George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    Which payment processor would you like to use for the bet?

I'm not certain who the dividend related comment is directed toward, I can't seem to find any reference.

But with regard to dividend, if my interpretation of your comment is correct, then you own shares at a very low cost basis. How much did you then leave on the table as Apple dropped from $700? Probably much more than a losing $50 bet, would be my guess, at least if you own more than 1/4 share
    Sep 11 05:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    Thanks, but I remain a resolute WIndows warrior. I had my Apple days years ago, back when networking PC's (before WIndows) was a real nightmare, but it became harder to justify keeping Macintosh networks to IT in a DOS/Unix environment that moved to Windows.
    Sep 11 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    Opportunity cost has to be the basis of assessing any specific investment.

In fact for my subscription service, each trade is compared to the S&P 500 for the time span of the holding period, as I believe that is the most valid way of assessing the trade.

Depending on your time frame Apple can certainly out-perform the index. It may not out-perform the next hot tech stock, but when you choose a comparator to determine opportunity costs you (the generic "you") are deluding yourself into thinking that you would have been fortunate enough to own a flier at precisely the right time.

The market tends to get things right over the long term, such as Apple's P/E, which many fail to accept as being warranted. However, given the paroxysms of movement and rapid alternation of direction, it's hard to make a case that the market gets it right on the short term or from day to day.

As far as being dangerous to one's portfolio, I wouldn't be terribly concerned if following basic rules, such as diversification. Sick stocks recover, but sick companies have a much harder time doing so. Sell enough call options and collect enough dividends and with patience a sick stock in a sold company will often re-earn its deserved place in a portfolio. At least from my decades of experience
    Sep 11 05:39 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    Who is picking up market share in Europe? Has the market itself expanded such that a decrease in share is sot necessarily reflected in a decrease in sales.

Tim Cook has said, and this is a fairly unique perspective for a CEO of a major company that he doesn't believe that Apple needs to have dominant market share. Only enough to control its own destiny.
    Sep 11 05:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    Thanks. There's a lot to be said for avoiding pain.

I very firmly believe that it's far harder to recover 33% from that $5 loss on a $20 stock than it is to gain 25% on a $5 gain on a $20 stock.

I may not be right, but I don't believe that most people managing your money even give it a thought.
    Sep 11 04:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    Thanks. Nice list, but I especially like a comment that begins with me and ends with me, even if negative.

Buying on dips is one of the hallmarks of how I like to practice the covered call strategy that I use. As I mentioned in an earlier comment, my timing is often off, but it really doesn't matter. I'd rather try to catch that falling knife knowing that in all likelihood the floor isn't too far away, based on past history.

Buying on those dips on the same stocks, over and over again, may not be very imaginative, but who needs creativity when there's profit?
    Sep 11 03:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    We'll certainly get an idea of how much of the buyback has enacted as earnings are released on 10/22. I agree with you. The only real question is by how much per share earnings will increase.

While I was critical of the process by which the buy back has been initiated (Shame on you, Apple http://seekingalpha.co... ), the outcome is hard to criticize.

As far as disappointment in not being included in the Dow Jones, that is not likely to happen at the current share price. SInce the DJIA is price weighted and not market cap weighted, Apple offers to great of a liability to the index. In fact, the addition of high priced Visa and Goldman Sachs serve to reduce the impact of IBM, which has had undue impact

Also, just look at today's market differential. The DJ is up 0.63%, while the S&P 500 is up only 0.08% and the NASDAQ100 is down 0.26%. That differential is all due to Apple. If it was in the DJ the differential would still exist, but likely be in the other direction.
    Sep 11 03:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    While Apple has relatively large individual ownership (38%), these days its hard for individuals to move up shares that trade in such large volume, unless there is a shortage of sellers.

However, Apple has no shortage of sellers, because there are still many individuals sitting on a wasting asset. That is the short term capital loss that is soon to evaporate. Selling at the loss is the equivalent of seeing a short term pop in price that may well exceed that which would come through its regular trading range.

Now as far as all of those Windows updates, I don't upload them. They degrade performance and are no substitute for internet hygiene and wariness.
    Sep 11 03:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    Microsoft is one of my favorite stocks and I am a PC user, through and through.

Ultimately, Microsoft and Apple simply make each other better. Their product fortunes may not be in synchrony, but for an investor there is always opportunity in either.

I almost always have MSFT shares, but much less frequently own AAPL shares. In fact, I didn't own Apple at all from $450 to $700, nor did I see large paper profits disappear, but at this price and with knowledge of their near term strategy, I believe that timing is good to have share exposure.
    Sep 11 03:15 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    I replied to your private message regarding this question.

I did. I eventually bought a second lot of shares and sold calls on the latter lot only, expiring this Friday.

The original lot will have 9/13/13 calls sold tomorrow if the stock price rebounds. If not I would look to sell 9/21/13 options
    Sep 11 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Confidence about security?

You've missed the symphony of those spreading the fear that the fingerprint data will be fed straight to NSA, despite the fact that the data is stored only locally.

Good luck trying to convince a portion of the population that Apple isn't compromising your security with its device. Even though its use is fully optional there will be those who will claim that its strategic positioning is no accident, in that the fingerprint reader is always active and the unsuspecting user will always have data captured.
    Sep 11 03:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    While I agree with much of what you say, I'm not certain that there was any meaningful presence of sell side analysts advocating against Apple shares at $700.

Having written a few articles at the time why I believed that Apple was poised for a move downward, I can't readily recall finding much in the way of analyst corroboration of that position.

My memory, although it may be faulty and I'm too lazy to do the research necessary to discover otherwise, is that everyone was tripping over one another trying to find the highest possible price target.

EVeryone seemed to be a buy side analyst back then
    Sep 11 03:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    You sound like me about 17 months ago (and I got plenty of angry comments directed my way as a result).

While you may be right, you also may be a year too late whether you're correct or not.

I think that its shares are well priced near the $450 range. However the $465-470 range was close enough for me to make two purchases today with an eye toward only a short term holding.
    Sep 11 02:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    Profit is nice, but expectations can ruin a good thing.

In this case, while I'm often critical of Apple's share price and prospects for its advance, I think the prospects are quite good now as a constellation is aligning itself to support the stock price and continue to provide cash flow while the geniuses behind the scenes are plying their magic.

I'm happy just for the potential opportunity to make some money because shares just got cheap enough for me.
    Sep 11 02:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    I'll assume that you're talking about someone else.

Now if this one of those articles where I had been critical of Apple, I know for certain that you would have been addressing me, but now I'm more than happy to see someone else getting the slings and arrows.
    Sep 11 02:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment