Harlan Kessler

View Harlan Kessler's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Seeking Alpha's Positioning For 2014 Update [View instapost]
    Thanks Chris.

In your opinion which comes first LORL or OSHC? Certainly seemed like LORL, but the trial will likely slow down the sale. Is there an estimate of how long the trial will go or how long these type of trials usually last?
    Apr 8 01:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Plug Power: Is This Time Different? [View article]
    Here is a report published today by Citron Research. They put PLUG's fair value at $0.50.

Mar 11 12:42 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sanofi's Viehbacher Says Lemtrada Can Still Be A Big Success [View instapost]
    Lemtrada approved in Mexico

Feb 4 03:49 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mazor Robotics: The Medical Renaissance Is Underway [View article]
    Slapshot99 - I agree. When i started the article the price was ~$16.50. a few days later right before the article was published it was $19.00. A month later it was as high as $25.50. JMP Securities just upped their price target to $31, Barclays to $29. While I like the company and product's long-term potential, the stock certainly has gotten ahead of itself
    Jan 27 04:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mazor Robotics: The Medical Renaissance Is Underway [View article]
    Rene - I think, and hope, you are correct. This could be a huge deal
    Dec 23 09:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mazor Robotics: The Medical Renaissance Is Underway [View article]
    dawgpac68 - I'm glad you enjoyed the article. The brain surgery app will definitely be a huge boost.
    Dec 23 09:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mazor Robotics: The Medical Renaissance Is Underway [View article]
    Madhastings - They are definitely having a good quarter and after the equity offering well capitalized to fuel growth.

Thanks for the comment and link.
    Dec 23 09:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How To Profit From The Increasing Migration Of The World's Population [View article]
    Hi Francis, Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the article.
    Dec 12 12:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • USD/JPY - Yen Edges Lower As Markets Eye Key U.S. Releases [View article]
    Hi Jackmaster - I am considering going long Yen as a safe haven asset which is negatively correlated with the US stock markets. YCS is short Yen and DXJ is an equity fund. I am looking at FXY as a hedge for a global selloff.

Thanks
    Dec 5 08:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has Berkshire Hathaway Repeated Its ConocoPhillips Fiasco? [View article]
    One issue with your current price of COP, it spun off PSX which you did not take into account. So including the shares of PSX he now holds, the position has been profitable for BRK.
    Dec 4 04:10 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • USD/JPY - Yen Edges Lower As Markets Eye Key U.S. Releases [View article]
    Dean - Good article. How has Japan's QE impacted its "safe haven" status?

I think the US market will correct and would like to protect some money in FXY. What wins out Japans monetary policy or the safe haven status?
    Dec 4 11:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comments On Rayonier's Q3 2013 Results [View article]
    Tom - Another good article. I appreciate that you follow the timber sector as I have as well for many years. There is real value there that many are unaware of. The NCREIF index has returned ~13% since its inception in 1987, higher than all other asset classes with much less risk.

I initiated a position after the drop. One item to note: management knew this was coming for months and they raised the September dividend by over 11%. I think that shows confidence in their business even in a challenging environment. A yield over 4% offers a good safety margin and allows investors to accumulate more shares if the share price drops further.
    Nov 27 12:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comments On Weyerhaeuser's Q3 2013 Results [View article]
    In a reverse morris trust WY would spin off the HB unit which will then merge with TPH.

TPH has a market cap of <$500mm with <$80mm cash on hand. WY may get some cash but the majority of the transaction will be financed with stock.
    Nov 2 08:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comments On Weyerhaeuser's Q3 2013 Results [View article]
    Tom - Good article and I am also eagerly awaiting the sale of its homebuilding business. I think the use of a Reverse Morris Trust is a great move and will return value to shareholders. It is largely a tax-free transaction and allows WY's shareholders to continue holding its home building unit (then Tri-Pointe).

Am I correct in looking at this as a fancy way to say a spinoff? The difference being we give up a certain % ownership in WY's home building unit but also acquire a % ownership in Tri-Points's business?
    Nov 1 12:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Will The Metals Exceed Their September Highs? [View article]
    chcc, Agreed. I do not subscribe so I do not really know what was said and maybe I am reading the quote i posted above incorrectly.

The way i read it is he told subscribers in early September (not late August) he was "keying in" on 138 at which point he would short. Then says that trade worked out well. GLD never hit 138 in September.

The article he references above was posted September 8th. GLD's highest price in September was 136.79 on September 3rd.
    Nov 1 11:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment