Gerard Hallaren, CFA

View Gerard Hallaren, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • BlackBerry: From 'On The Brink Of Failure' To Doing Acquisitions, In Just A Few Months? [View article]
    Nice perspective. Well done without being a lightening rod for blather. Thank you.
    Aug 1, 2014. 07:45 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    barnsey,

The Passport is an odd Duck, to be sure. Because Foxconn is funding it, I don't think it is particularly reckless.
    Aug 1, 2014. 07:45 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why BlackBerry Is A Solid Buy On The Dip [View article]
    I think the IBM/Apple announcement shook BlackBerry stock out of weak hands. It is way too soon to make much of a judgment on the deal. The two companies have a multi-decade history of unsuccessful collaboration. Apple makes attractive handsets. IBM understands the enterprise. It could work. Yes, I am long BlackBerry.
    Jul 28, 2014. 10:44 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry, Dell Partnership To Battle Apple, IBM? [View article]
    This is a potentially interesting collaboration. Though I am not sure Dell has the application base of IBM. Perhaps, Dell would take over BlackBerry's Handset business instead of Foxconn.
    Jul 28, 2014. 09:18 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About The Apple/IBM Deal And BlackBerry [View article]
    Mr. Know it All:

I appreciate your keeping me and others up to date. Please remember that BlackBerry's ATO is from the DOD. IBM's 2011 ATO was from the GAO under FISMA, not the DOD. As these standards are pretty well known, I'd bet most vendors have it or have it in reach. Does IBM still have the ATO? I would guess they did but there is no guarantee. This is also a server only ATO, BlackBerry's is for a network of servers and devices.

BlackBerry's is for Defense Information Systems which normally are subject to much higher scrutiny, testing, and standards before an ATO is issued. While we may disagree on BlackBerry stock, I think we both tend to believe a company when it states something like,

Waterloo, ON – BlackBerry® (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB) today announced the U.S. Defense Information System Agency (DISA) has given BlackBerry® Z10 and BlackBerry® Q10 smartphones with BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10, the Authority to Operate (NYSE:ATO) on Department of Defense (DoD) networks. BlackBerry is the first Mobile Device Management (NYSEMKT:MDM) provider to obtain an ATO.

With the ATO, DISA is now developing the infrastructure to support BlackBerry 10 smartphones. DISA is architecting the capacity to support 10,000 BlackBerry 10 smartphones by this fall and 30,000 by the end of 2013 on DoD networks.

Cheers and thanks for the info/updates (really)
    G
    Jul 22, 2014. 10:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About The Apple/IBM Deal And BlackBerry [View article]
    I am a wireless guy and I think wireless 90% of the time. That remaining 10% is about fiber.

BlackBerry's ATO is for the BES10 server with Q10 and Z10 handsets. It does not cover legacy BBRY. To me this is an attractive differentiation from all other MDM and handset makers. Secure handsets and MDMs are not mass market products. I don't believe secure MDMs win or lose base on Apple or Android support. Secure MDMs win on being secure, end-to-end. Most enterprises know they have to accept some limitations and higher costs to implement end-to-end security. BlackBerry serves this market better than any other I know.

Why I am constantly suspicious of Apple Security: Many years ago, I was an investigator at MiniScribe, which was a disk drive company that had experienced fraud. There were many reasons people committed the fraud. The company's internal control dependence on Apple computers was a big enabler. Yes, I know Apple has gotten WAY better. This is just why I tend not to believe Apple security claims.
    Jul 22, 2014. 09:37 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About The Apple/IBM Deal And BlackBerry [View article]
    Thanks for the post.

I focus almost totally on Wireless. What is not wireless is fiber.

An earlier post from Momintum reported that IBM received an ATO for other networks. My bad for not qualifying the ATO remark as a wireless ATO.
    Jul 22, 2014. 09:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Breakdown Of Apple's ROE Tells A Cautionary Tale [View article]
    This is a core element of my research methodology. Good work!
    One thing worth thinking about is CAROE or Cash Adjusted ROE. Cash is usually less productive than operating assets. Sometimes it is worth subtracting the cash out of assets and equity and then revisiting the trend.
    Jul 21, 2014. 07:10 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About The Apple/IBM Deal And BlackBerry [View article]
    It was 1997.
    Jul 21, 2014. 07:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About The Apple/IBM Deal And BlackBerry [View article]
    Agree- the comment on QNX was a defense of BBRY's technical capabilities.
    Jul 21, 2014. 04:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About The Apple/IBM Deal And BlackBerry [View article]
    Chippy and vigma -- please recall that a large "chunk" of BlackBerry's IP is in a partnership among, Apple, BlackBerry, Ericsson, Microsoft and Sony. It is also known as Rockstar Consortium.

I has sued Google, Huawei, Samsung and other Android phone makers. Google has counter sued.

I don't know if Chippy was referring to a potential sale or monetization by Rockstar.
    Jul 21, 2014. 10:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About The Apple/IBM Deal And BlackBerry [View article]
    davel,
    When I started my work on BlackBerry (see article for the genesis) I completely agreed with your POV. After learning John Chen was the CEO, I learned that:
    BES10 did a good job managing iOS and Android and was still dominant despite its architectural shortcomings.
    QNX runs Android fine. I bought a Q-10 as part of my work and found it to be surprisingly good. FWW I am keeping it.
    BBRY's relationship with Foxconn seems like a major positive.
    probably most important
    BBRY has stopped being stupid.
    Jul 21, 2014. 08:52 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About The Apple/IBM Deal And BlackBerry [View article]
    Jul 21, 2014. 08:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About The Apple/IBM Deal And BlackBerry [View article]
    As I said, BES10 is a bad idea brought late to market. It does lead the MDM league as measured by downloaded clients. An enterprise can "wrap" BES 10 around BES 7 but it still involves two data stores, sets of rules and two consoles. BES 12 promises to support both seamlessly.

A new competitor is rarely good news.
    Jul 21, 2014. 08:45 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Think About The Apple/IBM Deal And BlackBerry [View article]
    IBM and AAPL are high priced spreads in their core markets. The stocks are another matter.

Clearly we have a difference of opinion about BlackBerry. Yes, like any investment there are risks. I believe the valuation more than reflects those risks.

Yes, Apple and IBM's pricing strategies generally work well. My point is that the dynamic duo are coming in at a higher price than BlackBerry, the incumbent.
    Jul 21, 2014. 08:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment