George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Thank you. It helps to not have a position or a bias at the moment. I do like trading in HLF before and after earnings, however, but as with most stocks I try to stay agnostic with regard to the actual business and focus more on price patterns and history and hope to keep positions for a very brief period of time.

The Herbalife story, however, is absolutely fascinating, as are efforts to move stock price lower through rumor and higher through clumsy and sometimes inappropriate corporate actions
    Sep 11 10:09 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Your record? What is your record? I may have missed it when seeking to find out about your organization, that once again, refers to you as a "one man struggle," so when you refer to "WE," it does add a little to the mystery

You seem to have two issues confused, perhaps not understanding what constitutes "credibility." Credibility doesn't require a name, nor do "facts and leads." However, there is a big difference between writing off a one time informer as opposed to someone who is on a constant campaign and stands to make personal profits, as a result. Although even Chicken Little may have had some useful information most reasonable people would have stopped listening after a while or questioned the motivation.

Don't misunderstand. It is the motivation that I question with regard to some whose apparent sole purpose focuses on a single company that is already under the spotlight.
    Sep 10 04:25 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Before you ask any "big questions"

And your credibility arises from....?

Just to be clear, most would agree that screaming through a bullhorn doesn't convey credibility, nor does an unending campaign or singularly focused campaign.

Being a self-proclaimed "one-man-struggle in Canada against international telemarketing frauds and pyramid schemes" isn't necessarily sufficient to establish credibility.

Insofar as my comments were only about Herbalife, it's really quite unnecessary for you to speak about fraud, in general, in an effort to substantiate your views. Madoff is irrelevant, as is Albania, in that regard.

In the case of Herbalife it is certainly on the radar of regulators and legislators and there may be every reason for it to be in their crosshairs.

Having Bill Ackman put his money where his mouth re-lit the flames, but others putting their mouths where their money is? Well that's a very different thing and I take exception to that sort of activity, as it can be recklessly destructive in pursuit of personal gain and be detrimental to others.

Perhaps your goals are more noble, but be assured that there are others who will try and spread any kind of information or mis-information in order to reap personal benefit.

As I clearly pointed out, there is something quite different about promulgating an agenda that can deliver personal gain to the detriment of others through comments and a campaign based on anything other than validated facts. That is true whether it is Herbalife or any other company or individual.
    Sep 10 03:36 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Your original comment was directed towards me?

Well, if you're talking about quantity over quality you may want to count the number of comments that you have made, as well as the tone of many of those comments.

Otherwise, please re-read the comment(s) to which you refer. There is no link to any individual name with regard to any such allegation, as you have made. Rather, it is something that you and another commenter have insinuated or presented as being factual.

I did, however, use a specific name to point out that in excess of 80 articles on a single topic were published in a 365 day period. That is what is known as a fact. What you have done is to try and connect two issues in a straight line and create a fact to your liking.

I certainly did not name a specific individual as having no information upon which his/her comments or opinions may have been based, you have simply made a connection.

My statement was and is one that expresses a general belief that partisans and those that have much to gain from expressing opinions should have their credibility questioned when their activity may be detrimental to others and has not withstood a test of validity.
    Sep 10 02:59 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Many additional points for using the proper plural form of "forum"
    Sep 10 12:08 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Firstly, I have not "admitted" to what you claim. What has been said is that anyone writing an article on average every third business day for a year on a singular topic, should have suspect credibility.

Secondly, this is not a flag waving issue. There are many things that make this country great, but standing on the street corner day in and day out spouting the same message isn't necessarily one of them. Being able to do so is wonderful, but actually doing so in such a way may be a sign of something else.

Just go to Lafayette Park across the street from the White House. It is the ultimate arena for those with an agenda to spread to others. But when you see the same individual day in and day out you begin to question certain factors. The fact that they can be there is a tribute to the nation, but the fact that they are there every day may be a testament to something very different.

But still, your final comment is based upon projection. It's based on your unsubstantiated belief that I have "read very little of what he's written" and that Matt Stewart has had substantive and substantiated points to add, that somehow are worthy of potentially bringing harm to others. Somehow, that is supposed to reflect the greatness of a nation?

It seems ironic to me that you would make unsubstantiated claims against me, even citing me as the source, yet fully accept Stewart's myriad claims as having been substantiated. Your standards are inconsistent, at best or at least supportive of any kind of unsubstantiated claim.

I simply believe that if you have no such information it can be detrimental to others simply for self-serving purposes and should be suspect in and of itself, no less so than Herbalife should be suspect for its alleged practices.
    Sep 10 09:12 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    I certainly don't mind someone taking a position, long or short, but I do mind someone attempting to alter the landscape for their own benefit and potentially to the detriment of others, rather than allowing the market to function.

Herbalife may in fact be a hideous company, but its fate shouldn't be altered by someone who has no information other than access to a modern day versions of a mimeograph machine, a bullhorn and a street corner.
    Sep 9 06:35 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost Nothing Can Stop A Runaway Train [View article]
    Daughter-in-law (to be, next month) is a health care policy advisor in the White House. She got us in, as it was a quiet Sunday. Couldn't get to the Rose Garden, though. That was closed off for helicopter landing for Presidential return from Wales.

I've been down here for 20 years and it was the first time I felt like a tourist, all dressed up and camera in tow.
    Sep 9 12:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost Nothing Can Stop A Runaway Train [View article]
    Hey, I was just there on Sunday. Got a private tour of the West Wing, just posted a photo for you (no one else, please)

Interestingly, taking unauthorized photos in the West Wing is a felony, but you are allowed to take them in the Brady Press Room, which is incredibly tiny & cramped.
    Sep 9 11:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost Nothing Can Stop A Runaway Train [View article]
    It's old age. Get used to it, although there could also be equal parts of experience and boredom in the mix.
    Sep 9 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost Nothing Can Stop A Runaway Train [View article]
    Thanks.

It's hard to imagine that CLF would be going any lower, but I'm still nursing paper losses on 3 individual lots and not thinking of adding risk.

Shares are so low that even with a little bit of volatility built into premiums I'm having a hard time risking writing out of the money calls trying to pick up a few cents here and here. Right now the reward isn't screaming at me to offset the continued risk. Maybe once Drapkin and Casablanca show some substantive actions I may start thinking otherwise.
    Sep 9 11:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    I came to this article from a link provided by Herb Greenberg, for whom I have an inordinate amount of respect and believe that he is correct with regard to questions surrounding the business practices and ethics at Herbalife.

I'm fascinated by the unfolding Herbalife story, but do wonder how it could take so long to arrive at a valid conclusion regarding its practices and activities.

This article is certainly an interesting one and offers a very instructive glimpse into part of the underbelly culture that exists. The fact that the author has Pershing as a client doesn't dissuade me from accepting the conclusions, much as being funded by the NIH or Pfizer wouldn't have me reflexively dispute or question the validity of a drug study's findings.

However, I find it striking to see someone (Matt Stewart) refer to "Herbalife trolls," when his own activity as a partisan has to be inordinately suspect.

A recent article of his was also linked to by Herb Greenberg just a week ago and in reading it I realized that it was the 85th article in Seeking Alpha he had written in precisely one year on Herbalife. The Herbalife articles represented about 90% of all of his authored articles. Additionally, the same was true regarding over 1000 Seeking Alpha comments and nearly 300 Tweets over 2 years.
    Passion? Maybe.

Does that also constitute being a troll? Perhaps, perhaps not, but there is a clear bias when one devotes so much effort and energy into a single company and produces more material than a contracted public relations company would have done for any client, such as Pershing Square.

You certainly have to wonder whether the call "the sooner Herbalife is shut down the better," is simply related to a longstanding short position that is indicated in those many articles and accrues carrying costs daily, rather than to the validity of the outstanding issues themselves.

At least Ackman has stated that profits from his short position would go to charity. That provides far greater credibility, at least regarding motivation, than when someone attacks a company and opponents for what appears to be purely profit motives and has seemingly devoted quite a bit of time over the past year toward that singular pursuit.
    Sep 9 11:03 AM | 15 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost Nothing Can Stop A Runaway Train [View article]
    You could be right, I know I do all the time, but I think it's because "they" keep hiding it on me
    Sep 9 08:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost Nothing Can Stop A Runaway Train [View article]
    That may be the best advice ever given. I may use it next month when toasting to my son and new wife, in offering them lifelong advice.
    Sep 9 08:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Almost Nothing Can Stop A Runaway Train [View article]
    Provide something from equivalent sources that suggests that QE1 was a "one off," or that the "Twist" was promoted as being the end solution to deliver us to monetary objectives. I'm not certain that there was anyone who believed that a single policy decision would have been a magic bullet and it seems highly unlikely that anyone with a reputation would suggest that there was any kind of magic bullet being delivered.

Those are your projections.

I continue to believe that QE will end, as planned, in October, unless something drastic occurs in the economy, as I had clearly stated earlier. I don't anticipate anything drastic, but neither do I expect the Federal reserve to sit and watch passively in the event that something unforeseen does occur.

So, I guess my scenarios sound less "far out," and the hand holding stops as envisioned and telegraphed, but thanks for asking
    Sep 8 03:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment