Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Qualcomm Under Attack From All Sides - I Am Avoiding The Stock [View article]
    I read a few other websites that suggest there is some confusion about who owns the patents and who gets paid for the royalties from the licensing authority for the patent pool:

Feb 1, 2015. 06:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm Under Attack From All Sides - I Am Avoiding The Stock [View article]
    Not as much. QCOM was the leader for CDMA. Not for LTE. LG, Samsung, Huawei and many more have a significant share of the patent pool for LTE.
    Jan 31, 2015. 08:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm Under Attack From All Sides - I Am Avoiding The Stock [View article]
    what are you talking about? Lenovo, ZTE, Huawei, LG and more do not make their own AP for smartphones.

Only Apple and Samsung make APs. Other AP manufacturers are Qualcomm, Intel, Mediatek and Nvidia. Broadcom and TI got out of this business for cellphones.
    Jan 31, 2015. 08:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Worries About Europe And Energy Seem To Weigh On Parker-Hannifin [View article]
    Thanks for the article. I am a shareholder but am concerned a bit that they are taking on more debt to fund share buyback. Things can change quickly in the market when debt could become a real burden.

That said, I would add to my position at around $100-105 and sell my current holdings above $130. I used to have 3M as well but sold it way too soon early 2014.
    Jan 31, 2015. 07:59 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm: Caught Between Apple, Samsung And A Hard Place [View article]
    I will echo and say that it is Samsung Galaxy S6 and not S5. The issue is real. Samsung Mobile will most likely use their S.LSI designed Exynos instead of Snapdragon. Qualcomm can lose more than 100 million of their AP which can lead to loss of $1b revenue from Samsung in a full year.

And if Apple starts designing their own modem chip then it is game over for Qualcomm who will continue to see competition from Intel and Nvidia as well. It was good of Broadcom and TI to let go off this brutal market (AP for mobile).
    Jan 29, 2015. 07:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nordea Bank: Bought 100 At $11.56 [View article]
    Thanks much.

Have you looked at TeliaSonera (TLSNY) or Handelsbanken (SVNLY) as well? Any thoughts.
    Jan 29, 2015. 07:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chipotle Shares Already Pricing In 5,000 Locations [View article]
    Agreed. Just that your article didn't consider these factors. International can contribute 20-25% in the next few years and then corporate catering could help as well.

Shophouse Kitchen (name?) is supposedly doing quite good and with the oil prices down their raw materials should all come down while no expects their menu prices to come down. Coupled with increased footfall as consumers are likely to shop and eat outside more.
    Jan 27, 2015. 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chipotle Shares Already Pricing In 5,000 Locations [View article]
    Thanks for the article. I think investors are assuming that growth will come from international locations and the addition of other restaurants (not mexican but asian).
    Jan 27, 2015. 07:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Super Mario Finally Comes To The Rescue [View article]
    I was actually saying the same - if the price of raw material comes down, then they are "forced" to reduce the price of the goods sold to come down by same percent amount and their margins don't improve. Their profits don't go up when the raw materials are cheaper.

There is way too much competition in the market and no pricing advantages typically. So lower raw material costs doesn't lead to higher profits.
    Jan 26, 2015. 12:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Super Mario Finally Comes To The Rescue [View article]
    Thanks.

DOW is largely commodity producer so doesn't have pricing power. If feedstock and crude prices come down then it needs to reduce the price of its products otherwise the customers look elsewhere.

BASF might be slightly better with a more diversified stream of revenue and similar metrics? Any eventual rise in euro-dollar ratio might help lift the price of ADR. Buy at $85 and sell at >$110.

Or LYB. Similar yield as DOW and a bit stronger financially.
    Jan 25, 2015. 07:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Thinking About Selling Realty Income, And Buying Chevron With The Proceeds [View article]
    I too sold half my O at $53. Holding cash for now.
    Jan 24, 2015. 01:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • National Retail Properties: A 4% Mid-Yield Alternative To Realty Income [View article]
    Thanks for the article. I hold only two REITs - NNN and O but have a limit sell order for both at about 2-3% more than Friday's closing price. If I am able to sell then I will most likely re-enter if and when they come down 20-25%.

I have held these for 5+ years now but feel that they are overpriced right now so want to take some profits.
    Jan 19, 2015. 08:37 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Market At Its First Major Inflection Point Of 2015 - Part I [View article]
    Thanks for the article. Just one question. You wrote:

"The strong dollar and falling oil should be two big headwinds to earnings in this quarter and throughout 2015; it is hard to see earnings moving up more than 5% during the year."

I thought that falling oil was a tailwind for most companies as oil is related to costs in some way or the other and in a few cases directly impacts cost of raw material. How does falling oil reduce the earnings for anyone other than oil companies?
    Jan 19, 2015. 07:06 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GDF Suez Shares Should Get Re-Rated [View article]
    Isn't the yield closer to 6%? At least the trailing yield. I received almost $1.50 in 2014 after receiving $1.93 in 2013.
    Jan 17, 2015. 08:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Europe: A Filter For 17 Interesting Stocks [View article]
    Daniel - You wrote Enron instead of Ensco.
    Jan 16, 2015. 06:47 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment