Book Review: 'The End Of College' By Kevin Carey
Sat, Mar. 21 • 2 Comments
- Assess higher education trends identified by Kevin Carey and their applicability to business and economy.
- Analysis of the education market's transition from brick-and-mortar to digital.
- Survey of companies and VCs investing in and affecting the transition to digitized education (Google, LinkedIn, Cisco, Microsoft).
Fossilized Asset Allocation Still Mis-Pricing Energy And Risk
- All energy sectors are still treated alike, dominated by fossil fuels. Energy assets based on commodities: coal, oil, gas, uranium are confused and conflated with energy technology stocks.
- Energy technology stocks in solar, wind, batteries, efficiency, hydro, ocean-based and other emerging technologies are drowned out in this oil-dominated model.
- Oil price volatility will continue as a wild card and presents an opportunity to address today’s massive mispricing of energy and risk.
- Disaggregation and granulation of data is needed while splitting fossilized asset allocation buckets into newer energy commodities and energy technology classifications.
Review Of Zero To One By Peter Thiel
Sep. 20, 2014 • Comment!
- Hazel Henderson review of the new book: Zero to One.
- Looking toward business of the future.
- Offering ideas beyond textbook economics.
Review Of 'With Liberty And Dividends For All' By Peter Barnes
Sep. 4, 2014 • 1 Comment
- Hazel Henderson reviews Peter Barnes' 2014 book "With Liberty and Dividends for All".
- Explores Barnes' rethinking on the design of capitalism to account for structural problems.
- Offers market-based solutions for more balanced, sustainable economies that might also reduce resource depletion.
Review Of Creating Climate Wealth: Unlocking The Impact Economy
Aug. 16, 2014 • 1 Comment
- Hazel Henderson's review of Jigar Shah's book "Creating Climate Wealth."
- Understanding the trajectory of SunEdison.
- Following Jigar Shah's reasoning for Green Investments.
Review Of 'Risky Business' - A Report From Bloomberg
Jun. 28, 2014 • 6 Comments
- Hazel Henderson's analysis of the report "Risky Business".
- Report focuses on the economic risks of climate change in the US.
- Lists the many leaders and industry sectors taking climate change seriously.
Review Of 'The Systems View Of Life: A Unifying Vision' By Capra And Luisi
Jun. 28, 2014 • 2 Comments
- Hazel Henderson's analysis of The Systems View Of Life: A Unifying Vision from an economy perspective.
- Describes how economics and finance are influenced by the connection between hard sciences and social sciences.
- Highlights Fritjof Capra and Pier Luigi Luisi's multidisciplinary approach to putting our understanding of life in the context of a global economy.
Review Of 'Zero Marginal Cost Society'
Jun. 13, 2014 • 4 Comments
- Traces Jeremy Rifkin's work, culminating in the book The Zero Marginal Cost Society.
- Describes some of Rifkin's past successful forecasting.
- Describes Rifkin's analysis of current trends in capitalists societies.
Review Of 'Nature Of Investing' And 'World We Made'
Apr. 19, 2014 • Comment!
- Review of Katherine Collins' newly released "The Nature of Investing".
- Review of Jonathon Porritt's "The World We Made".
- Correcting current investing methods to methods based on nature for the benefit of future generations.
Review Of 'Crowdfund Investing For Dummies' And 'Equity Crowdfunding'
Apr. 18, 2014 • Comment!
- Summary background on authors Neiss, Best and Cassady-Dorion with review of 'Crowdfund Investing for Dummies.'
- Review of 'Equity Crowdfund' and how crowdfunding fits at the level of investing in one's community.
- Commentary on the value of crowdfunding despite reservations by many in the investing world.
Book Review: 'Flash Boys' By Michael Lewis
Apr. 5, 2014 • 7 Comments
- How high frequency trading works against investors.
- Highlighting the sleuthing efforts of Brad Katsuyama to bypass the digitization of Wall Street.
- Using a financial transaction tax (FTT) to curtail HFT.
Review Of 'The Second Machine Age'
Apr. 4, 2014 • 4 Comments
- Hazel Henderson's perspective on the recently published book, 'The Second Machine Age' by Erik Byrynjolfsson and Andrew McAfee, authors of Race Against the Machine.
- Explores the role of digitization in finance, economics and the economy.
- Lauds authors' break from traditional "economism" while questioning their faith in Silicon Valley.
- Review Of 'The Energy Of Nations' By Jeremy Leggett
Book Review: Radical Abundance By K. Eric Drexler
Sep. 7, 2013 • Comment!
Book Reviews: 'The Locust And The Bee' And 'The Collaboration Economy'
Jul. 23, 2013 • 2 Comments
Review Of FORECAST By Mark Buchanan
May. 12, 2013 • 2 Comments
Book Review: 'The Bankers' New Clothes,' By Anat Admati And Martin Hellwig
May. 7, 2013 • 3 Comments
Book Review: 'Good Morning, Beautiful Business' By Judy Wicks
Apr. 17, 2013 • Comment!
Book Review: The Ethical Economy, By Adam Arvidsson And Nicolai Peitersen
Apr. 13, 2013 • 1 Comment
Review Of 'Conscious Capitalism' By John Mackey And Raj Sisodia
Jan. 24, 2013 • 3 Comments
Review Of Zeronauts By John Elkington
Jan. 12, 2013 • 5 Comments
Review Of James Gustave Speth's America The Possible: Manifesto For A New Economy
Oct. 23, 2012 • 4 Comments
Review Of Corporation 2020 By Pavan Sukhdev
Oct. 18, 2012 • Comment!
Book Reviews: The New 'New Deal' Is Green
Sep. 22, 2012 • 2 Comments
Book Reviews: 'Economics After The Crisis' And 'Money And Sustainability'
Sep. 11, 2012 • 3 Comments
Book Review: Bailout, By Neil Barofsky
Aug. 18, 2012 • 3 Comments
Books: Review Of 2052: A Global Forecast Of The Next 40 Years
Aug. 11, 2012 • 10 Comments
Book Review: 'Dark Pools' By Scott Patterson
Jul. 14, 2012 • 5 Comments
Book Review: Broken Markets by Sal Arnuk and Joseph Saluzzi
Jun. 30, 2012 • 9 Comments
Book Review: 'Why Nations Fail'
Jun. 9, 2012 • 5 Comments
Book Review: 'Doing More With Less'
May. 12, 2012 • Comment!
Book Review: 'Stewardship: Lessons Learned From The Lost Culture of Wall Street'
May. 12, 2012 • Comment!