George Fisher

View George Fisher's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Fluor: Industrial Construction Company Getting Rave Reviews [View article]
    Guraaf,

Thanks for your comments. I wrote an article on SA about AMEC in Sept.

My concerns are more short-term at this point. With low oil prices, the work in the North Sea, which is usually a high cost area, may decline. In addition, the strong dollar will depress earnings when converted. Over the longer term, I like the heavy construction business with CBI (one of my favorites since 1997 when I made my first purchase) FLR and AMEC.
    Nov 23, 2014. 08:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Is A Buy, Especially With Energy East On The Horizon [View article]
    Daniel,

thanks for reading and posting your kind words. I am glad you found it useful. Also, I appreciate your take on SU as outlined in your article.
    Nov 22, 2014. 11:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Is A Buy, Especially With Energy East On The Horizon [View article]
    Buddy,

Thanks for reading
    Nov 22, 2014. 11:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Is A Buy, Especially With Energy East On The Horizon [View article]
    Greg,

Thanks for reading and posting your kind words. I chose to focus on the crude oil opportunities as this is the main reason share prices have declined, along with most all oil companies. You are correct SU has a very profitable refineries that makes the company more vertically integrated.

One aspect I don't understand is the decision to sell natural gas fields in 2013, while keeping its Montney undeveloped shale assets. Although nat gas prices are "depressed", large amounts of gas is needed in the oil sands process, and owning this important feed-stock I would think would hedge some future costs if/when nat gas prices improve.
    Nov 22, 2014. 11:24 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Is A Buy, Especially With Energy East On The Horizon [View article]
    Bill,

Thanks for reading and posting your comments.
    Nov 22, 2014. 11:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Is A Buy, Especially With Energy East On The Horizon [View article]
    river,

Thanks for reading and I'm glad you found it useful.
    Nov 22, 2014. 11:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Is A Buy, Especially With Energy East On The Horizon [View article]
    Matthew,

Thanks for reading and your kind words. I think the point of water shipping is that the price of oil sands production can now "compete" with Brent pricing and the higher prices that international opportunities usually bring.
    Nov 22, 2014. 11:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Is A Buy, Especially With Energy East On The Horizon [View article]
    alicat,

Thanks for reading
    Nov 22, 2014. 11:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Is A Buy, Especially With Energy East On The Horizon [View article]
    Spooner,

Thanks for reading and posting your comments. The Keystone pipeline is/has been purely a political football and a means for the administration to placate their most environmental-leaning base of supporters.
    Nov 22, 2014. 11:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Suncor Is A Buy, Especially With Energy East On The Horizon [View article]
    Mark,

Thanks for reading and posting your comments.
    Nov 22, 2014. 11:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Scandal That Should Shock Nobody [View article]
    Hardog,

I agree with your comment on the value of this article to those being offered the "opportunity" to invest in non-traded REITs. I wrote a blog post on my website on April 27 concerning some of the pitfalls of non-traded REITs
    Nov 21, 2014. 10:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Utilities For 2015 And Beyond [View article]
    Hardog,

Thanks for reading and posting your kind words. I think each one of these involves a bit of risk, they are solid companies. There are few "back of the drawer" stocks (when the certificates can be just stashed away for a while), but these would qualify.
    Nov 17, 2014. 03:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Utilities For 2015 And Beyond [View article]
    got,

Thanks for reading and posting your comments. The Kemper plant is the first of its design and needs to be proven as to its commercial viability. If it is, and I believe it will be over time, then SO has a design that can be licensed. I think one of the keys to this plant in Mississippi is the close proximity of local lignite coal.
    More information on its design can be found in this 2013 Power Magazine article:
    Nov 16, 2014. 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Tax Loss Harvesting And Why Should I Care? [View article]
    echo

As no one knows that the share price will be in 31 days, it is somewhat akin to buying a falling knife and, as indicated above, the selling pressure for the downtrodden tends to heat up as year end approaches. However, if the decision is to keep the stock for the long term and if there are realized gains in other positions, the math may still favor this strategy. Thanks for reading and posting your comments.
    Nov 15, 2014. 11:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Is Tax Loss Harvesting And Why Should I Care? [View article]
    cem,

This strategy works to the extent you are offsetting realized gains taken previously in the year. While $1,000 in tax savings may not seem like much, but put that into a retirement account every year rather than paying Uncle Sam and see how fast that $1,000 can grow and add to your future.
    Nov 15, 2014. 11:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment