Giverny Research

View Giverny Research's Comments BY TICKER:

• LinkedIn's 29%+ Downside Risk [View article]
    Very good point. Though I would argue that the users who are dead or that didn't fully fill out their profiles are obviously of no value and should not be included in any "active user" count. I doubt recruiters pay for those types of users after they "scrub" the employment data/profiles they receive from Linkedin. The data analytics are so much more complex for Linkedin because of its diversified revenue streams - as several readers have discussed. That makes its even more frustrating that Linkedin is the worst of all three companies at releasing user data...and other financial metrics as well, to judge results of each revenue stream.
    Nov 15, 2013. 05:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LinkedIn's 29%+ Downside Risk [View article]
    Tom. Thank you. I have no position in Linkedin either...for the same reason. I would say though that I think its an interesting stock to watch whenever the social media bubble does burst.
    Nov 15, 2013. 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LinkedIn's 29%+ Downside Risk [View article]
    Did you read past the first few paragraphs? No. You did not.
    Nov 15, 2013. 05:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LinkedIn's 29%+ Downside Risk [View article]
    I agree the market is off base when it considers all users of these three companies equal. They are not. That is pointed out in the article. You are taking the discussion in one direction that I agree with but I also think you could have gone in 15 other directions to differentiate the users of these companies. The users are clearly apples and oranges.
    Nov 15, 2013. 05:40 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • LinkedIn's 29%+ Downside Risk [View article]
    I couldn't agree more. They've got enough good things happening. No need to hide what appears to be a very small batch of bad news/data. An SEC filing that has nothing but koolaid in it is always worrisome to me and I am sure many others.
    Nov 15, 2013. 05:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LinkedIn's 29%+ Downside Risk [View article]
    What is your case for the 60% upside? That's quite a large upside for $25B company.
    Nov 15, 2013. 05:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter IPO Impact - Price To Users Defined [View article]
    Well it does appear as though they have spoken to an attorney - haha. The disclosure is much better. Thats nice to see. Though it is still lacking...at the end of the day Moe should just realize anyone investing in his company knows that not every investee is going to turn coal into diamonds and make investors $. We are ok with some failures. Thats part of the process. Just make sure the winners outweigh the losers in absolute terms and we'll all be ok and he may not get fired as early as some people seem to hope.
    Nov 12, 2013. 05:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter IPO Impact - Price To Users Defined [View article]
    Very important point. No question. Less shares = greater chance that share demand outweighs supply....which ultimately means that Twitter, or anything other stock with a limited float, will not be "efficiently priced"
    Nov 12, 2013. 05:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Firsthand Technology Value Fund: A Different Perspective [View article]
    No worries at all ER. Always happy to trade thoughts and learn from others.
    Nov 12, 2013. 03:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter - Valuation Per User In Line With Facebook [View article]
    But no real idea how many of the users are fakes/duplicates...
    Nov 12, 2013. 02:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter - Valuation Per User In Line With Facebook [View article]
    Twitter quarterly figures are in the most recent S-1/A through 9/30/13. Not sure about Twitter "figuring out monetization." There is a clause in the S-1 that specifically says they are focused on user growth not top or bottom line growth. Monetization is not very complex, they can do a lot of the same things Facebook has done. I could be wrong but I don't think I am...that Facebook's mobile monetization techniques are not necessarily so unique that they are patentable business processes that Twitter can not replicate exactly or in some modified way. The issue is the monetization (i.e. ads) hurts customer experience and likely impacts user growth negatively.
    Nov 12, 2013. 01:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter - Valuation Per User In Line With Facebook [View article]
    I agree. Yet one more reason FB and TWTR should not be compared to GOOG.
    Nov 11, 2013. 01:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter - Valuation Per User In Line With Facebook [View article]
    Also, its important to note that not just FB and TWTR are being valued at about $100 http://seekingalpha.co...
    Nov 11, 2013. 01:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter - Valuation Per User In Line With Facebook [View article]
    Google is search not social - unless you want to claim Google + is competitive now, which it is not. There will always be a huge ad budget for search and a huge ad budget for social - at least while we are alive. Don't mix the two together as the dynamics are just not comparable. Also, what about Linkedin? Hard to forget them when comparing Facebook and Twitter. Also, I generally disagree. Its easy to say Twitter is the least likely to succeed. They are the small guy. Is there any other reason they will be less likely to succeed than Facebook than just the fact that they are in last place now?
    Nov 11, 2013. 01:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Firsthand Technology Value Fund: A Different Perspective [View article]
    Glad to provide enjoyment when someone reads what I write. Looks like this a three-person conversation and I am not fully following it all but in regards to #1, yes of course, any new accounting disclosure releases or interpretations, comment letters, etc., by the SEC need to be considered and perhaps this is an issue. I don't know GSVC well enough to answer that question. Regarding #2, I'll stick with my opinion on that but will maybe clarify a bit. I'd be shocked if GSVC or SVVC value Twitter shares at around the $25 or so that SVVC had for a "preliminary" 9/30/13 valuation or the $26 final IPO closing price.
    Nov 10, 2013. 09:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment