George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    I'm trying to think of a comparable response to my wife, along the lines of what a friend of mine gives to anyone like telemarketers or door to door sales people when they call on him, whether its for home remodeling, power stairs or discounted Canadian medications:

"I'm sorry, but no thank you. I'm kosher."

Seems to work for him.
    Jan 24, 2015. 05:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks.

FAST is in this week's article, which isn't posted yet, as a dividend pick, as are KMI and TXN (although there's a caveat on TXN because it reports earnings 2 days before going ex-div).

I wrote that FAST has become one of my favorite stocks and is completely free of oil and currency issues, but should benefit if interest rates remain low.
    Jan 24, 2015. 04:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    The hyperlink in the article 3 or 4 paragraphs above the table will take you there, but to save wear and tear on the scroll wheel of your mouse, here it is: http://seekingalpha.co...

Basically, add the call and put premiums at the in the money or nearest the money strike levels and divide by the strike level, ideally using a short term contract to minimize the influence of time value,

If there's a narrow range between bid and ask prices you can use either, but do so consistently. If the spread is wide simply use the mid-point for each the call premium and the put premium.
    Jan 24, 2015. 02:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    True, but at least they will live to see better days and then some
    Jan 24, 2015. 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    OK, then just the minority interest.
    Jan 24, 2015. 02:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    It's evolving all right. Too bad the "d" button on my keyboard doesn't consistently work
    Jan 24, 2015. 02:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    I certainly forgive you, but the Girl Scouts still need some reason to overlook your comments at the brewery.

Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.
    Jan 24, 2015. 02:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    But you're still OK with taking on a controlling interest in MolyCorp for a quick trade, right?
    Jan 24, 2015. 01:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    As usual, a very thoughtful presentation.
    Jan 24, 2015. 01:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    I don't believe the matching principle of GAAP should be part of the very simple reporting of real revenue with real disbursements. I would just like to see very basic comparisons that tell a story of the cost of doing business and how that compares to its sector peers. Then I'd like to see a separate accounting for all of the extraneous and fantasy items that serve to create the picture leadership would like to present.
    Jan 24, 2015. 01:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    Exactly right. Enhance your oral hygiene efforts or limit your complex carbohydrate intake and you can face that drill with impunity.
    Jan 24, 2015. 12:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    Very funny you should ask that question, because I was thinking about exactly that early this morning.

It would be so nice if there was a very standard, non-BS way to report gross revenues and actual expenditures, eliminating the fudge factors that try to paint a picture to best meet a prevailing external or internal set of expectations. Remember back in the old days when people actually balanced check books and truly knew where they stood.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a set of standards, perhaps from sector to sector, that could be used to compare real results and eliminate the games and guessing?

But as far as the actual reporting goes, just as I'm agnostic to fundamental or technical factors regarding a company before initiating an earnings related trade, I don't care about accounting practices. I just care about what the options market is predicting and what the reaction of the stock market will be to the reports.
    Jan 24, 2015. 12:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you.

That discipline is actually what I like about the covered option strategy the most. To a degree it removes both emotion and over-thinking things.

If you have an exit strategy ahead of time it's much easier to get out alive or at least be less injured than the next guy.
    Jan 24, 2015. 12:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks.

I look back a few years and I used to dread earnings, so it's funny to see how much that feeling has changed.

But seeing the premiums associated with earnings just makes me long for 2008-2009 even more, when those were the premiums with or without earnings in the equation. Of course, I was also younger back then, so maybe that's what I miss
    Jan 24, 2015. 12:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Earnings Make The Adrenaline Flow [View article]
    I usually think of it as requiring patience, but you could substitute Jack Daniels.

As long as there's liquidity for the in the money puts those rollovers can be pretty nice while trading to avoid assignment and ride out the storm until an eventual price recovery that almost always comes along.

I actually have a series of Twitter trades, I think about 50 trades in about 10 lots of shares, all initiated with put sales, starting at about $56, a couple of which were eventually assigned and managed with calls that returned about 43% for the year.

Lots of maintenance required, but I wouldn't mind doing those all year long.

Have been doing similarly with VXX, LULU, CLF, CRM and (unfortunately) MCP.
    Jan 24, 2015. 12:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment