Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Ensco: A Juicy Dividend With Future Growth [View article]
    Seadrill also does not withhold taxes on dividend. They are registered in Bermuda
    Jan 14 07:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mining For Dividend Growth Stocks In South Africa [View article]
    I got dividend info for Shoprite from their annual reports. I do plan to look at Foschini group shortly. Thanks for your comment.
    Jan 9 10:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mining For Dividend Growth Stocks In South Africa [View article]
    Thanks montrachet. I appreciate your comments. It seems that South Africa is full of large size companies and the stock market is quite active with a lot of British companies trading there as secondary listings.

I too am not fully convinced but did find Shoprite, Sasol and MTN Group worthy of further investigation. Note that these three are not dependent on China like a lot of the natural resources company from the country.
    Jan 7 10:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks From Turkey [View article]
    Thanks for the insight. I would count this as a fair statement. I have also heard of reports that Erdogan is increasingly leaning towards radical measures. It may be worthwhile to at least wait till elections due soon and see what comes out of them. They also happen to be dangerously close to Syria and other political unrest in the area.
    Jan 5 08:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks From Turkey [View article]
    I agree that S&P ratings are good to look at but I don't really care for them a lot. They usually don't offer any new insight. When things are good for something, the rating is high anyways - they never seem to go against the prevailing knowledge and expose any problems, e.g., say with CDO or the banks with sub-prime exposure etc. All that comes after the fact.

But I do agree that Turkey investments come at a significant risk - not everyone is averse to risk though. Some individual stocks may offer less or more risk that the country itself so due diligence is required by the investor..
    Jan 3 07:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks From Turkey [View article]
    Thanks Gary. I agree 100% that a larger basket of stocks makes more sense when going to a market like Turkey that represents significant risks. There may be other solid stocks in Turkey that either don't trade here in the US or don't pay dividends and I left them out of consideration but would most likely be in an ETF like (TUR).

All the best!
    Jan 3 07:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks From Turkey [View article]
    Hi Peter,

I would definitely like to hear more about your opinion. Why avoid all including Ford Otomotiv? Any insight would help form a constructive discussion.
    Jan 2 09:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Rumors, Rumors [View article]
    What is note open in Apple? What is closed? It all depends on how you want to look at it. Their programming API is open and anyone can write apps for their devices and operating system. To them that is being open. I am not sure what makes Apple a closed system compared to say Android.

Why would an ordinary person like me want to get access to Android source code?
    Dec 30 07:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broadcom: Intrinsic Value $40 Per Share, 37% Upside Potential [View article]
    Thanks for the article. I actually consider the peer group to be Qualcomm, Texas Instruments, Marvell, Nvidia.

Also, there are so many no-cash charges that Broadcom has taken in last decade that it is hard to use P/E at all. Almost every quarter they have some acquisition related or stock related write-offs that keep the GAAP earnings low.
    Dec 30 07:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5.2% Yield, Many Dividend Hikes: Got A Match? [View article]
    Thanks for the article. How does one plot the dividend growth percent (dividend change) in ycharts?
    Dec 29 08:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CPFL Energia S.A. - A Solid BRIC Electric Utility With A 7.8% Yield [View article]
    Thanks Richard for the response. much appreciated.
    Dec 29 08:18 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broadcom: Why I'm Remaining Long [View article]
    Broadcom is facing far too much competition in the mobile space. It is more than Qualcomm. There is Spreadtrum, Mediatek, Nvidia and of course, Intel. The company did a major round of layoffs to control R&D costs. There is little growth in their Broadband division - set-top boxes, cable and DSL modems.

Netlogic acquisition didn't play our as well either. Look at this way. Plot their share price against TXN, INTC, QCOM and other similar large semiconductor stocks for last 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 5 years and see for yourself if they ever created long-term wealth for their shareholders at all.
    Dec 28 08:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Richard. Any other stocks from Brazil or neighboring countries that have been paying out rising dividends? Thanks for your pointers.
    Dec 28 07:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • S├╝edzucker: A Cheap Food Giant With A High Yield [View article]
    Thanks okta. I do understand the double tax avoidance treaty but was wondering about the forms etc. that a broker might or might not send if I buy a foreign stock. I hold quite a few ADR (the ones with symbol ending in a Y) and those work out just fine with no headaches. I wasn't sure what happens when one buys a stock with a "F" in the end because they are the original foreign stock bought on the native stock exchange via a US-based broker.
    Dec 26 10:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Iridium Communications Offers Excellent Value For Long-Term Growth Story [View article]
    How about a stock like Inmarsat? They are British and have a better track record. Any views on them? They pay a good dividend as well.
    Dec 25 06:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment