Global Investing Editor

View Global Investing Editor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Convert To Municipal Bonds [View article]
    if you live in a high tax state you would not have deferred buying munis and muni funds. so we New Yorkers have a laddered portfolio thanks to years of buying.
    I wonder if we are related: my mother-in-law Mildred Gerrard married my father-in-law Alfred Lewis, both in Britain. No children other than ones we know.
    Apr 10, 2015. 10:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Potash And Verizon Are Not Dividend Machines [View article]
    u are comparing apples to oranges. the two companies as in different phases of growth and investment. They are in vastly different sectors. So natch the numbers don't jibe.
    Apr 7, 2015. 09:56 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MEI Pharma: Upcoming Catalysts Will Drive Stock Rebound [View article]
    just for the record, back about 15 years ago we bought into an earlier version of Marshall Edwards Down Under at the advice of a fund manager who wrote for my newsletter. It turned out there was a bribe. He was not paid by MEI but they put money into his fund from their pension plan. And other Australian firms did the same. I fired him and sold my shares in his fund. He subsequently was delisted from the US chartered financial analyst group. So there are some reasons why the market is particularly trigger-happy over MEIP as reincarnated. All these young newbies are buying without knowing this sad history, why I am bringing it up here. Australians speak English but they are not always ethical, and it can boomerang!
    Mar 31, 2015. 10:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Electricite de France SA And A Potential Areva Deal - Nuclear Champion Or Explosion? [View article]
    merci!
    Mar 31, 2015. 10:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Of Seeking Alpha, From One Contributor's Perspective [View article]
    Having been present at the creation of seeking alpha, I managed to get banned from contributing after recommending UK-listed Africa Opportunity Fund, in an article on seekingalpha based on one which had appeared in http://bit.ly/mSQR30. The issue was that the SA editor wanted to know my sources, which in journalism is a no-no.
    For the record, the question was whether its listing would be upgraded in London from the Alternative Investment Market where it then was to the regular London fund trading list on the London Stock Exchange. It duly did get upgraded. (It also performed rottenly, but that was the result of problems of the Ghanian currency and Ebola, neither of which I or the fund manager had anticipated.)
    I made a stance that my sources are nobody's business and that if I do not reveal them to my own paid subscribers I would hardly tell SA editors about them. Moreover this was a rather trivial point in my article and I offered to let them remove it altogether.
    Anyway, the net result is that my work no longer appears in seekingalpha and any subscribers I might have gotten have been lost.
    So being in the publishing business I am hopeful of reconciling with Eli and the editors (none of whom was present at the creation when I first started writing for the publication) and get into the new signup deal, which is exactly why a newsletter editor shares stuff with a free site. My biggest SA coverage was for Royal Bank of Scotland preferred stocks which still are a good investment for yield, by the way.
    Over to you, Eli.
    I am vivian@global-investin... if you want to tell me off. I think you owe me some money still for some pro articles you ran.
    The website for signing up for now is http://bit.ly/mSQR30
    Mar 30, 2015. 09:55 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Economic Snapshot Of France [View article]
    salut
    the problem with this kind of broad-brush macro-economic analysis is that countries like France are full of companies which are growing and growing fast despite the gloomy figures. To find them you have to drill down to corporate numbers to look at company results. There are exceptions in any big country; fifty million Frenchmen can't be wrong!
    Mar 30, 2015. 09:04 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Teva Pharmaceutical: Bold Markets, Bold Moves [View article]
    Dr Jeremy Levin, please. He is not an unknown person
    Mar 17, 2015. 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Banned By Seeking Alpha [View instapost]
    still banned from contributing but I am allowed to comment on others' work. I have moved my affiliation to other blogsites
    Mar 3, 2015. 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Zurich Insurance Group A Steady Gainer [View article]
    http://bit.ly/mSQR30 readers bought last year and paid much less after the suicide of the CFO which was a non-event. ZURVY is even better if you pay less for that yield. We subsequently sold half because our position was double-weighted.
    Mar 3, 2015. 02:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Terror Cover-Up Scandal In Argentina: Investment Implications Of Prosecutor Nisman's Death [View article]
    very good articl>e
    we invested in Argentina in the past but not lately because the govt is incompetent. and the supposed alternative business elements are also
    corrupted by their experiencing Argentine economics, so they are also
    a non-investment, and spend a lot of energy getting assets out of the
    country beyond the reach of CFK.
    Since I am an editor, forgive this green-eye shade note.

you mean rogue not rouge
    Jan 30, 2015. 10:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Oi: A Conservative Valuation Of The Asset Value [View article]
    Desculpe, there are still murky matters.
    didn't Oi double count the payment it is to receive from Portugal Telecom?
    and where is the euros 400,000 writeoff of what PT owes it which OIBR
    accepted the evening before the Lisbon shareholder vote to allow the sale
    of Portugal Telecom assets in Portugal to Altice?
    I am not sure the very high assets being shown are really there. The share
    price is apparently low based on the publication of H1 data but we are in
    a much later period
    Jan 25, 2015. 10:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oi: A Conservative Valuation Of The Asset Value [View article]
    questions on the valuation
    didn't Mr. Gilcher double count the
    money due from Portugal Telecom?
    and what of the writedown of
    euros 400 million announced right
    before the PT vote to allow the
    Altice bid to be accepted byOi?
    looking at the accounts is a good
    idea but there are bombshells not
    clarified.
    Jan 25, 2015. 10:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How The Portugal Telecom Mispricing Went And Other Musings [View article]
    obrigada Paulo for Portugal Telecom
    everyone bought too soon but I think it will revert to properly being priced
    Aug 11, 2014. 08:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Orocobre Production On Schedule For August: Shares Up Over 30% In 2014 [View article]
    If Mr Filice wrote about this stock favorably before, how is it that he owns none of it himself??
    Jul 22, 2014. 09:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chicago Bridge & Iron: Acquisition Accounting Shenanigans Dramatically Inflate Profitability - Prescience Point Initiates At Strong Sell [View article]
    my last comment was removed by seekingalpha which is why there is a sudden mention of shire. I said nothing whatever about the anonymous author but did wonder how the rules of evidence on what people present on this site are applied by the supposed neutral editors, specifically their demand for citations by writers when they say something which is not widely known, in my case a note about an obscure UK listed fund, Africa Opportunity Fund which I wrote would be fully listed because an anonymous but knowledgeable source told me it would be. SA demanded that I reveal my source; as a journalist I don't do that. Now my editor at SA Yosef Levenson (the big beard) has left, perhaps sacked, and my article has been removed, and now my comment on why I am not writing any longer for SA (after nearly 7 years--I go back) has also been deleted. goodbye
    Jun 27, 2014. 08:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment