Global Investing Editor

View Global Investing Editor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Much Does Seeking Alpha Pay Its Contributors? [View article]
    I was banned from seeking alpha so I am not the target for this self-satisfied comment from Eli. I joined virtually at the start when all the editors were different and nobody got paid a bean. I got a following which is what I joined for, to build up the readership of my newsletter, called Global-investing.

I got banned because I wrote something about a UK company that the editors thought I should source. As a journalist I protect my sources. It was a note about an improved listing for the stock I wrote about, which in fact duly took place, but only after I was exiled. So SA and journalistic ethics do not work together very well. If you want the details please just email vivian@global-investin... and I will share them.
    Apr 12 09:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Invest In Aberdeen Chile Fund? Why Not Mexico Fund [View article]
    the fund I recommend is Mexican Equity & Income Fund, MXE not MXF. Just to keep the record straight. And given that whatever career impediments I face as a USA woman are trivial in comparison with what happens to Latin American women, I am unapologetic about backing Maru and also the (related) investment style she has developed. She is a stock-picker not an index chaser.
    As for whether you should buy a fund from Aberdeen based on its "distributions" which include return of capital as well as earnings and capital gains, I think the answer is clearly no. People are easily misled by the statistic but when you get your 1099 the share of the payout which was your own money back is made crystal clear, because Uncle Sam doesn't tax return of capital. It is a way to delude careless investors who don't read the small print. Read it!
    Apr 11 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Best Yield Idea: RBS Preferreds [View article]
    dear ksparks
    I am not sure myself. I joined virtually when they began (and didn't pay people) as a way to promote my newsletter without the hype and expense that usually are involved.
    Late last year I wrote an article with information that was correct but premature and which I couldn't source (to protect my source) and they wouldn't let me file after that was posted. It was about a British-listed investment trust (closed-end fund) called Africa Opportunity Fund which I knew was getting fully listed but which then was on the London Alternative Investment Market, lower status. It was a trivial matter and they could simply have removed that sentence from the article if they were worried that I had made it up. Instead they banned me outright.
    One reason is that there is a steady turnover of editors at SA.com and the new ones don't know the contributor history.
    The other is that the editorial process appears to have become mechanized with people having to do more than they have time for.
    Meanwhile the UK newspaper The Daily Telegraph today write that Royal Bank of Scotland (the common) is now free to issue dividends, assuming it makes a profit, which is still uncertain. That is a further guarantee for the preferred shareholders because they have dividend precedence before common shareholders.
    anyway, if you want to read good sourced action-ready articles about global investing you know where to go: http://bit.ly/mSQR30
    Apr 10 10:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Best Yield Idea: RBS Preferreds [View article]
    hi
    there is news almost daily about the prospects for the beleagured common stock and all the bumbling RBS engaged in before it got nationalized. but the preferreds are, typically, in their own little box and mainly are moved by the bond effect (the shares fall after the quarterly ex-dividend date and then rise slowly to the next.)
    by the way I have been banned from http://bit.ly/89UJPz so I am not supposed to be writing here.
    Apr 9 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: Yes To QWERTY Nokia X And Lumia Phones [View article]
    there is a gap in your article. most Asian markets do not use QWERTY keyboards which are a feature of typewriters in English speaking countries. Not even all European typewriters. You should look at the keyboard in use in a country like France, called AZERTY which is hard to switch to. the one in Portuguese is simply impossible. and of course languaged with symbols rather than letters (Chinese, Japanese and Korean, bit phone markets) don't write with keyboards at all.
    Mar 30 07:56 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Invest In Aberdeen Chile Fund? Why Not Mexico Fund [View article]
    for reasons that I am embarrassed by I favor Mexican Equity & Income Fund more than other Latin closed-end funds, and certainly more than Chile Fund. MXE is run by a lady, Maria Eugenia Pichardo, an extraordinary achievement in the Latin Macho culture. Being an outsider she also favors a non-index based portfolio which happens to appeal to me too.
    Chile Fund is from the Aberdeen stable, a British fund-management group which has the variety pack approach. They want to fill every kind of appetite for funds, as if they were breakfast cereals. They manage money using the same parameters in different jurisdictions globally and with both private equity, closed-end, and open-end funds, whatever your heart desires.
    We own two of their yield funds in our portfolio which we owned before Aberdeen bought the fund management companies, who continue to exercise some control over the marketing machine. However they both are also now in return of capital mode, which is basically a way to flim flam yield-seeking investors to settle for getting their own money back. I am pondering dropping them from the http://bit.ly/mSQR30 portfolio but I am not as certain about them as about Chile Fund. (It also existed before the Aberdeen Group took the management company over.)
    Aberdeen is in Scotland. There is nothing south-of-the-border about its marketing tactics. Maru Pichardo is a certified Mexican and neither a drug moll nor a lefty. Never generalize about ethnic groups like TAS does. South of the border has more varieties of stock than Wall Street does.
    Bravo to Joe Equome for an excellent piece of research
    Mar 29 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Blood In The Streets, It's Time To Buy Russia [View article]
    excelentissimo Paulo
    the only problem with your article is that you are buying an ETF rather than an individual stock in a sector protected from geopolitical risks. I can think of a couple of those, but not banks or gas firms.
    ate logo
    vivian@global-investin...
    Mar 28 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chemical & Mining Co. Of Chile: An Oversold High-Yielding Stock [View article]
    I was born in the Bronx. I went to Bronx High School of Science. I agree that Wall Street is more dangerous, especially now that the Bronx is safer.
    Mar 23 01:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • DryShips: I'm Going From Bearish To Bullish [View article]
    1) it's Navios not Navois
    2) on DRYS, once bitten, twice shy
    Mar 22 01:24 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    dear Mr. Yanez
    Julio Ponce is intimately involved in Chile's long and horrible political history. But we did not sell SoQuiMich because he is CEO. He was also CEO when we bought the stock in the first place. Our Latina reporter, Frida G., initially recommended SoQuiMich after she tracked across the Atacama Desert (or something close to that). She already then was excited by the possibilities of lithium. So we bought DESPITE the Pinochet connection.

Frida then agreed when I proposed that we pull our SQM stake after another reporter on my team wrote up how Julio Ponce managed to get SQM to pay a premium for share he had bought through two subs which control the company (along with shares owned by POT, Potash of Saskatchewan, a Canadian company which runs the legal potash cartel.)

So we sold. This was before the breakup of the other potash cartel in Belarus, by the way. And once again it was not the result of Ponce's political past, but of his shareholder-exploiting present.

More recently, Frida has found another way to buy lithium in Latin America without having to put up with the shenanigans at SQM. It is a play on Argentina, a Latin country with even worse political history than Chile in my opinion. We didn't sell SQM because Ponce is the ex-son-in-law of Pinochet (although he happens to be that.) We sold because of how he operated at SQM against the interest of shareholders overall. I insist that corporate governance was our motive, not politics.

NB: Many institutional investors from Chile also sold SQM at the same time we did after they were outvoted in trying to block the Ponce share manoeuver which made money for him at the expense of SQM stock. It is important for pension plans, insurance companies, and mutual funds (Chilean ones) to also be able to trust management at companies they invest in. As Chilean institutions they operate on behalf of the citizens of Chile who will be retiring some day or collecting on their funds or getting insurance benefits. They are not reacting to politics but to their obligation to invest wisely.

Mr Ponce is still on the board and in the executive suite and controls the largest share block with POT. Madoff is in jail. Grasso was fired and disgraced. As an international MBA you must realize that Chile needs to improve its corporate governance.

The fact that other countries have problems too is irrelevant. As a Chilean you have a duty to work on improving the investment climate, and not leaving it to lefties.

I have been to Chile, but only as a tourist and that doesn't count in this case.
    Mar 16 11:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    we have just added a new stock competing with SQM to our speculative portfolio at http://bit.ly/mSQR30 and moreover SQM just reported quite lousy earnings, not I think because of the Conte raid on shareholder interests but who knows? as for US scandals the different result (Grasso was fired!) shows that the level of tolerance for shenanigans is lower stateside than in the Chilean oligarchy. And even there the institutional investors (local pension plans) protested against the packed board.
    Mar 5 09:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wall Street Breakfast: Must-Know News [View article]
    the outfit c got into trouble with in Mexico is Banamex not banco national de mexico which is the central bank.
    Mar 3 08:23 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BCE Inc. Dividend Fact Sheet [View article]
    US shareholders can get back the Canadian tax on BCE if they own the shares outright by using the bite to offset other taxes they might owe on dividends.lt is not a loss of income as some of the comments seem to imply. This is standard for Canadian firms. By the way it is not because BCE is Canadian that it reports in loonies. lots of Canada firms listed on the NYSE like BCE report in US dollars. It depends on the source of their sales and earnings.
    Feb 24 12:48 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 High Dividend Foreign Banks With The Footprint To Grow Profits And Dividends [View article]
    good article mainly because you are agreeing with me. Global Investing's portfolio includes both Banco Latino, BLX, which is Panamanian but which reports in US$ and in US GAAP, and Bank of Nova Scotia, BNS, which of course is Canadian. My logic is that I want to have my Latin American exposure in normal banks which report according to standard metrics rather than in local
    banks whose accounts are subject to political pressures. The two banks, normally called Bladex and Scotiabank in Latin America both fill the bill. If you would prefer a bank reporting in Argentina format or as designated to do in
    Venezuela, be my guest.
    Feb 19 03:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Brief History Of Gold And Why It's Overvalued By A Factor Of 2 [View article]
    re Teva. Master investor George Soros's family fund put 4% of its zillions of dollars into the Israeli generics company stock in the last quarter when its new manager took over from the fired head-hunted Dr. Jeremy Levin who was going to turn the company around as the patent on copaxone against multiple sclerosis ran out. That is the big earner for Teva now.
    So Soros is bullish on Teva. Another good thing is that Dr. Philip Frost, the Teva chairman, who is rumored to have engineered the ouster of Levin, himself is preparing to step down, according to an interview he gave to Reuters.
    both doctors of course have experience in managing drug companies which is what the new Teva prexy obviously lacks. But somehow he convinced Soros to get into Teva. So maybe I was wrong to sell. But for US tax reasons (my profits were huge!) I had to keep my non IRA shares.
    As for Mr. Dow Jones' gold coins, faggedaboutit. They are physical gold but sold with a markup based on things that have nada to do with the gold content, like the wear on the coins and how rare they are. If you want to own physical gold priced right and efficiently visit my website (http://bit.ly/mSQR30) and hit the button for our advertiser (http://bit.ly/NnkgZd). They sell phys gold in amounts up to the investor at prices with virtually no markup and store it for you until you decide to sell it at virtually no markdown.
    Feb 19 08:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment