Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Netflix Tests Price Increases Again [View article]
    As a consumer/viewer, I personally don't find anything worth watching on Netflix. I do understand that it may just be me because there are 49 million households who have the subscription.

As an investor, my biggest concern is the cost of content - how do they pay for licensing content and creating new shows.
    Apr 24 01:23 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • More Pain To Come For LinkedIn [View article]
    Sandman - in simpler language, suppose the P/E for LinkedIn is 20 when they have an EPS of $7.25. The price would be $145. But that would 15 years from now when the EPS is 7.25. Not today.

You next now to need to figure out for yourself that if a stock may be worth $145 (based on the EPS and PE multiple) in 15 years then what would it be worth to you today because you will invest today and hold for 15 years. That is the discounting of future value to current prices.

I personally feel that David Trainer is quite spot on except that I feel that LinkedIn is still the best bet for employers and candidates alike. Just that the valuation is out of whack. However, the free float is small and investors see them using LinkedIn all the time and see the growth in revenue and jump in for fear of being left out.

Not sure what trigger will bring the stock back to sane levels.
    Apr 24 01:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Broadcom Is Heading To $35 [View article]
    They should exit mobile but Scott McGregor is too proud to do that. His entire strategy for company revolves around mobile business. And who would they sell that business to?
    Apr 21 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Broadcom Is Heading To $35 [View article]
    Those are for the cheaper WiFi and BT chips were the ASP is small. Most of the R&D investments that Broadcom has made in last 6 years is in baseband connectivity and they have no Tier 1 customer there.

For years Broadcom focused on Nokia and Blackberry but unfortunately for them, the market pulled the carpet under their feet. Now what?
    Apr 21 02:09 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Broadcom Is Heading To $35 [View article]
    Broadcom just doesn't get it. I do hold shares but plan to get out if they climb over $33. I have been a shareholder since 2007 now but find them a value trap. They are unable to get any major design wins and unable to grow their profits.

The pressure is not from Qualcomm as much as from Intel, Mediatek, Spreadtum (now acquired).
    Apr 21 12:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Should Pfizer Attempt To Acquire AstraZeneca? [View article]
    Thanks for the article. I hold AZN - have been a shareholder for last 5 years. I am trying to figure out if I exit on the jump or wait to see if the price will go up even higher.
    Apr 21 11:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chipotle Mexican Grill Is A Great Company, But The Price Is Just Too High [View article]
    Thanks for the article. How about impact of international expansion and diversification into other cuisine/brands?
    Apr 21 10:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Broadcom May Have A Profitable Return [View article]
    I feel the same way as Nettligent. Broadcom is facing serious trouble. The stock stays between $25 and $35. Maybe an occasional $1-2 more or less. It has been a great buy for the last 5 years. This is what I consider a value trap.
    Apr 21 07:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon.com Is Doing Its Very Best To Increase Earnings [View article]
    I was addressing revenue and not profits. The Amazon phone will definitely add to revenue. The hardware is substantially different with 6 cameras and 3D capabilities etc. Suppose they sell 2 million of these at $500 each. That is a $1 billion right there in revenue.
    Apr 17 08:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon.com Is Doing Its Very Best To Increase Earnings [View article]
    Thanks for the discussion. It is likely that revenue will again climb from Q3 if and when the smartphone is launched. Also the Q2 revenue may benefit just a little bit from the sale of the STB - say $40-80 million in sales for Q2 which is probably noise for their quarterly revenue numbers.

I do know that I will cancel my Prime membership when it expires in September. I wonder what would be the impact on the numbers due to fewer options being exercise if the stock price remains depressed.
    Apr 17 05:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Stocks From Turkey [View article]
    Lee - what are you buying? I bought FOVSY around $48. I had another buy order at $41 but it never reached there. Bounced back from $43 to above $50. Anything else in Turkey or elsewhere, for that matter.

Best regards,
    Apr 14 09:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Reinvestment Revisited: The Coca-Cola Millionaires [View article]
    Thanks for the article. It is difficult not to discuss whether Coca-Cola is a good investment even now or how to find the next KO. I know that you don't intend to address these two but I find it hard not to go there :-)

And there I find that KO lacks - I personally think that sugary drinks aren't going to grow as well even though there is a pent up demand in emerging markets. I fear that dividend growth rates will be just a bit over the inflation rate so doesn't interest me.

How do I find the next KO? I haven't been to find many. I am looking for companies with market cap of $2b to $20b that have the potential to grow dividends at ~10-15% for next decade and then perhaps slower rate after that.
    Apr 13 08:02 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Silence On Gigafactory Partnerships Suggest Tesla Might Be A Near-Term Short [View article]
    I am with you 99% on your comments. I just feel that ICE will co-exist with hybrids and EV for the 5-8 years. Beyond that is harder to speculate. Further, new power plants are unlikely to be clean anyways - with an abundant natural gas supply, it isn't going to nuclear, hydro, wind or solar. Mostly like gas or coal-based.
    Apr 10 05:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am with you - Bailout. But just a thought: electricity in the grid is far cleaner than burning gasoline in car/truck. The coal/natural gas power plants are more efficient than an internal combustion engine for similar power output. Because they are generating more energy and are static and can take care of emissions in a better manner.

As a rough example - we have home generators for generating 5000W or similar power. These are much less efficient than the power generators feeding the grid.

Having said that - I totally agree on the other costs like that of the batteries and so forth. I am on the fence w.r.t. the ICE vs. EV debate. It doesn't bother me much.

What I do want to understand is - why is Tesla supposed to be earth shattering? Why should I be impressed by the company or the car?
    Apr 10 01:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    WCHicks99 - what do you and your EE friends see in Tesla/Elon? What is the innovation? I am asking as an engineer. I see nothing. All I see is a new business model and no legacy. Other than the business model, I don't find an engineering marvel or innovation.

I am not talking about the stock price and what happens to Tesla as a company. I am saying this because as an engineer I simply don't see what does Tesla bring to the table? Do you?
    Apr 10 10:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment