Guraaf

View Guraaf's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Abbott Laboratories: Dividend Stock Analysis [View article]
    By the times things get decided, the stock may have slowly moved up and there may be little chance left to enter. The downside is limited from here given how strong the company is. I do think that even upside is limited - another 15-20% this year. It can do another 5-8% maybe. So I would rather buy now and try to get 10% returns. This is what I target anyways.
    Feb 11, 2011. 09:38 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cramer's Lightning Round - I Am Horrified By Eaton (9/19/14) [View article]
    There must be some confusion about Eaton:

Eaton (NYSE:ETN): "I'm horrified. This is a charitable trust holding. This has been a big disappointment. The stock goes down every day and doesn't have a dividend to support it."

No - Eaton has had a good dividend policy and close to 3% yield.
    Sep 21, 2014. 08:30 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Portrait of a Beautiful Dividend Growth Stock [View article]
    :-)

VFC isn't chic clothes though. They make Wrangler and Lee jeans - worn more by men? They make North Face - extremely popular with men and women alike. And then Jansport and Eastpak. Nautica is more of mens fashion than womens. In my humble opinion.
    Mar 24, 2011. 04:32 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nestle: Global Blue Chip That Continues to Share the Wealth With Shareholders [View article]
    Nestle owns some of the biggest "water" brands in the US - Pure Life, Poland Spring, Perrier. They have Dreyers and Haagen-Daaz ice cream as well. Nestle is also a great way to enter emerging markets since they are leaders there.

I have been waiting to enter at closer to $50. Have had a limit order for close to 6 months now. I doubt I will be able to get it that low again.
    Apr 16, 2011. 12:57 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Tesla: 7 Down Days And Counting [View article]
    How did this qualify as an article?
    Dec 8, 2014. 09:03 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Should You Double Down Now And Go All In Close To Seadrill's 52-Week Low? [View article]
    I am typically a contrarian investor but feel that there is something to be said about getting out when things are bad. e.g., financial stocks in 2008-09 period including banks, REITs, m-REITs, BDC etc. I didn't and bought more as they were all coming down thinking that I will collect dividends etc. We all know how that played out :-( A lot of the stocks never recovered and of courses dividends vanished.

Then similar story with shipping and tanker stocks. And now I am repeating the same mistake - buying Seadrill, Ensco, Diamond Offshore and NADL for the last few weeks. But no more from today. Will stay invested but not throw good money after bad.
    Sep 16, 2014. 06:48 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • LinkedIn Will Grind Lower In The Coming 9 Months [View article]
    I don't understand the comment that the average user is white male who earns >$150K. I have a feeling that you didn't understand the QuantCast graphics. The graphics say that 34% of LinkedIn users earn between $50-100K. Only 15% of their users earn more than $150K. So no, the average user doesn't earn more than 150K.

Also, you missed the fact that LinkedIn doesn't get a large portion of the profits from website users. They do a lot of hiring work for corporations and that is where the big money is. Don't overemphasize the users and page views of the website. I agree that the stock price is overvalued but I also feel that there is a place for LinkedIn in the corporate world and there is no alternative.

People need to network and LinkedIn provides a good mechanism for employers and employees to come together. Is there any other option for this?
    Mar 30, 2014. 08:37 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Abbott: Still A Dividend Growth Stalwart? [View article]
    One issue with the new pharma company will be that Humira will contribute around 75% of profits in 2012 according to analyst estimates. That to me in unacceptable and I will not hold stock in a company that depends so much on a single product. As a result I sold my ABT holding and moved on to Novartis and JNJ.
    Oct 26, 2011. 06:18 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Undervalued Blue Chips With Above-Average and Growing Yield [View article]
    UL is from England and UN from Netherlands. England does not have tax withholding whereas Netherlands does. So If you buy UN then you do buy in Euro but you pay taxes that you can claim only if you held the stock in a taxable account (not in an account like IRA, 401k etc.). With UL there is no tax deducted at source.

Unilever is a great company. I consider P&G, Nestle and Unilever to be the three best consumer companies in the world with unparalleled global reach and the only $50+ billion companies that have great growth opportunities given their exposure to the developing economies.
    Jul 8, 2011. 10:22 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 Stocks That Could Double in 2011 [View article]
    But ACPW has been losing money for the last few years. Even on an operational basis. No growth in sales either.
    Dec 31, 2010. 12:38 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Short Case For Strayer: Regulations Target Post-9/11 GI Bill Revenue [View article]
    Hmm. There is something wrong with your numbers. Strayer reported $3.12 EPS in first nine months. Are you thinking that it will report a loss of $2 in next quarter to get to an EPS of $1.35 for a P/E of 56?

I don't think so. I think that the company will be closer to $4 of EPS for 2014 and the P/E will be less than 20. And in the next year, the EPS will be even higher - perhaps approach $5.50 and the 2015 forward P/E is less than 14.

I see no basis in the article for the current valuation to be reported as 56x.
    Dec 3, 2014. 06:51 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Dividend Growth Portfolio's 6th Birthday Report [View article]
    Thanks for the article and transparency. You have done very well. Congratulations.

I would like to hear if you feel that a similar goal is achievable starting today. The market is at all-time high and the current yields are low. For example, are there stocks that you feel are fairly valued today? I was recently looking to invest extra savings recently and only found oil drilling stocks to be depressed. Everything else appeared a bit too rich for my personal comfort level.

I am trying to figure out if I am being too conservative by holding cash and not slowing buying DGI stocks for the next 5-15 years.

Thanks again!
    Jun 1, 2014. 08:15 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Has Truly Come A Long Way [View article]
    I am with Chris WL. How many gates does it take to produce a 32-bit CPU - a RISC and a CISC? I have designed multiple SoC and we added various processors. We could get a 250 Mhz 32-bit RISC (ARM or ARC) at about 25K to 30K gates. We simply can't get there with a CISC architecture. What CISC buys isn't required today for embedded applications running OS like Linux and the applications that run on top of it.

The technology process is an orthogonal question. Intel is trying to bridge the gap by benefiting from their process but it still doesn't address the basic CISC ISA limitations. You can only correct so much using the best process technology.
    Nov 4, 2013. 08:09 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting Seadrill's Dividend Sustainability [View article]
    Thanks for the article.

Unfortunately, the company seems to be doing too many complex financial transactions for my comfort level. I am getting an uneasy feeling and plan to sell my holdings in the coming weeks.
    Dec 13, 2012. 05:28 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How I Morphed Into A Dividend Zealot [View article]
    Thanks Rhianni. I agree that we need to find out what we can truly stomach and what gives us a good night sleep. I don't ever want to think stocks, e.g., on a vacation, or during a meeting at work or be in a bad mod with my kids when the market goes down 400 points.
    Jan 27, 2012. 04:44 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment