Harris Schley

View Harris Schley's Comments BY TICKER:
  • SuperCom's SmartID Acquisition: Immediate Accretion Should Yield A Reevaluation [View article]
    Thank you for your comment. I am glad that I acted yesterday before the close to get in on OTIV. I have been following it for a while now and believe that getting in below $3 was a good entry point.
    Dec 17, 2013. 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Tom,

Any thoughts on OTIV for after the deal closes?
    Dec 16, 2013. 03:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • ParkerVision Shares Vision And Insight Into Its Future In Conference Call [View article]
    First, I just want to clarify that I meant for the royalty rate to be increased for future royalties compared to past usage.

From Paice v. Toyota and Amado v Microsoft, we learned that damages for past and future infringement are distinct and require different royalty rates because of the change in the parties' legal relationship. The recent trend in the courts has been to use a Modified Georgia-Pacific analysis in determining post-verdict royalties. The main reason for the increase is the increase in strength of bargaining position after a finding of infringement and validity.

One other case that uses this line of reasoning is Creative Internet Advertising Corp v. Yahoo! Inc when the court stated: "the Federal Circuit has instructed that post-verdict infringement should typically entail a higher royalty rate than the reasonable royalty found at trial. . . and the Court adopts a methodology that recognized the effect of a jury verdict on the parties' negotiating position as they enter into a hypothetical negotiation."

One main problem with the running royalty rate issue is time. The Courts give the parties ample opportunity to negotiate a reasonable royalty or settlement and will not rush to issue a royalty rate. However, there is a lot of case law out there supporting an increase in the royalty rate for post-verdict infringement if the court has to issue one.
    Nov 14, 2013. 12:58 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo's Appeal Could Be Worth A Half Billion Dollars [View article]
    Actually, this selling was preplanned and is in order to cover their tax liabilities.
    Oct 2, 2013. 11:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo's Appeal Could Be Worth A Half Billion Dollars [View article]
    Thank you @H. Bruce Campbell and @jjcrunch for your insightful comments. H Bruce Campbell, I completely agree as I stated that this onerous burden put on the patentee to constantly monitor the internet for any and all post related to their patented inventions is both unfair and just not possible. Additionally, as VRNG points out in their brief, the court does not even point out a certain time frame for how long Lycos had to find the post. The court ruled that there was constructive knowledge from the day of the post, so it seems as if companies or people owning patents would be required to search the internet on a daily basis for anything related to their patents. Again, thank you both for your great comments and I hope this case works out great for all of us.
    Sep 30, 2013. 09:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why iTunes Radio Will Severely Hurt Pandora [View article]
    Thank you for your very insightful comment. Absolutely great when you can have civilized discussions in comments of an article. I respect your opinion and appreciate that comment.

My issue with Pandora is that I believe most of their users come from iOS and I believe many iOS users will at least give iTunes Radio a chance. Because of this, I believe Pandora will show less growth when the next few earnings numbers come out and show less usage amongst it's users. After seeing and using iTunes Radio myself, I believe this even more as I think iTunes Radio is a great product that is high quality.
    Sep 29, 2013. 08:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo's Appeal Could Be Worth A Half Billion Dollars [View article]
    Thank you for posting the brief. I had the second hyperlink removed.
    Sep 27, 2013. 03:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Vringo's Appeal Could Be Worth A Half Billion Dollars [View article]
    Yes, I did consider the appellate standard of review. I believe it will set a very bad precedent to consider all posts on the internet open, notorious, and pervasive notwithstanding the number of views, comments, and reach of the post. As I stated in the article, this is far from a certainty, but I did just share my belief.
    Sep 27, 2013. 01:55 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Facebook Can Take Over The Internet [View article]
    No problem. Thank you for taking the time to read it. I am just glad that people enjoyed reading it.
    Sep 26, 2013. 11:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Facebook Can Take Over The Internet [View article]
    Thank you for your appreciated high praise.
    Sep 26, 2013. 04:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Facebook Can Take Over The Internet [View article]
    No problem. Thank you for taking the time and reading it.
    Sep 26, 2013. 01:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Facebook Can Take Over The Internet [View article]
    @beatidoc

I agree with that as well. Facebook is absolutely amazing how it has transformed how we communicate with each other and know about everything that happens in each persons life. When it comes down to it, FB must continue to do what FB does best.
    Sep 26, 2013. 01:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Facebook Can Take Over The Internet [View article]
    Very good comment and thank you for the response. Facebook, as many companies do, has risks in the future. However, I believe they have set themselves up for great future growth and currently, and I like the current risk reward make up.
    Sep 26, 2013. 12:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why iTunes Radio Will Severely Hurt Pandora [View article]
    Pandora does not have any deals with the Music Labels. They go through the governmental agencies in each country. At this time, they only have deals with the USA, Australia, and New Zealand. Apple's deals with the music companies include rights among the countries that iTune's already exists. I believe that number is around 119 countries. It will be very costly and time consuming for Pandora to get into that many countries.
    Sep 18, 2013. 01:41 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IP Plays With Operating Businesses And Recent Insider Buying [View article]
    @Patent News

CEO Jeffrey Ronaldi has revealed in SEC filings that he recently purchased 15,317 shares within the last week. Additionally, COO Peter Hardigan recently purchased 5,000 shares. As I anticipated, the insiders are buying and this is a great sign for the stock. While not the be all end all, it is certainly a great sign.

Sep 17, 2013. 12:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment