George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Now Everything Is Crystal Clear [View article]
    Thank you. I'm especially proud that this article is my first to comply with new EU standards and only feral animals were hurt during its composition
    Feb 9, 2014. 11:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Everything Is Crystal Clear [View article]
    Thank you, but I really did miss football today. I found myself actually cleaning out the room that is supposed to be my office, except there's not even room for a wireless signal to get through.

I've been a big fan of MSFT for a long, long time. Being so was never a comment on their products or strategies, but rather their stock was like an annuity for me. Between dividends and option premiums it was a delight to own.

From a competitive perspective I give Microsoft credit for never ceding ground and for helping to make others strive to stay ahead, benefiting us all. While everyone talks of the Apple eco-system you can survive this world quite nicely with a window into Windows
    Feb 9, 2014. 06:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Everything Is Crystal Clear [View article]
    Thank goodness for his tangents. I don't think he's a deep repository of economic theory or analytical insight. But at that early hour do you really want anyone preaching proprietary insights?
    Feb 9, 2014. 06:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Everything Is Crystal Clear [View article]
    I like the entertainment value from CNBC and can get enough of the salient economic news to help understand basic macro-economic issues and company specific news. I find Bloomberg to drone on if taken in large doses and I lose focus as a viewer. Of course, that's as opposed to CNBC where they frequently lose focus on their own.
    Feb 9, 2014. 05:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Everything Is Crystal Clear [View article]
    Like just about anything, Kernen may be an acquired taste. Have met a few of the on air personalities and I think they are, by and large, a nice group of people. There is actually much greater camaraderie than with news people, especially on the local level.
    Feb 9, 2014. 03:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Everything Is Crystal Clear [View article]
    The "See the details" link leads to a spreadsheet for this week's selections and seems to be working on my end.

Double Dip Dividend and "PEE" are explained by clicking on their respective links near the end of the article that presents a summary of the week's selections by category.

To get a better understanding of "PEE" you may also want to read an illustrative article using Facebook as an example ( http://seekingalpha.co... and an overview of how earnings may be approached ( http://seekingalpha.co...
    Feb 9, 2014. 02:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.

I think that the time has really come to allow that dividend to be increased. There's plenty of leeway in its payout ratio and it is a very different Morgan Stanley than the one scraping the bottom in 2008.
    Feb 9, 2014. 12:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Everything Is Crystal Clear [View article]
    I don't believe anyone has questioned the thesis of KORS having impacted COH's business, It's also no shock to chart their respective share prices and see what I pointed out in the recent article "Taking Solace in an Earnings Challenged Coach" http://bit.ly/1eNWfDj

However, if you use a covered option strategy COH has been a winner precisely because it has traded in a very mediocre fashion but has occasional lapses and rallies.
    Feb 9, 2014. 12:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Everything Is Crystal Clear [View article]
    Thank you, but I should definitely include my own great insights into the list that need to be re-evaluated for their ongoing worth, if they ever had any. Certainty and hubris demand investigation.

In last week's article ( http://seekingalpha.co... ) I soft peddled an observation and criticism of a Tweet that was made by someone purporting to be a financial reporter and contributor. The Tweet said that every down January was associated with a bear or flat market. After downloading and evaluating the data it turned out that about 50% of those down January months since 1950 were followed by markets that finished the year higher.

When you make statements with such certainty, such as "every" down January, there is a tendency to simply accept it on face value. Too bad we often do so, as people have their own agendas and think nothing of passing along mis-information or mis-directing others.
    Feb 9, 2014. 12:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.

Although I'm not certain that the market is actually capable of looking out into the future and discounting it, I am pretty certain that it has inappropriately discounted Wintel, having written about that back in June 2012 http://seekingalpha.co...

I continue to believe that as a covered option investor who seeks frequent assignment and re-entry into positions, that I'll be able to generate a better return with Microsoft and Intel than I would be able to do with Apple
    Feb 9, 2014. 11:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Everything Is Crystal Clear [View article]
    You will be back because the title of the article and its equally confusing content sold you?

Why should the content have been any more clear than the reality of the past week?

Since this is your first time reading, in what has been a weekly series for about 18 months, here's a snapshot of CHK trades during that time, as it has been one of my favorite positions, with 23 separate positions traded. As a covered option investor you may know that it isn't necessarily about the longer term issues, it's about making money on whatever time frame horizon suits you. Mine is a short time frame.

At Friday's close the cumulative ROI is actually 69% rather than 76.4% which is based on assignment at $26.50 for current lot. http://bit.ly/1eFDMNo

While I would be reluctant to enter into a position upon news that Icahn had just stepped in, agreeing with you that is too late, Icahn is helpful to have on your side when he has had an established position. He's not likely to sit around quietly if his own position, which is now nearly 10% of Chesapeake, is threatened. I see that as helping to establish a floor in the short term and if you're looking to purchase shares and sell weekly options, particularly in the money or sell puts, that may offer a quick way to generate the profits you're seeking.
    Feb 9, 2014. 10:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Everything Is Crystal Clear [View article]
    Thank you. Professional courtesy? Are you a dentist, too?
    Feb 9, 2014. 09:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Everything Is Crystal Clear [View article]
    Thanks, but I hate to tell you this, I enjoy Joe Kernen. I rarely agree with him on fiscal policy issues but I enjoy his lack of deference.
    Feb 9, 2014. 09:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks.

I'm ever present in the La-Z-Boy, but usually have CNBC in the foreground. Not so much for guidance but to listen to the often contradictory comments and revisionism that goes on and about.

The active management has kept me off the streets and more importantly, away from society at large. One of the nice things, for those who do seek dividends, is that you can meet or beat the S&P average for dividend payout without introducing increased risk.

Last year, for example my overall dividend yield was 2.7%, as compared to 2.0% for all S&P 500 stocks and 2.4% for dividend paying S&P 500 stocks. For those that go after dividends was the extra 0.3% (or 0.7%) worth it? For me it was, particularly as there is a very steady stream of payments due to the staggered way in which stocks revolve in and out of the portfolio, often related to an ex-dividend date. Now that I'm glued to the La-Z-Boy I need something tangible to show for it and dividends are one of those things, in addition to option premiums.

My dog, who is usually perched on the La-Z-Boy leg rest may agree with you about CNBC, though.
    Feb 9, 2014. 09:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Now Everything Is Crystal Clear [View article]
    Biting satire? Swashbuckling innuendos?

What have you been reading? Or in innuendo form, "What have you been smoking?"

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

As Pete Seeger would have sung, "There is a time to every purpose."

Now is "a time for low beta"
    Feb 9, 2014. 08:56 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment