Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    It should be identical but then sometimes the financial website don't get their EPS exactly correct and sometimes there is enough of difference in exchange rates. BHP is the ADR for the Australian shares and BBL for the British. The company definitely has a very complex holding structure. I tried to understand it better but gave up after sometime.
    Jan 21 02:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    I agree with all your comments about UL and GSK. I held UL for a long time but sold my holding as they went up. I hope to re-enter if the price comes down to $35 though it may never reach there.
    Jan 21 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Esoteric Path,

I have another article with another 6 stocks from UK that I have submitted for publication and am working on finish one more article with 7-8 stocks. Those will cover these stocks and more. Stay tuned!
    Jan 21 02:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Stokesy,

I don't the rules of withholding taxation for you as you are based in the UK. For those in the US, it is quite straightforward. You can claim credit if invested in regular account but lose the withheld taxes if the stocks are held in a retirement account. I had written an article about this more than a year back. Don't know how taxes work in the UK.
    Jan 20 10:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi 6228371.

I already hold SAN. I first bought the company at $17.50 in July 2008 thinking that I got a great deal :-) I then bought it a few more times as it went down all the way down to $5.65 in March 2009. Then again at $7 in Nov 2011 and at $5.5 in July 2012. I haven't done anything in 18 months now other than enjoying the dividends.

However, in this series of articles, I am looking at stocks from United Kingdom only. What other stocks do you like and why?
    Jan 20 08:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    I am with you, Stokesy. The matters get complicated if you want to consider potential for total returns and not just dividend growth potential. Some US stocks definitely have potential to grow dividends at 10-15% over the next decade perhaps. However, I do feel that very few companies can keep growing dividends at rates more than 17-18% for more than 10 years (there are only very few exceptions as Robert Allen Schwartz would point out). So I feel that I want to create a portfolio with some high growth potential like LECO, PH, SNHY, NOV and some with decent current yield + reasonable growth potential like 5-6%.

I think there is no magic formula and there are a few good stocks from US, UK and other countries like Sweden, Germany and even Switzerland. My next two articles will cover all the four stocks that you have listed and a few more.

I am also looking at Barclays and HSBC even though I typically don't look at financial stocks as they are far too complex to understand for my simple brain.
    Jan 20 05:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi WBos,

Do you have anything in UK besides Admiral? I am hoping to start a position in Admiral at a lower price if I can get it.
    Jan 20 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hello Debutant,
    Thanks for sharing. My next articles briefly discuss VOD, ESV and RDS.
    I am not familiar with GENL. Is that Genel Energy?
    Jan 20 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Excalibur,

Thanks for your comment. I am glad that you like my articles. Congratulations on your NVO investment. I wish I had a home run like that. The difficulty is finding a similar investment for future.

What other foreign investments do you have and what others are you monitoring these days? Best regards,
    Jan 20 03:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    Good point. ETF and Closed-end funds can really be good investment vehicles. I personally enjoy reading about companies and creating a diversified portfolio myself. I have looked at a few mining companies lately and realized that they are a bit too complicated for me to understand.

I was lucky to invest in BBL during late 2008, early 2009 so I plan to stay invested for now but yes there are other picks that may give better total returns like RIO, maybe even VALE or Kumba Iron Ore.
    Jan 20 03:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Giorgiolb,

Take a look at my reply below. I don't think AZN has cut dividend. It depends on how you treat dividends - paid in a calendar year or paid as per company's financial year.
    Jan 20 03:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    Thanks Rincon. I agree, there is some confusion here. What is the dividend for a year? Actual payments in the calendar year or the payments for the company's financial year?

For example, in 2013 there were two payments in March and September. The September payment is really the first interim payment for the financial year. I consider the payments in pence as follows:

XX + 59.2
    120.5 + 58.1
    123.6 + 51.9
    116.7 + 44.9
    105.4 + 36.0
    104.8 + 27.8
    67.7 + 25.3

The XX amount will be determined next month on Feb 6 as per the company website: http://bit.ly/OUgJgs

But yes, it is tricky and can be interpreted either way. Bottomline - the dividend growth has stalled and the payments in a calendar may even be reduced. The company has stiff patent cliff so beware of any future dividend growth. I may switch to GSK at some point.
    Jan 20 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    I think we all will agree that BP is risky right now. It is hard to estimate the full implication of future liabilities. Having said that, I do think that a patient investor will not regret holding for the long term.

But are there "better" investments out there for me? Yes (Since better is largely dependent on the individual investor).
    Jan 20 12:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    Thanks for your comment. Just curious - did your son work for other defense contractors or major hardware/software companies? I understand these are different beasts.
    Jan 20 12:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ensco: A Juicy Dividend With Future Growth [View article]
    Diamond pays an annual dividend of $3.5. At least, it has paid so without any growth or cut over the last few years now. At current price of $55, the yield is 6.4%.
    Jan 14 07:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment