What matters is being on the right side of the trade more often on a net basis than on the wrong side. On Apple, I've been consistently right in direction and timing.
    There, I patted my own back.
    Apr 24, 2014. 02:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect The Unexpected [View article]
    Question for you - when did you sell the puts? With Amazon up sharply today, this would not have been an optimal time to have done so, but if you sold the puts prior to the run-up higher, or best of all after a decline such as between 4/21 and 4/23, that leaves you in better position.

If you sold the puts prior to today, given the price run higher, do you already have sufficient profit in the puts if you closed position prior to earnings?
    Apr 24, 2014. 02:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect The Unexpected [View article]
    I am holding my own, but I thought the closed circuit cameras had been removed, so I'll discretely stop and hope no one was watching.

Don't forget, that if you don't really have much interest in owning shares you look to the possibility of rolling the puts over before they are likely to be assigned.

I did that today for Cree and will try to keep doing it until I can close out the position or it expires on its own, as occurred recently, following a lengthy game of staying one step ahead of assignment, but collecting premiums all along the way.
    Apr 24, 2014. 02:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cook Does Icahn's Dirty Work At Apple [View article]
    The iPhone launch already looks dated. There's no reason to wait for any promised products from a medical devices division.
    Apr 24, 2014. 02:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cook Does Icahn's Dirty Work At Apple [View article]
    Interesting article. Really interestingly busy graphic.
    Apr 24, 2014. 02:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cook Does Icahn's Dirty Work At Apple [View article]
    I assume you mean that none of this would have happened had Icahn never appeared on the scene.

I would tend to agree in terms of time frame, but eventually this day was going to come.

Another question will be would any of today's gains have come without news of a split and dividend increase? That news has clearly overshadowed talk of the actual numbers, performance and trends.
    Apr 24, 2014. 01:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cook Does Icahn's Dirty Work At Apple [View article]
    I'm not so certain Icahn is leaving anytime soon. It may really depend on how Apple continues to manage the cash on hand. If Apple had paid a special dividend, Icahn may have taken his spoils and eventually moved on. But with barely much decrease in cash reserves and new cash pouring in, Icahn may have reason, after a respectable quiet period to come knocking again.
    Apr 24, 2014. 01:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cook Does Icahn's Dirty Work At Apple [View article]
    The stock market has always been about expectations and very often logic or rational thought processes have little role, especially in the short term.

It's not a question of what new products do I want. It's a question of what will fuel accelerating growth. Status quo is unacceptable for a growth company

The issue is not about innovation. It's about bringing recognizable innovation to the market and creating new revenue streams. The innovation that goes under the radar does nothing to bring the price of shares forward even though they may continually enhance products.
    Apr 24, 2014. 12:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cook Does Icahn's Dirty Work At Apple [View article]
    Darkness can be good. Besides, I can grow truffles in my living room and further supplement cash.
    Apr 24, 2014. 12:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cook Does Icahn's Dirty Work At Apple [View article]
    There are so many ways to do well and it can also certainly be market and stock specific.

You can't argue with the run that Apple had from 2009 to 2012, nit only in share price, but also in the manner in which they managed their product offerings in continuance of the strategy started years earlier.

Suggesting that times may now be different is consistent with what happens to all growth companies at some point in their existence. I think this is a nice time to once again consider Apple as part of a covered option strategy, just as it had been for years before and as it had not been during its real glory and advancing years.
    Apr 24, 2014. 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cook Does Icahn's Dirty Work At Apple [View article]
    Thanks, already spying 5/9 or 5/17 contracts for dividend capture. Shares tend to do well after ex-dividend date.
    Apr 24, 2014. 11:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks.

I have no gold trading experience, other than futures many carefree years ago.

I like silver, but only insofar as it's a vehicle to generate option premiums. For that, it can be great. A little unnerving at times, but playing both sides, particularly with AGQ and ZSL can really be nice.
    Apr 24, 2014. 11:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cook Does Icahn's Dirty Work At Apple [View article]
    As with most investments the true measure is opportunity. In that regard, as mentioned in the article, since August 2011, shares have under-performed the S&P 500.

Astute investors love cash? You don't have to be very astute to love the idea of getting cash for less than face value, but Apple is not in a distressed condition, so that possibility is not on the table. The cash is simply detracting from P/E.
    Apr 24, 2014. 11:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cook Does Icahn's Dirty Work At Apple [View article]
    Icahn likely accelerated what was going to be inevitable.

If you can't sustain share price through organic growth, you take other measures. That may be high profile acquisitions, mergers or other corporate moves to bring new revenue.

Or you could do what more seasoned companies come to do and introduce dividends, increase those dividends, buy back shares, split shares, etc.

No company in full phase growth does those sort of things. Usually, they don't do some of them because the cash is needed for growth, but Apple can't use that excuse.
    Apr 24, 2014. 11:18 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cook Does Icahn's Dirty Work At Apple [View article]
    Thanks, but really, go look at some earlier articles on Apple back in 2012 and 2013. These comments are respectful, by comparison.

The emotion has definitely been toned down, but times change, as do stocks. This one is at the precipice of middle age.

The difference is that in hindsight or review, I could gloat about past articles. With this one, I'm not calling for Apple shares to go lower, I just think that it's price appreciation will be restrained and it will be a great trading vehicle.
    Apr 24, 2014. 11:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment