View as an RSS Feed
View Hawkinvest's Articles BY TICKER:
AA, AAPL, AB, ABR, ABT, ABX, ACCO, ACI, ACW, AGCO, AGNC, AINV, AMD, AMSC, AMTG, ANGI, APU, ARCC, ARR, AUMN, AVNW, AXAS, AXL, AXTI, AXX, BA, BAC, BBEP, BBRY, BBSI, BDCL, BHI, BKCC, BP, BRCD, BRSS, BWP, CAG, CAT, CCJ, CELG, CHK, CIM, CLMT, CMO, COF, COP, CRNT, CSCO, CTB, CTHR, CVX, CYS, DE, DECK, DELL, DHY, DIS, DLLR, DLR, DMND, DNN, DOLE, DRYS, DVR, EHI, EMC, ERF, EROC, ETN, ETP, EXC, F, FB, FCX, FGP, FSC, FSFR, FST, GBDC, GCA, GD, GE, GLAD, GLW, GM, GMO, GNW, GSK, GT, HAL, HD, HERO, HLSS, HNW, HPQ, HRZN, HTS, HYF, IBM, INTC, IRC, IRDM, IVR, JBL, JCI, JGW, JIVE, JNJ, JPM, KCAP, KEG, KKR, KO, KTOS, LRE, MAIN, MCC, MCD, MCEP, MCGC, MCP, MDR, MEA, MERU, MET, MGM, MMLP, MO, MORL, MRK, MSFT, MWE, NBR, NCT, NE, NEM, NEON, NIHD, NLY, NMFC, NOK, NOV, NRF, NRT, NTP, NZTCY, OHAI, OLP, OME, ORAN, ORCL, PBR, PDLI, PNNT, PSEC, QCOM, RALY, RENN, RIG, RIOM, RST, RTN, RVM, S, SBUX, SDRL, SIRI, SLRC, SLV, SPH, SPY, SSYS, STO, STS, STWD, SVBL, SVVC, SWSH, SWY, T, TAS, TCAP, TESO, TGT, TICC, TPC, TSLA, TTM, TWI, TWO, TWTR, TXT, URG, USEG, USO, VALE, VLO, VOD, VOXX, VTG, VZ, WFT, WG, WGA, WILC, WM, WMB, WMT, WRES, X, XCO, XOM, YHOO, ZNGA
McDermott's Recent GE Deal And More Details On This $2 Stock
- McDermott shares appear severely undervalued by the market due to very negative investor sentiment.
- A closer look into the financials, contract backlog and business model indicates that market pessimism is overdone.
- This company has a contract backlog of about $4 billion, nearly $900 million in cash and no significant debt (of just $300 million) due until 2019.
- Most analyst price targets suggest this $2 stock could double in value, if not more.
- A recent deal with GE boosts the long-term outlook.
Caterpillar: After A Big Drop, Is This Stock A Buy?
- Caterpillar shares plunged due to disappointing earnings and weak guidance.
- Many investors might be tempted to buy now, but this stock is not really cheap.
- I believe investors should also consider the balance sheet as a potential downside risk factor more thoroughly.
- With a number of remaining challenges, this stock might not have much upside for now.
Update: U.S. Steel Earnings Soar Past Estimates
- U.S. Steel easily beat results which shows management is executing and that the market has been too bearish on this stock.
- This stock is cheap as it trades below book value and for just about 7 times earnings.
- Shorts could help fuel gains in the coming days and the longer-term outlook could also brighten as cheap oil boosts consumer spending on autos and appliances.
OPEC Made A Huge Mistake That We Can All Profit From
- OPEC appears to have made a huge mistake financially by not simply cutting production.
- OPEC members including Saudi Arabia are in this business for money and long-term decisions will be based on this point, not on politics or other short-term factors.
- By doing some basic math, it's easy to see that OPEC could be much better off by simply cutting production rather than "cutting prices".
- Production is being cut by companies in the U.S. and OPEC could also make cuts if oil prices don't rebound soon.
- The inaction by OPEC is likely temporary as is the oil "glut" which makes this a potentially significant buying opportunity for values not seen in many years.
These 5 Signs Indicate That Oil May Have Already Hit Rock Bottom
- Oil appears to be stabilizing and could now be at or near the bottom.
- The gold to oil ratio and a few key oil stock charts also indicate that we might have already seen the bottom.
- Historical data from the 2008 Financial Crisis and data from past oil plunges now suggests a powerful rally may be looming.
- New policies from Europe should boost demand for oil in the coming months which could begin to support prices now.
- Significant new buying interest in the energy sector from industry insiders, major corporations and private equity firms also suggest a bottom may have been reached.
'Smart Money' Keeps Buying Cheap Shares Of J.G. Wentworth
- This relatively unknown stock is trading for just about 6 times earnings estimates.
- In this niche segment, J.G. Wentworth is an industry leader with a solid business model.
- Kerrisdale Capital, and other "smart money" investors continue to hold large stakes and some have even bought significantly more in the past weeks.
Oil Doomsayer Price Predictions Could Be A Major Buy Signal For The Sector
- Analysts and media outlets appear to be grabbing headlines with extremely bearish oil price predictions.
- These types of predictions may never come to fruition, just as bold and overly bullish predictions have failed in the past.
- Investors should avoid short-term and fear-based thinking and focus on the fact that oil prices rebounded after the 2008 financial crisis plunge.
- Investors should also realize that rapid rig shutdowns will cure the current oversupply and balance will return to the market in the future.
- It makes sense to be averaging into the oil sector while extremely negative headlines continue to capture the attention of the markets.
Oil Stocks: Buy Low (Now), Sell High (Later)
- After a oil price plunge, investors are getting a chance to buy low and participate in a future potential rebound.
- Supply destruction is taking place and that should begin to support oil prices.
- Consumption remains solid and could grow by nearly a million barrels per day in 2015, according to the IEA.
- Extremely bearish price predictions and cover stories for oil could be a major buy signal.
U.S. Steel: After A 50% Drop, This Stock Looks Strong For Value Investors
- While U.S. Steel is probably experiencing reduced demand for tubular steel products, it is not enough to warrant a 50% decline in the share price.
- It is possible that increased demand from other sectors could offset any weakness in the energy sector, as cheap oil can boost economic growth.
- This stock appears to be a bargain as it trades well below book value and for just about 7 times earnings.
- Cost cutting measures continue and that could translate into higher profits in the future.
Update: American Superconductor Outlook Bullish With Growing Cyber-Security Threats And New $1.50 Price Target
- The market appears to be unaware of the potential emerging from American Superconductor's resilient grid system.
- New and bullish analyst coverage suggest this stock is worth double the current price.
- Shorts continue to cover this beaten-down stock and it has built a solid base over the past few weeks which could signal that downside is limited.
Update: McDermott And General Electric Announce A New Oil And Gas Joint Venture
- General Electric and McDermott have announced a new joint venture which could lead to significant opportunities.
- General Electric is one of the world's largest companies and it has been expanding its oil and gas industry exposure.
- McDermott shares are very undervalued due to negative investor sentiment in the oil sector and this has created a significant buying opportunity.
- At less than $3, McDermott shares are near Financial Crisis lows of 2009, and investors who bought back then made huge gains as it rebounded to $25 by 2011.
A 2015 'Nuclear Renaissance' Should Fuel Solid Gains For Uranium Stocks
- The recent sell-off in many energy stocks has created a buying opportunity in the uranium sector.
- Uranium could be one of the world's most undervalued assets and be poised for demand growth.
- Japan plans to restart a number of nuclear plants in the coming months and this could mark the start of a 2015 'nuclear renaissance'.
- Beyond 2015, there a numerous nuclear plants that are either under construction or being planned which should virtually guarantee increased demand for uranium.
The Oil Crash: Taking Advantage Of The Best Buying Opportunity Since The 2008 Financial Crisis
- The crash in oil prices has created an exceptional buying opportunity, and some oil stocks are back near financial crisis lows.
- The perfect storm of factors that caused the plunge in oil prices are not going to last forever.
- Cheap oil is likely to boost consumption and add to global economic growth in the coming months, which should lead to more oil consumption.
- Rig counts are dropping at record levels and that is a sign that production will be lower in coming months which sets the stage for an oil price rebound.
- Now is the time to be averaging into the oil sector, as history shows a powerful rebound is coming sooner or later.
These Undervalued Casino Stocks Could Breakout As Cheap Oil Fuels Consumer Spending
- A recent plunge in oil should lead to increased consumer spending on food, travel, entertainment and more.
- The two casino sector stocks below appear undervalued and should benefit from increased consumer spending.
- Both stocks have significant upside of between 30 to 40%, according to analysts and one of these trades for just 7 times earnings.
Kratos Defense: Major Orders Keep Rolling In For This $5 Drone Play
- Kratos is very well positioned to benefit from growing demand for drones, cybersecurity, and advanced security systems.
- KTOS has a market cap of just about $300 million and appears very undervalued as not many investors are as familiar with this relatively small firm.
- The company has been awarded a number of major contract wins in just the past few weeks, and it has a backlog worth about $1 billion.
- A recent "strategic review" could mean that one or more divisions, or the entire company is "in-play."
- This stock is too cheap to ignore at just $5, and multiple insiders have been recent buyers.
Update: McDermott Wins Another Contract And Its $3 Shares Get Upgraded To 'Overweight'
- McDermott management continues to execute and the company announced a new contract award.
- McDermott shares are near $3 which is close to Financial Crisis lows, and that was a huge buying opportunity since the stock subsequently went to $25 in 2011.
- On January 5, McDermott shares were upgraded to "overweight".
- McDermott is my "best idea" for 2015, due to its cheap valuation, over $4 billion backlog, strong balance sheet and significant long-term upside.
2 High Yield Investments That Could Double Your Money In About 7 Years
- A recent pullback in the high yield sector has created another buying opportunity.
- Buying pullbacks in junk bonds and the high yield sector has been generally rewarding over the past few years.
- Interest rates are not likely to rise significantly in 2015, and that means the hunt for yield continues.
- Investments that yield about 9.5% or more can double your money in as little as 7 years.
Update: Kratos Continues To Receive Significant New Orders For Drones And Other Products
- Kratos continues to announce a flurry of new orders, some of which are significant for a $300 million market cap company.
- At just over $5 per share, this stock appears significantly undervalued.
- Kratos offers the types of products (like drones) and cyber security solutions that are needed to protect against modern warfare threats.
- Analysts believe that Kratos is an attractive takeover target due to its product line and valuation.
- Defense sector stocks are starting to breakout and that means Kratos could be poised to trend higher.
Best Long Idea For 2015: McDermott International (Part 2)
- The pullback in McDermott shares is unjustified, especially as it trades near the $3 lows it hit during the Financial Crisis and for less than half its book value.
- Investors who bought at about $3 during the last crisis (2008) were able to sell for $25 by 2011, which provided 800% returns.
- McDermott has a lot more cash than some investors realize, a multi-billion dollar contract backlog and a stellar reputation in the industry.
- Historically, McDermott has been very profitable and contrary to what many investors believe, it is not dependent on high oil prices to be profitable.
- McDermott expects to realize about $2.8 billion in revenues in 2015 and analysts expect it to turn a profit.
Raytheon's Cheap Shares Have More Firepower
- Defense sector stocks are trending higher.
- This industry is poised for continued growth, especially with increasing global demand for cyber security and drones.
- Raytheon appears undervalued and could be poised for additional gains, therefore investors should consider buying, especially on pullbacks.
Best Long Idea For 2015: McDermott International At $2.50 (Part I)
- Fear based selling, margin call selling and tax-loss selling has caused many oil sector stocks to plunge.
- Irrational and forced margin call selling can create tremendous buying opportunities.
- At just over $2.50, McDermott shares have been unfairly and excessively punished, but now appear poised to rebound as shorts cover and as tax-loss selling fades.
- McDermott is working through less profitable contracts that were accepted by the former management team and it has recently won significant new contracts.
- With book value at about $6.50, and with Barron's suggesting this company has "normalized" earnings power of $1 per share, this stock could outperform in 2015.
Update: Kratos Announces A $72.3 Million Contract, And Insiders Buy More Shares
- Kratos remains underfollowed and undervalued as the company reports good news.
- This company recently announced a successful test flight and a $72.3 million contract from the U.S. Air Force.
- Insiders have been repeatedly buying shares throughout this year, and three new insider buys were recently reported.
- Kratos could be an ideal takeover target, as the company is providing drones and cyber security solutions which are well-suited for modern threats.
American Superconductor: Too Cheap To Ignore With Emerging Energy Grid Security Catalysts
- Buying under-followed and undervalued, small-cap stocks can lead to strong returns.
- Buying beaten down stocks at the end of the year also van pay off as tax loss selling ends in December and shorts often cover in January.
- American Superconductor has a strong balance sheet, revenue growth and price targets of between $2.10 to $3.25 per share.
- A settlement could be an added bonus, but investors should focus on high-potential new products that address energy grid security and ship protection.
- American Superconductor is an ideal way to play strong demand for wind power in India (which is expected to double in the next 5 years).
Kratos: At Just $5, This Drone And Defense Stock Is Giving Investors A Half-Off Sale
- This little-known drone and defense sector stock is too cheap to ignore after a recent pullback.
- Barron's and other analysts point out this company could be ripe for a takeover and at a significant premium to the current share price.
- This company is poised to benefit from increased demand for security, surveillance, and the use of drones, which means the long-term future looks bright.
- According to multiple analysts, this stock could be worth about twice the current share price.
- This stock could also be poised for short-term gains as tax loss selling ends and potential short-covering increases in January.
January Effect Rally: Why These 'Fallen Angels' Could Outperform In 2015
- Buying beaten down stocks at this time of year can make a lot of strategic sense.
- Already cheap stocks have been getting hit with a temporary round of excess selling pressure for tax reasons.
- These types of stocks often experience strong rebounds in a "Santa Claus" rally that could start on December 19th.
- Shorts that have big gains in battered stocks often cover in January (also for tax reasons), which can fuel additional gains in a "January Effect" rally.
Oil Doomsayers Were Wrong In 2009: 4 Reasons Why They Are Wrong Now
- Oil is extremely oversold and due for a rebound.
- Oil consumption remains strong and is likely to increase thanks to cheaper prices.
- Historically oil rebounds quite quickly, especially when the U.S. and global economy are growing.
- Investors are overly negative on oil ever since the OPEC meeting, but production cuts could still be on the way.
Key Energy At $1: Priced Like An Option With Upside Potential To Match
- A massive rout in oil stocks has been caused by declining oil, extremely negative sentiment, margin call selling and tax-loss selling.
- Key Energy shares were trading for more than $10 earlier this year and now are too cheap to ignore at just over $1.
- This company has a significant amount of liquidity and a history of big comebacks.
- Key Energy shares are priced like an option and could deliver major long term upside.
- This stock is also deeply oversold and it is likely to rebound in the short term as tax loss selling fades.
Angie's List At $5: Poised For A Buyout, A Short-Squeeze And A January Effect Rally
- Angie's List shares are a compelling value and have multiple upside catalysts.
- This stock is undervalued based on rival valuations, revenue growth, and takeover potential.
- Angie's List shares have long-term potential as well as short-term potential as the end of tax loss selling and short-covering could create a "January Effect Rally".
Update: Ceragon Chairman Buys Over 1.22 Million Shares For Just Over $1
- A December 10th filing with the SEC shows that the chairman purchased over 1.2 million shares at $1.05.
- Trading for a mere fraction of a $4 analyst price target and with a market cap equivalent to less than a single quarter of revenues, upside looms.
- This stock has been forming a solid base for the past few weeks, and it could be poised to trend higher as tax-loss selling pressure fades soon.
- Ceragon Networks might have heightened takeover potential due to its low valuation.
The 'Immense Opportunity' Is Not In Exxon, It's In Small-Cap Oil Stocks
- Oil prices may not go as low as some expect and, even if they do, they probably will quickly rebound.
- The global economy appears poised for long-term growth, and the recent drop in oil prices is only likely to increase oil consumption and economic activity.
- Many investors are buying Exxon shares due to a slight pullback in that stock, but the really immense opportunity appears to be in small-cap oil stocks.
- The relative strength in Exxon could be a sign that oil is not going to see a significant additional decline.
- Small-cap stocks that have strong balance sheets, significant hedges, and even multi-year contract backlogs are worth buying now.
The Odds Of An Emergency OPEC Meeting Are Going Up
- Many investors seem convinced that Saudi Arabia is interested in a never-ending price war, but this makes zero business sense.
- Oil is a valuable resource that is not going to be pumped out at low prices forever.
- The global economy is much stronger than it was in 2009, so a return to those low price levels seems completely unjustified by the current fundamentals.
- OPEC is likely to take emergency action if oil does not stabilize soon and Saudi Arabia appears willing to act now, if other members act.
True Bargains Emerge Amid The Oil Stock Rubble: Abraxas Is Worth More Than $3
- Oil demand is likely to increase with prices at these levels, plus, the 5-year futures curve is predicting $80 oil.
- If you seek real opportunities and bargains now, the small-cap oil stocks are the place to be, not the major integrated oils like Chevron which is not down much.
- Emotional, fear-based selling, forced margin call selling and tax-loss selling pressure has temporarily and unfairly punished many smaller oil stocks.
- Abraxas Petroleum has been pushed down to just about 5 times earnings and it is hedged around 80% of its production for the next two years at about $85.
- This $2.40 stock could be poised for a very significant rally into year end as bargain hunters take notice and as tax-loss selling fades and shorts cover.