Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The World's Best Dividend Stocks [View article]
    I am not very familiar with FastGraphs. I "assume" that is is most numbers based and not analysts view-based. Thus, it is looking only at past quarterly and annual numbers and drawing various graphs using historical numbers and coloring them using proprietary algorithms of predicted value.

It probably doesn't understand, e.g., $5 billion was paid out or that a business was sold. Not until that starts getting reflected in the quarterly number and not until the market starts assigning a different "historical P/E".

If you think the reorg is baked into the price then it is baked at the correct valuation, then the stock isn't undervalued, correct? Or you go and dig deeper into the company and find out if the reorg is baked properly (underbaked or overbaked).
    Jan 13, 2015. 07:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The World's Best Dividend Stocks [View article]
    GSK profile is a bit different than in the past. They did a major re-org that involved major amount of money exchanged with Novartis. That can throw tools like FastGraphs off a bit as they are based on historical earnings and don't account for such transactions.

GSK may still be undervalued but it may be worthwhile doing a due diligence before buying any more..
    Jan 12, 2015. 09:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Is Diamond Offshore Outperforming? [View article]
    Not really - the dividend has been very consistent at $3.50 per year.
    Jan 11, 2015. 08:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The World's Best Dividend Stocks [View article]
    wel9603 - I think the form is Form 1116. Also, I don't think you recover everything over $600. There is a limit based on how much you earn and the credit rolls over for next year. But then my problem is that next year, I again have unused foreign tax credit. And after some years (~10), the rolling of the earliest credits stops.

So, I do think that if you get paid more than $600 in withholding taxes on foreign dividends then you lose a significant part of that
    Jan 7, 2015. 01:53 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Debunking Misconceptions Around Netflix Heading Into 2015 [View article]
    I am one of the few who cancelled their Netflix membership as there wasn't much for me to watch. I was spending more time searching for something to watch rather than enjoying something.

I continue to have DirecTV and pay dearly for it - hating it obviously. But the kids like NickJr., Science, Discovery and Animal planet and the occasional Shark Tank on CNBC. Mythbusters, Wormhole, etc. are all programming that I can't get on any streaming service.

I do understand that I am not a representative sample. I pay $90 for DirecTV but refuse to pay $10 for Netflix.
    Jan 4, 2015. 07:24 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exciting Times At 9% Dividend NorthStar Realty Finance May Mean Exciting Growth [View article]
    I too bought NRF at less than $5 but I sold most of it at $15 before the split. I still have some NRF and NSAM and obviously regret selling a winner and holding onto losers... :-)
    Jan 2, 2015. 07:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Earned 17% Compound Annual Return For 6 Years [View article]
    Congratulations! You have done extremely well. Are there stocks that you would buy now? I have money to invest but the general market is at all-time high. I am hoping to find some undervalued gems, if any.

Best regards,
    Jan 1, 2015. 07:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • America's SUV Sales Boom Vs. Tesla's Negative Growth Rate [View article]
    Thanks for the article. You may want to add Mazda CX-5 as another SUV that is doing very well. It was launched in 2013 and has been popular lately.
    Dec 26, 2014. 09:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Better Priorities Leading To Better Outcomes For Broadcom [View article]
    Thanks much for the reply. I am surprised to hear about the per-STB tuner content shooting up. I thought that they were earning less per STB every year. High levels of integration are reducing the number of chips used. First they sold a separate tuner, a main SoC with MPEG-2 (BCM7038) and side-car chips for H.264 decoding (BCM7411). Dish/DirecTV used to have $35-50 per box in 2005-2007. Now, each chip is fully integrated and goes for less than $10.

I am personally a seller at this point (not a short seller, but someone taking profits). I may re-enter only after 2 more quarters where I see what they do after getting out of baseband. I just don't see where they can get the next 20% growth in revenue over next 3 years. And at current margins, they are already richly valued.
    Dec 20, 2014. 06:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Philips Looks To Long-Time Laggard Volcano To Perk Up Its Healthcare Biz [View article]
    Thanks for the article and welcome back. I missed your articles as I find them to be the best in quality, consistently.
    Dec 19, 2014. 07:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Better Priorities Leading To Better Outcomes For Broadcom [View article]
    Thanks for the article. A few comments/questions:

1. If you think their connectivity business is in danger of slow growth or market share loss to in-house products from Apple/Samsung and from Qualcomm, Intel etc. then why would they ever reach $50 when they are already richly valued?

2. Any views on their Netlogic acquisition from early 2012? How is that turning out?

3. Set-top business isn't growing much. There is secular shift away from cable and satellite boxes. Households aren't adding 2, 3, 4 boxes in their homes. They are watching content on multiple platforms that are often some CPU-based device like Tablet, smartphone, smart TV, laptop, desktop etc. There was a big boom of satellite receivers and then DVRs during 2005-2012 but I believe this is really slowing down now.

4. I didn't quite understand the reference to TI? TI is focusing on analog and mixed signal as well as their own foundry for custom process. Also, TI has a decent research wing while Broadcom doesn't quite. They prefer to execute on well know technologies/standards. TI likes to either innovate on semiconductor process and/or new areas like ADAS for example.

5. How do you value a company like Broadcom that has always produced non-GAAP results very different from GAAP results? Quarter after quarter there are tens of non-cash charges.
    Dec 19, 2014. 07:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Challengers: 24 Increases Expected By February 28 [View article]
    Thanks a lot for the heads up. I am watching Tessco and Schlumberger. Bought both of them recently.
    Dec 15, 2014. 10:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: How I Derive The Top 40 (Part 3) [View article]
    Mike - do you this for a fact? I thought (assumed?) that BHP dividend is fully franked and hence Australia doesn't withhold tax on it. But obviously I am not sure.
    Dec 13, 2014. 11:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: How I Derive The Top 40 (Part 3) [View article]
    I may be wrong but I think that dividend from BHP is also not taxed as the dividend is "fully-franked".
    Dec 13, 2014. 11:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • National Oilwell Varco: A Thorough Analysis [View article]
    Thanks for your prompt reply. There was a "Pro" article on DNOW a few weeks back. Not sure if you will have access to it or not. It seemed to suggest that there is significant medium to long-term potential.
    Dec 10, 2014. 12:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment