George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Apple Shares Are A Screaming 'Bye' [View article]
    Since this article was forward looking, it can't qualify as a non-fiction piece, so I suppose it's already a novel of sorts.. But then again, many novels are thinly veiled retellings of real events.
    Dec 12 04:17 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Simple Is Better [View article]
    If I were an investor with a long term horizon, I would have been very happy with this move into oil and diversification of the their portfolio, However,even if a premium was paid and the deal isn't immediately accretive, it still feels as if the reaction was beyond excessive. But then, what else is new?
    Dec 7 08:13 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Turning Hatred Into Profits [View article]
    Yes, that's exactly how you should make all of your decisions.

You will be greatly missed. I'm certain that your contributions to the thread would have been of consistently high caliber.
    Oct 28 12:09 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Turning Hatred Into Profits [View article]
    You hit on a couple of really important and related points.

Greed is the real killer. I always get amused when people criticize the covered option technique, for example, as one that limits upside potential. In their criticism, they are essentially saying that they are perfect market timers and know when to sell their shares (presumably always at the peak).

The reality is that human nature, greed, prevents us from doing that. We almost always think that there's more to be had and instead, end up watching those paper profits disappear.

There's nothing wrong with being assigned and turning those paper profits into real ones and then getting to do it all over again.
    Oct 27 10:11 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Turn The Key On This Retirement Strategy [View article]
    Statistics indicate that their is a finite pool of net new jobs in the United States. You may claim that to be a fallacy, but you do so simply to suit a fallacious argument.

The net creation of jobs is lagging behind the demand for such. Even as employment numbers go up they have not kept up with the demand for jobs by a growing population of those newly entering the workforce. That is very often the case when a baby boom or boomlet generation comes of age. At present, that has been compounded by increased productivity, off-shoring and technological advances in the manufacturing process that have less need for a workforce.

Throughout the 20th century there have been periods when that has been the case, but economic expansion mitigated the impact.

You're missing a big point and you choose to equate retiring with no longer contributing to society. The point that you overlook is that there can be a mechanism by which to create income and wealth without the need to maintain your regular employment as you are approaching, or have already entered into your retirement. That is the premise. It is not to simply retire and then live off the efforts of others. Retire and create an environment whereby you create new wealth, instead and also allow others to finally get their chance to enter the workforce and begin their careers.

Not only that, but consider the statement that is so often cited regarding the 50% of Americans that pay no taxes. Besides the opportunistic definition of "taxes," since they mean "no additional taxes," as a result of having over paid via with-holding, the vast majority of people who truly do not pay taxes are the retired, whose income is predominantly related to their social security benefit.

Now, consider the difference if those who supplemented their retirement with an investment strategy whose primary aim was to produce income actually did so.

Did I mention that investment income is taxable income?

Does society not benefit from the generation of taxable income? Beyond that, the job that I give up, in order to find the time to create income and wealth through investment activity can now be taken by someone else who was collecting unemployment benefits due to the scarcity of jobs. Another societal drain has now been removed.

Again, you're welcome.

Your two island concept perpetuates the notion that someone who chooses to retire from a job will simply be a drain on society. It is simplistic and illustrates nothing.
    May 19 07:03 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Money Does It Take To Make Money? [View article]
    Thank you. I was juggling a series of flaming Molotov cocktails while balanced on a unicycle as I wrote it.
    May 16 11:42 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Party Like It's 2011 [View article]
    I should mention that I always wear plaid pants, a bright orange shirt and a beret, to help others locate me, as well.
    Sep 27 05:45 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    As is typical, there's not too much value to addressing the issues that you introduce, as they tend to be canards and completely irrelevant to that which is being discussed.

As you earlier chastised my investigational skills for failing to uncover anything that corroborated your self-reported sense of importance, although turning up nothing on your own to validate those claims, perhaps you should investigate what proportion of my 4581 postings are in articles other than ones that I have authored, before using the number of comments as a proxy for something else, as you have done on two occasions.

In fact, you would find that less than 100 of those total comments are in articles such as this one, and the majority of those 100 are probably found in this very article.

I, unlike you, like to engage, and not enrage with an unfounded sense of moral superiority under the guise of protecting society.

Someday, if you ever take the time to re-read your comments, at least those found on this page, you might just find yourself being ashamed of the vacuousness.
    Sep 26 12:02 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    CrimeBustersNow,

You are either completely unable to comprehend the written word and its nuances in tone or are wholly disingenuous. I'd like to believe that it's only the latter, but that itself may blind you to very basic precepts of standard discourse, interpretation and communication.

To attribute those words to DrP79, as you have done, is really another example and sign of your complete lack of credibility and your laughable tactics. It reminds me of the childhood taunt "I know you are, but what am I?" Most children eventually grow up, but the key word there is "most" and with each passing second the qualifier "eventually" becomes more and more out of reach.

Any objective observer understands that those were your comments, thoughts and intentions. It is equally clear that DrP79 was making reference to your words. However, you then seek to attribute those baseless and frankly, paranoiac sentiments of yours, into the words, thoughts, ideas and beliefs of others and then, in completely baseless fashion, turn it around on them.

Sad people sometimes lead sad lives. I hope your efforts at least bring you some joy, as they do create some laughs for those who read your ramblings and illogical discourses.
    Sep 25 10:20 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Just as you are certain that I know what you say to be accurate, certainly you must then agree with my contention that credibility issues must be raised when certain behaviors are demonstrated.

In fact, I have not questioned validity, just credibility, based upon what appear to be some self-serving interests and the incredible tenacity at pursuing those interests. I would suggest that such tenacity is unheralded in the pages of Seeking Alpha and is further suggestive of a desire to move share price in a direction advantageous to the author, regardless of merit.

You may have also noted that at no point did I take a position on Herbalife, neither with regard to a financial position, nor an opinion on its business practices. Where I take exception is when anyone, whether long or short a position attempts to take actions that could be manipulative of share price through the dissemination of information that itself may not have had its credibility validated.
    Sep 22 12:24 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Thank you.

I almost feel a need to now go long Herbalife, but I don't want to be accused of doing something that was against the best interests of "the children."
    Sep 16 11:45 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Sigh, where to begin to respond to CrimeBustersNow?

It's probably just best to let people read or decide not to read your latest missive and its numerous misses.

It speaks for itself and does a greater injustice to the author than I could ever serve back
    Sep 15 10:52 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Thanks. It's the effort that really counts, just as long as you don't believe that there's some conspiracy involved to keep your vote from counting.
    Sep 13 09:33 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Again, this is not a flag waving issue. I certainly haven't questioned anyone's right to make whatever comments they hold dear or near.

In fact, I did say that I thought this was a good article.

What I questioned was the possible credibility of anyone who seems to incessantly beat a drum, particularly when they stand to benefit from creating or adding to a specific dynamic. I also said that I didn't exclude the author of this article from having credibility due to her relationship with Pershing.

There is a difference between making blanket statements and having a reasoned and non-reflexive response to a continually developing situation. It is, however, hard to understand how someone could find so much new, as to publish another article every third business day for a year on the same topic and to the same audience.

Reasonable people might begin to question motivation and that could begin to cloud the message, even if it has validity, whether or not substantiated.

As far as Herbalife suing for defamation it's not clear that all three factors to successfully litigate such a claim have been met, particularly that any particular comment/individual has caused the corporation damage, as their revenues appear to have grown about 9% in the past year.
    Sep 11 01:13 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Herbalife: Who's Consuming All Those Shakes? And Why... [View article]
    Thank you. It helps to not have a position or a bias at the moment. I do like trading in HLF before and after earnings, however, but as with most stocks I try to stay agnostic with regard to the actual business and focus more on price patterns and history and hope to keep positions for a very brief period of time.

The Herbalife story, however, is absolutely fascinating, as are efforts to move stock price lower through rumor and higher through clumsy and sometimes inappropriate corporate actions
    Sep 11 10:09 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment