George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    I prefer to look at it as the Mediocrity Factor.

When using a strategy that relies on covered options, stocks like Microsoft and Intel are the equivalent of annuities in that they reliably generate option premium and dividends and for the most part of the past 5 years have simply traded around fairly tight ranges, with occasional breakouts and then re-establishment of new ranges.
    For my part, I hope they just continue business as usual, but I can't complain too much about Cisco, either, in that regard. I haven't owned it anywhere with the recurring frequency of MSFT and INTC, but now may be the time to make it a continual denizen of my portfolio.
    Nov 15, 2013. 01:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    We had an old Philco console with a record player and radio in it.

First color TV was 1964 Zenith with big radioactivity warning stickers inside. I used to love climbing in back of that set, but spent hours each week trying to set colors and get it just right.
    Nov 15, 2013. 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Despite the fact that people love to dwell on how great the past was, if it was so good, why did we all leave it?
    Nov 15, 2013. 11:01 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    I guess Seeking Alpha doesn't support the sartalics font.
    Nov 15, 2013. 11:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    ...or you could have just lied about it or maybe just denied you had ever invested in it.

My strategy is to simply not go to cocktail parties or engage in any kind of social interaction. The topic can never come up.
    Nov 15, 2013. 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Anything that's reliable can be a springboard for capitalizing on the pattern. Whether reliably good or bad makes no difference. No question that the next quarter will have lots of "easy beats"
    Nov 15, 2013. 09:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Great point and maybe the only point that ever matters.
    Nov 15, 2013. 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Unfortunately, that works both ways, as the Tweets, both legitimate and otherwise, have also knocked stocks down. I think we'll be seeing more Tweet based quick moves in our futures
    Nov 14, 2013. 11:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    I like Kohls, but I agree with you that it is still over-priced. I like it in the $44-$48 range and think there is still some chance to test those levels.
    Nov 14, 2013. 11:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Had I known at the time that my classmate was going to marry Meg Whitman, I would have ingratiated myself and would derisively laugh at your comment, content to have been showered in the gifts of friendship from them and their networks.

But nah, didn't go that way, so Chambers and Meg can have each others legacies.
    Nov 14, 2013. 11:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    I just assumed that everyone who would know the difference was likely to be dead by now. I know that I'm barely hanging on
    Nov 14, 2013. 11:23 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    Cisco generally delivers a 1% ROI for a weekly ITM option. At these historically low volatility levels that's pretty good.

Within the sector I do like CSCO over JNPR due to the dividend and the availability of expanded weekly options, providing more strategic flexibility. Additionally, CSCO offers strike levels at $0.50 gradations which can be helpful if seeking greater premiums versus share appreciation and greater likelihood of assignment. SInce weekly ROI tends to be greater than time adjusted ROI for monthly contracts there is often advantage to such turnover and frequently less opportunity costs.
    Nov 14, 2013. 08:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    I always get a little suspicious when blame is placed on a factor that should have impact across the board but hasn't necessarily been cited by others in their own results or forward guidance.
    But on a positive note, with expectations now so low the next quarter should see what will be called "easy beats" and Chambers will be a genius for having delivered such strong improvement.
    Nov 14, 2013. 07:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    It doesn't take sitting on a board to know that no one holds a gun to your head. Whatever decisions are made aren't made on overt coercion. Are there other kinds? Sure. My guess is that you don't have to draw upon your experiences sitting on the board to tell me otherwise. Unless of course you don't have that direct experience.

But there's no real argument to be made here. The point is that they are still not forced to abide poor performance. They may have social connections and other business connections, but they aren't forced to do anything that would be against their better judgment.. The fact that they most often elect to allow mediocrity to perpetuate itself is entirely of their own accord. People elect to not rock the boat in all phases of life for many reasons, but most people that sit on the boards of publicly traded companies do not have to worry about such factors as losing their jobs or going homeless because they rocked the boat. They have a great deal of freedom in acting appropriately and in the interests of shareholders.

By and large, they just don't.
    Nov 14, 2013. 07:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    The CEO still serves at the pleasure of the Board of Directors. It only can get really muddled if the CEO also controls enough voting shares or Board members, or when the Board isn't aligned with the interests of shareholders. The latter is too common, but as long as every thing is going along fine and the stock price makes everyone happy, no one really cares about obscene packages.

CEOs, sports figures, entertainers. It's not very different. As long as someone is willing to pay or as long as different sides are willing to escalate salaries because they think someone holds the key to their success, you can't blame the person on the receiving end.
    Nov 14, 2013. 06:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment