Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Super Mario Finally Comes To The Rescue [View article]
    I was actually saying the same - if the price of raw material comes down, then they are "forced" to reduce the price of the goods sold to come down by same percent amount and their margins don't improve. Their profits don't go up when the raw materials are cheaper.

There is way too much competition in the market and no pricing advantages typically. So lower raw material costs doesn't lead to higher profits.
    Jan 26, 2015. 12:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Super Mario Finally Comes To The Rescue [View article]
    Thanks.

DOW is largely commodity producer so doesn't have pricing power. If feedstock and crude prices come down then it needs to reduce the price of its products otherwise the customers look elsewhere.

BASF might be slightly better with a more diversified stream of revenue and similar metrics? Any eventual rise in euro-dollar ratio might help lift the price of ADR. Buy at $85 and sell at >$110.

Or LYB. Similar yield as DOW and a bit stronger financially.
    Jan 25, 2015. 07:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Thinking About Selling Realty Income, And Buying Chevron With The Proceeds [View article]
    I too sold half my O at $53. Holding cash for now.
    Jan 24, 2015. 01:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • National Retail Properties: A 4% Mid-Yield Alternative To Realty Income [View article]
    Thanks for the article. I hold only two REITs - NNN and O but have a limit sell order for both at about 2-3% more than Friday's closing price. If I am able to sell then I will most likely re-enter if and when they come down 20-25%.

I have held these for 5+ years now but feel that they are overpriced right now so want to take some profits.
    Jan 19, 2015. 08:37 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market At Its First Major Inflection Point Of 2015 - Part I [View article]
    Thanks for the article. Just one question. You wrote:

"The strong dollar and falling oil should be two big headwinds to earnings in this quarter and throughout 2015; it is hard to see earnings moving up more than 5% during the year."

I thought that falling oil was a tailwind for most companies as oil is related to costs in some way or the other and in a few cases directly impacts cost of raw material. How does falling oil reduce the earnings for anyone other than oil companies?
    Jan 19, 2015. 07:06 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GDF Suez Shares Should Get Re-Rated [View article]
    Isn't the yield closer to 6%? At least the trailing yield. I received almost $1.50 in 2014 after receiving $1.93 in 2013.
    Jan 17, 2015. 08:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Europe: A Filter For 17 Interesting Stocks [View article]
    Daniel - You wrote Enron instead of Ensco.
    Jan 16, 2015. 06:47 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GDF Suez Shares Should Get Re-Rated [View article]
    Thanks for the article. What is IPP and IPP model?
    Jan 15, 2015. 09:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chevron: The 4% Dividend Yield Is Firm [View article]
    Thanks for the article. It would appear that Statoil and Eni are good bets too. Any views? Good EV/EBITDA and Debt/EBITDA numbers and better yield too.
    Jan 14, 2015. 07:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The World's Best Dividend Stocks [View article]
    I am not very familiar with FastGraphs. I "assume" that is is most numbers based and not analysts view-based. Thus, it is looking only at past quarterly and annual numbers and drawing various graphs using historical numbers and coloring them using proprietary algorithms of predicted value.

It probably doesn't understand, e.g., $5 billion was paid out or that a business was sold. Not until that starts getting reflected in the quarterly number and not until the market starts assigning a different "historical P/E".

If you think the reorg is baked into the price then it is baked at the correct valuation, then the stock isn't undervalued, correct? Or you go and dig deeper into the company and find out if the reorg is baked properly (underbaked or overbaked).
    Jan 13, 2015. 07:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The World's Best Dividend Stocks [View article]
    GSK profile is a bit different than in the past. They did a major re-org that involved major amount of money exchanged with Novartis. That can throw tools like FastGraphs off a bit as they are based on historical earnings and don't account for such transactions.

GSK may still be undervalued but it may be worthwhile doing a due diligence before buying any more..
    Jan 12, 2015. 09:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Diamond Offshore Outperforming? [View article]
    Not really - the dividend has been very consistent at $3.50 per year.
    Jan 11, 2015. 08:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The World's Best Dividend Stocks [View article]
    wel9603 - I think the form is Form 1116. Also, I don't think you recover everything over $600. There is a limit based on how much you earn and the credit rolls over for next year. But then my problem is that next year, I again have unused foreign tax credit. And after some years (~10), the rolling of the earliest credits stops.

So, I do think that if you get paid more than $600 in withholding taxes on foreign dividends then you lose a significant part of that
    Jan 7, 2015. 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Debunking Misconceptions Around Netflix Heading Into 2015 [View article]
    I am one of the few who cancelled their Netflix membership as there wasn't much for me to watch. I was spending more time searching for something to watch rather than enjoying something.

I continue to have DirecTV and pay dearly for it - hating it obviously. But the kids like NickJr., Science, Discovery and Animal planet and the occasional Shark Tank on CNBC. Mythbusters, Wormhole, etc. are all programming that I can't get on any streaming service.

I do understand that I am not a representative sample. I pay $90 for DirecTV but refuse to pay $10 for Netflix.
    Jan 4, 2015. 07:24 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exciting Times At 9% Dividend NorthStar Realty Finance May Mean Exciting Growth [View article]
    I too bought NRF at less than $5 but I sold most of it at $15 before the split. I still have some NRF and NSAM and obviously regret selling a winner and holding onto losers... :-)
    Jan 2, 2015. 07:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment