Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Abbott Laboratories: Dividend Stock Analysis [View article]
    By the times things get decided, the stock may have slowly moved up and there may be little chance left to enter. The downside is limited from here given how strong the company is. I do think that even upside is limited - another 15-20% this year. It can do another 5-8% maybe. So I would rather buy now and try to get 10% returns. This is what I target anyways.
    Feb 11 09:38 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portrait of a Beautiful Dividend Growth Stock [View article]
    :-)

VFC isn't chic clothes though. They make Wrangler and Lee jeans - worn more by men? They make North Face - extremely popular with men and women alike. And then Jansport and Eastpak. Nautica is more of mens fashion than womens. In my humble opinion.
    Mar 24 04:32 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nestle: Global Blue Chip That Continues to Share the Wealth With Shareholders [View article]
    Nestle owns some of the biggest "water" brands in the US - Pure Life, Poland Spring, Perrier. They have Dreyers and Haagen-Daaz ice cream as well. Nestle is also a great way to enter emerging markets since they are leaders there.

I have been waiting to enter at closer to $50. Have had a limit order for close to 6 months now. I doubt I will be able to get it that low again.
    Apr 16 12:57 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LinkedIn Will Grind Lower In The Coming 9 Months [View article]
    I don't understand the comment that the average user is white male who earns >$150K. I have a feeling that you didn't understand the QuantCast graphics. The graphics say that 34% of LinkedIn users earn between $50-100K. Only 15% of their users earn more than $150K. So no, the average user doesn't earn more than 150K.

Also, you missed the fact that LinkedIn doesn't get a large portion of the profits from website users. They do a lot of hiring work for corporations and that is where the big money is. Don't overemphasize the users and page views of the website. I agree that the stock price is overvalued but I also feel that there is a place for LinkedIn in the corporate world and there is no alternative.

People need to network and LinkedIn provides a good mechanism for employers and employees to come together. Is there any other option for this?
    Mar 30 08:37 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Abbott: Still A Dividend Growth Stalwart? [View article]
    One issue with the new pharma company will be that Humira will contribute around 75% of profits in 2012 according to analyst estimates. That to me in unacceptable and I will not hold stock in a company that depends so much on a single product. As a result I sold my ABT holding and moved on to Novartis and JNJ.
    Oct 26 06:18 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Undervalued Blue Chips With Above-Average and Growing Yield [View article]
    UL is from England and UN from Netherlands. England does not have tax withholding whereas Netherlands does. So If you buy UN then you do buy in Euro but you pay taxes that you can claim only if you held the stock in a taxable account (not in an account like IRA, 401k etc.). With UL there is no tax deducted at source.

Unilever is a great company. I consider P&G, Nestle and Unilever to be the three best consumer companies in the world with unparalleled global reach and the only $50+ billion companies that have great growth opportunities given their exposure to the developing economies.
    Jul 8 10:22 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Stocks That Could Double in 2011 [View article]
    But ACPW has been losing money for the last few years. Even on an operational basis. No growth in sales either.
    Dec 31 12:38 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Has Truly Come A Long Way [View article]
    I am with Chris WL. How many gates does it take to produce a 32-bit CPU - a RISC and a CISC? I have designed multiple SoC and we added various processors. We could get a 250 Mhz 32-bit RISC (ARM or ARC) at about 25K to 30K gates. We simply can't get there with a CISC architecture. What CISC buys isn't required today for embedded applications running OS like Linux and the applications that run on top of it.

The technology process is an orthogonal question. Intel is trying to bridge the gap by benefiting from their process but it still doesn't address the basic CISC ISA limitations. You can only correct so much using the best process technology.
    Nov 4 08:09 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting Seadrill's Dividend Sustainability [View article]
    Thanks for the article.

Unfortunately, the company seems to be doing too many complex financial transactions for my comfort level. I am getting an uneasy feeling and plan to sell my holdings in the coming weeks.
    Dec 13 05:28 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Morphed Into A Dividend Zealot [View article]
    Thanks Rhianni. I agree that we need to find out what we can truly stomach and what gives us a good night sleep. I don't ever want to think stocks, e.g., on a vacation, or during a meeting at work or be in a bad mod with my kids when the market goes down 400 points.
    Jan 27 04:44 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Constructing the Core of Your Dividend Growth Portfolio [View article]
    I would also love to see an article from Owyhee - I am sure you have lots more to talk about. Once you start writing things will come to you, I feel confident. A lot of beginners like me would benefit tremendously. It doesn't have to be a formal article - it could perhaps be an Instablog?
    Jul 30 11:57 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Periodic Table of Dividend Contenders (10-24 Year Streaks) [View article]
    I generally like mid-cap dividend paying growth stocks. This list has a few ideas and I will explore them more. Thanks a lot.

BTW - thanks for NVS. It is the biggest holding in my portfolio. I am now starting to sell with limit orders placed at $63 and $66.
    Jul 23 07:11 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Dover Corp. a Cyclical, Growth or Dividend Growth Stock? [View article]
    Dover is one of my favorite companies!! I love the growth and the sector and diversification. Thanks for the fine article. It is a core holding of my portfolio.
    Jul 22 08:54 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Undervalued Blue Chips With Above-Average and Growing Yield [View article]
    Absolutely - NVS is my single largest holding today. They have a decent pipeline that should fill the void left by patents expiring soon on their blockbuster drugs like Gleevec and Diovan. They also have a huge generics business that very few big pharma has. Teva is big on generics but I don't know if ABT, JNJ, PFE, MRK, AZN, LLY have such big generics business.

Novartis also has a decent nutrition and over-the-counter business and have been growing their vaccines and diagnostics business unit. At the same time they completed their Alcon eye care acquisition from Nestle. They probably overpaid (in my humble opinion) but it appears that eventually it may not matter that much.

Swiss franc is very stable and NVS does increase dividends every year (though slowly). Though right now, I am not adding to my holding right now.
    Jul 8 01:15 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Corporation: Dividend Stock Analysis [View article]
    Different industries but I prefer TSM over INTC. Gives me exposure to foreign stocks as well and TSMC gains with the growth in consumer electronics - Intel may not. Digital TV, Blu-ray, Set-top boxes, Smart phones, Tablets WiFi, Bluetooth, Routers, Modems, Automotive, etc.etc. are all made at the TSMC Foundries. Intel is largely processor company and does not stand to gain that much from this explosion in embedded devices.
    May 4 06:52 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment