George Acs

View George Acs' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Take Your Pick Of News And Its Interpretation [View article]
    I haven't owned MSI in a couple of years, but always did so right before an ex-dividend date.

I do like it at this price, as it's near an almost 2 year low, but I haven't been following any news about the company for a while, so any opinion I have is in a total vacuum. Purely from the chart and the potential return, if assigned, if it's a company that you like, the trade looks good to me.
    Jun 4, 2015. 03:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Your Pick Of News And Its Interpretation [View article]

Not only are they low maintenance, but they add safety as well, as I found out a few weeks ago when working under my deck I fell off my ladder and onto a nice protective layer of 2 inch decorative rocks. The ground beneath was unscathed.
    Jun 2, 2015. 04:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Your Pick Of News And Its Interpretation [View article]
    Who needs age or experience? A phrase like "macro data is driving volatility more than usual," has the sound of a wizened market veteran.

Besides, you can take two highly regarded "experts" with lots of years behind them and they will have polar opposite opinions and outlooks. So what added badge does experience really provide, other than you may have weathered more downturns than the next guy?

Your opinion can be just as valid as the Talking Head looking for an outlet.
    Jun 2, 2015. 08:47 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Your Pick Of News And Its Interpretation [View article]
    The one thing really noticeable about this market is that non-speculative names that have taken price hits are taking much longer to show any recovery than has typically been the case in the past.

LVS is a great example of that, but I do agree with you that at some point there will be good news coming from Macao and from China, in general. All of those stock markets gains there are going to translate into more discretionary activities and Macao still stays high on the list for leisure pursuits.
    Jun 2, 2015. 08:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Your Pick Of News And Its Interpretation [View article]
    I can't blame you for any reticence right now. It really is a time when there's little indication one way or another, but to me, the bias seems to the downside.

The trades today were all dividend related and for the moment I want the added security that dividends may be able to offer. I hope, though, that the KSS gets assigned early. I actually like those Monday ex-dividend dates, but ideally would prefer it if there was an expanded weekly, rather than only monthly expirations, as Kohls now has.
    Jun 1, 2015. 06:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Your Pick Of News And Its Interpretation [View article]
    I learned too late in life that the world can go on without me at work.

I haven't been totally able to come to that understanding in the new phase of my life. I was less than 24 hours out of a heart attack and stent placement 3000 miles from home begging for an internet connection so that I could watch the stock ticks go by.

The worst was a May day about 3 years ago when I reluctantly agreed to go to the nursery to pick up some plants with my wife. While driving there came news on the car radio of what became known as the flash crash.

It was probably a really good thing I wasn't home, though

Now we keep a few acres of rock gardens. They're much lower maintenance.
    Jun 1, 2015. 06:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Your Pick Of News And Its Interpretation [View article]
    Seriously?

You sound like my wife, except that she says that about everything that I say, do or write. I'd be happy to have the lack of hilarity confined to titles.
    Jun 1, 2015. 01:30 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Your Pick Of News And Its Interpretation [View article]
    This time it was my fault. I didn't get this submitted to editors until Sunday morning.

I'm also trying to do a double dip on Weyerhauser, but then it started moving higher. On any pullback to 32.60 level, will try that again.

Looks like people had a chance to re-think BMY over the weekend. That was just a ridiculous interpretation of their clinical trial results.
    Jun 1, 2015. 12:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Take Your Pick Of News And Its Interpretation [View article]
    There's never a shortage of data being delivered, nor scheduled events taking place. I look at it from the perspective of what scheduled data releases have had a recent history of being able to actually influence US equity markets upon their release.

The link you provided also seems to indicate that of the very many bits of news expected to be released, relatively few are expected to induce volatility in US equity markets.

Like so many things in life, it may just be a matter of interpretation
    Jun 1, 2015. 10:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • One Man's Self-Deceit Is Another Man's Rationalization [View article]
    I think that returns should always be assessed in relative terms. That doesn't means simply assessing to an index, but also adding in inflation, as you mention, as well as performance for time money is at risk (compared to an index for the same time periods).

Of course taxes, opportunity costs, time and effort all may play into that equation , as well.
    May 27, 2015. 07:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Think You Have The Wrong Number [View article]
    ADP adjusts their data, as well. Does that mean that they have an ulterior motive? That's just part of the methodology and reflects the imperfection in collection or reporting of data, particularly when a specified time deadline is part of the equation.

The fact that there are regular adjustments points to how unthinking investors can be, in that the kneejerk response is so alive and well, despite full knowledge that data is always subject to revision.

At any given moment, when a new piece of data comes in, we continue to be unable to assess it in terms of consistency with the macro picture painted by other economic reports having preceded it.
    May 26, 2015. 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Think You Have The Wrong Number [View article]
    I have reason to let the air out of my neighbor's tire, but I resist that action.

I think that's the case with US economic data, as well.

I think the data is collected and reported in an unbiased and impartial manner. The way it may be then spun is an entirely different thing.

Whether the government, or more precisely the political party in control, has reason to represent facts in a different light is never in question. They always have a self-serving need, as does the party in opposition.

Personally, I don't care if they alter data, as long as it never catches up to them. But as we've seen in the private sector, trying to alter data and being able to keep it up is impossible. Sooner or later that house of cards crumbles.

Additionally, the amount of effort to "cook" the books and then to keep all involved quiet, in a society such as ours, is nearly impossible. All it would take would be a single purist or a single individual of a different political bent who takes umbrage at efforts that prop up the wrong party.

I'm not too worried about that being the case in the US, but I wouldn't put too much faith in the reports that we get from China. Unfortunately, we're too closely tied to be able to withstand the discovery of any systemic efforts to deceive on the part of the Chinese government.
    May 26, 2015. 08:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I Think You Have The Wrong Number [View article]
    I'm going to a 35 year reunion this weekend. There will be a number of fairly esteemed people there, but looking at them, knowing what they were doing 35 years ago puts it all into perspective.
    May 26, 2015. 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Think You Have The Wrong Number [View article]
    I think you may need to assess whether you really need all of the qualifiers that you've used.

Perhaps?

Some of you?

A little weed?

I would re-consider and use: Without doubt; most of you; lots of weed.

Those issues notwithstanding covered option writing is a simple strategy and can be as long term or short term on a position basis as the writer wishes to sell. It is also a valid long term strategy. It's just that the individual stocks may come in and out of a portfolio more quickly than they do in a buy and hold strategy.

It just may not be the strategy that you use, are familiar with or comfortable with, but many can find time to relax a little easier knowing that they have stock related income flowing in even when a stock may not be performing up to expectations.
    May 25, 2015. 06:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Think You Have The Wrong Number [View article]
    I'll be leaving in about 30 minutes in an attempt to visualize those possibilities. Best part is that someone else is paying for dinner and I won't even have to drive.
    May 25, 2015. 06:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment