George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:

Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    It's true that any of them can pick an issue to try and build a reputation upon and do so on a moment's notice. Pharma, energy, banking are all easy targets, but as bad as they may be, they probably still command a higher favorable rating than does the collective body we call Congress.
    Oct 18, 2015. 02:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    I'd like to see the articles appear on Saturdays, but I think that the editorial staff is thinner over the weekends. It's an ongoing process, but hopefully Saturday or Sunday postings will become the norm again.

I have a Discover Card, that I never use, unless they have one of their quarterly bonuses that are hard to resist. One recently was 5% back on groceries, up to $100 rebate. Those are hard to resist, especially if that $100 can then also be converted in gift cards that have more than $100 value, as is often the case with Discover.

In a couple of weeks my wife is going to put together the list of this year's holiday gift card recipients and we will thank the credit card companies for creating perks that seek to keep our business.

The way I look at things, if I can get $125 in gift card value, that may be the rough equivalent of having to earn about $225-$250 or having to work a couple of hours more in order to pay for those gift cards.
    Oct 18, 2015. 12:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    Thanks. It's hard to have an open discussion with someone who has an agenda, especially when they don't bother responding to anything.

Fortunately, when I'm on Seeking Alpha I have my computer speakers set to nebulize mode and they spray out a fine mist of Haldol in my face.
    Oct 18, 2015. 09:45 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]

Fortunately, there's no shortage of cultural references that can be distorted to fit whatever needs you may have at the moment.
    Oct 17, 2015. 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    It's hard to identify any politician who doesn't fit that same mold. Even Trump, who made such a statement about not taking anyone's money has been taking other people's money and spending that instead of his own.

Let;s face it, most politicians that have big aspirations will take whatever side they believe will catapult them to the top faster.
    I don't have much doubt that someone like Ted Cruz could just as easily be a voice for liberal causes if just coming onto the political scene and the Tea Party had already been in power for years. You don't get ahead fast by getting on the back of the line.
    You make your own line and beat a loud drum.
    Oct 17, 2015. 12:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    There was one year that I seem to recall that the applied the balance as a credit to my AMEX bill, which I always thought made the most sense, but last year I received cash back, too.

I look around my house and see all of the signs of cashing in on credit card rewards over the years. I miss Sharper Image, but that's one great massage chair they had and one that I would never have bought if not for AMEX Rewards.

It's amazing what you can get by using the right card at the right time. I can't remember the last time we actually had to buy holiday gift cards.
    Of course, those 0% cash advances with a 2% service fee for 12 months are hard to beat, as well. I'm not one to use margin from a brokerage account, but I actually use those cash advances to fund accounts whose sole objective is to generate charitable contributions

I'm not certain, but I think one of my kids had GDOT as a client of his when he was at a DC start-up company that worked with reward programs and gift transfers. I've never looked at the company's shares, though. Thanks.
    Oct 17, 2015. 11:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    I think that the point was that when the super wealthy aren't spending, there is some reason for concern. If car sales are suddenly down, but those details that you mentioned haven't changed, there must be something else at play.
    Oct 17, 2015. 11:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    Yes, I agree that lately the options market has been more imperfect in monetizing risk.

In my perfect world I'd like to see a disappointing number coming from China as we get ready to start our week. Buying on Monday dips has been a good formula the past couple of months.

I think, though, that the books may be cooked a bit more than usual and that we're very likely to get a very cheery number from China. I say that because of the comment made about 2 weeks ago when Chinese officials stuck their necks out to say that their market correction had come to an end.
    Oct 17, 2015. 09:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    I didn't name it that, but I wish I would have made the connection. It never crossed my mind. That was such a great movie, If I had only thought of that it would have made a good title or theme one of these weeks
    Oct 17, 2015. 09:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    That's really pretty incredible. The "super high end" means different things in different nations and their importance varies, but it's never a good thing when their consumption is decreasing.
    Oct 17, 2015. 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    I mentioned that in a different comment thread. There are many ways to be smart and to meet your goals. For some it's with a short term outlook with lots of daily management and for others it may be a long term, no maintenance and no headache approach.

I haven't lived in NY for more than 20 years and when a kid growing up in The Bronx, I was the only Mets fan around, who was also the only white kid left in the neighborhood and was routinely beaten up by the only 2 Chinese kids in the neighborhood.

Somewhere in the basement is a box of Crackerjacks filled with sod from a September night at Shea Stadium when the 1969 Mets clinched the pennant, having stormed the field along with countless other morons, after Joe Torre grounded into a game ending double play
    Oct 17, 2015. 09:09 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    I don't know how you define smart money, but even among smart money investors or nations, purchases are made with different time frames in mind. While you may believe that "smart money" would have been selling rather than buying, if the buyers have a different time frame in mind for their money, then they could be as equally smart, even if doing precisely the opposite of someone else who is smart.
    The list of holdings and their relationship to the S&P 500's performance is not terribly convincing of anything, other than closely mirroring the DJIA. My guess is that the holdings of sovereign funds and central banks are fairly narrow in scope and are fairly consistent from year to year. The Exxon you cite, for example, has probably been a significant core component for many years, as would be General Electric, Coca Cola, etc...
    You seem to make many connections, but there seems to be little basis for conclusions.
    Oct 16, 2015. 10:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    As I asked earlier, were you aware of an SPV for the Federal Reserve to invest in equities. You say that it is the Swiss Central Bank and your evidence is....?
    Oct 16, 2015. 09:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]
    You may not have seen the question that I posed in response to your initial comment, as I apparently didn't post it appropriately in response to you.

So, how has the Federal Reserve been "propping the markets up..."? Are you aware of a Special Purpose Vehicle that they have commissioned. What evidence do you have of the Federal Reserve buying stocks other than the SPY charts telling you such a story?

And how exactly do "Big Corporations coordinates with Fed to stop buying stocks"? Where is the evidence for that?
    Oct 16, 2015. 09:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Running On Empty [View article]

The idea is that if taking assignment on the short put contracts you then own shares.

If those shares happen to be going ex-dividend soon, as is the case potentially with STX, the next part of the idea is that you would want to generate additional income by selling calls, but would give some consideration to strike and expiration date, such that you try to select a strike price that optimized the premium, but still gives you a decent chance of keeping the dividend.

On some occasions, you may instead elect to take a longer time frame but with a lower strike price in an effort to get a near equivalent in additional premium while taunting the option holder to exercise early. In that case you then get a return of your capital and get to re-invest in some other income generating vehicle in an effort to compound your income generation.
    Oct 16, 2015. 09:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment