George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • It's As Clear As Mud [View article]
    I'm certain that Mark Georg can tell you. But I think that after about 30 years,The Bangles have to give up any proprietary rights to the expression. It's too much part of common parlance to give them credit anymore.
    Jul 7, 2015. 03:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's As Clear As Mud [View article]
    Because the ex-div date is tomorrow, that's why I was asking about the put sale, believing that you were thinking of doing so today. It's rare, other than for stocks like MO, MRK and some others that are frequently used in dividend arbitrage, to see a put (or call) premium that completely discounts the dividend related drop in share price.
    Jul 7, 2015. 01:28 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's As Clear As Mud [View article]
    Don't you find that when selling puts immediately in advance of an ex-dividend date that your premium doesn't fully reflect the obligatory decline in share price?
    Jul 7, 2015. 09:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's As Clear As Mud [View article]
    It was, but maybe during one of those Manic Mondays I was just to unfocused to realize that I sent it off without content.
    Jul 7, 2015. 07:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's As Clear As Mud [View article]
    The funny thing is that when I was younger, I had a hard time with idiomatic expressions. I don't know for certain, but I think it was the idiom related questions on the SAT exam that kept me from immortality (in my high school home room.)

Now it amazes me how a pithy few words can say so much.

By the way, I did end up picking of shares of CY, as well.
    Jul 6, 2015. 06:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's As Clear As Mud [View article]
    Isn't that always the case? But I think you're right about prices going lower, in general.

I think IP has some decent support at about $45.50, but I've been very stingy about parting with cash the past

With that limited cash that I was willing to part with at the moment I did buy ANF this afternoon, but still have trades for BAC and POT waiting for execution, but those may be the extent of it for this week, although Cypress is still looking like a possible trade.

Ooh, I like "The Wool Pulled Over My Eyes." I may have to use that as a title one week, with credit given, of course.
    Jul 6, 2015. 01:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's As Clear As Mud [View article]
    Isn't that a good sign that we worry about other people's problems and for the most part ignore our own? With Cuba coming our way, now may be a great time to think about statehood or independence for Puerto Rico. There may be some financial good reasons to get beyond Commonwealth status
    Jul 6, 2015. 12:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's As Clear As Mud [View article]
    That "stay in" part is pretty important. Unless you have reason to take profits, there's aren't too many people that have bragged about selling in the face of declines. Most are temporal and related to emotions of the moment.

Besides, what are you going to do? Sell one loser only to buy a future loser and compound your woes or just hold on?
    Jul 6, 2015. 12:02 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's As Clear As Mud [View article]
    GPS is like that for me. It still has that stream of monthly data and can trade in sympathy with bad news from other retailers. But the dividends and premiums make it easier to take the regular current of ups and downs
    Jul 6, 2015. 12:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's As Clear As Mud [View article]
    I used to work with someone who had discovered a medical syndrome and had it named after himself. He disliked the use of his name and preferred a more descriptive name to be used.

We had weekly Craniofacial Clinic and he would so often be the only one who would offer up the diagnosis of the syndrome that he had discovered, when most everyone was at a loss for what a patient was exhibiting. Most often he was proven right, sometimes only years later as genetic markers become available.

But whenever he was questioned as to what he saw in an individual that clinched the diagnosis, he always said "the patient satisfies the gestalt."

Needless to say, that cleared up nothing for anyone.
    Jul 6, 2015. 11:40 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • It's As Clear As Mud [View article]
    Thanks.

I also like Ford, but the only thing a little tricky about it is that the ex-dividend date and earnings are usually days apart and in no particular order.

In the event the ex-dividend date is after earnings and shares go down on earnings, I like to pick up shares for the dividend.
    Jul 6, 2015. 10:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    My summer project, to get me out of the house and away from the computer screen, is replacing all of the deck boards and vertical components, other than the supports and joists.

I just received a delivery of the 20 foot length boards that I couldn't transport myself and got 11 of the 13 of those placed yesterday as the market was closed.

The project itself is now about 80% of the way done, but most of it is being done in 85 degree heat, not 0.

140 floor boards, 14 vertical sections with 9-14 balusters each and top trim, 15 steps, stairway rails and balusters and two 2 step platforms.
    It's raining now, so I'm back on the computer and also trying to get an article finished as it does. Yesterday's Margaritas put a dent in my deadline.
    Jul 4, 2015. 12:33 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dog Of A Week - A Tale Of 3 Flags [View article]
    Thanks.

My Cisco was among the 6 or so positions that didn't see trades executed. I was using the same strike and expiration as you had, but I think I had been looking for a net of $0.18

But, I still agree with you. Whether it's $70 or $80, it's $70 or $80 that you didn't have before.
    Jul 4, 2015. 08:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Make A Decision Already [View article]
    Thanks.

But if only it had gotten me from point A to point B, especially if point B was at a higher elevation.

After the experience with Aluminum Engine Block 1.0, which at the time was a major marketing issue, you haven't heard of any manufacturers trumpeting their existence, even while aluminum is being used.

For those of us that were the early guinea pigs any mention of a new improved aluminum block would probably have us running to the competition.

I had a friend that had a 1971 Cuda. It was bright orange and I think it was a 426 cu in, so I guess about the same size as your car. I turned lots of heads.
    Jul 4, 2015. 08:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Dog Of A Week - A Tale Of 3 Flags [View article]
    Mark, what strike price and date did you roll the Cisco over to?

On Thursday I had trades on CSCO, BP, DOW, GPS, AZN, BNO that didn't get filled, but that's been the story for the past 3 weeks.

In general, I agree with you that "80 bucks is 80 bucks," but the cost to buy back some of the positions relative to the puny premiums in forward weeks has become a consideration in making the rollovers for me.
    Jul 3, 2015. 09:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment