George Fisher

View George Fisher's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Time To Nibble On Southern Company [View article]
    DS and Crazy,

Thanks for your reading and posting your kind comments. Glad you found it useful.
    Apr 20, 2015. 05:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Niska Gas Storage Worth The Risk Of A 9.1% Yield? [View article]
    pone,

There are several companies in the mid-stream business that incorporate some small and medium storage assets in their repertoire. I think the business model is to provide a buffer for huge industrial buyers between buying gas on spot and buying on futures. Think gas powered electric generation. If there is sufficient spread between spot and futures, or to ensure a seamless, consistent supply, buyers will contract for storage.

The current problem, to me, is the lack of pricing spread and the abundant short-term supply goes against the demand needs of customers, and until the overall nat gas markets recovers to a sustainable level above $5 to $6, storage businesses will have an uphill battle. However, as the overall usage of nat gas as a base load energy resource increases, disruptions in supply and large pricing spread environments will return someday, and natural gas storage business will thrive again. Just not now. I won't comment on the bonds as the risk/rewards for such speculativeness is not my cup of tea - any more.
    Apr 18, 2015. 10:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Niska Gas Storage Worth The Risk Of A 9.1% Yield? [View article]
    pone,

Thanks for reading and posting your comments. Glad you found the article useful. I never did buy into NKA. From a nat gas infrastructure/MLP viewpoint, the ones I own are DM, EPD, DMLP and NFG. SE is an interesting nat gas infrastructure company wrapped in a utility structure. I like the concept of storage infrastructure long-term as an important component in the supply chain, but there does not seem to be a profitable, independent firm available.
    Apr 18, 2015. 10:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bought The Global X MSCI Norway ETF [View article]
    SG,

I, too, own Power Corp, but don't trade these positions. Thought you may like this article on GBL, PRGAF and PWCDF
    Apr 17, 2015. 10:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bought The Global X MSCI Norway ETF [View article]
    Interesting article. I agee with much of the premise and have been buying Investors AB IVSBF. Here an a bit outdated article on the holdings of IVSBF and would suggest updating on your own. http://seekingalpha.co... One main difference could be the commission/fees on IVSBF may be a bit higher and it is worth checking your online broker to see. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Apr 17, 2015. 03:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Demise Of The Electric Utility Or Are Regulators Kicking Solar To The Curb? [View article]
    Josh,

Thanks and I stand corrected. Chadbourne & Parke LLP is a full service law firm with about 400 lawyers and 12 offices.
    Apr 15, 2015. 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Scooter-Pop

Thanks for reading and posting the link. Interesting proposal. I will watch the outcome of the federal anti-trust lawsuits filed by Solar City indicative of trend for subsidies. Keep in mind the type of pressure the FERC is currently under to re-rate transmission tariffs nationwide after the compromise in the Northeast. I would think a successful Solar City eventual outcome in AZ could negatively impact utilities and vice versa.
    Apr 14, 2015. 10:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    MT,

I would expect NV Energy will fall into line trying to adjust their rate structure. I believe one of Berkshire Hathaway's goals is to expand the footprint of MidAmerican Energy and NV has an acceptable to neutral regulatory environment. This could imply a better chance for regulatory rate changes that will favor NV Energy over time.
    Apr 14, 2015. 10:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Deep time,

Thanks for posting your comments. You are a great example of the downside of these changes for existing solar customers - all of a sudden the economics change and are different than what was initially calculated. One topic of the SPR rate increase is the 10-yr adjustment for existing customers still exposes them to the last 10-yrs of a usual 20-yr solar contract at a disadvantage. I think fixed rate charge increases will become a higher percentage of rate adjustments over time, similar to WEC.
    Apr 14, 2015. 10:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    dunn,

Thanks for reading and posting your comments. I guess my sarcasm concerning the demise of the collapse of the the entire electric utility sector after 2016 was not obvious enough. I don't believe the industry is in imminent danger and the regulatory price advantage of DG solar is being reduced in several states, with others reviewing their rate formulas as well.

I prefer to review trends that are more present and could have a greater impact on my medium term portfolio than a potential threat, that may or may not develop, 10 years out. And the electric utility trend is for higher fees applied to DG customers than full service customers. This will reduce the price advantage for solar DG, have minimal impact on full service customers, and better reflect the fixed vs variable costs of running a utility business.
    Apr 14, 2015. 09:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Utilities Must Adjust To Solar And Not The Other Way Around [View article]
    "Warren Buffett agrees with you: he has divested from oil"

Interesting comment which is not completely true. Berkshire Hathaway has sold its position in XOM, but in 2013/2014 bought Suncor and Chicago Bridge and Iron. The investment in CBI equates to a 9% stake. As of Dec 31, 2014, and reported in Feb 2015:
    CBI $529 mil
    NOV $277 mil
    PSX $510 mil
    SU $697 mil

Total stock investments directly related to oil/energy is slightly over $2 billion - a far cry from being "divested"
    Apr 7, 2015. 05:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Read This Before Investing In Pargesa, Groupe Brussels Lambert, Or Power Corp Of Canada [View article]
    Holmes,

Thanks for reading and posting your comments
    Mar 28, 2015. 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sajit,

Thanks for your comments and link to your article. I also own Investors AB and prefer these holding companies to country/region specific mutual funds
    Mar 28, 2015. 11:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Random,

Thanks for reading and posting your comments. The question for investors is - how much of the pending rate hikes by the Fed are already in the upward movements of the dollar? While the actual spread between Euroland interest rates and the US interest rates will continue to widen for a while longer as they muddle through their own QE / Zero / Negative interest rate environments and the US starts the next cycle of rising rates, and now much of a current 25% rise (from a bottom of 80 in 2014 and 33% rise from a potential double bottom of below 75 in 2008 and 2011) is currently baked in?
    Mar 28, 2015. 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Electric Power: Nothing To Write Home About, But... [View article]
    Rose,

Thanks for reading and posting your thoughts. "There are plenty of choices and we just can't own everything." And why not?

I have not done as much research on WEC, and maybe I should. I bought AEP as one of my picks back in the dark days of 2009 at a then current yield of around 5.5% and a price of $30. It has done quite well based on this, and with the current yield on invested capital of 7.0%, I'm holding on to it for a while longer. As was the case back then, if my legs were longer I would be kicking myself in the butt for not buying more
    Mar 28, 2015. 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment