Global Investing Editor

View Global Investing Editor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Is This The World's #1 Pairs Trade? [View article]
    Mr. DeMuth is repeating a pairs trade undertaken last year by the managers of Africa Opportunity Fund, the London-listed dollar-denominated closed end Fund which I recommended in seekingalpha. While it sounds like a slam dunk, they managed to lose money on the pairs, I am not sure how.
    Jun 23, 2015. 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Schlumberger: Can CEO's Meeting With Putin Salvage Eurasia Deal? [View article]
    The company is headed by a Norwegian and incorporated in The Netherlands. Its major shareholders are descendents of the French bothers who founded Schlumberger in the 1920s, mostly French. So to assume that there is any way that SLB will become the victim of Russian reprisals against US 'boots on the ground' in eastern Europe would be attacking the wrong country. The commercial plane that was shot down over Ukraine by Russian missiles was a KLM plane en route to the Far East so the Dutch have their own skin in the game already. Paal Kibsgaard as the CEO of a Dutch firm would not be licking Putin's shoes in any case.
    As for shorting SLB, I would warn against this. The current oil price will keep smaller rival oil search technology firms from continuing to operate profitably, including Eurasia and its prime customer, Lukoil, but also plenty of other more capitalistic Western companies in the oil patch.
    Jun 22, 2015. 05:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pakistan Carries Lots Of Risk, But May Also Offer High Reward [View article]
    a year ago when Modi invited his Pakistani counterpart to his inauguration I went on a search for a Pakistan ETF. Helped by a college classmate who was a US stockbroker and had lived in Lahore for years before her Pakistani husband died, I wound up in a Deutsche Bank MSCI Pakistan index fund traded in... Hong Kong. Now the US equivalent has launched at last.
    While obviously generalizations about any country's readiness for capitalist development are likely to be wrong, there is plenty of evidence, apart from my Lahore classmate, of entrepreneurship on the ground. The country is ruled by an oligarchy of landowners with military links, not a pretty picture, and many elements of the Islamabed ruling group are close to the Muslim extremists attacking India and running things in Afghanistan.
    Yet in the midst of this mess, there are shoots of capitalism, starting with the garment industry which operates both on behalf of western companies and, in a few cases, mass-producing lovely non-traditional women's fashion items. Because of Islamic food rules, Pakistan also makes basics for Muslims like cooking oil guaranteed not to contain banned lard.
    It moreover has an old trade entrepot in Karachi. I am not ready to write Pakistan off as too socialist (it is not socialist at all, more like feudal in my opinion) or too fundamentalist as one writer suggested earlier.
    As for being punctual, that is not always the fault of the person who is late given the state of the roads.
    I am going to look into converting my Hong Kong DBMSCI shares into US ETF ones. Thanks
    Jun 19, 2015. 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Russia Nix Schlumberger's 'Sweetheart Deal' For Eurasia Drilling? [View article]
    sure it has less exposure to North America, but Borshe moi, it also has a lot more exposure to Russia. You cannot compare global operator metrics to those for a company doing business in Russia and the Caspian offshore.
    May 27, 2015. 05:43 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing In The French Socialist Paradise [View article]
    Bonjour
    the ticker symbol for Sanofi is SNY not SNF.
    Bien a vous
    May 20, 2015. 05:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Tencent: The Well-Rounded Technology Giant [View article]
    a fine job. there is an African way to buy into Tencent which is how we got there. Something like 32% of Tencent is owned by Naspers, a media group from South Africa.
    May 20, 2015. 05:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Convert To Municipal Bonds [View article]
    if you live in a high tax state you would not have deferred buying munis and muni funds. so we New Yorkers have a laddered portfolio thanks to years of buying.
    I wonder if we are related: my mother-in-law Mildred Gerrard married my father-in-law Alfred Lewis, both in Britain. No children other than ones we know.
    Apr 10, 2015. 10:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Potash And Verizon Are Not Dividend Machines [View article]
    u are comparing apples to oranges. the two companies as in different phases of growth and investment. They are in vastly different sectors. So natch the numbers don't jibe.
    Apr 7, 2015. 09:56 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MEI Pharma: Upcoming Catalysts Will Drive Stock Rebound [View article]
    just for the record, back about 15 years ago we bought into an earlier version of Marshall Edwards Down Under at the advice of a fund manager who wrote for my newsletter. It turned out there was a bribe. He was not paid by MEI but they put money into his fund from their pension plan. And other Australian firms did the same. I fired him and sold my shares in his fund. He subsequently was delisted from the US chartered financial analyst group. So there are some reasons why the market is particularly trigger-happy over MEIP as reincarnated. All these young newbies are buying without knowing this sad history, why I am bringing it up here. Australians speak English but they are not always ethical, and it can boomerang!
    Mar 31, 2015. 10:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Electricite de France SA And A Potential Areva Deal - Nuclear Champion Or Explosion? [View article]
    merci!
    Mar 31, 2015. 10:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Future Of Seeking Alpha, From One Contributor's Perspective [View article]
    Having been present at the creation of seeking alpha, I managed to get banned from contributing after recommending UK-listed Africa Opportunity Fund, in an article on seekingalpha based on one which had appeared in http://bit.ly/mSQR30. The issue was that the SA editor wanted to know my sources, which in journalism is a no-no.
    For the record, the question was whether its listing would be upgraded in London from the Alternative Investment Market where it then was to the regular London fund trading list on the London Stock Exchange. It duly did get upgraded. (It also performed rottenly, but that was the result of problems of the Ghanian currency and Ebola, neither of which I or the fund manager had anticipated.)
    I made a stance that my sources are nobody's business and that if I do not reveal them to my own paid subscribers I would hardly tell SA editors about them. Moreover this was a rather trivial point in my article and I offered to let them remove it altogether.
    Anyway, the net result is that my work no longer appears in seekingalpha and any subscribers I might have gotten have been lost.
    So being in the publishing business I am hopeful of reconciling with Eli and the editors (none of whom was present at the creation when I first started writing for the publication) and get into the new signup deal, which is exactly why a newsletter editor shares stuff with a free site. My biggest SA coverage was for Royal Bank of Scotland preferred stocks which still are a good investment for yield, by the way.
    Over to you, Eli.
    I am vivian@global-investin... if you want to tell me off. I think you owe me some money still for some pro articles you ran.
    The website for signing up for now is http://bit.ly/mSQR30
    Mar 30, 2015. 09:55 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • An Economic Snapshot Of France [View article]
    salut
    the problem with this kind of broad-brush macro-economic analysis is that countries like France are full of companies which are growing and growing fast despite the gloomy figures. To find them you have to drill down to corporate numbers to look at company results. There are exceptions in any big country; fifty million Frenchmen can't be wrong!
    Mar 30, 2015. 09:04 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Teva Pharmaceutical: Bold Markets, Bold Moves [View article]
    Dr Jeremy Levin, please. He is not an unknown person
    Mar 17, 2015. 12:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Banned By Seeking Alpha [View instapost]
    still banned from contributing but I am allowed to comment on others' work. I have moved my affiliation to other blogsites
    Mar 3, 2015. 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Zurich Insurance Group A Steady Gainer [View article]
    http://bit.ly/mSQR30 readers bought last year and paid much less after the suicide of the CFO which was a non-event. ZURVY is even better if you pay less for that yield. We subsequently sold half because our position was double-weighted.
    Mar 3, 2015. 02:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment