George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Beating A Dead Horse To Life [View article]
    I certainly don't stress about missing some gains. The pure math bears out that the difficulty in recovering from a large loss more than exceeds any gains at the margins that you may have missed.

That doesn't include the ability to profit from bargain hunting. And even if you do re-enter the market too early, your losses will still be less than what they would have been.

Currently, I'm happy at a 40% cash level, but like everything else, hindsight will tell.
    Jul 1 07:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.

BK's behavior describes a lot of stocks recently. While most often selling calls is a pretty certain way of beating the overall market, it just hasn't been able to keep up with consistently rising stock prices.

What I do like about BK is that it has kept pace with the S&P since the higher trend started in Nov. 2012, so while it is higher, there's not much reason to think that it would unduly suffer in the event of a market tumble.

But like you point out sometimes the shares do get outside that comfort zone and you could end up chasing shares just in time to own them before they return to earth. In the financial sector that's how I feel about GS and WFC at the moment. I felt the same about MS, but bought shares last week and subsequently had them assigned. Occasionally, however. you resign yourself to a new higher normal for some shares that you really like.

I currently own MDLZ (since 6/4/13). I usually like to wait for at least a year before buying shares of an IPO or spin-off, but jumped the gun by about 3 weeks with MDLZ

One recent IPO that I'm keeping an eye on is AVIV, a nursing home REIT. However it still has about 9 months to go to reach that 1 year mark. It has a good dividend, has traded well and has good option premiums, but time will tell.
    Jun 30 04:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating A Dead Horse To Life [View article]
    One of my proudest moments was when my son, then in the second grade, knew the entire Abbott and Costello routine. Down to the most minute of details I was only 21 days behind as they boarded an American steamer for Buenos Aires, 15 days at Rio de Janeiro...Even Port Said in Egypt ... and then one day I found him at the gates of Calcutta

My favorite character of all time is still SIdney FIelds.
    Jun 30 01:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Raising The Retirement Age Is A Bad Idea [View article]
    Wally87, I was responding to the 20% of you that isn't tongue in cheek.

My retirement views are based on Henry.

Henry was the night janitor/cleaning guy in the Biology building of my college. During junior and senior years I did research at nights in the lab and used to speak to Henry.

He had a single tooth in the front of his mouth and was always smiling. He lived with his father, who was in his 90s and retired from working in a steel foundry, when such things existed near New York City.

Anyway, Henry used to talk about never having taken a sick day in his life. He had to work so hard and long so that he could travel the world with his father in retirement. His father had a very, very small social security benefit since he retired when the foundry shut down barely a year after WW II ended and the need for steel decreased.

But Henry, who was already 65 had to keep working because he also needed the money.

One night I found Henry. He had dropped dead with his mop by his side.
    Jun 30 12:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Raising The Retirement Age Is A Bad Idea [View article]
    While I would have loved to have seen a self-directed option the question has to arise as to what to do with those that have chosen poorly and when retirement comes around, voluntary or otherwise, have no means to support themselves in retirement.

Currently, social security is estimated to already keep 40% of its seniors recipients out of poverty. The original act was an attempt to limit what were seen as dangers in the modern American life, including old age, poverty, unemployment, and the "burdens of widows and fatherless children."

It was a program that combined self-funding with a paternal and watchful eye to make certain the money would be there when needed so that the ranks of the impoverished would be decreased.

Unfortunately, I think that the freedom to put your own social security account to work will only lead to increased poverty rates even among those that make good investing decisions but get caught up in market meltdowns at just the wrong time.

That simply puts further burden on government entitlement programs and is an overall drag on the economy as entire subsets of the population are removed from consumption.

So the question becomes what do we as a society do when inevitably faced with the same human issue that confronted the nation in the early 1930s? Just imagine if self-directed social security accounts were available in 2007-8
    Jun 30 10:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating A Dead Horse To Life [View article]
    There's no doubt that Reagan had a role and his role was one much more of confirming American resolve and suggesting to the world that he was an American leader willing to act the same way that heroes in the movies would have acted.

As I mentioned earlier, it was a constellation of events all occurring at just the right time. Reagan was a part of that constellation. No doubt that he was an inspiring figure, just as the Pope himself inspired. The pair very likely admired one another and were emboldened by the other's actions and words.
    Jun 30 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating A Dead Horse To Life [View article]
    Specifically with regard to the SOviet Union it was a constellation of events, not the least of which was a new, younger leader who was neither perceived in the same authoritarian light nor had the same unqualified support of the Red Army.

Reagan played a role, but it was mostly one of bravado, not that such should be minimized. His words offered the same kind of deterrence and determination as a nuclear arsenal
    Jun 30 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating A Dead Horse To Life [View article]
    Try using a larger screen. It makes it look like much less.
    Jun 29 09:45 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating A Dead Horse To Life [View article]
    Actually, as I re-read the paragraph to which you refer, there was in fact no ethical argument being made, simply a suggestion that there may be some ethical conflicts for some people.

You created the argument by suggesting that it was an act of convenience to overlook any ethical considerations rather than perhaps believing that there was, in fact, a reasoned assessment behind the decision. Now compound the contentiousness by referring to it as a hypocritical and "appalling" action and later as "rationalizations."

It's actually the height of arrogance to suggest that an individual's approach to an ethical issue is marked by hypocrisy, when ethical issues, by their nature are extraordinarily complex and have multiple and valid points of view. People often find unique and varied paths toward addressing potential internal and external conflicts

If you believe that the purchase of shares is unethical and appalling then you should simply not purchase the shares. If you believe that recognizing that there may be ethical issues and going down a particular path is appalling and hypocritical, then you clearly advocate for being blinded to the facts, because then you can never run the chance of standing accused. You certainly would be better off knowing as little as possible about most of the S&P 500 companies.

Ignorance bestows a free pass.

Now, once again, not to completely shock you, but you are very wrong regarding your relationship to a company in which you own shares and what you perceive as "benefits" of being a shareholder.

There is absolutely no benefit to the company if you do own shares. In fact, quite the opposite, share ownership represents a liability to a company. The only benefit that an individual can derive is potentially making money from the sale of shares to someone else who is hoping to make money by eventually doing the same.

Despite your comment, you do not share in profits, as the share price is reduced as soon as dividends are distributed. I believe that further demonstrates your lack of understanding of the meaning, as I earlier suggested you may not understand the actual process.

Owning shares in any company may be done for any number of reasons, including being an activist shareholder. Those interests are certainly not aligned.

As you may know from reading my articles, I tend to look for very short term opportunities. My interests are aligned with a particular price movement in a specified time frame and not with the company, itself. Often that price movement is downward and that pleases me, as well, as I frequently sell in the money calls. That hardly qualifies someone as being aligned with the interests of the company. Ultimately my cares are isolated to price movement dynamics.

Do I think you're a troll? No, just perhaps a little close minded on a singular issue, when ethical discussions require expansive minds to actually fully explore an issue.

Except I had no intention of exploring the issue in depth nor of attempting to convince anyone else to abandon their own held beliefs
    Jun 29 09:22 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.

I wish my timing had been better. I think that yours is pretty impeccable. I started the transition to cash at the end of February. I'm usually fully invested but have gotten it to 40% cash, which was my goal. Unfortunately, that's meant missing out on some of the fun, but like you, I'm anxious for an opportunity.
    Jun 29 07:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating A Dead Horse To Life [View article]
    Surprisingly, at least for me, Darden also owns The Capital Grille chain, which at least in Washington, DC was always a power lunch and dinner place.

It too is always packed.

Although I think the Yard House has more capacity for expansion around the country because of price points, but other than for a brief period of time following the meltdown in 2008, upscale has done fairly well despite struggles downstream.

But even with the higher end restaurants Darden has, you really have to admire them for how long their brands have remained popular and have been perceived as good values.

I think the value extends to its shares.
    Jun 29 03:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating A Dead Horse To Life [View article]
    I've never purchased AZN, but it's always one that I think of going to but still haven't pulled the trigger.

I follow about 75-100 stocks and usually own around 25-30 at a time. I tend to remove 5 or so stocks a year from my list and replace them with new ones. Thanks for that comment about the periodicity you've seen in AZN, I'll take a look at that. You can't ask for anything better than predictability.
    Jun 29 03:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.

But speaking of demeanor, I don't know if you saw the piece by Herb Greenberg yesterday in LinkedIn. It was about the occasion of his son's "coming out" a few years ago while still in high school

The vitriol in the comments section was just terrible and really makes you wonder how is it that some people can't contain that vitriol and emotion, especially on a site that ostensibly is there to promote the marketing of one's self.

But I think that too many people see only the extremes, as mentioned in Thursday "Daily Market Update" that I write for my subscribers.

"So much of what we do with our investments is reactive. Human nature tends to either highlight the good or the bad. We tend to go to the extremes in making our generalizations, when in fact they are the extremes and are really reflective of nothing other than the boundaries of what we can expect in terms of exhilaration or disappointment."

That was in reference to how we tend to react to market shaking events, but it may be very true for much of life. Unfortunately, life just can't always be as simple as black and white.

Maybe you're right and age is a factor in considering other possible paths. Maybe that's why so often it's the grandparent that is best able to understand the tribulations of their children's children.
    Jun 29 03:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating A Dead Horse To Life [View article]
    It helps that the Soviets had a series of horrible harvests,an economy that couldn't afford their global ambitions, a series of aged and dying leaders and a bold Polish Pope who had a somewhat supportive admirer in the Kremlin.

And then there was Reagan whose one-liners were perfectly orchestrated and timed.

Like most everything, good or bad, it takes a constellation.
    Jun 29 03:00 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Raising The Retirement Age Is A Bad Idea [View article]
    How do you get people to save?

That question is way above my pay grade.

There's such a mixed message. One minute we're complaining that we're not a nation of savers and the next minute we're exhorting people to be consumers, so that they spur the economy.

Credit cards are the enemy of savings. You get that false "wealth effect" and then you have to return to reality when the payment comes due. You either go into debt or dip into savings.

You almost wonder if the current social security system wouldn't have been better simply as a "widows and orphans" fund and not as a retirement program, except where would the resolve suddenly appear to sock away the money for 40 years?
    Jun 29 02:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment