Henry Nyce

View Henry Nyce's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Fed And Preferred Stocks: Perceptions Vs. Reality [View article]
    LarryMelman,
    Hard to answer that question. It does carry a lower rate of return than many others at 5.88%. Perhaps that is the reason...
    Regards,
    Jun 13, 2014. 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed And Preferred Stocks: Perceptions Vs. Reality [View article]
    Kintahntee,
    Both DLR-H and DLR-E are presently trading at a premium to their $25.00 call. The E preferred can be called in 2016. The H preferred can be called in 2019. It seems that the H preferred offers the best opportunity for dividend returns since it carries a 73/8% dividend.
    You have a good question.
    I always prefer to purchase preferred stocks below the call price, hence I chose G... However the other 2 offer better returns, especially H.
    Cheers
    Jun 13, 2014. 09:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Profit From Cigarettes And Real Estate? [View article]
    Occamsrazor & Michael Thomas,
    You are correct about government and revenue. All governments are looking to increase revenue anyway they can. Hence gambling, drugs and cigarettes are all areas they are going to tax and let live.
    Cheers
    Jun 13, 2014. 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cliffs Natural Resources Preferred: A 10% Return [View article]
    Wpspiker,
    Really difficult to predict the future of both CLV and CLF at this point in time. I have unloaded all my shares at this point. However if we have a breakout of a war in the Mideast, the price iron ore could all of a sudden come back up again.
    With oversupply right now and the price of iron ore declining, the conversion of CLV would not work out to your profit. Sometime in the future, prices of iron ore will rebound, but I am pretty sure it will not be within the forced conversion period.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Jun 13, 2014. 09:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Saved By The Dividends... My Busted Attempt At Timing The Market [View article]
    jasjfarrell,
    It is difficult for me to tell you what to do in your IRA since I don't know how old you are or what you have in other investments.
    Since I am in my 70's, I need to have income from my investments. Holding these dividend payers makes sense to me for my situation.
    Your strategy is OK as long as it meets your income goals and the preferred stocks you purchased are relatively safe.
    Sorry I can't be of more help
    Jun 3, 2014. 01:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Robert Allan Schwartz,
    Thanks for you input. This is an educational resource for the individual investor and hopefully others can learn from my mistakes.
    Regards,
    Jun 3, 2014. 01:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    darnoc111,
    I bought these higher risk companies because of the dividend and also because I was reasonably convinced that these mortgage REITs were relatively safe over the short term.
    Since I doubled up on many of them when the prices fell off the roof, I now have profits in most of them. But I also have good dividend returns as well. I am holding on for the time being since I am convinced that interest rates are going to remain low for the 6 - 9 months.
    Regards,
    Jun 3, 2014. 01:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hardog,
    Thank you for your service to our country.
    Patience does not come easy...
    Regards,
    May 26, 2014. 08:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Ote,
    You are correct. The unwinding of the Fed stimulus will cause bumps. But it is not near the point of unwinding. It is merely reducing the amount of bonds it is buying. When it begins to sell all these bonds... the finances will hit the fan.
    Regards
    May 26, 2014. 08:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Spend my cash,
    Your last statement about the common dividend payments being reduced before the preferred is the very reason I chose the preferred issues.
    Regards
    May 26, 2014. 11:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rosenose,
    I find the nickname you give yourself interesting. I enjoy growing roses, could this be the reason for the name?
    Thanks for your comments.
    Have a great Memorial Day.
    May 26, 2014. 11:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Pablomike,
    You might want to take a look at my answer to Ote.
    Regards
    May 26, 2014. 11:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ote,
    The last 4 reasons for your move out of stocks has been in the mix since March 2009. The first 2 reasons indicate that it is a good idea to be in the market.
    I am impressed with your statement that you are ready to be in cash 2 - 3 years which means you get less than zero returns.
    Regards
    May 26, 2014. 11:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    CWinn1970,
    Hope you do real well with your issues.

I am not a DRIP investor. I prefer to keep my shares in even lots and to take the dividends in cash. It is difficult to impossible to sell partial shares and I just don't want to bother with them.
    I want to take the dividends and allow them to mount up to buy other issues to diversify the portfolio.
    Regards,