George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Super Mario Finally Comes To The Rescue [View article]
    Thanks.

If I had life to do all over again I would have learned how to really use PhotoShop for fun and profit.
    Jan 26, 2015. 09:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    Nice.

Not too likely that I'll be asked to provide services, although their kids are still within the age range that I could treat, but I hung them up about 5 years ago.

I didn't realize that they had facilities in the White House, but why not? The bowling alley could also use a nice face lift, but if going with friends, it really is a lot of fun and I'm in awe every time stepping foot behind the second check point,

When was that donation? We used to have an affiliation with the Naval Medical Center in the mid-90s to save an orthodontic residency position for one of their people over at Children's Hospital. I haven't been there for about 15 years, but they had some very good training programs and personnel
    Jan 26, 2015. 09:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Super Mario Finally Comes To The Rescue [View article]
    Treasuries seemed confused about what direction to take last week, but I think their demand could increase as the impact of European QE, or more specifically, its lack of impact, become known. It certainly wouldn't be the first time the world has acted in unison in expressing a need to fly to safety.
    Jan 25, 2015. 03:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Super Mario Finally Comes To The Rescue [View article]
    There are 2 ways to try to capture the dividend and try to avoid earnings.

Since the dividend is not this week, but the following week, that is the "longer term" contract that I was referring to, as it expires before earnings, but isn't a simple weekly contract, as I generally prefer to use.

However, you could also go to Feb. 20th or beyond, in weekly increments, in order to have some extra time in the event that MET does go down to $45.

But that's the deal you make with the devil every time earnings are in the equation. Can MET bounce back from a decline to $45 and still end up being a profitable position, especially if continuing to be able to sell calls?

Absolutely.
    Jan 25, 2015. 03:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    I would go with the $282.50, because that's at a strike price that is outside of the lower boundary determined by the option market and gives (slightly less than) a 1% ROI
    Jan 25, 2015. 03:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    They really have changed. Was actually on 14th Street today, coming back home after spending a couple of hours in the White House Bowling Alley (http://j.mp/1yZr1ov ), courtesy of my daughter in law. What was a crack den 20 years ago is now a Sotheby's real estate storefront. The city has made an amazing transformation
    Jan 25, 2015. 03:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    No, didn't see that article, but that's been a problem nationwide for years. I don't know how much is being taught using computer simulation these days, but given a choice, I'd rather be spending those extra hours logged in than in the basement of a building infused with the scent of formalin.
    Jan 25, 2015. 03:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Super Mario Finally Comes To The Rescue [View article]
    Seems as if we've played that Greece game before. It was annoying and unnecessarily anxiety provoking, too.

Stick around long enough and very little new will come along. I'm ready for the repeat.
    Jan 25, 2015. 09:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Super Mario Finally Comes To The Rescue [View article]
    Actually, Liveris discussed the issue of having to bring his prices down as the input costs have been reduced. His comment was that there has been no such pricing pressure to date,

BASF and LYB are both good companies, but have diminished appeal for me.

Since BASF doesn't offer options it isn't a company that I consider, as I execute a covered option strategy.

LYB was a company that I used to trade, when it was simply Lyondell. Trading only monthly options and fairly light volume with wide bid and ask spreads, it doesn't offer the same kind of liquidity as does DOW.
    Jan 25, 2015. 09:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Super Mario Finally Comes To The Rescue [View article]
    DOW has traveled in perfect parallel to oil ever since the decline started, even during those brief periods when the market and energy decoupled.

Liveris made the comment as an aside regarding the impact of decreasing oil prices on DOW.

The one thing that many are also overlooking is the potential impact of hedged oil on companies. Normally we talk about the good fortune of being hedged as a means to not suffer when oil prices are increasing. But there's the flip side. There are going to be companies that are hedged at higher prices and won't be fully benefiting from oil's price decline. Based on Liveris' comments, it doesn't appear that DOW will be in that category and that despite interests in oil production they net result will be beneficial to them.
    Jan 25, 2015. 09:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    Thank you.

Yes, the experience does leave you with some issues, but eventually they dissipate. The thing that was hardest to let go of was the need to use multiple different colored magic markers in everything I did thereafter.

There's no doubt that after a while of being in the lab and subject to students who aren't always the most graceful or elegant in their dissections the appearance is even more unsettling, but then the body begins taking on a less human form.

I'm still respectful of people that chose to donate their bodies to advance education. Even though you have to approach gross anatomy with detachment it does give you the kind of respect for people and what complexity constitutes the physical nature of a person that you may not have had earlier,
    Jan 25, 2015. 09:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    No, but the level of open interest can give you an idea of how many potential trades may be out there to help you get your trade executed, although it's really only the active bids and asks that matter.
    Jan 25, 2015. 08:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    In 2014 my most commonly closed position was eBay, with 9 such positions.

There were a number that came in at 6, 7 and 8 times for the year, including BBY, BMY, COH, CY, FAST, GPS, MET, MOS
    Jan 24, 2015. 09:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    Thank you.

I have my 35th year reunion coming up this Spring. My one claim to fame or infamy is that out of a class of 20, my 3 gross anatomy lab partners were the only 3 not to graduate with the class.

That may have called for some introspection on my part, but I'm over it by now.

However, what made my classmates jealous is that for about 20 years I just got to look over the shoulders of others while pretending to be teaching them and spent my productive time drinking coffee. Luckily the information age had already arrived for the few years that I was in practice before retiring about 5 years ago to take advantage of the internet fad.

For those who don't know what it was like to be an individual investor back in the days when information wasn't very readily available, all you have to do is imagine yourself a captive or hostage. Whether it was your brokerage, the commission structure, the pricing structure of options and shares themselves and as you pointed out, getting timely quotations - all conspiring to make it incredibly difficult to make investing a worthwhile pursuit.

The earnings game is, also just as you point out, very much a game and both sides are in a strange symbiotic relationship, even though there is sometimes an underlying current that may wish to see the other side fall off the rail.

As far as selling puts when an ex-dividend date is upcoming, I'm not too big of a fan of that, just as I am a big fan or selling calls in advance of an ex-dividend date. The reason is that, in the case of puts, a portion of the decrease in the price of shares that results from the dividend, is not reflected in the put premium. In essence, the put seller is partially subsidizing the drop in share price to his own detriment, as that makes assignment also more likely.

By contrast, the premium received when selling calls is often larger than it should be when an ex-dividend is at hand, so in essence the call buyer is actually subsidizing a small portion of the ensuing price drop.
    Jan 24, 2015. 06:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    The only thing that would make FAST a little better would be more option volume. I don't even mind that it only has monthly options, but would love to see more volume and something better than $0.05 increments. That makes it unnecessarily expensive to rollover.
    Jan 24, 2015. 05:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment