HansPowers

View HansPowers' Comments BY TICKER:
  • 7 Stocks to Profit From the iPad and Tablet Revolution [View article]
    Hi Tom -- I'm currently long on SNDK shares, I prefer them slightly over Toshiba since they're a pure-play in the modern data storage market and are pushing into the enterprise market. (Note that the two companies have several joint ventures in memory production, they have been partners for years)

As for Windows 8 tablets, I'd expect to see them grow by taking share away from current Windows laptop buyers. The PC laptop market is huge, and ARM has not yet broken ground here. While I would not expect Windows 8 tablets buyers to be in the same customer group as iPad buyers, ARM should benefit from a shift in Windows-based laptops to smaller, cheaper, ARM-based slates. The Windows-based "netbook" category should also die off going forward, and those customers would also be candidates for buying an Windows/ARM tablet.
    Aug 5, 2011. 06:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Stocks to Profit From the iPad and Tablet Revolution [View article]
    Hi Edward, thanks for the comment - it's true, Toshiba and SanDisk have been partners for years and both stand to benefit from increased usage of NAND in consumer devices, I listed both firms in the memory section (and strictly speaking the iPad could be listed under both companies). I especially like the joint investment in their latest 24nm fab plant, showing off both their strong partnership and continued R&D for the future.

As for the Galaxy, there are several memory components manufactured by Samsung (e.g. the RAM), however the 16/32/64 GB storage is listed as SanDisk - I'd certainly expect that to change in the future revisions of the Tab as Samsung continues to build out their fabs as you mention..
    Aug 2, 2011. 11:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Stocks to Profit From the iPad and Tablet Revolution [View article]
    Hi AintRaight - I feel your pain about Apple's share price, I recently wrote an article that describes alternatives to Apple shares to benefit from riding the iPhone's coattails (seekingalpha.com/artic...). Also keep in mind that Apple makes up around 12% of the NASDAQ index, so if you prefer playing indexes, you could get a piece of Apple that way.

As for T and VZ, I'd be in T right now since I believe the company is undervalued relative to Verizon - eventually AT&T will resolve its issues around customer service and network quality, and thus shake off the bad news that has pushed the share price down for so long (T also has a slightly better yield as of writing). I'm not long either of the stocks but I am an AT&T customer... currently trying to get a 3G signal to finish this post.
    Aug 2, 2011. 08:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Stocks to Profit From the iPad and Tablet Revolution [View article]
    thank you for reading!
    Aug 2, 2011. 08:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Stocks to Profit From the iPad and Tablet Revolution [View article]
    Agreed with you on Foxconn.. I'd stay away from the assembly/distribution side of tablet production and focus on the various suppliers' intellectual property that could be applied to other devices (besides iPad)..
    Aug 2, 2011. 08:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Stocks to Profit From the iPad and Tablet Revolution [View article]
    Not sure if Apple ever confirmed the precise source of their glass for the iPad 2, but it certainly is similar to Corning's 'gorilla glass' that Advill mentions. Either way, I do like GLW since their glass technology goes into so many devices - new-generation laptops, smartphones, TVs..
    Aug 2, 2011. 08:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • UBS E-TRACS IPO ETNs: Will Internet IPOs Party Like It's 1999? [View article]
    Note: title should read "UBS ETRACS Internet IPO ETN...", correction has been submitted
    Jul 28, 2011. 04:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment