George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
    Find a new crowd, too.
    Aug 27 06:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jackson Hole And Complacency [View article]
    It seems easy on the sidelines having someone like Ben Bernanke precede you, but the reality is far more challenging. But once seeing just how quickly everyone will pounce on and dissect your words, you have no choice but to parse every syllable before submitting it for public consumption and the idea of varying from the script and from speaking points has to get more and more distant.
    Aug 27 11:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jackson Hole And Complacency [View article]
    Really is beautiful, isn't it? Those Kansas City Fed guys know how and where to party. I hope to someday make it back there and to Yellowstone and Glacier again. I've never tried the fishing part, but it's never too late.
    Aug 24 09:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jackson Hole And Complacency [View article]
    I either don't know or I can't remember
    Aug 24 07:52 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jackson Hole And Complacency [View article]
    I should have scrolled down to see your reply, Would have saved me some keystrokes.
    Aug 24 07:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Jackson Hole And Complacency [View article]
    Or you could do what @BradCastro said.
    Aug 24 07:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Jackson Hole And Complacency [View article]
    That's right. You remember way back when, back in the days that Coors wouldn't ship east, saying that the long transit times were adverse for the product's quality.

Probably a perfect example of how to really market the mystique of a commodity.

It's hard to imagine that MCD will suffer any more, but if you have a large position in MCD, why not consider selling some short term, near the money call options on a portion of holdings, even if only to pick up some crumbs and add to your return, if in the belief that it will bounce back toward $100. You could also roll those calls over if strike level is breached and you want to avoid assignment, share in additional capital gains and collect even more option premium income.

Alternatively, if a core position for you, consider sale of LEAPS, which I think are beautifully suited to high dividend paying positions that tend not to trade in large price ranges or that tend to revert to the mean.
    Aug 24 07:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Jackson Hole And Complacency [View article]
    As with every single position I look for luck as being as big of a component of the ultimate end result as anything else. So many good theses have worked out less well than ever thought, so....good luck.
    Aug 24 03:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jackson Hole And Complacency [View article]
    Peru? Now I think I can refer to myself as an internationally known author. Maybe even renowned, but that may be stretching it.

I think that if I got up to 10K elevation the lack of oxygen might just convince me that everything was spinning.
    Aug 24 03:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jackson Hole And Complacency [View article]
    Glad that worked. It's fun when it does, although sometimes there's some work involved when the moves lower are bigger than anticipated.
    Aug 24 02:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jackson Hole And Complacency [View article]
    It's OK to be smug, just don't be reckless. Smugness is something that you may have earned, but the potential results from being reckless may be what is deserved.

The DOH trades have been, by and large, on hiatus, because the volatility has been so low. It is very hard, except when earnings are coming, to find an out of the money strike premium offering a reward worth the risk of loss at too low of a price. I have far too many uncovered positions, as a result and would love to see some market decline, within reason, and without a snapback recovery.
    Aug 24 10:33 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Jackson Hole And Complacency [View article]
    I think the media is challenged by finding that balance between what is rightfully news and what will interest, attract and keep its readers, subscribers and viewers.

Hard to be faithful to competing constituencies and interests.

I definitely wasn't listening to Casey Kasem back then, but the brown bottle flu could have been rampant among those I traveled with at the time.
    Aug 24 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.

I think we should all have some worries about what Russia does and is doing. It's hard to know whether it is being a rational player at this point and to why level it may elect to escalate its actions.

The rational part, however, is as you say and Putin likely knows that the worst he will face will be some short term economic sanctions and for a few years, at least, he will still have pricing power with energy.

At this point that may be our best weapon, as well, if we find the national resolve to really upset that stranglehold on most of Europe, as it is as important as breaking the stranglehold that OPEC had on the US.
    Aug 24 09:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Jackson Hole And Complacency [View article]
    That was taken in a KOA site in Jackson Hole, 1981 or 1982. It must have been after a tough night.

I bought WAG last week and was actually surprised to see it head lower. It was beginning to recover on Friday and then came word of a power outage to the computer system that controls much of its pharmacy services. I didn't really see that coming from the charts, but I've made a note of it for future reference.
    Aug 24 09:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boring Was Sexy While It Lasted [View article]
    Absolutely agree that it is likely to end badly, as the promise can only be perpetuated for so long and at promise is already really long in the tooth.

SHLD is one of those positions that I really on;y want to think about when earnings are in store and if it happens to be offering weekly options, and preferably extended weekly options, at the time.

Like KSS, LOW and others, it goes back and forth between offering weekly options or just offering monthly ones. These earnings kind of trades are much more palatable when there are expanded weekly options available, giving many more opportunities for rollover in the event you would like to avoid assignment and try to wait out the shares until they bounce back.
    Aug 21 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment