George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Things Aren't Always As They Seem [View article]
    Take it seriously.
    Nov 17, 2013. 08:39 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Things Aren't Always As They Seem [View article]
    June or July?

On June 19, two days before monthly expiration, FOMC minutes were released and there was a Bernanke press conference. The S&P 500 then went down 59 points to close the cycle. I could see lots of puts being assigned that month, as I had lots of calls end up going from definitely being assigned to unassigned.

I stopped thinking about long term versus short term years ago. Selling the options is always a short term event and I don't care too much about the shares themselves, other than to use the real losers as strategic tax losses as they approach long term status.
    Nov 17, 2013. 08:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    The hedge fund managers that beat the indices this year were still hedged, it's just that their stock selection was superior. The ones that haven't been successful this year and have lagged the index are now going long and dropping hedges.

My guess is that most hedge fund managers would disagree with you that it's a team sport. It's a blood sport and they're not likely to share much meaningful information with anyone, chatroom or no chatroom
    Nov 16, 2013. 08:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Once you refer to them as "successful" hedge fund managers you've already identified what they're "always happy" about. SUccess will make you happy. But happiness has been elusive for lots of hedge fund managers in this market. Their hedges have mostly been a drain on their profits and caused market under-performance. With the year drawing to a close lots of fund managers will be getting their pink slips and those 2 and 20 fees aren't going to be anywhere near as big as had been envisioned.

Most anyone can be successful in this kind of market without the need to try and rotate in and out of sectors, relying on timing and some degree of guesswork. Simply being in an index fund was all the strategy you needed for the past 12 months. Forget about finding Alpha. A 25+% ROI by simply being indexed is alpha enough for most people.
    Nov 16, 2013. 06:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Do you rotate left or right?
    Nov 16, 2013. 05:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    What can I tell you? I'm that good (don't tell my wife I said that or you may have to send a party to recover my body from the woods.)

In all of these years I've never owned IBM and almost every week think about finally doing so. It's still inconceivable to me how IBM has lagged the S&P 500 by so much since taking its first hit this year in April. I think you may be right as far as the timing goes. I would also think that if the market sours IBM will have already paid its dues and not suffer as much.
    Nov 16, 2013. 12:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    The smart money is often on the short side. It's not the individual investor that moves markets or directly manages the purchase and sale of stocks.

"Just how Smart is the Smart Money?" http://seekingalpha.co...
    Nov 16, 2013. 06:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Good point. Don't know if it was whiskey, though
    Nov 15, 2013. 06:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    I think you're absolutely right. Microsoft is in the process of a major re-invention and the speed will increase under new leadership.
    Nov 15, 2013. 02:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    A real manager can create value in many ways. Will shares go down if Mullally is selected? Sure, there's that chance, but if it does, I think that would likely be a good entry point. I would look for special dividends, spin-offs and other actions that would get immediate buy-in from the investing community.
    Nov 15, 2013. 02:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    I prefer to look at it as the Mediocrity Factor.

When using a strategy that relies on covered options, stocks like Microsoft and Intel are the equivalent of annuities in that they reliably generate option premium and dividends and for the most part of the past 5 years have simply traded around fairly tight ranges, with occasional breakouts and then re-establishment of new ranges.
    For my part, I hope they just continue business as usual, but I can't complain too much about Cisco, either, in that regard. I haven't owned it anywhere with the recurring frequency of MSFT and INTC, but now may be the time to make it a continual denizen of my portfolio.
    Nov 15, 2013. 01:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    We had an old Philco console with a record player and radio in it.

First color TV was 1964 Zenith with big radioactivity warning stickers inside. I used to love climbing in back of that set, but spent hours each week trying to set colors and get it just right.
    Nov 15, 2013. 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Despite the fact that people love to dwell on how great the past was, if it was so good, why did we all leave it?
    Nov 15, 2013. 11:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    I guess Seeking Alpha doesn't support the sartalics font.
    Nov 15, 2013. 11:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    ...or you could have just lied about it or maybe just denied you had ever invested in it.

My strategy is to simply not go to cocktail parties or engage in any kind of social interaction. The topic can never come up.
    Nov 15, 2013. 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment