Gregory Ness

View Gregory Ness' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Automation: The Next Hybrid Cloud Battle [View article]
    I stay close to the companies and technologies which I'm familiar, versus covering "IT automation" which is a very general category. That means that I focus on servers, networking, virtualization and cloud computing... I don't see myself evaluating software for devices and commenting on its level of automation. Apologies.
    Jan 23 11:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Automation: The Next Hybrid Cloud Battle [View article]
    When I refer to automation I imply the ability to accomplish complex feats with increasing agility and efficiency. The complexity isn't eliminated (as some might think) but rather hidden. The evolution of the operating system, from CLI code to visualization and icons is an example of automation replacing otherwise arcane tasks once required to accomplish something.
    Jan 22 01:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Automation: The Next Hybrid Cloud Battle [View article]
    Thanks for the comments. I do think that IT pros will be managing larger and more agile environments in the near future, often made possible by higher levels of automation in the clouds. The cloud is not a panacea but it is a revolution in the delivery of apps and services.
    Jan 22 11:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon, Microsoft And The Colocation Challenge [View article]
    Did you see this chart on the growth in ORCL licenses?
    Dec 19 12:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon, Microsoft And The Colocation Challenge [View article]
    This link might help: http://bit.ly/J7VIC4
    Dec 19 12:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 Winners From The 'Hybrid Cloud' [View article]
    A related article which sees hybrid cloud still up for grabs: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Dec 18 12:50 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon, Microsoft And The Colocation Challenge [View article]
    Very relevant but not critical IMHO. I have not had much access to GOOG execs to get their perspective on hybrid cloud and as yet don't see them winning over enterprise execs (versus AWS, OpenStack, vCloud, Azure, etc.) so I generally don't discuss them. G
    Dec 17 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Ascends Into The Hybrid Cloud [View article]
    Microsoft announces CloudOS Network: http://bit.ly/1bZCb3w
    Dec 12 02:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon, Microsoft And The Colocation Challenge [View article]
    Michael: Thanks for your comments. Good luck with ORCL.
    Dec 11 04:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon, Microsoft And The Colocation Challenge [View article]
    I think the powerhouse AWS opportunity is to move IT from maintenance mode into product and service development mode. To me, that is one of the most powerful implications of the shift from servers to APIs.
    Dec 11 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon, Microsoft And The Colocation Challenge [View article]
    Security and management are issues... but IMHO they are being addressed at an accelerated pace, which is why I predicted recently that AWS would embrace the hybrid cloud: http://bit.ly/1bEsIwI

Thanks for the comment
    Dec 11 02:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon, Microsoft And The Colocation Challenge [View article]
    I have had considerable interactions with execs in the companies mentioned above over the last five-plus years, so I'm naturally more comfortable righting about them regarding innovation. I think Larry predicted this many years ago then became jaded. My last interaction with a senior ORCL exec was in running a cloud panel right after the exec (who spoke before us) denied the cloud was strategic to ORCL (fall/2010). Also, if I mention ORCL I would also need to mention IBM, BMC, CA, HP, Dell and others who I think have innovation opportunities. I was tempted to call out some colo-centric companies but decided to simply focus on the industry.

In short, today I have ambiguous sentiments when it comes to about a dozen companies, of which ORCL is included, and I don't see a compelling reason (yet) to call them out unless I'm focusing on sheer market share or the point when their hands are not being used as cushions.
    Dec 11 02:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Ascends Into The Hybrid Cloud [View article]
    The cloud race could indeed be influenced if not won by the team that addresses the inhibitors the fastest. Thanks Lee for the comment. G
    Nov 11 10:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Ascends Into The Hybrid Cloud [View article]
    The middle ground between the hardware and the software was what built Microsoft into what it is today: operating systems. The middle ground between the server and the cloud will bet strategic to at least a dozen companies, including Microsoft which could extend its OS success into becoming a leading cloud OS. See: http://bit.ly/1ah47wg
    Nov 10 12:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Ascends Into The Hybrid Cloud [View article]
    David: I think Azure is an extension of Microsoft's core expertise and leverages their position in servers and operating systems, unlike consumer devices and gaming platforms. The cloud should be a very different battle for Microsoft, akin to the PC OS battle.
    Nov 9 02:20 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment