Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Life Cycle of the Dividend Investor [View article]
    Thanks for the article. I have been trying to find mid-cap dividend growth stocks even if their current yield is low. Looking to stay invested for 5-20 years. My investing style allows me to buy tens of stocks and monitor them every few months so I don't really feel the pinch if one or two stocks completely bomb. If some stock goes up way high due to operational performance or acquisition etc then I end up selling it. Otherwise hold as a long-term investment.

I am looking to buy JNJ, LECO, PH, SNHY, SCL, NC, NPK, EONGY, TEF, VOD, STM, STD, QCOM, RAVN, KDN, BMS, SXT, BRC and a few more if the prices come down by 5-20%.
    Jun 9, 2011. 06:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 8 Dividend Stocks Yielding Over 3%, With Tiny Payout Ratios [View article]
    Thanks for the list. I particularly like Verizon even though their FiOS offering did not quite get them the returned that everyone had hoped. I believe eventually, the demand for bandwidth will revive an interest in FIOS. They may benefit if and when Vodafone makes Verizon Wireless pay dividends to Verizon and to themselves (VOD).
    Jun 9, 2011. 06:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 8 Dividend Monsters With Consistent Dividend Growth [View article]
    I am curious why you use "," (comma) as the decimal point for the second and third columns while you use "." (dot) as the decimal for the first column.

HCSG seems to have a very high payout ratio. Not sure if they can sustain that. Seems that they payout everything they earn and do not retain any earnings? Not sure - I spent 30 sec on yahoo finance.

WSO is surely interesting but they have huge payout ratio of close to 80%. Also, it is relatively old company - 60+ years and yet their revenues are less than $2 billion. Suggests that they haven't seen much revenue growth in the last decade etc. Which would suggest that they cannot keep growing their bottomline and hence may not be able to grow their dividends? Speculating here and looking for comments/feedback.
    Jun 8, 2011. 10:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • REITs Quietly Racking Up Gains, With Dividends to Boot [View article]
    Do you have thoughts about commercial triple net leases like NNN and O? How about NRF?

Will these REITs (the ones that you listed) be affected adversely and immediately if and when the rates were to start increasing?

Thanks!
    Jun 8, 2011. 05:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Diversified Dividend Picks for the Next 5 Years [View article]
    Interestingly, rates haven't gone up but CIM (associated with NLY) has been going down over the last few weeks now.
    Jun 8, 2011. 05:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Cash Rich Stocks Near 52 Week Lows [View article]
    I thought that Freescale had a lot of debt (in addition to the cash per share). Doesn't the debt change the equation of true stock value?
    Jun 5, 2011. 08:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Kennametal: A High Quality Growth Stock for Your Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks for the article. I am wondering why you think it is a high quality growth stock when for the last 5 years, revenue, cash-flow and profits have not grown? The net margin is also less than 3%. I wouldn't call this a high quality growth company. Solid industrial manufacturing company perhaps.
    Jun 3, 2011. 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Debating Dividends: What Would You Want Your Company to Do With Its Excess Cash? [View article]
    Thanks for a great article. I am a newbie and articles such as these go a long way in helping me become a better investor. Thanks.

For me - I am not in any particular camp. I like a lot of dividend growth stocks and I like pure growth or pure value stocks as well. For me, I want to see top-line and bottom-line growth. Without revenue growth, I don't think that most companies can grow profits - there is only so much cost cutting and optimizations possible. Then I also don't want to see a company giving dividends (or increasing them), or doing a buyback and then borrowing money at the same time unless they are almost debt free. I don't want a company to be borrowing money to pay me dividends. I would rather pay down the debt (this is how I was raised - do not borrow, not even for a home mortgage).

In general, I like to see dividends because it tells me that the cash flow is real, there is less of account fudging. Similarly, if the corporate tax is increasing then it is a good sign (in most cases). It means that the company did actually earn more profits and are not manipulating books.

If a company is growing at 10-20% rate every year and doesn't want to pay dividends, then it is perfectly fine for me. I would rather buy such a company over a company that yields 3% and increases dividends by 5-10% every year. The problem is finding former companies. Finding latter is relatively easier - there is David Fish's CCC lists and other resources since history is a good indication of future for such D-G stocks. But the 20% revenue growth small-cap and mid-cap stocks can hardly be identified using typical financial number crunching and metrics. One needs to estimate the business potential and make a judgement call. Guess what the customers might want and what the company can provide and sell. This is what makes investing so interesting to me.
    Jun 2, 2011. 12:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Reason Why Netflix Took Off on Wednesday [View article]
    Agreed. Google is giving away Android for free so that they can eventually sell more advertising using the search button on phones, tablets etc. Location-based advertising might become a huge business for Google due to the GPS chips in these handheld devices. Same goes with their other products like Gmail, Picasa, Maps etc.
    Jun 2, 2011. 11:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Top Performing U.S. Dividend Champions [View article]
    Thanks Jeffrey. I will look at the current and past holdings of RMT - this is a great starting point indeed. Appreciated.
    Jun 2, 2011. 11:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Reason Why Netflix Took Off on Wednesday [View article]
    richardya - I hear you. The second (or third) stock that I was thinking of shorting was BKS. I just didn't the limit order price that I wanted. I always place Good Till Cancelled Limit orders when buying but can't do so for short. My other planned short is Acme Packet (APKT).
    Jun 2, 2011. 09:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing in Global Hydropower Stocks [View article]
    Thanks RobberBaron. POR appears like a good company except for the increasing levels of debt. They have been borrowing quite a bit over the last few years and the interest coverage is not very reassuring.
    Jun 2, 2011. 09:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Investing in Global Hydropower Stocks [View article]
    I love CPFL and hold it for the last 2 years. Great dividend yield and decent price increase as well. I am thinking of adding Cemig as well. Do you have thoughts about that? I prefer to buy ADRs rather than on foreign exchanges. Keeps it simpler and easier for a novice investor like me.
    Jun 2, 2011. 05:55 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Top Performing U.S. Dividend Champions [View article]
    I don't care for high yield - it could be as low as 0.5%. I am looking for small-cap (perhaps even micro-cap stocks). This will not be my primary holding but something to go along with the dividend stocks. Even if I get 6-7% annualized that would be fabulous. I need to figure out how to try and identify potential candidates. e.g., what could I have done to find a stock like Raven or VF Corp or Flower Foods or Darden Restaurants 5 years ago.
    Jun 2, 2011. 05:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Investing in a Low Interest Rate Environment [View article]
    Would you rather go short if everything looks so negative? Why hold cash? Why not buy some puts or short stocks using margin?
    Jun 1, 2011. 08:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment