George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    True, but that took generations to devolve, including the fall of one totalitarian government.

The real difference is that the Russians realize that they can't count on any Greek government that may be waiting in the shadows to become subservient to it, as may have been the case in years past.

Whatever deals this government might make, with the RUssians or with the EU, could be disavowed at the very next election. It's not like Castro was going to disappear or look elsewhere for his salvation, but Greek leadership could easily do both.
    Jun 22, 2015. 03:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    Have to give credit to a subscriber who described her act to me as a tightrope walk. After that thought was planted the Yellenda designation seemed to be the obvious next step
    Jun 22, 2015. 01:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Thanks For The Gift, I Think [View article]
    NATO may have something to add to that unlikely scenario.

Most countries are aware that whatever its iteration, Czarist Russia, Soviet Union, or Russia - there's not too much in it for them to fall into their sphere.

If any Greek leader truly believes that the terms of IMF, World Bank or ECB loans are predatory or draconian, just wait until they see what's exacted by a Russia that doesn't have lots of discretionary cash these days.
    Jun 22, 2015. 12:59 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Aspiring Retirees Be Nudged Into Living Off Dividends Alone? [View article]
    " ......... Leave the advising to the professionals."

Sounds like sound advice. or at least advice.
    Jun 20, 2015. 10:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I have to agree with you. The comments, especially from those who have become regulars, are really nice. What I especially like is when some may develop side conversations that are constructive and move ideas and opinions forward.

Listen, there are worse things to do during the day, like doing a Google search for Judith Schneider. Maybe her brother Mendel would be easier to find, though
    Jun 19, 2015. 03:27 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    Do you remember the Li'l Abner character that always had the black cloud above his head? I think his name was something like Joe Btfsplk or something like that.

So, there's always someone lower down on the pole.
    Jun 18, 2015. 01:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    That's funny. Just yesterday I heard that old song about the Nash Rambler.

Timeless, except that someday no one may know what second gear is anymore
    Jun 18, 2015. 01:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Besides sharing a first name, we also have in common the bad habit of trying to respond to most, if not all comments.

I will also tell you that my first love was Rabbi Schneider's daughter, Judy.

Still, as far as bad habits go, that's not such a bad habit to have, although in one of the rare comments I posted in someone else's article, I got chastised on the basis of the total number of comments that I had made, even though only 1% are probably on other people's articles.

This article of yours was one worthy of bookmarking.
    Jun 18, 2015. 10:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    You can be excused for buying a '71 or '72 Vega, just as I can be excused for having bought an '80 Phoenix.

At those really early times in their product cycles, everyone thought they were great cars and engineering marvels for GM.

I can't be excused for purchasing a '75 Vega. I should have known better. I never got to know the joy of it rusting away.

I'm actually amazed at the number of commenters having had a Vega and admitting to it. On the one hand that restores my faith in mankind, but on the other hand it destroys my faith in man.
    Jun 17, 2015. 06:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    Thanks.

I wish I had the cash to have made the same Treasury purchase. I still think about those MAC Bonds and those other opportunities that may have been a truly once in a lifetime occurrence.

As far as those Vegas go, I really hope it was a once in a lifetime experience. You are so right about the way that car burned through oil. I kept cans in the back and would find myself topping off at red lights.

Thanks for including a link to your article. It was an enjoyable read, as you knew it would be http://bit.ly/1BiJa5w
    Jun 17, 2015. 05:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Very nice article.

As I get older I realize that it's not always in my best interests to be oppositional and to have to be dragged to do what is in my best interests.

Still, a little nudge every now and then, couldn't hurt.
    Jun 17, 2015. 05:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    An announcement tomorrow would really come as a surprise, although it is possible.

You're right about the historical reaction to those early rate increases. Too bad they can't been seen for what they really represent as good economic news, in addition to what's been learned from the inaction of Miller in the 70s.
    Jun 16, 2015. 12:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    I had it's counter-part at Pontiac, the Phoenix.

I was driving from Boston to NY one morning at about 4 AM, in my 4 or 5 month old Phoenix, with no one else on the road, when someone pulls next to me and flashes lights and honks his horn madly.

I just assumed he was a nut job, but then smoke starts coming through the vents. I pulled over and the under-carriage of the car was in flames. The transmission caught fire. I think I walked a mile or so to find one of those roadside phones, but it didn't work. By the time I got back to the car police and fire were already there wondering what had happened to me and if I had torched the car.
    Jun 16, 2015. 11:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    Too many good memories of that GM product, although I still have good things to say about my 1968 Impala
    Jun 16, 2015. 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    After about 8 months of lower highs on VIX spikes, we're now at the same level as the last spike. That comes as the last low on the VIX was finally higher than the previous lows after a series of lower lows.

What does that all mean? Who knows, except for those who believe in that sort of chart reading, we may be due for a relative breakout in VIX.
    Jun 16, 2015. 11:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment