Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 3 Reasons I Prefer Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    Thanks David and others for a great article and discussion. I recently got some bonus and have money to invest. I am looking for dividend growth stocks that are at decent valuations and attractive yields.

Any suggestions for further investigation? Thanks again!
    Dec 6, 2014. 07:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Short Case For Strayer: Regulations Target Post-9/11 GI Bill Revenue [View article]
    Fair enough. I would personally not value the company at $25 like you do. I think it is headed closer to $90 as it is one of the strongest for-profit education stocks. It is recovering better than others and has been able to manage costs quite effectively.

I think things will become clearer in the next 2 months as we get close to the 2014 full-year results in February 2015.
    Dec 3, 2014. 10:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hmm. There is something wrong with your numbers. Strayer reported $3.12 EPS in first nine months. Are you thinking that it will report a loss of $2 in next quarter to get to an EPS of $1.35 for a P/E of 56?

I don't think so. I think that the company will be closer to $4 of EPS for 2014 and the P/E will be less than 20. And in the next year, the EPS will be even higher - perhaps approach $5.50 and the 2015 forward P/E is less than 14.

I see no basis in the article for the current valuation to be reported as 56x.
    Dec 3, 2014. 06:51 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • After Recent Price Drop, Fluor Looks Mighty Attractive [View article]
    Thanks for the article. Have you looked at AMEC Foster Wheeler as well?
    Dec 2, 2014. 07:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • North Atlantic Drilling: Fleet Analysis And Q3 Results [View article]
    TJ,

I am with you but do remember that companies go bankrupt also. And some of them just wither away. The share price never recovers. Shipping companies for example. Investors did buy these shares as they were coming down. Frontiline (FRO) comes to mind. The share price never quite recover.

I bought most of NADL at $10 before they listed on NYSE as NATDF at that point. I bought some more around $5 and again at $3.5. However, I plan to hold for now and not buy more. I do feel that both my SDRL and NADL will be dead. Most likely forever.... I think Fredriksen will move on to other companies.
    Dec 1, 2014. 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Turkish Stock Market: A Filter For Stocks In Turkey [View article]
    Hi Daniel,
    I can't figure out actually. A year ago, I liked Ford Otosan but not so much right now. I can't digest the growing Islamization of the Turkish society and the comments made by Recep Erdogan. I did buy some Ford (very few shares were bought out of my low limit order) a few months back but I am thinking of getting out now.
    Nov 29, 2014. 08:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Turkish Stock Market: A Filter For Stocks In Turkey [View article]
    Thanks for the article. Any views on Ford Otosan (FOVSY)?
    Nov 27, 2014. 11:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Turbocharge Dividend Growth [View article]
    Thanks for the article. Do you think there are stocks at good entry points right now?
    Nov 25, 2014. 08:02 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fluor: Industrial Construction Company Getting Rave Reviews [View article]
    Thanks for the article. I have been watching them for a few months now. I feel that over last 5 years, they have largely tracked S&P 500 and recently trailed quite a bit. Hopefully, future (3-5 years) will be better.

What do you think of AMEC Foster Wheeler now that they will have an ADR (AMFW)? Larger dividends and globally more diversified perhaps? Thanks for any views/comments.
    Nov 23, 2014. 08:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon Trades For 370 Years Of Earnings, Jack Ma Thinks It Might Not Be Here In 20 [View article]
    Hi Paulo,

Good to hear that you are recovering well and back to active status.

Earlier this summer there were two reasonable events in Fall - End of QE3 (free supply of money) and Alibaba IPO (moving money from various momentum stocks to BABA). Now that we have gone through these, what impact did you see?

I have been short Amazon for quite some time and was hoping a larger effect than what we got. The short-time fall that we did get was from Q3 earnings report and Q4 revenue guidance.

Do you have any views how and why the markets have held up so well after the end of QE3?
    Nov 23, 2014. 08:03 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Reasons To Like National Oilwell Varco Now [View article]
    Ernie - I feel the same way. That with these big diversified companies, there is some overlap of NOV with HAL, BHI and SLB but they are not really competitors. NOV competition is from equipment manufacturing companies in Asia and then there is Weatherford, Akastor as well.
    Nov 23, 2014. 07:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix May Be In For Some More Pain Shortly [View article]
    Mathari,
    I thought that Netflix does not own the original programming like House of Cards, Orange is the New Black etc. They have exclusive rights to stream it and they paid to get the series made but I thought that I read somewhere that Netflix doesn't own the shows.
    Nov 23, 2014. 07:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Solving The Mystery Of 10 By 10 - How Does A Dividend Growth Investor Get From Point A To Point B? [View article]
    Thanks for the valuable discussion. Do you know what a closed form formula (expression) will be for future value.

Typical compound:
    FV = PV * (1 + r)^n
    where n is number of years and yearly compounding.

With increasing rate "r" that increases by "d" (for dividend growth rate):
    FV = PV * (1+r) * (1 + r*(1+d) ) * (1 + r*(1+d)^2) * ... *(1+r*(1+d)^(n-1))

Can this expression be reduced to a closed form for easy computation in Excel spreadsheets? Basically, I want to see that if a stock gives me a yield of x% today and I expect it to have DGR of y% then after n years how much money will I have assuming no share-price growth.
    Oct 21, 2014. 10:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Allianz Trades At Low Multiples And Offers A Forward Yield Of 5% [View article]
    You are still thinking like an American investor. Most foreign companies don't have a concept of quarterly dividends. They do business and tally their accounts at the end of the year and declare a dividend from earned profits.

Quarterly dividends from a Germany company isn't going to happen anytime soon.
    Oct 21, 2014. 08:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Challengers (And Near-Challengers): 57 Increases Expected By New Year's Day [View article]
    Got it. Thanks for your detailed reply. This is helpful.

I was hoping that one could simply put a formula in the Excel spreadsheet to pull information from some websites directly.
    Oct 19, 2014. 03:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment