Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 8 American Mid-Cap Consumer Goods Companies That Currently Yield Over 3% [View article]
    Great list of dividend paying companies. I also prefer small-cap and mid-cap companies as opposed to large-cap or mega-cap. Ideally, I try to find companies that have grown dividend (along with revenue and earnings) over the last 4-6 years and have a market cap between $300 million to $5 billion.

I particularly like SON and LEG from the list above. Not too excited about PBI - the business seems to be declining.
    Apr 21 09:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Want to Seek 'Significant' Alpha? Look Beyond Dividend Stocks [View article]
    Learnt something new today - T&A. Only knew technical analysis but extremebanker's comment made me google the abbreviation :-)
    Apr 19 05:47 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Alcoa: Sell Off Presents a Buying Opportunity [View article]
    I feel the same - and so I may not buy AA in the near future (or ever again).
    Apr 19 05:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nestle: Global Blue Chip That Continues to Share the Wealth With Shareholders [View article]
    I am disciplined but then the problem is that I keep sitting on cash and not re-entering :-) My transaction costs are very limited. $7 per trade and I sell/buy around $1500 worth in one go so not too bad. When this strategy works, I can typically make more than the dividend yield. I don't lose anything other than the opportunity cost of sitting on cash instead of staying invested in equities.

Thanks for your comment.
    Apr 19 10:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Alcoa: Sell Off Presents a Buying Opportunity [View article]
    AA is a typical cyclical stock, almost a value trap. Doesn't pay good dividend either. I wouldn't buy it above $13. I bought it at $10 in 2009 and sold at $15.50 and will re-enter if and when it is below $12.50
    Apr 19 09:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Raytheon: Lowest-Risk, Lowest-Cost Defense Stock Buy [View article]
    RTN is a great company and a great stock. I do feel that US spends way too much on defense and that any austerity measures by the government will affect defense contractors like RTN, LMT, GD, NOC etc.

However, the reality, in my humble opinion, is that any budget cut may only slow the growth in revenue and bottom line so much. The world isn't going to become any more peaceful and weapon free than it has been in the last decade.

I bought LMT couple of months back and have a buy order for RTN at $46.
    Apr 19 09:49 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Good point - there may be no better companies to invest in right now. The times are troubled (political unrest in Mid-East, earthquake/tsunami in Japan, QE2 and lingering mortgage issues in the US) but the US market is pretty high (in my humble opinion).

So one strategy might be to sell and wait for a 10-20% fall and then re-enter. Keep the sales proceed in cash till then and buy as many stocks as the sales proceed allow. This may allow one to increase the number of shares. Of course, like other strategies, there is significant risk - what if the price continues to rise and there is no chance to re-enter in the stock? I then typically search for other companies.

As an example, I recently sold my positions in great companies that I bought in 2009 and 2010 - VFC, GPC, DD, AA, MMM, UN, FWLT, SLB, GE, BRKR, NOV. Now, I have limit orders for all of them - ranging from 10 to 25% lower than my sell price. I do pay capital gains taxes but all long-term so I don't really mind it. If I do re-enter then my cost basis has increased as well for future so no huge deal.

Simple thoughts from a junior beginner investor!
    Apr 19 09:43 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Restaurants That Take Dividends Seriously [View article]
    Great point, chowder. I am 37, married and have 2 kids in school. I am somewhere in the middle - I do buy stocks with the long-term goals in mind, but sometimes do wait and watch to try and save the $2-10 on a stock.

I do this because I have a lot of time. I place a limit order and sort of forget about it. Whenever the market has a low day (natural calamity, political crisis, world events or anything like that), the limit order gets executed. Is it worth it? Probably not in the long term of 10-20 years. But I figure that it doesn't hurt me much either. Right now I have 10-11 limit buy orders. 1-2 orders may execute any day. Sometimes it takes weeks. It gives me the personal satisfaction of "getting a bargain" though I do realize that from an investing standpoint, the gain may be trivial.
    Apr 19 09:34 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 15 Dividend Stocks With a 15% Yield in 15 Years [View article]
    This probably is the single best table of any kind that I have seen. Excellent work. Thanks a lot, Robert. Really appreciate the thought and effort behind it.

I created a bookmark and would surely refer to this page multiple times over.
    Apr 18 07:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Electric Power: Solid Utility Offering Both Growth and Income [View article]
    I am new to the utility sector but looking at the table above it appears that PPL may be a better buy? Similar yield but lower P/E and higher dividend growth rates?
    Thoughts?
    Apr 18 09:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson: Why This Healthcare Giant Is Still a Buy [View article]
    Has anyone looked at BAX closely? They seem to be trading at a discount also. Seems like a solid play on medical equipment business that may not have deal with the patent issues some of the big pharma are facing.
    Apr 18 09:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    pstive - thanks for your posts. And welcome to Seeking Alpha. I am sure you have and can add even more value.

I felt the same way about Nestle - that they are great but a bit overpriced right now. If they were to come down in price by about 15% with the business fundamentals the same, then it would be a good buy indeed.

Are there any other companies that you have looked at in depth and have some opinions about? Preferably those that can be bought/sold on US exchanges?

Regards and thanks in advance!
    Apr 18 09:34 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I don't participate in DRIP and even if I wanted to, my investment in each company is typically between $1000 to $2500. So quarterly dividends anyway aren't large enough to buy a single share (given that a lot of companies with stable growing dividends are priced $40 and more). Unlike true DRIP, my online discount stock broker only buys whole shares and not fractional shares.

As a result, I don't quite care about a single annual dividend. If I did DRIP then I might have preferred the annual dividend given that I would have less transactions to keep track of.
    Apr 17 06:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The 5-Year Rule in Dividend Growth Investing [View article]
    I personally do not like MCHP. I am more into companies with faster dividend growth rate and lower payout. Companies like QCOM, TXN and BRCM. National Semi was acquired by Texas Instruments so TXN should do very well in the low-end chips as well as Analog domain.
    Apr 16 01:15 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Nestle owns some of the biggest "water" brands in the US - Pure Life, Poland Spring, Perrier. They have Dreyers and Haagen-Daaz ice cream as well. Nestle is also a great way to enter emerging markets since they are leaders there.

I have been waiting to enter at closer to $50. Have had a limit order for close to 6 months now. I doubt I will be able to get it that low again.
    Apr 16 12:57 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment