Hamlet Capital

View Hamlet Capital's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Gold: Still Not Enough Demand For A Rally [View article]
    Hold off until January as there might be substantial tax-loss harvesting this month with paper gold.
    Dec 5 07:19 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Bond Bears Should Wait [View article]
    The Federal Reserve assumes that the Treasury will keep its promise to pay back the loans based on the belief that the government’s power to tax the is enough collateral. You and your progeny are the collateral for these loans. And you still don't see any problem with the printers working weekends?
    Dec 21 02:43 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • South Africa's Golden Tightrope [View article]
    The ANC Youth League and CPSA have called for Sasol to be nationalized, but for now it's safe.
    In terms of business opportunities there, its manufacturing and agriculture sectors are relatively small and hampered by powerful unions and arid land. You can expect water supply problems based on trending data. There has been a significant brain drain from South Africa in the past 15-20 years. I would avoid it entirely.
    Dec 22 12:35 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • South Africa's Golden Tightrope [View article]
    Although I like Sprott, I'd rather have the metals "in hand" rather in someone's warehouse.
    Dec 22 10:30 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Bond Bears Should Wait [View article]
    The wheels will fall off the cart, next week, next year or next century. No politico or banker wants to be the one holding the bag when the reset button is pressed. The can kicking will continue until then.
    Dec 21 06:56 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Spain's Pain Not Reflected In Markets [View article]
    It's not so much smoke and mirrors as it is the ECB who props up the IBEX. 365-billion Euros can go a long way in making a market look "rich". The fact is, the printing and pumping game can't continue indefinitely and some fierce reckoning will come sooner than later. Perhaps that reckoning will begin this morning.

You acknowledge Spain's bankruptcy, but then single out items which contributed to that bankruptcy as "something to show". I wouldn't find that very comforting if I were an unemployed Spaniard.

The claim of Spain's ocean resources dwarfing those of the U.S. is specious (a 1,070,730 ton fish harvest dwarfs one of 5,360,579? How about oil and gas resources in the oceans?)

Here's a link to an interesting video on Spain : http://bit.ly/UUVqPy

By the way, I have been a regular visitor to Spain since 1972, and I do love the climate.
    Dec 21 01:07 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pebble Mine On The Rocks [View article]
    I fail to see your point. I'm not stating whether or not those companies can be trusted, but that their past behaviors do them no present-day favors. It can hardly be disputed that past actions color current perceptions. Continue with your ad hominems, if it makes you feel better, but they can't change facts.
    Jul 28 11:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Pebble Mine On The Rocks [View article]
    "But the EPA said the analysis will remain part of the public record."

Thanks for the link.
    Jul 23 10:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hard Times Ahead For South African Gold Miners [View article]
    Excellent points, thanks.

Side: Gold opens at $1316 in Asia today.
    Jul 21 07:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Hard Times Ahead For South African Gold Miners [View article]
    I didn't include DRD, but I'd say that it has more of a cushion on account of its lower cost per ounce. Labor action at specific companies tend to be at underground mines, but DRD is still subject to NUM's general demands.
    Jul 21 02:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • New Seizures By Morales Highlight Bolivia Risk [View article]
    Thanks for your comments.
    As I noted elsewhere, Bolivia is only one dancer in the "resource nationalism" troupe. From a broader perspective, that movement is gaining momentum, in my opinion.
    I have found very little information, except for that released by CDE, regarding assurances from authorities. My Spanish isn't the best, so perhaps I missed something while reviewing Bolivian sources.
    Time will tell whether "most analysts" were correct or not.
    Thanks again for your thoughts.
    Jan 1 01:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • New Seizures By Morales Highlight Bolivia Risk [View article]
    Control? Influence? At what point does influence become control? Semantics ...
    Dec 31 11:17 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Yen Doesn't Live In A Vacuum: Shorts Take Notice [View article]
    I would argue that when it comes to central banks, there is no difference between "created" and "borrowed" money. Central banks "create" money when they are "borrowed" from.

As for the notion that "spending, public and private, deficit or otherwise, should be encouraged", credit expansion is to blame for asset bubbles and merely delays pain and compounds it for future generations.
    Dec 26 03:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Bond Bears Should Wait [View article]
    Nobody can predict the "when", that will depend on mass perceptions. Since the ultimate backer of the USD is the U.S. armed forces, I believe that the "end game" will consist of war and untold human suffering.
    Play it with liquid tangible assets in your possession.
    Dec 26 01:54 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Have Brazil And Mantega Gone Too Far? [View article]
    It's too bad, really.
    The credit card comment is interesting. If I was convinced that my paper currency was going to be worth significantly less in the near future, then I'd buy all the liquid tangibles I could with credit.
    Dec 24 08:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment