George Fisher

View George Fisher's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Out Come The Big Guns: Atlantic Power Investigations Launched [View article]
    "given that I do not believe comments can be posted to an Instablog article."

Look at the bottom of the instablog post and you will find a space for comments. Good luck
    Mar 13, 2013. 10:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Out Come The Big Guns: Atlantic Power Investigations Launched [View article]
    Tenacious,

Thanks for your article. I would think that AT could be a hostile takeover target and will plan to vote down any poison pill, if given the chance. Keep in mind of the 2193 net MW of power generation owned by AT (including Piedmont biomass and excluding the FL assets), 1501MW (67%) is nat gas, 661MW (28%) US green and 157MW (7%) is Canadian. I know in MA, importation of Canadian green energy does not count against their manditory requirements for uts under their jurisdiction.

I would think a larger co looking to expand its footprint in nat gas would be the most logical buyer, not necessarily AT's green assets (I don't consider nat gas as "green"). Here is a list of generatiing facilities by fuel type from AT website:
    Mar 7, 2013. 04:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atlantic Power: A Tale Of Misinformation [View article]

And the law suits begin.

I don't know which is more shocking: this law suit or the death of Hugo Chevez (wonder what Joe Kennedy will do now?)
    Mar 5, 2013. 05:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atlantic Power: A Tale Of Misinformation [View article]
    Corvette,

Another great post - diversify, diversify, and then diversify again. From a capitalization viewpoint, sector viewpoint, risk viewpoint, and broad based asset allocation viewpoint. I had about 1.0% of assets in AT, unlike some securities that comprise about 8.7% of the portfolio (only because the gains are 3384% in one account and 1635% in another). Most quality positions are about 3-4% with riskier ones 1.0-1.5%.
    Mar 5, 2013. 04:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atlantic Power: A Tale Of Misinformation [View article]
    Well stated, and should be an Author's Pick
    Mar 5, 2013. 03:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atlantic Power: A Tale Of Misinformation [View article]
    Wait, I thought she was 1/1,000 part American Indian because her Grammy said so. Just before she passed away, my Grammy said I was a second cousin thrice removed to Warren Buffet, but he seems to disagree.
    Mar 5, 2013. 01:09 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atlantic Power: A Tale Of Misinformation [View article]
    rip,

And that is the reason for the poison pill. Like Algonquin, AT has value to larger uts in Canada that have preset renewable energy generation requirements that will increase over time. Algonquin has hooked up with Emera and will probably get merged with them at some point in the future. In one of my previous AT articles, I suggested this avenue as better/viable option. The question is how much value does AT offer?
    Mar 4, 2013. 01:02 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atlantic Power Cuts Dividend And Adopts A 'Poison Pill' Plan [View article]
    albert,

I, too, bought for a long term hold for both the divy and some appreciation. Bought it in an IRA so the cap loss does me no good. None of my clients funds, however, made it to this stock as it was too risky to recommend. I just hate it when I'm this wrong.
    Mar 1, 2013. 09:37 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atlantic Power Cuts Dividend And Adopts A 'Poison Pill' Plan [View article]
    Heck, even the EXC guys let the cat out the bag months before their dividend cut. I wrote 2 SA articles about how management could turn it around, but I guess I was wrong. Let's see - Capstone is similiar to Atlantic, but my Algonquin is doing just fine, and those gains more than offset my losses on the other 2. But not what I had expected from small-cap Canadian power companies.
    Mar 1, 2013. 04:40 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Atlantic Power - Buy This Merchant Power Producer For A Turnaround In FFO [View article]
    Looks like GD was spot on. Cut the divy to $0.40 for a 65% to 75% payout. It will be a while before share prices recoup
    Mar 1, 2013. 09:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

The Street settled for accounting fraud? Jim, tell me it ain't so (chuckle, chuckle)
    Dec 20, 2012. 02:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    holthusen

Thanks for your comments.

I can see it now: Cramer at the Pearly Gates:

"Jim, I watched Louis Rukeyser. I studied Louis Rukeyser. Louis Rukeyser was a friend of mine. Cramer, you're no Louis Rukeyser"

Am I dating myself?
    Dec 14, 2012. 12:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    William,

Thanks for your comments
    Dec 7, 2012. 02:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment

Cramer is not even great entertainment. I prefer the Westminster if I am looking for a really great Dog Show.
    Dec 7, 2012. 02:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Illusion,

You are correct there are several convertible debentures issues. Look at ATP-DBA.TO, -DBB.TO, -DBU.TO. From 2014 to 2019 with coupons of between 5.6% and 6.5%. There are also preferred shares, 2 series, one has a coupon with 7.0% is convertible and has a reset to a floating based on Canadian 90-day Treasury plus 4.18%. The July convert debenture was priced at a conversion rate of $17.24 with a 5.75 coupon and the Nov converts at $14.50 with a 6.0% coupon.
    Dec 7, 2012. 02:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment