Harold Fredrick

View Harold Fredrick's Comments BY TICKER:
BCS, PM, TXN, Z
  • Sideways Holiday Labor Force Participation - Bad News For Markets, Economy [View article]
    RWM,

I disagree. There cannot be a stable market until unemployment is tackled. Unemployment at this magnitude is far too damaging to the economy: http://seekingalpha.co...
    Dec 5, 2011. 12:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    IY,

I carefully evaluate any "positive" economic report issued by the government. There are far too many political interests in spinning bad news.
    Dec 5, 2011. 12:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    NM,

It's true that the conventional media is largely a waste of time. Unfortunately, they're what the majority of the electorate pays attention to.
    Dec 5, 2011. 12:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Demographics Of The Lost Generation [View article]
    Glad things worked out for you. And thanks!
    Dec 5, 2011. 12:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Demographics Of The Lost Generation [View article]
    I agree wholeheartedly, Seth. In their current form, student loans will protract my generation's financial woes. There needs to be bankruptcy reform.

I also know what you mean about Bethlehem. My uncle worked QC at a mill in Pottsville for several years before his plant was shuttered. Unions and free trade agreements really hurt that part of the country.
    Dec 4, 2011. 05:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The wire services wrote the narrative as if the report were manna from heaven. Some commentators expressed skepticism (Rick Santelli went as far as to call the report "politically-motivated", which I agree). But the majority of the talking heads who read off teleprompters qualified the report as the "best since the end of the recession".

Yes, the market gave back many of its gains by the end of the day. But, make no mistake. The Bulls will run with this. As a matter of fact, there are several authors on this site who used the report as evidence of economic recovery.
    Dec 4, 2011. 02:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dear Readers,

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my article. I invite you to help promote my writing by following me and/or recommending this article. The follow button is on the upper-left side of the screen under my profile picture. The recommend button is next to the alpha logo under the title. Thanks again!
    Dec 4, 2011. 01:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Demographics Of The Lost Generation [View article]
    I appreciate your candor, but not everyone can work on an oil rig. Our generation has an extreme structural unemployment problem. Just saying "make them work on oil rigs" doesn't help.
    Dec 2, 2011. 02:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Demographics Of The Lost Generation [View article]
    Get unemployed, lose your house, and then get back to me about your toughness.
    Nov 29, 2011. 09:14 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Demographics Of The Lost Generation [View article]
    Yes, my generation will ultimately reap some benefits as the Baby Boomers liquidate. But at what cost? The other day I bought the same pair of running shoes I had when I ran cross country and track in HS. But for 50% less. Not adjusted for inflation. I got the shoes so much cheaper because of free trade agreements. But, the tradeoff has been millions of Americans' jobs. Possibly my own. So, am I better off?
    Nov 29, 2011. 09:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Demographics Of The Lost Generation [View article]
    I've been unemployed for a few years now. I get by with my freelance biz consulting, Spanish translation, and Seeking Alpha writing, but I'm not making anywhere near what I used to. I never thought that a degree alone would get me a good job. But I'm a former biz owner and industrious kind of guy. I had the *reasonable* expectation of earning a living after graduate school.

Yes, I'm very concerned about the economy and my generation's future.
    Nov 29, 2011. 08:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Demographics Of The Lost Generation [View article]
    Al,

Military service shouldn't be a generation's best shot at making a life. I'm not naive as to think there aren't threats in the world. But, overall, the military is a grandiose waste of money. I've talked several times about my hometown of Charleston, SC. My town is a hotbed of military contractors that are a net drain on the economy. Every dime the military and its profligate contractors spends is a dime seized from the private sector. I applied for OCS a while back, and I was declined because of a minor health issue. I was devastated at the time, but I'm actually glad. I support our troops, but I don't support our military strategy. We cause more harm than good.
    Nov 29, 2011. 08:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Demographics Of The Lost Generation [View article]
    Thanks, NB. In 2007, I thought an MBA in finance would be a safe bet. I was wrong. I've considered several times going back to school for a technical degree. But incurring more debt scares me. The ROI on my MBA was terrible, and the debt follows me everywhere.
    Nov 29, 2011. 08:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Demographics Of The Lost Generation [View article]
    Thanks, NM!

To muoio, I'm doing what I can to survive by freelancing and contributing to Seeking Alpha. But again, it was much easier for displaced workers from the Great Depression to return to work than those from my generation. Add that to the fact that the median duration of unemployment is higher now than it was during the Great Depression. That's some scary stuff! And, now Europe is about to implode! I really want to be positive, but I'm not simply not feeling confident about the future. But I'm giving my all regardless.
    Nov 28, 2011. 06:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment