George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    I was considering the title "Beware of Greeks Taking Gifts"

That variance in opinion, among "experts" never ceases to amaze me. It's a major reason that I'm generally dismissive of fundamental and technical analyses. The experts have all and more access to data than the individual investor and they have analyzed the data in every way imaginable, yet most often come up with conflicting interpretations.

When isn't it a crapshoot?
    Jun 23, 2015. 09:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    I didn't mean to imply that Oracle reported later than it was scheduled to report, or that it delayed its earnings. but rather that it typically reports relatively late in the cycle. There are a handful of systemically important companies that do so, due to their own fiscal year designations.
    Jun 23, 2015. 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    Looks as if the children of that generation are now, after years of flirting with Communism, on the other end of the spectrum, while their children are clinging to the legacy of their grandparents.
    Jun 23, 2015. 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    There's enough experience from the nearly 50 years after World War II for most countries to know that when the Russians leave their society gets better. The more indentured to the Russians the longer that takes. Those countries really paid a price for their gifts received.
    Jun 22, 2015. 08:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    That's what Crimea is for
    Jun 22, 2015. 05:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    I agree. I think that Russia, even if it was capable of doing something substantive in Greece, would be far better off letting the system fail first and then stepping in. What do they gain from preventing failure, other than more costs and an unreliable partner in the current government?
    Still, Edward J. Roche is probably right. The timing for Russia isn't particularly good, given the prices of oil and gold and their unexpected client state in Crimea and whatever may still be in the cards for the eastern Ukraine
    Jun 22, 2015. 03:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    True, but that took generations to devolve, including the fall of one totalitarian government.

The real difference is that the Russians realize that they can't count on any Greek government that may be waiting in the shadows to become subservient to it, as may have been the case in years past.

Whatever deals this government might make, with the RUssians or with the EU, could be disavowed at the very next election. It's not like Castro was going to disappear or look elsewhere for his salvation, but Greek leadership could easily do both.
    Jun 22, 2015. 03:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    Have to give credit to a subscriber who described her act to me as a tightrope walk. After that thought was planted the Yellenda designation seemed to be the obvious next step
    Jun 22, 2015. 01:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    NATO may have something to add to that unlikely scenario.

Most countries are aware that whatever its iteration, Czarist Russia, Soviet Union, or Russia - there's not too much in it for them to fall into their sphere.

If any Greek leader truly believes that the terms of IMF, World Bank or ECB loans are predatory or draconian, just wait until they see what's exacted by a Russia that doesn't have lots of discretionary cash these days.
    Jun 22, 2015. 12:59 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Aspiring Retirees Be Nudged Into Living Off Dividends Alone? [View article]
    " ......... Leave the advising to the professionals."

Sounds like sound advice. or at least advice.
    Jun 20, 2015. 10:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I have to agree with you. The comments, especially from those who have become regulars, are really nice. What I especially like is when some may develop side conversations that are constructive and move ideas and opinions forward.

Listen, there are worse things to do during the day, like doing a Google search for Judith Schneider. Maybe her brother Mendel would be easier to find, though
    Jun 19, 2015. 03:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    Do you remember the Li'l Abner character that always had the black cloud above his head? I think his name was something like Joe Btfsplk or something like that.

So, there's always someone lower down on the pole.
    Jun 18, 2015. 01:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    That's funny. Just yesterday I heard that old song about the Nash Rambler.

Timeless, except that someday no one may know what second gear is anymore
    Jun 18, 2015. 01:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Besides sharing a first name, we also have in common the bad habit of trying to respond to most, if not all comments.

I will also tell you that my first love was Rabbi Schneider's daughter, Judy.

Still, as far as bad habits go, that's not such a bad habit to have, although in one of the rare comments I posted in someone else's article, I got chastised on the basis of the total number of comments that I had made, even though only 1% are probably on other people's articles.

This article of yours was one worthy of bookmarking.
    Jun 18, 2015. 10:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    You can be excused for buying a '71 or '72 Vega, just as I can be excused for having bought an '80 Phoenix.

At those really early times in their product cycles, everyone thought they were great cars and engineering marvels for GM.

I can't be excused for purchasing a '75 Vega. I should have known better. I never got to know the joy of it rusting away.

I'm actually amazed at the number of commenters having had a Vega and admitting to it. On the one hand that restores my faith in mankind, but on the other hand it destroys my faith in man.
    Jun 17, 2015. 06:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment