George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • The Crossroads Are Clear, But The Path Is Not [View article]
    Thanks, but don't tell that to my pet lobster.

But seriously, do you know of any portfolio manager who is not a cold blooded animal?
    Jul 26 08:11 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beware The Hand Of Government [View article]
    Thank you, as always Rose.

In general, I have no problem with government's role in our lives. While I don't always believe in the specifics of a given policy or action, I tend to believe that their intentions are well founded. However, they often suffer from horrible execution and without thorough analysis of the unintended consequences. That tends to be true regardless of which party or side of the aisle is promulgating at the moment.

The decision regarding oil, for example, may easily result in increased prices for crude as there will likely be increasing bidding for crude, now that refiners can be bypassed. The IRS decision could also open up companies like Federal Express seeking to convert or spin off their real estate holdings specifically to reduce tax consequences. It goes on, just as we've seen that the Affordable Healthcare Act (of which I'm a proponent) may have had a hand in the decreased GDP for the first quarter.

It's complicated, but that's why we have elected officials. They're supposed to be on top of these things instead of being nothing more than a self-perpetuation machine that spends all of its time seeking re-election.
    Jun 28 11:19 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Things Aren't Always As They Seem [View article]
    Take it seriously.
    Nov 17 08:39 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cisco Was A Friend Of Mine [View article]
    "Agree 100% George"

I may just do a screen copy of your comment and cut and paste it liberally, as needed.
    Nov 14 02:20 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Bought Apple [View article]
    My wife, just got her first iPhone last week, but my son is upgrading. Hopefully the screen is a little more resistant to cracks and the battery is better.

I'm still in the "need to find a real reason to switch" category, but who cares. It's about using the stock as a means to make money.
    Sep 11 01:33 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft: What Would Munger Do? [View article]
    Hey, making $0.15 is better than having bought it on Friday. I'm only looking to net $0.38/share, but looking to do it over and over again.

There's more than one way to get to $40
    Sep 3 04:51 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Carl Icahn Spells The End Of An Era At Apple [View article]
    One of the reasons that I like selling options is that it removes alot of the really hard work. You simply decide at the outset what price you'd be happy with and hopefully you put regret out of the equation when dealing with sudden surges as in Apple or recently with Baidu and Facebook.

No matter what, they almost always come back and present new opportunities. I'm convinced you can make more money by taking lots of the smaller profits over and over again, as opposed to suspending greed and selling when your shares are still high, before the inevitable fall.
    Aug 13 07:58 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Beating A Dead Horse To Life [View article]
    Thanks.

The comments are usually my favorite part of these articles.

Of course, when I say that. I mean my comments.
    Jun 28 10:08 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • That Was The Crash, Dummy [View article]
    The comment was simply that; a comment. It was made by a reader who was suggesting what strategy worked for him.

You can leave it up to the editors whether that would be an appropriate basis for an article, but to belittle a reader for expressing his opinion in the comments to someone else's article and deigning to know what his circumstances may be, is a bit much.

I would like to see some data that "out-thinking" the market is a strategy, particularly since the market has neither a thought process nor predictability.

Now to use your own experience using an investment in silver as an example to live by is laughable. That is not a strategy, it is speculation. or all of your "reading, studying fundamentals and developing an understanding of financial history" you apparantly skipped the part about diversification, in addition to other things.

What you got was a serendipitous occurrence and what it gave you was a sense of arrogance. You have further taken your personal experience and contrasted that to a general application of a strategy. For all you know, the individual who made the comment about how DCA suited his investment needs has out-performed your portfolios, but that doesn't appear to be a thought that you would remotely consider.
    May 27 12:57 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Shades Of 1999 [View article]
    That is the quandary, even if not investing new money, but rather recycling money after closing positions.

Either way, staying on the sidelines or climbing aboard, it's a little more nerve racking than usual.
    May 19 09:46 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Shares Are A Screaming 'Bye' [View article]
    Walking 30 minutes has incredible health benefits. Was that your point?
    Dec 12 04:14 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Shares Are A Screaming 'Bye' [View article]
    No, it's just that there will be so much pressure for another new product home run that the expected good sales and new markets have already been discounted.

The idea of tax selling is an annual thesis, perhaps more heightened now because of the unknowns in the upcoming tax code, but typically those theses aren't borne out in reality.

In fact, the counter argument is that those having purchased Apple shares in the 600-700 range are holding off to sell until after the new year, in the chance that the capital loss rate will be higher, as well.

Believe it or not, there are people sitting on paper losses from Apple
    Dec 12 04:12 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Don't Understand Dividends [View article]
    May I suggest that you pair your remaining Old Coke with some Twinkies.
    Nov 19 06:30 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Reason To Smile [View article]
    I often like to say that it's futile trying to apply a rationale thought process to try and understand something that itself is irrational.

I was of the opinion that there was absolutely no reason for the market to have had an unchecked upward climb. I wasn't necessarily arguing against the market going higher, just the manner in which it did. It did so without even a momentary pause. It did precisely the same during the first three months of this year.

As a covered option writer, especially selling calls, I'm not entirely thrilled when movement is in a single direction. During that period of time when so many were decrying this market, calling it the "least respected rally," I found myself agreeing with the crowd.

That's always a bad sign. I'm not certain why I didn't do as usual and think differently from the chorus.

Suddenly, however, the chorus seems to be changing its tune and I am getting truly bullish for the first time in 2012 (we'll see how long that lasts).

Like you, I revel in income derived from stocks, but I do so more with option related income. I don't care very much either about the bipolarity of the market, as long as it exhibits both sides on an regularly alternating basis.

As far as government and the economy goes, the relationship between governmental action and outcome is so displaced in time that our minds are incapable of truly assigning blame or credit. I've often wondered how ancient mad came to understand what actions were prerequisite for child birth, given the 9 months time lapse between an action and an outcome.

Bill Clinton is typically lauded as having been a good shepherd of the economy, but near the end of his final term the seeds were planted that came to roost under George Bush's first term, just as the last year of his term adversely impacted Obama. It's such a slow process and it takes so long to recognize real change that we forget what was responsible for the change.

Of Obama wins a second term, I have no doubt that he will be considered a genius in a year or so, with regard to rescuing the economy. If Romney wins, he too would be considered a genius as he would be the one to benefit from the very slow moving tide that at some point will make itself felt.
    Oct 13 11:00 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fundamental Or Technical? [View article]
    So you'd like me to do a psychological assessment of comments made by people that have nothing constructive to add?
    Jun 27 05:14 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment