George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Market Only Dickens Could Understand [View article]
    Some human characteristics are definitely timeless in their quality. We will forever find ourselves in situations when the fever erases the ability to be rational and others will be right there to fuel the flames.
    Jul 27, 2015. 09:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Market Only Dickens Could Understand [View article]
    Sure, that could work, although I would probably prefer not to be assigned and then to re-assess again on the merits of ownership just prior to the ex-dividend date.
    Jul 27, 2015. 09:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Market Only Dickens Could Understand [View article]
    I'm not certain that the Federal Reserve can take credit, nor blame for the periodic bubbles seen, especially in technology. There are enough instances over the past 30 years where the Federal Reserve has not had a hand and technology soared and then dived.

Equating commodity prices with the health of stock markets is a pretty tenuous thing to do. The demand for those different asset classes are not at all similar, nor is their supply, in general.

While the Federal Reserve can't buy commodities, the governments can and do. You may as well make the case that commodity prices are depressed simply because the Chinese government's push to expand its economy and infrastructure was well out in front of the demand for economic growth
    Jul 27, 2015. 09:29 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time Is Illusory. Events May Be, Too [View article]
    It is definitely hot down here, but evenings have been fairly nice of late.

As far as the politics go, most of it is just background hum, except when there's a government shutdown. Then, everyone has an opinion and it's often with a personal twist.

At the very least when August rolls around the city usually empties of lots of its hot air sources.
    Jul 24, 2015. 02:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time Is Illusory. Events May Be, Too [View article]
    When you say "This is never done right before earnings." did you mean it's never done correctly, or that it's just never done?

I'm always amazed at how many analyst ratings appear the day or two before earnings are released. I think it's fairly common, but will agree that you really do have to question the motivation of the analyst when the timing may be suspect.
    Jul 21, 2015. 12:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time Is Illusory. Events May Be, Too [View article]
    At any moment in time there's no shortage of extreme opinions at either end of the spectrum to choose from among to either confirm or refute one's own opinions to whatever degree they like.

For one, I wouldn't mind seeing some significant profit taking, but with that I'd like to see a weaker USD and some stability in energy and commodity prices.

Too many moving parts, though, to hope for their lining up at the moment.
    Jul 20, 2015. 03:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time Is Illusory. Events May Be, Too [View article]
    I learned from my wife that you have to crow every now and then.

Her comments were always in regard to our kids. Her belief was that people would be very quick to blame you for anything that your kids did or didn't do, so you may as well take credit for the good things, whether or not that credit should be extended in your direction.

I think that applies to most everything.

The feeling that semis are becoming a commodity has been long in the making, but then again, that was the feeling about companies like SNDK and STX, as well. Somehow, the right management and the right minds can figure out where there may yet be a pot of gold, although that commodity isn't faring too well, of late.
    Jul 20, 2015. 01:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks.

Lots of people are glad that I keep myself otherwise occupied so that they don't have to be burdened with me on a daily basis, but then again, you can't really cherry pick your family.
    Jul 20, 2015. 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time Is Illusory. Events May Be, Too [View article]
    Semis have just been horrible and you've definitely been on the right side of that trade.

I continue to like INTC at this price, but have not added to my existing shares, but am looking at doing so in advance of its dividend in a couple of weeks.
    Jul 20, 2015. 11:50 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time Is Illusory. Events May Be, Too [View article]
    It's funny, but I do think that's the case, but while at the same time it feels as if it has been taking longer for individual sectors to return into favor, once having fallen out of the favorable spotlight.
    Jul 20, 2015. 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time Is Illusory. Events May Be, Too [View article]
    I purchased Best Buy about 30 minutes before your comment and am hoping that it's a very quick dalliance.

I don't know if all Best Buys made the design change, but when they went from a standard perpendicular grid layout to a diagonal one, I became lost. I used to know where everything was and would leisurely stroll the floors.

Now, I order everything on line, as well, but usually for store pick-up.

A little rich now? Stay rich.

I',m still reluctant to part with cash right now, but need to beef up income flow, which has been very light lately.
    Jul 20, 2015. 11:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time Is Illusory. Events May Be, Too [View article]
    No, it's just that I hadn't realized that the article was finally published until just a few moments ago. The editors have been swamped lately and it's been taking a while for the articles to see light of day.

I checked early this morning before writing my Daily Market Update and it was still in queu and then I got involved in the day's work
    Jul 20, 2015. 11:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.

I can't disagree with the portrayal of current leadership, although I'm among those who believe that spinning off R&D assets would be detrimental to the company.

This used to be a favorite of mine for use as a covered call strategy, but I haven't owned shares in a while. I think it may be back for a period of price mediocrity which could put it back into the pile of stocks that may not perform on their own, but can still offer a good return through their premiums and dividends.
    Jul 20, 2015. 11:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks.

I'm surprised that FAST has been stuck for so long. If anything, it should have benefited from USD strength, as it does almost no business overseas other than related to purchases of supplies with a stronger dollar.

They are definitely making a big bet on a turnaround with their hiring of late and I hope they're right.
    Jul 20, 2015. 11:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time Is Illusory. Events May Be, Too [View article]
    Thanks, but if there's a lesson to be learned it's that all of those articles were written at one time.

Reminds me of an old MAD magazine article that showed that Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, phonograph, radio, television, cassette player, 8 track etc, all at the same time. He just chose to sequentially release them, milking them for everything he could.
    Jul 20, 2015. 11:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment