Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 4 Reasons To Still Like SeaDrill After The Earnings Miss [View article]
    :-) I added even earlier around $35! And Ensco around $49 and Diamond Offshore around $46.
    Sep 11 06:53 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ensco: Some Perspective In Offshore Drilling Values [View article]
    Thanks for the article. Do we know who is building these new rigs for Ensco and others? Their order pipeline would start drying up pretty fast as well?
    Sep 11 06:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple's iPhone 6 Market Impacts [View article]
    As far as I understand, 64-bit doesn't really help HEVC (aka H.265) decoding or encoding. That is largely done in hardware (custom ASIC or IP blocks) and not in software as that is too much power and the function is well defined by the spec so there is no risk of implementing in hardware.

I am not speculating as I work in this field and implement both software and hardware decoders and encoders. The first implementation in a phone might be software but that's about it.

64-bit in a phone doesn't buy anything really. As far as I can tell. To me it is to unify their (Apple's) codebase and OS/app development. Now their desktop computing platforms and mobile platforms can share codebase as and if appropriate. Other than marketing and bragging rights.

Often times, 64-bit implementations run faster because they come with other micro-architecture improvements like more number of CPU registers that let the compiler take advantage and not bang on the cache etc. But those are orthogonal to the 32-bit/64-bit.

But then some of this natural progression. ARMv8 ISA is coming and 64-bit computing in mobile devices will become the new norm whether beneficial or not.
    Sep 10 06:30 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mednax: A Compelling Total Return Story [View article]
    Thanks for the article. I had never heard of this company and it sure looks interesting. I generally avoid stocks that don't pay out dividends unless they are young companies in growth phase but Mednax doesn't appear to be one. I would have most likely jumped on it right away if they had a 1-2% yield growing at 5+% every year.

Best regards,
    Sep 7 04:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The World's Largest Chemical Company Offers A Great Yield [View article]
    The exact withholding rate is 26.375%. I have been a BASF holder for last few years. I bought at $58 in Sep 2011 and sold at $115 in May. I bought it last month at $100. I too am not a trader but felt that it went up too quickly.

I wouldn't buy it at current level and would rather wait for $92-94. That gives you two years of dividend and a good downside protection.
    Sep 6 07:51 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Fastenal's Post-Earnings Drop Could Be A Buying Opportunity [View article]
    The competitor from Amazon supply is real. Fastenal prices are higher and shipping is more expensive as well. Amazon is definitely taking some business which would make Fastenal not grow or even lose some revenue. As such a TTM P/E of 15 would be a better entry point. Forward P/E of 12 or so. Otherwise it is too risky.
    Sep 3 07:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon: The Twitch Acquisition Is, For Now, Highly Irrelevant [View article]
    I am with you that Fire phone isn't a success and selling far less than anticipated. But I was wondering if it is still adding to the bottom line? R&D costs are sunk in, correct? So now, the revenue will be $200m annually? Maybe less and I would assume that each phone is sold at a profit of $100-200 even after taking into account the Prime membership rebate of $100. Doesn't that help add $30m approx to bottom line which is good for the stock?
    Aug 29 10:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead: Let's Make A Deal [View article]
    Thanks for the article. BTW how does one pronounce the name Gilead - G as in goat or as in George?

I know nothing about pharma companies other than Novartis, JNJ, Pfizer, Roche etc. Just keep hearing about Sovaldi and Gilead in the newspaper. BTW - for those new like me, HCV is Hepatitis C Virus.

So are there smaller companies that could be acquisition targets by others? Not necessarily Gilead? Is there anything that is a decent value today, say with an investment horizon of 2-5 years? Or is everything expensive given the market conditions.
    Aug 28 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If STAG Industrial Was A Car It Would Be A Mustang [View article]
    oops
    Aug 28 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Earnings Preview And Lookout Points [View article]
    Thanks for the earnings preview.

Aren't you concerned that the EPS doesn't cover the dividend especially when the company has such high load of debt on the books?
    Aug 26 02:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Broadcom Is A Good Bet Even At 52-Week Highs [View article]
    Actually, the P/E is hard to use for Broadcom because they have so many non-cash charges that it makes the EPS meaningless. They have this issue for last 10+ years now and the end is nowhere in sight. The winding down of cellular business will make them take various charges for quarters to come.

In the end, Broadcom will always remain a good bet, i.e., a stock with potential but never quite managing to deliver. It is a value trap, in my humble opinion. I would rather stick with Qualcomm, TI and perhaps Intel or Analog Devices.
    Aug 26 09:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GlaxoSmithKline: The Bad Isn't All That Bad [View article]
    Thanks for the article but I am a bit confused. Is the consumer healthcare business being spun off or not? It appears that Novartis and GSK are forming a new company. If so, then contribution of consumer healthcare to GSK can't be 24%?

For example, you said: "As well, the GlaxoSmithKline-Novartis consumer healthcare business will be the second largest consumer healthcare company in the world -- behind only Johnson & Johnson."

Will that be for the new company? Will that get listed independently? A bit lost.
    Aug 22 07:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons To Own National Presto Industries [View article]
    Well, I have been holding for last 3 years. Bought it when dividend was more than $8 per share and now it is $5. I expect it to further reduce to $4 this year due to poor results so far. Or it may drop even to $3.5.
    Aug 20 10:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons To Own National Presto Industries [View article]
    Are you worried that dividend has been coming down? 8.25 to 6 to 5.05. Also earnings declined by 50% so yes, the dividend might get cut again.

Also, they put dividend just once a year so hard to hold and then suddenly see the dividend being cut. They are not investor friendly at all.
    Aug 19 07:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Amazon Fire Phone Will Probably Do Even Worse Than Expected [View article]
    Actually, Amazon phone has no custom 3D parts that require it to order 7 million parts at TSMC. In any case, the number of chips depends on the area and technology. Alex Cho doesn't quite know about this semiconductor business.
    Aug 17 09:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment