Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My Dividend Growth Portfolio's 6th Birthday Report [View article]
    Thanks for the article and transparency. You have done very well. Congratulations.

I would like to hear if you feel that a similar goal is achievable starting today. The market is at all-time high and the current yields are low. For example, are there stocks that you feel are fairly valued today? I was recently looking to invest extra savings recently and only found oil drilling stocks to be depressed. Everything else appeared a bit too rich for my personal comfort level.

I am trying to figure out if I am being too conservative by holding cash and not slowing buying DGI stocks for the next 5-15 years.

Thanks again!
    Jun 1 08:15 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Intriguing Investment Ideas [View article]
    Are there stocks that you are buying these days? Which ones? Thanks!
    May 30 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broadcom: Mobile Is Slowing Intrinsic Value Convergence [View article]
    All the smart things and IoT can't get them enough revenue and profits as they need. These are noise compared to the mobile baseband signal. And that is missing. Broadcom story is not very attractive. They just aren't selling enough in 4G space - modems or app processors.
    May 25 11:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Throwing Babies Out With Bathwater [View article]
    So how do you identify the McDonalds and Disney of 1970s? Surely you are not suggesting that Pfizer and Bank of America are such companies, correct?

Which might be the companies worth holding for next 10-15-20 years? Anyone?
    May 22 09:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Rakuten: The Alibaba Of Japan [View article]
    Thanks for the idea. BTW - they bought the US shopping site Buy.com. I have bought a few deals off there and they seem to be OK. Not sure if they are like 1% of Amazon revenues in the US or more (or less?) though.
    May 20 02:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix: The Impact Of The Recent Price Rise [View article]
    I actually realized that there isn't much to watch on Netflix. I personally prefer to watch movies and Netflix seems to have fewer movies that I would like to watch. They have a lot of TV shows though. I now rent from Redbox 2-3 times a month and am happy paying $3-4 a month with their occasional coupons.

I understand thats just me. I also realize that $10 per month is trivial for a lot of US households. I am more interested in their obligations to acquire content and the effect of rising debt to handle these content acquisition costs.
    May 15 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Siemens: Long-Term Strategy Supports A Growing Dividend [View article]
    Why not buy GE that has a higher yield and potentially similar growth ahead? Also it is suitable for retirement accounts.
    May 14 10:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Opportunity Of European Dividend Growth Market Insight [View article]
    Take a look at some ideas from South Africa in my article:

I haven't ever looked at other countries.
    May 14 10:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Opportunity Of European Dividend Growth Market Insight [View article]
    Thanks stsimon. I am glad that you find my old article still useful.
    May 13 05:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A High Dividend Stock Yielding 8%+ That Just Quadrupled Its Dividend And Goes Ex-Dividend Soon [View article]
    I think there may be some complications if one files Form 1116 and can't take the $300/$600 reduction on Form 1040 directly. On Form 1116, the entire foreign tax paid is not reducible. There is an adjustment required especially when foreign dividends are qualified and charged at a lower rate.

I just finished filing my taxes and realized that I only got partial credit for the foreign taxes that I paid and some of it is "carried forward" for next year(s).
    May 13 05:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CEVA: An Update After Disappointing Q2 Guidance [View article]
    Thanks for the article. Do you see any potential of a buyer emerging? Like Synopsys perhaps? Tensilica was bought by Cadence and Synopsys bought ARC/Virage and Target. Any thoughts?
    May 10 11:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ACE Still The Place For Reasonable Insurance Returns [View article]
    I do read every single of them. You are the only author that I make sure I read everything. I really like and appreciate how you present the companies. Not just a lot of numbers and financials etc. but a commentary about their business and competitors and the landscape etc.

Thanks!
    May 8 06:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BorgWarner Among The Best-In-Class In Auto Parts [View article]
    Thanks for the article. What would you consider to be a good price to initiate a position in BWA?
    May 6 06:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Watsco Remains A Top Investment In A Volatile Market [View article]
    Why was the dividend slashed? Any ideas?

Also, any companies that are potentially at the place where Watsco was 25 years back? It appears that going forward the growth will be market-like.
    May 4 06:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Are Any High Quality Companies Decently Valued At The Moment? [View article]
    Actually, can't look at them as utility or telecom company - their is a certain stickiness to them and often they are regulated and that is what helps provide for a certain predictable dividend etc. Its harder for a new company to come and offer to supply electricity, water, sewage, phone and other services.

Cisco is mostly into commodity products like tools. The entry barrier is not high for a startup or other companies to come and take business away from Cisco which is bloated and offers little innovation. I find it a classic case of innovators dilemma or elephants can't dance.
    Apr 30 10:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment