Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Internal Compounding Generates Real Income: A Brief Case Study Featuring Roper Technologies [View article]
    Excellent article. Thanks Paul. I wish I could identify even one such company :-) I have money to invest now but can't seem to find a company that is growing decently but less than trailing P/E of 20. Maybe I do need to pay more.

On the other hand, it appears that market is ripe for a significant correction so can't force myself to buy anything at current all-time high.
    Jun 1, 2015. 09:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Avago-Broadcom: The Urge To Merge [View article]
    Samsung already has the GS6, correct? They are expected to launch the Note 5 in Fall. Intel is reportedly making the offer as we speak.

What happens to all the cash that Broadcom has right now?
    Jun 1, 2015. 07:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Avago Be A Rock In A Turbulent Semiconductor Sea? [View article]
    Thanks. I wonder what happens to Scott McGregor. Does anyone know if Henry Nicolas still holds stock? He and Samueli used to own 30% each in the early part of the century.

Also - do you think it makes sense to sell Broadcom at this price or wait for the cash and the Avago shares? I had a limit sell order that executed at $48 on Thursday but I still have a few shares left. Am tempted to sell all since I didn't see value at $48 :-)

Also, I wonder if most merger Broadcom Limited (the new name?) will sell out the STB division. If so, I would imagine that Arris and/or ST would be front runners?
    May 30, 2015. 12:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will Avago Be A Rock In A Turbulent Semiconductor Sea? [View article]
    Avago had annual revenue of $4b and Broadcom has $8b. Bit strange.
    May 30, 2015. 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lincoln Electric: Great Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    Great article. Thanks.

Any discussion about competitors and the impact of currency in the coming quarters? It seems that a lot of the revenue and profits come from outside the US?

Any some discussion about their products and continued competitiveness compared to other major players would really help. I see Colfax, Illinois Tool Works and a few others becoming strong as well. The move to automated welding should help LECO though. I would buy LECO if the stocks falls at least 15% from current price as it is tied to the economy and can get a bit cyclical so I wouldn't want to pay more than 15-17 trailing P/E and 13-14 forward P/E
    May 25, 2015. 08:13 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broadcom Is Healthy But Overvalued [View article]
    Broadcom will acquire a small company or be acquired by Intel or perhaps even Qualcomm.
    May 23, 2015. 09:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Eaton: Good Dividend Growth Investment [View article]
    For a US-based investor, does it matter if one invests via a tax-advantaged account like IRA or Roth IRA vs. regular taxable account since the "dividend" is really return of capital?

Any thoughts on capital gains and dividend taxation etc. I do understand that there is no withholding for a US investor. Thanks a lot!
    May 18, 2015. 08:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BHP Billiton: Increasingly Attractive For Dividend Investors After The Demerger [View article]
    Hi all,
    I am trying to find more information on South32 but unable to. Do they have a website? Google didn't find anything. What would be there ADS/ADR symbol? http://www.adr.com and adrbnymellon.com didn't find any.

Does anyone know when we might see the South32 shares in our brokerage account and when would the trading begin in the US? Thanks a lot!
    May 18, 2015. 06:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Challengers (And Near-Challengers): 25 Increases Expected By July 31 [View article]
    Thanks jrepasch. I will continue to hold NOV and will add more if it falls another 10% from current market price.
    May 17, 2015. 03:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks. I am waiting for NOV and see if they freeze or even cut the dividend given the weak fundamentals in the oil services business. It would be really surprising to see a dividend increase this time around.
    May 17, 2015. 09:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fake Bid For Rocket Fuel Is Just A Speed Bump On Its Way To Zero [View article]
    Perhaps Amazon?
    May 14, 2015. 12:48 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla's Amazing Powerwall Reservations [View article]
    I think this is a fair discussion - arguments from both side seem quite valid. I do feel that I had expected to see a current reservation number, i.e., what is my position in the queue, if you are willing to look at it that way.

I reserved a unit so give me some sort of number in the waiting list queue. I am assuming that not everyone gets one? Its not like a smartphone or LCD TV or a sedan which don't require reservation and can be bought by anyone. Reservation would mean that they will hold it for me and if I requested earlier then I have better chance than the guy who came after me.

Maybe they keep this record in their database but I would have liked them to tell me this. Right now the forms looks less like "Reservation" and more "Inquiry" form. The actual demand could be higher/lower than inquiries. There may be consumers like me who never go and ask for information/reserve. They wait for the product to be released and early adopters to post genuine reviews before deciding how useful it is.

I doubt I spend money on anything without reading 10-20 Amazon/newegg reviews (or Tripadvisor/Yelp if it is hotel/restaurant).
    May 11, 2015. 01:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm Still A Solid Dividend Growth Play Despite Declining Chip Sales [View article]
    Thanks for the article. It appears to me that if the company has to maintain a 15% dividend growth rate for next 2-3 years then the payout ratio will increase dramatically as the earnings will fall or be flat at best. This is a scary proposition at best.

The tech industry changes quickly and who knows what will be the trend in next 3 years? But it does appear that for the next 3 years Qualcomm will not be doing well but inching down slowly so how does this make it a solid dividend growth play? I am missing what is solid about the dividend growth?
    May 11, 2015. 10:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With Chowder [View article]
    Hi UP, many thanks. Looking at the list now.
    May 10, 2015. 09:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning From The Masters: Q&A Session With Chowder [View article]
    Thanks for the great interview and excellent comments stream. Does anybody have stocks that pass the "Chowder test" or are close? Would like to keep an eye out.. I don't see many in the current market.
    May 10, 2015. 05:41 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment