George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Getting The New Year Off To A Bad Start [View article]
    Thanks.

Give credit to the SA editors. They reviewed and published this article in record time, before I had uploaded the file to the server.
    Dec 28, 2013. 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Strategic Tax Losses [View article]
    " I'm just going to have more fun then working for the man."

That is the perfect sentiment, even if you were "the man."

Unfortunately, even if you do slow down, most everyone agrees that you will need far more money than you suspected when you decided to retire. Most everyone under-estimates what their expenses will be in retirement.
    Dec 28, 2013. 10:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Strategic Tax Losses [View article]
    While that is the economic model assumption, that is you will be making less money and , therefore, will be in a lower tax rate, there's no reason why the tax rates won't rise, say to 1980 levels.

While adjusting the earnings necessary to 2013 dollars in order trigger the 70% tax rate of that year may be the "big income" that you refer to, the 43% tax rate, for example would require only $88,000 in today's dollars, to trigger. Add your social security income, stock profits, dividends and you're easily there and suddenly paying more than the tax rate when the money was added to the account.

Many people would find that $88,000 might be insufficient to help them maintain a lifestyle in their golden years and would have to supplement their income with retirement withdrawals, not to mention the mandatory withdrawals starting at age 70 1/2

There is something patently wrong about the idea that you may have to pay more in taxes at a time that your earnings may, in fact, be less and when you deferred the use of the money in previous years on the promise of a lower tax rate in the future.
    Dec 28, 2013. 08:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Strategic Tax Losses [View article]
    It was a good week, wasn't it? Hopefully ,any more of those to come.

As far as the rules go, they don't have to change for some of the benefits to be diminished, especially for Traditional IRAs and 401k and 403b plans. A return to the 50% top rate of 1986 or the 70% rate of 1980 might be a problem for those eligible for withdrawals and in the higher tax brackets
    Dec 28, 2013. 01:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Strategic Tax Losses [View article]
    I do agree that there are reasons to raise glass to the tax code, especially the ability to offset your good fortune with your stupid mistakes.

As far as deferring tax, for me and my generation that has been a pretty good deal. However, part of the social contract that currently encourages the use of such investment vehicles intended for retirement, are based on the assumption that future tax rates at retirement age will be lower than they were at the time the investment deposits were made into the account.

Let's hope that continues to be the case.
    Dec 27, 2013. 10:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Strategic Tax Losses [View article]
    I'm having a hard time getting the image of a Harley riding, elegant silver necklaced rider out of my mind. I may buy Waste Management and Coach to balance out the image.
    Dec 27, 2013. 07:31 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.

As difficult as it may be to pay those capital gains taxes, it beats the alternative. It's certainly better than having a ravenous lion outside of your straw hut.

Good luck getting those short term gains the next two days, but that's not a bad way to artificially reduce the bite.
    Dec 27, 2013. 05:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Strategic Tax Losses [View article]
    I was in London last September when I had a heart attack and needed a stent.

The care I received in the NHS hospital was spectacular. If we could emulate their delivery of urgent care in the US, I'm certain that we could also figure out a way to answer critics of their delivery of more routine and elective care.
    Dec 27, 2013. 01:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Strategic Tax Losses [View article]
    The US has 3 day settlement and allows sales for tax purposes up until and including Dec 31, despite theor settling in the next tax year.

We also rarely put financial pirates into prison.
    Dec 27, 2013. 12:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Strategic Tax Losses [View article]
    Thanks, I'll keep replying to your comments as long as you have nice things to say about me, but as far as my timing goes, I was about 9 minutes behind in anticipating its posting
    Dec 26, 2013. 06:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Strategic Tax Losses [View article]
    Thank you and remember to let that turkey sit for about 20 minutes before carving so that the juices have a chance to settle and not run out.
    Dec 26, 2013. 04:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Strategic Tax Losses [View article]
    "....potentates that have taken on an air of superiority and living like royalty, while legislating like the village idiot..."

There you go again. Sounds like me, although my legislating is on a much more local level and is limited to deciding whether the dog goes out when it's too hot.
    Dec 26, 2013. 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Strategic Tax Losses [View article]
    Not very, as this week is the only week that allows assignment in 2013 and the premiums aren't terribly enticing, especially since I'm currently inclined to hold losers, because of the belief that they can all out-perform the equivalent tax related benefit.
    Dec 26, 2013. 12:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Taking Strategic Tax Losses [View article]
    Wait a second. I live in one of the Potomac pleasure palaces.

I wish I had the nerves to trade futures. My last attempt was in about 1985 or so. I haven't thought about corn, wheat, cocoa or KC Value Line in a generation and half.

Thanks so much for the kind words. Best of fortunes in the New Year, along with the happiness and health to make it all worthwhile.
    Dec 26, 2013. 12:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.

No, nothing wrong with it at all. It's the real circle of life.
    Dec 26, 2013. 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment