George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    Too many good memories of that GM product, although I still have good things to say about my 1968 Impala
    Jun 16, 2015. 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    After about 8 months of lower highs on VIX spikes, we're now at the same level as the last spike. That comes as the last low on the VIX was finally higher than the previous lows after a series of lower lows.

What does that all mean? Who knows, except for those who believe in that sort of chart reading, we may be due for a relative breakout in VIX.
    Jun 16, 2015. 11:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    I think I'd take anything or anyone back over that Vega of mine, although in bright red, it did look good.

We called mine the "Bodega Vega"
    Jun 16, 2015. 10:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    I was telling my kids a story the other day about when I had that Vega and was living in Boston.

Whenever I had to go up a hill, the passengers would get out and push, while I had the accelerator floored. It would take about 10 seconds for the engine to finally do something and then it would jack rabbit and then stall out.

It was pretty good going downhill, though.

Then came the X-Cars. Even Consumer Reports got that one wrong and so did I. That was the last GM car for me.
    Jun 16, 2015. 10:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    I think the editors were inundated this weekend. It took about 68 hours for this article to see light of day.

There is an FOMC press conference tomorrow following the statement release. That would be a good time to explain an increase and calm markets, if it came tomorrow.

Otherwise, it's not until September that there's another press conference. So, if you want to escape the grilling, July would seem perfect, as long as the data continues to pint higher.
    Jun 16, 2015. 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    That's been a problem for quite a while and definitely makes things more challenging. It tends to drive you more toward the short term contracts, but even there the premiums are nowhere close to historical levels.
    Jun 16, 2015. 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    Sometimes I also wonder why fix what is broken, particularly if it involves writing a check.
    Jun 16, 2015. 07:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    You're right. They will do whatever they do and we will blow it out of proportion. If they raise by only 0.25% we'll be fretting about what that means. Why not a full 0.5%?
    Jun 16, 2015. 07:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    I forgot about the Monza. Boy, those were bad days.

The trading has been scant the past week and maybe this week, as well. I'd love to see cash position moving higher, but it's been an uphill climb of late.

Hopefully once we get this interest rate issue addressed, we can move on. Maybe the next earnings season will have some upside surprises, including not a bad as expected currency effects, that can serve as a catalyst to move higher.
    Jun 16, 2015. 07:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    I'm still agnostic with regard to Herbalife's business model, although believe there is likely some degree of truth to allegations that have been made, but not to the level of criminality.

I'm now long shares and have been selling calls on any near term spikes higher, as there have been quite a few of those lately. A a result, I now have a stake in seeing this article and others negative on Herbalife be refuted.

Still, citing the "Intelligence Director of Tactical Rabbit" as a reason to refute this article or the motivations behind writing it as a counter to the credibility of the author of this article, is really far fetched.

There's probably not much new that's going to be revealed and it's in the hands of regulators who will determine the timing of any decision and the fate that may await Herbalife and by extension, Pershing Capital.

People like Everett Stern are not likely to offer anything new on the topic and may have their own credibility issues.

For those brave/stupid enough, there may continue to be short term opportunities on both sides of the fight. However, as bad as the allegations against Herbalife may be, I think that it's also egregious to be involved in any kind of misinformation campaign that seeks to move share price in either direction. In that regard, there's probably no shortage of guilty parties.
    Jun 15, 2015. 08:59 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Janet Yellen Gets Tied Up [View article]
    It's hard to characterize, as you do, much of what you wrote as being based on "verifiable facts."

You represent an opinion based upon an interpretation of the past and have freely assigned blame, using such absolute terms as "every" and "always" to characterize their behaviors.

Economics is an incredibly exact science and while you decry the academicians that have been at the helm of the Federal Reserve for nearly the past 40 years, lets not forget the last person with real world practical experience to hold that position. You can thank him for believing that rapidly rising interest rates for self correct.
    Jun 12, 2015. 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Janet Yellen Gets Tied Up [View article]
    I have the same reflexive response to over the top volume. I look at yelling to get your point across the same is peppering your speech with profanities in order to make your point or get attention..

There are probably better ways to express yourself with intelligence. If you need to shock or overwhelm there can't be too much substance.
    Jun 11, 2015. 09:16 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Janet Yellen Gets Tied Up [View article]
    Believe it or not, political correctness isn't always going to be the reason people disagree with your opinion.
    Jun 10, 2015. 07:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Janet Yellen Gets Tied Up [View article]
    It may be those treacherous times that precluded this week's illustrative graphic from being published, I suppose. There's nothing wrong with exercising caution.
    Jun 9, 2015. 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Janet Yellen Gets Tied Up [View article]
    The smart bond folks had their timing off on the previous 2 runs higher, but they may be on the right side of the trade for the moment.

It's Tuesday afternoon and I haven't made a single trade this week wondering what will give. At least the FOMC is next week, so something may pop then or maybe even sooner if this week's Retail Sales data finally does what we've been expecting all year.
    Jun 9, 2015. 01:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment