George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • A Dog Of A Week - A Tale Of 3 Flags [View article]
    I'm not as pessimistic as you, particularly since experience over the past 70 years shows that nothing is sustainable at its current price.

As to whether the ACA will meet its goals and be affordable, it really depends on the economy. The more people are employed in jobs that pay a decent wage, the less will be the need for government subsidies.

Additionally, if the demand for workers increases, we may see a return to the days when the distinguishing factor between one employer and the next was in the benefits package and health care is as enticing of a benefit as ever. Rather than letting employees fend for themselves inthe private or public marketplaces, employers, in an expanding economy could see themselves back in the benefits business.

The real challenge may end up being consolidation in the insurance industry and ever increasing sizes of hospital systems that could decrease competition even further and put health care cost increases back on its upward trajectory.
    Jun 29, 2015. 09:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dog Of A Week - A Tale Of 3 Flags [View article]
    With the market's open this morning I'm not jumping in, especially with INTC holding steady right now. But if it gave the gift of a pre-announcement sending shares lower, all the better, but for me, general caution still reigns
    Jun 29, 2015. 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dog Of A Week - A Tale Of 3 Flags [View article]
    I do like Cree at this point. It's hard to imagine any more bad news ahead of it and it's been so long since it has had a meaningful bounce, as it used to do eventually after disappointing earnings.

I also would like QCOM just a little lower, but think I might climb even if not getting all the way to $60.

I had some Mosaic assigned last week and generally use it rather than POT, but mostly for legacy reasons, as MOS was early to the weekly option list and then into the expanded options list, as well. But POT definitely wins on the dividend front. It may be time to re-look at POT for my own trades.
    Jun 29, 2015. 09:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dog Of A Week - A Tale Of 3 Flags [View article]
    Some weeks it may pay to be passive and let everyone else fight it out.

For now that's how I'm prepared to go through the week.
    Jun 29, 2015. 09:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dog Of A Week - A Tale Of 3 Flags [View article]
    How could I have missed not making a White flag reference? I should definitely have included that in the article. I wish I had thought of it.

Yeah, it will be an interesting week. I'm a;ready looking forward to Friday.
    Jun 29, 2015. 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dog Of A Week - A Tale Of 3 Flags [View article]
    It's hard not to call it a victory for those raising the flag.

Now, the pain in the ass part. Was that a literal or figurative comment?
    Jun 29, 2015. 09:09 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dog Of A Week - A Tale Of 3 Flags [View article]
    It's definitely been a strange few weeks and this morning's futures aren't helping to put a positive spin on anything.

I don't usually get too distressed about markets heading lower, but I don't get very happy when the income opportunities start vanishing and but has been hard to get the income flowing.

The rollovers have been a little harder to justify as the cost of buying back some of those positions is well out of proportion to the reward of selling a new contract.

While I dislike seeing a position expire, at the moment, for some of them, I'd rather see the expiration and take my chances on selling new contracts without having to buy back the old ones.

On a morning like this one is shaping up to be, that turns out to be a bad bet, as the opportunity may have been at its best on Friday.

The GME issue is the kind that occurs when shares close just a few cents above the strike, but the holders of the options have a feeling that things won't be looking rosy on the other side of the weekend. That may have been the case,as there was reason to believe that the market was at risk to head lower, as news was breaking on Friday afternoon about a Greece - EU impasse.
    Jun 29, 2015. 09:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    There is very wide agreement as to when earnings season begins and until very recently that agreement included which company "officially" kicked off earnings season. Since Alcoa left the DJIA there is less unanimity, but again, not that it matters.

You are intent on making a case that standardization matters and no one can argue with that, but then again, no one contended that standardization was irrelevant.

Comparing apples to apples is important, but you miss the point. No one particularly cares about the details of that standardized apples to apples comparison. For most people it's not very relevant whether the quarter ended on December 31 or February 15 or if a company's fiscal year runs from January to December or from October to September. It means little to most people.

You may elect to interpret that to mean that it means little to the company itself, but that's not what was said.

A far as Oracle's currency related issues, it should, in fact, have suffered somewhat less than those that reported based upon quarters that ended March 31st, as the USD/Euro exchange was more favorable during the latter part of the calendar quarter and beyond.

Most had already discounted currency as the worst, in terms of the USD's strength, has presumably passed. Oracle simply opened up an old wound for many that had moved beyond currency, just as winter weather becomes an old story at some point. Reporting the effects of winter weather is likely to be more sympathetically accepted by investors when doing so in February, rather than in May.

However, while you discount currency, the company cited it as the reason for the decreased revenues: "....(quarterly results were) significantly impacted by the strengthening of the U.S. dollar compared to foreign currencies."

Perhaps your research should include what the company itself has to say, particularly if you profess to follow it.

But I suppose there is some comfort in knowing that you are able to understand what was "misunderstood by many people, including some (but not all) analysts." It must be good to have a proprietary right to knowledge.
    Jun 24, 2015. 08:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    I suspect you may know the answer to those questions. Being rational in no one judges the actions on their merits, only on their reasons as far as they support meeting their goals.

Murdering 10 million people during a purge may have been a rational thing to do if the goal was to consolidate power through fear and intimidation. If you didn't share that goal, then it would seem pretty irrational.

It took 72 years for their perverted actions, which were rational insofar as they were intended to maintain power, to finally fail to achieve their goals.
    Jun 24, 2015. 10:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    You're right. I should have said "3 months following the close of the quarter upon which most other S&P 500 companies reported."

I still stand by the contention that had they reported earnings when the majority of the S&P 500 companies had done so, within the first 3 weeks of the earnings season, their stock would not have been punished quite as much due to currency related issues.

Most people don't particularly care about when a company's fiscal year begins and ends. It's all lumped together.

While you might say that Oracle is an early reporter, no one else will agree with that, as there's near universal agreement over when the earnings season begins and it's consistently reported as such. The only point of contention these days is whether Alcoa still marks that beginning.

Not that any of that matters, though. Basically, there are only about 12 weeks in the year that mark time between one earnings report season and the next.
    Jun 23, 2015. 11:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    I think I would question the idea that Russia hasn't been a rational player through its modern history, especially from 1945 - 1989.

As far as keeping promises, they haven't, but what rational player would?

Falling for their promises usually carried an incredibly heavy price and I think that some countries that are now aligning with China are discovering the same thing.
    Jun 23, 2015. 11:04 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    Those dice have always been loaded.

Other than pure dumb luck, I think that the only way to be able to select a stock that is about to have a spike or plunge in price without known news, such as earnings to be announced, isn't through analysis.

That's too even of a playing field and every possible bit of data has already been analyzed by people that are likely far smarter than me.

The only way is to be on the loading end of the dice.
    Jun 23, 2015. 10:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    I have a good friend, who for nearly 40 years still starts every sentence with "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

I think I now get it.
    Jun 23, 2015. 10:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    There is almost always a cross current on the horizon. It's rare to have unbridled and sustained strength or weakness, as there's always something that intervenes.

Whether expected, unrecognized or simply the results of intended or unintended consequences, it's always a dynamic world where everyone is trying to outgame the other.

Ultimately, I don't think the underlying reasons for economic data have significance with regard to the market's reaction. It's all about the numbers and the expectations for those numbers.
    Jun 23, 2015. 09:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    You use way too much common sense and logic.

History repeatedly shows that the early stages of interest rate increases heralds good things for the market, but people let their emotions run wild in the anticipation of a return of the 70s.
    Jun 23, 2015. 09:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment