H. T. Love

View H. T. Love's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Rethinking how Seeking Alpha calculates Top Commenters [View instapost]
    "This pyramid would make things fairly simple, yet give some progressivity to give new participants a sense of the work yielding some acknowledgement."

Long ago and far away ...

I had suggested a scheme with a similar objective. My feeling was that newcomers, especially those with no trading or investing background, might be intimidated and reluctant to author or comment.

My thought was that more heavily weighting the efforts of newcomers to beneficially participate would encourage them and produce a net gain, long-term, to the quality of SA participation.

And that should produce bottom-line results over time.

The overweighting would reduce over time or over quantity or some combination.

Anyway, I wanted to mention that your suggestion is both altruistic and "self enlightened" IMO and deserves great consideration.

Disclosure: I may be subject to confirmation bias. ;-))

Sep 25, 2011. 07:55 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • REE/Strategic Minerals Concentrator, September 21, 2011 [View instapost]
    That's a great find as it directly attacks the economic straw man that had been raised saying the Malaysia would economically benefit very little with the LAMP.

Follow-on industries locating there will not get the same tax breaks and likely will employ many more workers as well. The velocity of money from that will add jobs and revenues to every entity as the supporting infra-structure (private and public) expands to accommodate the new businesses and capital flows.

MHO,
    Sep 25, 2011. 07:15 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Stability of the European Union (5)? (September 25, 2011 to October 25, 2011) [View instapost]
    "Who woulda thunk" the EZ "crises" would drag on so long? If a "crises" continues long enough, we get inured against it and then it'll blind-side us as we stop paying attention to it. "What Greece again? Now Italy and Spain? Who next, Luxembourg? So what's new? Excuse me but I've got some other fish to fry here!".

Then WHAP! It smacks us upside the head.

Sep 25, 2011. 07:07 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 12: Beginning Sept. 22, 2011 [View instapost]
    You make me look lazy! ;-))

At least that's truthful!

Sep 25, 2011. 07:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 12: Beginning Sept. 22, 2011 [View instapost]
    Most charging is done via automatic charging stations I believe. Little or no staff required. At end of shift, a plug is inserted into the lift and the charging station senses it, BMS controls it from that point forward, including rate and cut off when full charge is reached.

Staff would be needed only where insufficient stations are available and they want to rotate fully-charged units out of the way and put in ones needing charging.

But that's really not the most cost-effective thing since, if space is available, it's cheaper over the long haul to dispense with the staff and just have more charging stations.

That could be affected by cash-flow considerations though, especially in a small(er) business where the up-front cost is more than the business can bear. Shouldn't be too many of those, I would guess, since there are many ways to extend the period over which the cash flows out, at reasonable cost.

MHO,
    Sep 25, 2011. 06:57 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 12: Beginning Sept. 22, 2011 [View instapost]
    Thanks SHB!

I had failed to consider how the DOD would offset the difference in absolute energy storage issue.

The weight issues are somewhat important as the forklift capacity is often determined using the center of gravity of the maximum lift capability vs. the same for the base of the vehicle to prevent tipping.

But adding additional weight is dirt cheap (and some lifts come with "hangers" to add weight already) compared to expanding the volume of the battery bay. And with the DOD giving the equivalent run-times, even ignoring fast re-charge and/or any regeneration, the best business solution would be to just add weight to maintain the rating of the lift while extolling the virtues of the new PbC, BMS and TCO virtues for the business.

As new lift models are introduced, that would be the time to accommodate the design to the PbC, regen, ... with the new weight ratings and new calculated COGs for the load and base.

Sep 25, 2011. 06:50 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • REE/Strategic Minerals Concentrator, September 21, 2011 [View instapost]
    "Sometimes, it seems, stocks are treated as intangible entities, separated from fundamentals...and people just like them for whatever reason...IAALF seems like one of those".

One word on "people just like them": fickle.

If a stock, regardless of fundamentals, seems to behave in that fashion, IMO it behooves you to have some protection. Since no options are available, try to find another vehicle or strategy that does the same job.

MHO,
    Sep 25, 2011. 05:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • REE/Strategic Minerals Concentrator, September 21, 2011 [View instapost]
    (GWMGF): *if* that's true - with speculation it's *always* suspect - the implications are absolutely *huge*.

But there's a problem with it *if* the timing is off, in terms of GWM's cash issues and/or the state of the credit markets and the IPO market at the time.

Get it right and a *lot* of problems get solved. Get it wrong and it adds substantially to the headwinds.

There's some potential strategic and tactical issues that need to be considered before one can begin to even consider such a rumor as "really possible". These will determine the value of the new company and, through that, the possible benefit to GWM.

If the value is there, warrants to existing GWM shareholders along with a public offering would be an excellent vehicle to put all the parties on solid footing.

It's a fun speculation, regardless.

I choose to expect the cautious course - it's a rumor only and nothing changes until we see it in "black and white".

MHO,
    Sep 25, 2011. 05:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #203, September 22, 2011 [View instapost]
    I'm still active but building cash to deploy in ultra long & short ETFs as opportunities arise, short-term, and traditional investments long-term when the big correction *finally* comes. Eventually the market will reflect what's really happening in the economic environment. Time-frame indeterminate ATM, IMO.

Will keep almost all (TAMO), (AXPW) and (CPST) and trade around those positions as I expect catalysts will offer near-term gain possibilities I don't want to miss. Keeping (NVAX) for income from options and catalyst expected in October, RSV trial results, and will decide on that one then.

I can change my mind as conditions change.

Will be trading (GWMGF)/(LYSCF) for the very near-term. Conversion to investment at some time in the future.

A lot of my current plans hinge on the US$ temporarily strengthening and the waiting to see if it weakens or not. If it does revert to form, weakening, I'll probably take short-term profits on TAMO, GWMGF and LYSCF as opportunities arise.

I want to migrate towards greater dry powder as we move towards next year.

The pain of missed opportunity is much less severe than the suffered big downside for me.

Sep 25, 2011. 01:25 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • QuickChat #203, September 22, 2011 [View instapost]
    The latest suggestion from David is that a "quality" metric, similar to that used by Google Analytics, will be used regardless of article or blog.

I think this is in an attempt to assign value to comments on blogs and articles in a consistent manner that is based on the "quality" of the person making ... the thumbs up or the comment? I don't know which.

I wish him luck because the issue has been "around the horn" a couple times before, and for *me*, is tiresome. But I have no "skin in the game" because as long as their hypocrisy in application of standards remains I will not publish.

I don't think they'll miss me much with all the professional authors participating so I don't anticipate any change in the hypocrisy.

MHO,
    hardToLove
    Sep 25, 2011. 01:10 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • REE/Strategic Minerals Concentrator, September 21, 2011 [View instapost]
    Great links Mercy! Thank you.

In the original article there were also some very good comments. It almost sounds as if rational discussion may be rising to the surface.

But there are still points that will be argued as one commenter says the concentrate is converted to paste and double bagged so there's no possibility of inhalation or release into the atmosphere.

Later on another comment quotes from documents that contradicts.

Until such discrepancies are resolved, I think the conflict will continue, albeit at a much "higher" level of discourse than seen sometimes in the past.

Both very good links, thanks again!

Sep 25, 2011. 01:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 12: Beginning Sept. 22, 2011 [View instapost]
    >MDS: Welcome!

First, concern with the sellers is only a part of an attempt to gauge good entry points. Most here are long-term and might trade some blocks around the core, as I do, to avoid the feeling, however fleeting it may be, of "dead money" while we wait.

As to the other concentrators, click on the avatar of any of the posters in the comments and look at their instablog and/or article list. AFAIK all here are respected for what they post and share.

Maya is one, Focal-Point Analytics, QuickChat, TripleBlack, John Petersen are ones I know have instablogs. You can also elect to follow any you visit so even if they don't have an instablog, you can be notified vie "My Feed" when they comment.

Sep 24, 2011. 08:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • REE/Strategic Minerals Concentrator, September 21, 2011 [View instapost]
    Rain,

I'm still waiting based on both what Chi mentioned *and* (predominately) TA as I didn't want to start a trade where I had to wait too long. I've been reading warnings about credit contraction rearing its ugly head for a while so that even w/o Chi's depth of understanding, I had concerns floating around in the back of my head.

Having said that, *if* you've settled on long-term investment where you can ignore day-to-day price movements, I think a year or two down the road you won't worry about this price vs. say $0.50.

The important thing IMO is which are you here - trader or investor?

I don't mean to harp but it's an important consideration.

Sep 24, 2011. 07:29 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 12: Beginning Sept. 22, 2011 [View instapost]
    (AXPW): With what BangWhiz found below, I suspect it won't be long before another opportunity comes around.

I don't know whether to smile or frown. I guess it depends on how the ultra-long SPX and ultra-short SPX I plan to use works, ... and when.

:-\

Sep 24, 2011. 07:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Axion Power Concentrator 12: Beginning Sept. 22, 2011 [View instapost]
    "... fork lift power and other electric transport will rapidly be taken over by PbC".

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I thought the traditional batteries (esp. advanced AGM) had higher energy than PbC, which is needed for longer run times on such as forklifts. OTOH, the power, lifetime, depth of discharge capability w/o damage, and fast recharge capability were the PbC strengths, especially where regenerative braking or similar charging might be possible.

If I recalled correctly, on such as a forklift, what's the tradeoffs? Will the fast re-charge offset the reduced time between charges (e.g. charge during breaks, assuming regen braking will not be available on forklifts). What about the weight difference? Do lifts need some ballast added at the rear to maintain rated load handling capacity without increased risk of tipping? I'm presuming we want a drop-in replacement scenario there.

For OTR trucks, it becomes murkier as route profile will have a big effect on power vs. energy I guess. And regen braking would be available. On larger (Class 7/8), on-board gensets are certainly feasible and regen braking likely. So I think PbC could rule there.

Anyway, that's what crossed my mind - on the forklift stuff really.

Sep 24, 2011. 06:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment