George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    A number of subscribers told me that they were assigned shares early. I had been trying to get a rollover trade made since Tuesday, but hadn't been willing to go below $0.35 or $0.40 (can't recall anymore) nor go out beyond 5/23 for a contract.

Ultimately, I decided that I'd rather take assignment and try to claw back through the use of calls using strikes below my original put for this series ($51) and rolling higher if in danger of assignment away from me.

If I had been put early I would have done the same, although I likely would have rolled the dice a little and written a 1 or 2 day contract near the money to get a little more premium and either see that expire or roll up to prevent assignment.
    May 3 09:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    With hundreds of millions of users there are bound to be some people of celebrity worth following and who will engage a constructive follower.

I've found that to be the case and they can make the experience worthwhile. Conversely, you can become that same kind of person for someone else, as well as developing a peer to peer kind of association with others.

Try it. The real challenge is finding the right people to follow and working on engaging with them. It can actually be fun.

Beyond that, it also can simply be used as a good newsfeed from whatever sources you rely upon or trust and that don't barrage you with trivial new.
    May 3 09:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Thank you. Good philosophy. Keep those trades happening while you're off doing something else, but most of all keep that health running at peak level so that there are lots of happy trades ahead.
    May 2 06:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heating Up The Cold War [View article]
    Maybe I meant astrology. Or as Fred Gwynne would have said "Ute?"
    May 2 03:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    You are correct that timeline views don't contribute to revenue. That's why those who do not "Tweet" do not contribute. There is an association between actually engaged in Tweeting and revenue production as only someone who is actively engaged can generate revenue. Since people can and do have follower lists in the tens of thousands, advertisers aren't interested in PPV models (pay per view) as those promoted Tweets would vanish in an instant in such a stream. They are interested in PPC (pay per click). Facebook, on the other hand offers both, as the page is static unless the user actively scrolls

Tweeting is an active event that may include sending a message, re-tweeting, favoriting or in the case of a promoted tweet, clicking on a link.

The body of the article more precisely distinguished from people who are entirely passive, using Twitter only as a news feed and not interacting.
    May 2 03:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heating Up The Cold War [View article]
    I'm wearing that repeat button out.

As an indictment of myself, I wanted to use "ursine" in my previous response to you, but just couldn't recollect the word. Both my Latin and grasp of astronomy are just fine, it's just the brain is on general hiatus (does that count as a Latin noun?)
    May 2 02:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heating Up The Cold War [View article]
    If there was a "re-tweet" button, I'd be doing that right now, although re-tweets are not necessarily endorsements.

You're right. Bears are greatly misunderstood gentle souls. Yogi wasn't just the product of someone's fertile imagination, although he was most likely a composite figure based upon his keen sense of fashion, but inability to select the appropriate wine to go with the entree.
    May 2 02:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    AS they used to say "if you're not paying for itis, then you are the product."
    May 2 12:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Obviously, there can be a wide range of experiences.

One of the shortcomings is that Twitter has done an absolutely horrible job of educating people how to best use the platform and what can be done with it as an entertainment or informational tool.

As with Facebook, you can actually develop of community of "friends" and you can share things with them, whether links to articles, photos, jokes, etc. The real utility comes in when you find like minded or complimentary people or resources that are constructive, helpful, funny, etc.. rather than nasty, derogatory, etc..

Ultimately, I think that the more people you "follow" the more dilute and meaningless is the experience. Instead of getting caught up in the numbers, as many do, just go for quality.
    May 2 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Fatigue [View article]
    Thank you. I obviously enjoyed writing it, because I just could stop doing so.
    May 2 12:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heating Up The Cold War [View article]
    Well, now that you put it like that, I suppose not.
    May 2 12:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Heating Up The Cold War [View article]
    Who said I was accomplished?

Try to stay on topic. I don't see any mention of Apple in this article. Nor do I see any indication that you speak for others, as many would agree, that having 20% of your holdings in a single stock may not make you the most credible of spokespersons, particularly for those interested in balancing reward with risk, which is generally what I tend to focus upon.

Based on your previous assertion that you added 15% to your existing Apple position just prior to that run higher, I would imagine the previous holding, which would have therefore, represented approximately 17% of your portfolio, was all purchased with equally perfect timing at Apple's near term low of about $380.

I would imagine further that, precluding the possibility that you chased shares higher at any point, is the further unlikely scenario that you endured the fall from $700, thereby avoiding seeing a large portion of your portfolio miss the 2012-2013 market's rally, as only an exemplar of perfect timing could attest.
    I suppose you should be applauded for having the courage to commit such a large portion of your portfolio to shares so recently, or am I missing a more complete picture?

However, selling a portion of your shares after the run higher due to the announcement of a 7 to 1 split sounds like a wise idea and is likely to be the kind of profit that many who get in after the announcement and certainly after the split are going to be unlikely to achieve. Of course, that was part of the hypothesis discussed in a previous article that suggested that the time may once again have arrived for Apple to be an excellent covered option trade, rather than a capital appreciation trade Your taking profits would be consistent with the belief that there is a reasonable chance that the run higher won't be sustained.

I'm on the sidelines, as I don't chase stocks and expect little further benefit to ownership between now and the time of the split. However, Apple has historically fared well in the immediacy of its ex-dividend date, so I am considering a buy/write next week utilizing a weekly contract and an in the money option, as a means of potentially receiving both the dividend and the premium during a planned short holding period.

But you're still angry, aren't you, so now you've come here. You may notice, that by and large, people are nice here, even the ones who called me a "Republican."

But I should thank you for the private messages I received in response to some of your earlier comments in that Apple article. I guess people didn't want to expose themselves to any missives from you sent in their direction. Perhaps some of them were among that worthless class of people to whom you referred and took some exception.

They had some funny and nice things to say.
    May 2 04:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Raining Earnings, Hallelujah [View article]
    Wow. Way too complex for me. So many things being balanced and with so many different needs. Even when everything is humming along according to plan so much thinking. I just can't do that anymore.

When I moved to simplicity and stopped over-intellectualizing the process, it became really easy to stick to the strategy, although we've all been to that place where there's just not enough freed up cash to implement strategy, because of some really unexpected price movements.

Good luck getting back on track.
    May 2 01:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Raining Earnings, Hallelujah [View article]
    No, that's not the case. You seek to rollover so that the new premium received in excess of the difference between the previous premium received less the cost to buy back and close out that option. You can also have a net profit when the new sale premium isn't part of the equation, particularly if the rollover is done at a price that's near the money.

The net should be positive and should increase you cumulative ROI.

I keep spreadsheets on such trades and track the individual components of the trades associated with a particular position as it was initially established and then followed through its subsequent generations (see http://seekingalpha.co... for example with MCP for the trade by trade and accounting mechanism)

Keeping the spreadsheets tells me for each leg of a trade sequence what the ROI is and how that may be impacted by a new rollover.

As a rule of thumb I like to try to keep a 1% ROI with each additional roll. The greater a position is in the money when trying to do so, during a period of low volatility, the more difficult that objective will be. Ultimately, I want the cumulative experience to surpass that of the S&P 500 for the same time period.

The ideal, when rolling over to avoid assignment would to also be able to roll down to a lower strike level. I recently did that with Twitter going from $47 to $43.5 and was still able to maintain my ROI goal because the forward week premium was enhanced by earnings due to be reported that week.

However, you can also seek to go to a longer time frame than the weekly that I usually favor. Doing so will provide greater premium and may also allow a lower strike level even if there isn't an associated event driving premiums.
    May 1 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's Raining Earnings, Hallelujah [View article]
    I tend to stick strictly with the out of the money puts. There's no guessing on direction, it's just magnitude of the move and lower costs than having to play both calls and puts. Granted the upside may be limited on a per trade basis, but they accumulate.

I just rolled over my $43.50 Twitter to next week and will likely see the $33 expire tomorrow.

Putting final touches on article that chronicles a few months of selling TWTR puts, including roll overs that looks at how those premiums accumulate. Next week will be interesting with potential lock up expiration volatility, but if shares go lower it's just another opportunity to roll and collect.
    May 1 11:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment