Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • More Great Dividend Stocks From Great Britain [View article]
    Good point, pipbel. Forward yield is higher than the trailing yield for ESV. It is substantially higher because of their 50% increase. Most companies the difference is minimal as the growth is 5-10% only.
    Jan 23 01:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Great Dividend Stocks From Great Britain [View article]
    Thanks Joe. Are you invested in the UK or Europe? What are you investing in these days?
    Jan 23 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Great Dividend Stocks From Great Britain [View article]
    Thanks RoOnTheRun. What other European stocks interest you? You must be enjoying your ESV dividends. Happy Investing!!
    Jan 23 06:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SA just published part 2 of the article with six more British stocks:
    Jan 23 06:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    I hear what you are saying and feel that this isn't the end. We may see even a bigger cut in 2014. It may be another 2 years before we see some growth back at AZN.
    Jan 22 04:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    I am with you, Rincon. I think there are enough signs of caution when it comes to big pharma and AZN is really facing steep patent cliff right now.

Having said that, in my personal books, AZN has not got dividend yet. I don't want to use the calendar year for foreign stocks. David Fish chooses to do that to keep things uniform and straightforward but he is largely focused on American stocks where company pay regular dividends and most pay quarterly.

Foreign companies often pay one single dividend and those are relatively easy to handle. However, there are quite a few foreign companies that pay an interim dividend and then a final dividend based on actual profits. I want to use these two numbers and not limit to a calendar year. As an example, the dividends I will consider for AZN are as follows. But either way, your point remains valid about need for caution.

2013: XX + 59.2
    2012: 120.5 + 58.1
    2011: 123.6 + 51.9
    2010: 116.7 + 44.9
    2009: 105.4 + 36.0
    2008: 104.8 + 27.8
    2007: 67.7 + 25.3
    Jan 22 04:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    Right Vern :-) I don't look at the typical emerging market stocks like China, Russia, India, Brazil, Indonesia, Kenya, Nigeria etc. Even South Korea doesn't appear trustworthy or confidence inspiring to me. Some of the chaebols there aren't transparent about their financial reporting and accounting.

But UK, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Switzerland are attractive for me.
    Jan 22 10:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    We don't know. Obviously, there was a huge potential for total returns after the drop 3 years back. Some people took the risk and bought and they were adequately rewarded. I was too risk averse. The same may be true now as well. Various public and government cases against BP keep getting discussed and it is not certain that BP wouldn't have to make substantial payments to settle these.
    Jan 22 06:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    That's a fair point, Dividend Investor. We don't know the future so I want to diversify. I don't want to risk my future with the success of economic policies of the US. Current easy money policies (QE) could help US retain its lead over the rest of the world or could lead to troubled times ahead.

I also don't want to have home country bias. I feel that there are definitely great dividend stocks outside the US and I want to invest in them and not rule them out just because they are not American.
    Jan 22 06:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    Oh no. I didn't think it was criticism at all. Sorry, if my reply sounded like that. Absolutely not. I appreciate the discussion and pointer towards IHG. I did try to read your article but am not a paying member so couldn't benefit.

Separately - I started following you yesterday after taking a quick peek at two other articles. I do plan to read others as and when time permits.
    Jan 21 08:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi DAG1996,

I don't plan to leave out IHG. I do have it in my spreadsheet with a good history of dividend growth. I plan to include it in my next article on more dividend stocks from UK. Perhaps this coming weekend. I have about 16-17 stocks from UK that I follow closely based on their dividend history.
    Jan 21 02:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    It should be identical but then sometimes the financial website don't get their EPS exactly correct and sometimes there is enough of difference in exchange rates. BHP is the ADR for the Australian shares and BBL for the British. The company definitely has a very complex holding structure. I tried to understand it better but gave up after sometime.
    Jan 21 02:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Great Dividend Growth Stocks From United Kingdom [View article]
    I agree with all your comments about UL and GSK. I held UL for a long time but sold my holding as they went up. I hope to re-enter if the price comes down to $35 though it may never reach there.
    Jan 21 02:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Esoteric Path,

I have another article with another 6 stocks from UK that I have submitted for publication and am working on finish one more article with 7-8 stocks. Those will cover these stocks and more. Stay tuned!
    Jan 21 02:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Hi Stokesy,

I don't the rules of withholding taxation for you as you are based in the UK. For those in the US, it is quite straightforward. You can claim credit if invested in regular account but lose the withheld taxes if the stocks are held in a retirement account. I had written an article about this more than a year back. Don't know how taxes work in the UK.
    Jan 20 10:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment