George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    What can I tell you? I'm that good (don't tell my wife I said that or you may have to send a party to recover my body from the woods.)

In all of these years I've never owned IBM and almost every week think about finally doing so. It's still inconceivable to me how IBM has lagged the S&P 500 by so much since taking its first hit this year in April. I think you may be right as far as the timing goes. I would also think that if the market sours IBM will have already paid its dues and not suffer as much.
    Nov 16, 2013. 12:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    The smart money is often on the short side. It's not the individual investor that moves markets or directly manages the purchase and sale of stocks.

"Just how Smart is the Smart Money?" http://seekingalpha.co...
    Nov 16, 2013. 06:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Good point. Don't know if it was whiskey, though
    Nov 15, 2013. 06:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    I think you're absolutely right. Microsoft is in the process of a major re-invention and the speed will increase under new leadership.
    Nov 15, 2013. 02:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    A real manager can create value in many ways. Will shares go down if Mullally is selected? Sure, there's that chance, but if it does, I think that would likely be a good entry point. I would look for special dividends, spin-offs and other actions that would get immediate buy-in from the investing community.
    Nov 15, 2013. 02:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    I prefer to look at it as the Mediocrity Factor.

When using a strategy that relies on covered options, stocks like Microsoft and Intel are the equivalent of annuities in that they reliably generate option premium and dividends and for the most part of the past 5 years have simply traded around fairly tight ranges, with occasional breakouts and then re-establishment of new ranges.
    For my part, I hope they just continue business as usual, but I can't complain too much about Cisco, either, in that regard. I haven't owned it anywhere with the recurring frequency of MSFT and INTC, but now may be the time to make it a continual denizen of my portfolio.
    Nov 15, 2013. 01:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    We had an old Philco console with a record player and radio in it.

First color TV was 1964 Zenith with big radioactivity warning stickers inside. I used to love climbing in back of that set, but spent hours each week trying to set colors and get it just right.
    Nov 15, 2013. 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Despite the fact that people love to dwell on how great the past was, if it was so good, why did we all leave it?
    Nov 15, 2013. 11:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    I guess Seeking Alpha doesn't support the sartalics font.
    Nov 15, 2013. 11:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    ...or you could have just lied about it or maybe just denied you had ever invested in it.

My strategy is to simply not go to cocktail parties or engage in any kind of social interaction. The topic can never come up.
    Nov 15, 2013. 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Anything that's reliable can be a springboard for capitalizing on the pattern. Whether reliably good or bad makes no difference. No question that the next quarter will have lots of "easy beats"
    Nov 15, 2013. 09:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Great point and maybe the only point that ever matters.
    Nov 15, 2013. 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Unfortunately, that works both ways, as the Tweets, both legitimate and otherwise, have also knocked stocks down. I think we'll be seeing more Tweet based quick moves in our futures
    Nov 14, 2013. 11:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    I like Kohls, but I agree with you that it is still over-priced. I like it in the $44-$48 range and think there is still some chance to test those levels.
    Nov 14, 2013. 11:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Had I known at the time that my classmate was going to marry Meg Whitman, I would have ingratiated myself and would derisively laugh at your comment, content to have been showered in the gifts of friendship from them and their networks.

But nah, didn't go that way, so Chambers and Meg can have each others legacies.
    Nov 14, 2013. 11:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment