Global Investing Editor

View Global Investing Editor's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Are Vale S.A. And Cliffs Natural Resources Good Investments? [View article]
    1) Dilma is falling in the polls. she may not avoid a runoff according
    to the latest polls.

2) Brazil is a democracy and under the rule of law. The country's
    Supreme Court sharply cut the capital gains tax on foreign deals
    which the taxman hit Vale with; the government is now appealing
    the Supreme Court decision, which apparently you can do in
    Brazil (if not in the USA.)
    The large original tax bill on Vale was thrown out because of
    Brazil's double taxation treaties with some of the countries where
    Vale booked its capital gains; however there is no double tax
    treaty with Singapore so there the tax authorities won.

3) the theory that tax rules in Canda are more benevolent is a
    mistake. admittedly they don't talk Portuguese but some years ago
    the Ottawa govt imposed a change on how it taxes investment trusts
    which hit many US yield investors with an unexpected big tax bill. It
    was called the Halloween Surprise.

4) forecasting iron ore prices requires that you predict Chinese growth.
    I don't think the writer took that on. Backward looking analysis to
    compare two companies is not helpful; you have to look forward.

5) why I prefer Vale based on FORWARD analysis:
    a) it is cheaper producer of iron ore pellets
    b) it mines nickel which is in short supply and makers up for the iron glut
    c) it is directly involved in keeping a huge African mine in Guinea from
    adding to the iron ore glut
    d) it is using its profits to build out the infrastructure in Brazil for future
    deliveries of ore from mines that will come on when demand picks up
    May 9, 2014. 10:25 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is GE A Better Investment Than 3M? [View article]
    I own GE but not MMM. I think once again that a proper survey of the company has not been done by this contributor as he left out the GE plan to buy Altom of France which was in the news a week ago, before his article was posted. Winning Strategies need to take into account corporate moves as well as the latest quarterly reports and yields. This contributor writes an article a day under the same format (comparing two big well-known popular stocks) but his comparisons are not up to date. I distrust anonymity and this stuff is very patchy and incomplete.
    May 7, 2014. 07:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Noble A Better Buy Than Ensco? [View article]
    the trouble with this article, yet another churn by the contributor, is that he or she leaves out a couple of things I know about Noble Energy. I do not know Ensco as well. First NE is spinning off its drilling rigs into a new company called Spinco (probably ultimately to be called Paragon.) Surely a serious analysis of NE should not omit this? also Noble is operator and a major shareholder in Israeli offshore drilling in gasfields called Tamar and Leviathan. Surely a serious analysis of NE should not omit this?
    The contributor of an article a day cannot do full research, in my opinion. lower your numbers and do a proper research job and then write in better English.
    May 7, 2014. 07:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Vale S.A. And Cliffs Natural Resources Good Investments? [View article]
    I have never heard of a charter accountant. Aren't you a chartered accountant as in the UK, or a certified public accountant as in the USA-- or are you making it up? SG&A stands for selling, general, and administrative expenses not the hash you made of it. And nobody should write about iron ore markets without even mentioning the major importer over the past half dozen years, which is China.
    May 7, 2014. 07:33 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Brief History Of Gold And Why It's Overvalued By A Factor Of 2 [View article]
    crazy girlfriend comments:
    did anyone in this extended commentary think that
    gold would rise because of the risk of war over Ukraine?
    gold is a haven not only against inflation and mispriced
    fiat currency. It is also a way to shelter your wealth in the
    event of geopolitical upheaval. Think Vietnamese boat
    people.
    May 5, 2014. 09:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Best Yield Idea: RBS Preferreds [View article]
    the main trigger of the rise in RBS preferreds was the excellent quarterly report on the common shares, which may NOT be repeated. The rise in profits resulted from the reversal of provisions for loan losses, which is to say, something that can only happen once. The politics of the RBS controlling shareholder (the government of the United Kingdom with 82%) also makes it hard to cheer too hard about Q1 figures. The bank is being asked to channel lending to small businesses which are more likely to require provisions for loan losses going forward. That is not to say that the preferred shares are not a good buy. They are, but onlyif they are below par (Par is $25 for each of the US-traded prefs.)
    The fact that NatWest is rated higher for purely technical reasons cited my Martinfrosa would be a precedent. The game I play is to buy preferred below par, in fact well below par, to get a high yield.
    Thank you purple mountain girl for your kind comments.
    May 3, 2014. 10:35 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I mean both
    Apr 23, 2014. 06:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    go Jeffrey Dow Jones, go!
    you are in the midst of a thicket of obstruse gold bugs buzzing at you. tell them what the gold price you predict is and then prove your case.
    I am impressed by how calmly you deal with the zealots. I would have dropped
    out ages ago. vivian at global dash investing dot com
    Apr 21, 2014. 01:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Blood In The Streets, It's Time To Buy Russia [View article]
    the trouble is that Paulo Santos is Portuguese and Portugal gave up Olivienca to Spain and never recovered it since. That is not in my view how people behave outside the Iberian peninsula. And even there the Spaniards still want to take Gibraltar back from Britain
    I do not expect Russia to get away with putting its claws into eastern Ukraine without a fight which will involve more than just Ukrainian troops. So in fact I think Putin will blink. But then again I studied history in college and could never figure out why Kaiser Bill didn't blink in 1914, just 100 years ago this coming summer.
    Apr 21, 2014. 01:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Does Seeking Alpha Pay Its Contributors? [View article]
    not every writer will be ethically able to reveal her sources at seekingalpha, as happened to me. I started in life as a journalist and we do not reveal our sources if they speak to us off the record, as one did to me. He was right and the news he shared which I tried to post on SA panned out. But because I wouldn't throw him to the SA editorial inquisitors I wound up having my article banned and later any articles banned. I am not sure on what basis SA, which is a publication, does this but they violate the deontology of journalists.
    Apr 21, 2014. 01:35 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Does Seeking Alpha Pay Its Contributors? [View article]
    I was banned from seeking alpha so I am not the target for this self-satisfied comment from Eli. I joined virtually at the start when all the editors were different and nobody got paid a bean. I got a following which is what I joined for, to build up the readership of my newsletter, called Global-investing.

I got banned because I wrote something about a UK company that the editors thought I should source. As a journalist I protect my sources. It was a note about an improved listing for the stock I wrote about, which in fact duly took place, but only after I was exiled. So SA and journalistic ethics do not work together very well. If you want the details please just email vivian@global-investin... and I will share them.
    Apr 12, 2014. 09:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Invest In Aberdeen Chile Fund? Why Not Mexico Fund [View article]
    the fund I recommend is Mexican Equity & Income Fund, MXE not MXF. Just to keep the record straight. And given that whatever career impediments I face as a USA woman are trivial in comparison with what happens to Latin American women, I am unapologetic about backing Maru and also the (related) investment style she has developed. She is a stock-picker not an index chaser.
    As for whether you should buy a fund from Aberdeen based on its "distributions" which include return of capital as well as earnings and capital gains, I think the answer is clearly no. People are easily misled by the statistic but when you get your 1099 the share of the payout which was your own money back is made crystal clear, because Uncle Sam doesn't tax return of capital. It is a way to delude careless investors who don't read the small print. Read it!
    Apr 11, 2014. 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Best Yield Idea: RBS Preferreds [View article]
    dear ksparks
    I am not sure myself. I joined virtually when they began (and didn't pay people) as a way to promote my newsletter without the hype and expense that usually are involved.
    Late last year I wrote an article with information that was correct but premature and which I couldn't source (to protect my source) and they wouldn't let me file after that was posted. It was about a British-listed investment trust (closed-end fund) called Africa Opportunity Fund which I knew was getting fully listed but which then was on the London Alternative Investment Market, lower status. It was a trivial matter and they could simply have removed that sentence from the article if they were worried that I had made it up. Instead they banned me outright.
    One reason is that there is a steady turnover of editors at SA.com and the new ones don't know the contributor history.
    The other is that the editorial process appears to have become mechanized with people having to do more than they have time for.
    Meanwhile the UK newspaper The Daily Telegraph today write that Royal Bank of Scotland (the common) is now free to issue dividends, assuming it makes a profit, which is still uncertain. That is a further guarantee for the preferred shareholders because they have dividend precedence before common shareholders.
    anyway, if you want to read good sourced action-ready articles about global investing you know where to go: http://bit.ly/mSQR30
    Apr 10, 2014. 10:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Best Yield Idea: RBS Preferreds [View article]
    hi
    there is news almost daily about the prospects for the beleagured common stock and all the bumbling RBS engaged in before it got nationalized. but the preferreds are, typically, in their own little box and mainly are moved by the bond effect (the shares fall after the quarterly ex-dividend date and then rise slowly to the next.)
    by the way I have been banned from http://bit.ly/89UJPz so I am not supposed to be writing here.
    Apr 9, 2014. 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia: Yes To QWERTY Nokia X And Lumia Phones [View article]
    there is a gap in your article. most Asian markets do not use QWERTY keyboards which are a feature of typewriters in English speaking countries. Not even all European typewriters. You should look at the keyboard in use in a country like France, called AZERTY which is hard to switch to. the one in Portuguese is simply impossible. and of course languaged with symbols rather than letters (Chinese, Japanese and Korean, bit phone markets) don't write with keyboards at all.
    Mar 30, 2014. 07:56 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment