Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Update: Tallying Up Model S Sales Up To August And Its Implications [View article]
    @Raster - no, that wouldn't be stagnation obviously but if you assume similar rate then September would be 2500 and total for quarter will be 5500 though current estimates are closer to 7800. So that is where the shortfall is. Of course, September may see a huge jump or Q4 may see a drastic jump and make up for the first quarters. Tesla may still deliver 35,000 for all of the year. One never knows... But I hope you see where Paulo is going.

@Paulo,

The assembly line was shut down for ~2 weeks to prepare for future models and upgrade. Would that explain lower numbers for these months? Could your estimates in shadowed cells be off quite a bit? Were cars on the boat and suddenly be delivered in volumes in September to UK, China etc.?
    Sep 16, 2014. 11:24 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Should You Double Down Now And Go All In Close To Seadrill's 52-Week Low? [View article]
    I am typically a contrarian investor but feel that there is something to be said about getting out when things are bad. e.g., financial stocks in 2008-09 period including banks, REITs, m-REITs, BDC etc. I didn't and bought more as they were all coming down thinking that I will collect dividends etc. We all know how that played out :-( A lot of the stocks never recovered and of courses dividends vanished.

Then similar story with shipping and tanker stocks. And now I am repeating the same mistake - buying Seadrill, Ensco, Diamond Offshore and NADL for the last few weeks. But no more from today. Will stay invested but not throw good money after bad.
    Sep 16, 2014. 06:48 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hunting For The U.K.'s Best Returns [View article]
    Hello Nick,
    I am an occasional writer at best. I have been busy at work but did try to write a couple of articles on Sweden but they got rejected by SA saying that I didn't offer much insight into the future and only collected past performance etc. I gave up trying to fix the article and incorporate their feedback. Just too lazy... :-)

SSE - dividend growth history and highest yield right now. Others are closer to 4% while SSE is more. I forget but I thought that SSE had a low EPS number due to some reason and that forward P/E was more reasonable. I could be wrong. NGG is great - gives UK+US exposure. I am not familiar with the two UK utilities at all. Their volume on US stock broker/OTC is minimal.
    Sep 15, 2014. 10:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hunting For The U.K.'s Best Returns [View article]
    Thanks Nick. Appreciate the perspective and discussion. I am looking at a few UK stocks and my interest in AMEC brought me to your articles (including the sweet sixteen one).

The two closest to my buy price are SSE and Admiral. Then AMEC and BHP and finally Easyjet. Your article introduced me to Stagecoach also that I will take a look at. Maybe Smith and Nephew as well..
    Sep 15, 2014. 10:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft to acquire Mojang for $2.5B [View news story]
    Well, they acquired Skype for $7B+, if I remember correctly. Not sure how is that doing and if it is bringing any revenue and profits right now?

What I don't understand is how will it be break-even in 2015 on a GAAP-basis? Does anyone understand that? They are paying $2.5B. Will that cost be amortized over a decade and the unit needs to bring in only a few hundred million dollars to be break even? How does this work?
    Sep 15, 2014. 10:34 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Quick Picks: Foreign Stocks [View article]
    Hello Veritas,

How have you been? Anything new and exciting lately? Other than Canadian Oil Sands?

I have been busy at work but did try to submit a few articles to SA that got rejected. I was quite surprised as in my humble opinion, my articles had more information and discussion than some of the ones that I read on SA (especially the ones on momentum stocks). I tried to edit and re-submit as per SA guidelines but again got rejected. After a few attempts, I gave up - I obviously was making some mistake.

I continue to monitor many foreign stocks. Still hold - Siemens, Enlay, Vodafone, Telefonica, Orange, BASF, Atlas Copco, ABB, AstraZeneca, BHP, Canon, CPFL, Carrefour, E.On, Ford Otosan, GDF Suez, K+S, NADL, SDRL, Shoprite, TGS Nopec, Total SA, Yara, Admiral and potentially a couple more :-)

I am happy receiving dividends once a year. I have limit buy orders for 10+ foreign stocks right now!!
    Sep 13, 2014. 05:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Spin-Off NOW, Inc: Market Leadership, Experienced Management, And Pristine Balance Sheet Point To Compounding Value [View article]
    Got it. Thanks for your reply.
    Sep 13, 2014. 07:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Quick Picks: Foreign Stocks [View article]
    The entire amount of withholding taxes cannot be recovered. If it is less than $300 for individuals and $600 for couples then it can be recovered via Form 1040. For amounts larger, one needs to file Form 1116 and it makes the tax credit quite complicated. One doesn't get to claim the entire amount.

I have learnt the hard way... I have almost half of my holdings in foreign stocks and recently exceeded $600 in foreign taxes paid on dividends.
    Sep 12, 2014. 09:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Quick Picks: Foreign Stocks [View article]
    PPP is purchasing power parity. Basically you can't just use the US Dollar to foreign currency conversion rate. You have to look at a basket of goods to determine the true currency conversion rate.
    Sep 12, 2014. 08:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for a great article.

But isn't the P/E already too high? Like 30 for 2014 assuming an EPS of $1.20 for the current year.
    Sep 12, 2014. 08:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • If You Like Chicago Bridge & Iron, You May Want To Own Oil Infrastructure Construction Firm AMEC [View article]
    Thanks. Actually, quite a few stocks ending in "Y" are unsponsored. The ones with "F" are being bought/sold directly on the foreign exchange via a broker in the US. This part I understand as I have about half of my holdings in foreign stocks (either Level 1 ADR or symbols with Y in the end).

Since a "F" stock is being directly on the foreign exchange, I was concerned if there are some extra tax implications in the originating country. It appears that there is none.
    Sep 12, 2014. 10:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Not quite. UK does not withhold taxes on dividends paid.
    Sep 12, 2014. 10:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the article. What are there any implications of buying AMCBF symbol? That is not an ADR and not sponsored by a bank here in the US, correct? Tax implication and/or anything on dividends?
    Sep 12, 2014. 06:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hunting For The U.K.'s Best Returns [View article]
    Thanks for the article. Berkeley Group looks very interesting indeed. Great yield and past growth. Any more thoughts on the stock?
    Sep 11, 2014. 10:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Reasons To Still Like SeaDrill After The Earnings Miss [View article]
    :-) I added even earlier around $35! And Ensco around $49 and Diamond Offshore around $46.
    Sep 11, 2014. 06:53 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment