George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    I think you may be right about the number of characters portrayed in "The Nutty Professor," but on that one, my heart is still with Jerry Lewis
    May 11, 2015. 12:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    Does that perhaps call for some introspection?
    May 11, 2015. 12:28 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks.

The bond market is just reading the tea leaves and betting that those components that will drive rates higher and cause the FOMC to act, will be happening sooner than the most recent stream of data would suggest.

They were wrong in the beginning of March, but sooner or later, they'll be ahead of the curve.
    May 11, 2015. 11:48 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    Being conflicted may have led to those convictions. If you're going to be a felon you need to enter the proposition with a whole heart and act decisively.

Lessons learned that can easily be put to practice in 5 to 8 years; maybe less with good behavior.
    May 11, 2015. 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    I had no choice. I would face excoriation from my wife if I re-inforced the misnomer. She might require me to re-read DSM V
    May 11, 2015. 10:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    Yup, that's where I put my money.
    May 11, 2015. 10:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    The quantum leap invention remains rare. Not impossible just rare.

The world is filled with exceptions to the rule.

The quantum leap kind of discovery typically then undergoes countless incremental increases in its functionality before it is ever useful or profitable. Further, it is those incremental and below the radar kind of improvements that keep those innovations ahead of competitors. Ultimately, the quantum leap invention opens a door. It is up to the incremental improvements coming from the research lab to keep that door open for as long as possible.

But lets face it, the discovery of plastic is far more exciting than the discovery that moving an hydroxyl ion over to a different carbon will increase the melting point by 1 degree. But that solitary hydroxyl ion can be worth lots and lots of money to the company and without the fanfare.
    May 11, 2015. 10:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    Well, I do have friends with convictions. But to their credit, many more arrests than convictions.
    May 11, 2015. 10:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    The issue goes well beyond DuPont.

Research, however, need not be of a blockbuster variety to have great importance.

True quantum leap research is fairly rare. It's incremental improvements that propel most companies forward. Those also make you less reliant on the rare blockbuster, which can be both blessing and curse.

Separting the research from core operations, isn't very different from seperating sales from operations. An individual cost center may not be profitable on its own, as it may or may not directly contribute to revenues, but they often provide greater operating efficiency.

In the case of a research arm, there is also the question of maintaining sole rights to innovations, which is not quite as clear cut if dealing with a spun off entity, that at some point will have to exercise fiduciary responsibility to ensure that its shareholders see maximized revenues. Those would have to result from creating a more open market for its own research products, which would be to the jeopardy of the company that did the original spin off
    May 11, 2015. 08:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    The low cash position is what bothers me right now, as well, so I'm hoping for some assignments this week, rather than rollovers.

Any move higher that allows some call sales, even if using some longer term expiration dates, would be welcome, too.
    May 11, 2015. 08:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    Interesting that you refer to the best picture category.

Joan Crawford actually won for Best Actress, while the movie received no other nominations. That's a very rare occurrence. I think it's happened about 3 other times.

The Murphy/Hall movie was "Coming to America," and I don't think anyone could have ever given it a moment's serious thought as Best Picture, although the multiple character portrayals were really very good.

I was living in Boston when Annie Hall was released and probably saw it a half dozen times in a couple of weeks, as friends wanted me to go along with them to translate.
    May 11, 2015. 08:42 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    Hopefully history will repeat itself. That's the basis for all of this, anyway.
    May 11, 2015. 08:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    But wait, listening to the entire interview could put things, comments and statements into context.

That's a slippery slope. I don't know if I want to get started on that.
    May 11, 2015. 08:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    I thought that the Chinese rate news might have added a little fuel to Friday's close to start the week, but it doesn't appear that way. If anything, that would have been expected to lower volatility, though.
    May 11, 2015. 08:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dissociative Identity Disorder Is For Markets Too [View article]
    That's only because you don't read my scrawlings on the walls of the bathrooms on the New Jersey Turnpike
    May 11, 2015. 08:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment