Henry Nyce

View Henry Nyce's Comments BY TICKER:
  • The Fed And Preferred Stocks: Perceptions Vs. Reality [View article]
    Unojack,
    I agree with your point.
    Regards
    Jun 14, 2014. 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed And Preferred Stocks: Perceptions Vs. Reality [View article]
    Stocks-Options,
    Good points,
    Thanks,Henry
    Jun 14, 2014. 08:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed And Preferred Stocks: Perceptions Vs. Reality [View article]
    Neil B,
    Good Point.
    Jun 14, 2014. 08:57 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed And Preferred Stocks: Perceptions Vs. Reality [View article]
    JustGiveMeTheDividends,
    Appears to be a reasonable move to increase one's yield.
    Regards
    Jun 14, 2014. 08:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed And Preferred Stocks: Perceptions Vs. Reality [View article]
    dedugan,
    Preferred dividends are taxed as interest in most cases. There are a few preferred stocks available that are taxed like dividends from common stocks. From the list in the article, IPL-D is the only preferred stock that is taxed at the same rate as common stocks.
    Regards
    Jun 13, 2014. 09:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed And Preferred Stocks: Perceptions Vs. Reality [View article]
    John Huss,
    I was careful to choose preferred that were rated for this article. Since I was making the suggestion to use preferred stocks instead of bonds, i chose to use preferred stocks that were rated by Moody.
    On the other hand, I have several non-rated preferred stocks from REITs in my portfolio as well.
    Thanks for your comment.
    Jun 13, 2014. 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed And Preferred Stocks: Perceptions Vs. Reality [View article]
    Tas,
    I did not equate preferred stocks with bonds. I said that there was a trade off for the extra return with higher risk. I believe the trade off is advantageous at this time.
    Regards
    Jun 13, 2014. 09:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed And Preferred Stocks: Perceptions Vs. Reality [View article]
    Paulo,
    Always good to diversify... Don't keep all the eggs in one basket.
    I, personally, am not into leveraging my portfolios...
    Thanks for the comment.
    Jun 13, 2014. 09:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed And Preferred Stocks: Perceptions Vs. Reality [View article]
    LarryMelman,
    Hard to answer that question. It does carry a lower rate of return than many others at 5.88%. Perhaps that is the reason...
    Regards,
    Jun 13, 2014. 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Fed And Preferred Stocks: Perceptions Vs. Reality [View article]
    Kintahntee,
    Both DLR-H and DLR-E are presently trading at a premium to their $25.00 call. The E preferred can be called in 2016. The H preferred can be called in 2019. It seems that the H preferred offers the best opportunity for dividend returns since it carries a 73/8% dividend.
    You have a good question.
    I always prefer to purchase preferred stocks below the call price, hence I chose G... However the other 2 offer better returns, especially H.
    Cheers
    Jun 13, 2014. 09:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Profit From Cigarettes And Real Estate? [View article]
    Occamsrazor & Michael Thomas,
    You are correct about government and revenue. All governments are looking to increase revenue anyway they can. Hence gambling, drugs and cigarettes are all areas they are going to tax and let live.
    Cheers
    Jun 13, 2014. 09:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Cliffs Natural Resources Preferred: A 10% Return [View article]
    Wpspiker,
    Really difficult to predict the future of both CLV and CLF at this point in time. I have unloaded all my shares at this point. However if we have a breakout of a war in the Mideast, the price iron ore could all of a sudden come back up again.
    With oversupply right now and the price of iron ore declining, the conversion of CLV would not work out to your profit. Sometime in the future, prices of iron ore will rebound, but I am pretty sure it will not be within the forced conversion period.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Jun 13, 2014. 09:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Saved By The Dividends... My Busted Attempt At Timing The Market [View article]
    jasjfarrell,
    It is difficult for me to tell you what to do in your IRA since I don't know how old you are or what you have in other investments.
    Since I am in my 70's, I need to have income from my investments. Holding these dividend payers makes sense to me for my situation.
    Your strategy is OK as long as it meets your income goals and the preferred stocks you purchased are relatively safe.
    Sorry I can't be of more help
    Jun 3, 2014. 01:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Robert Allan Schwartz,
    Thanks for you input. This is an educational resource for the individual investor and hopefully others can learn from my mistakes.
    Regards,
    Jun 3, 2014. 01:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    darnoc111,
    I bought these higher risk companies because of the dividend and also because I was reasonably convinced that these mortgage REITs were relatively safe over the short term.
    Since I doubled up on many of them when the prices fell off the roof, I now have profits in most of them. But I also have good dividend returns as well. I am holding on for the time being since I am convinced that interest rates are going to remain low for the 6 - 9 months.
    Regards,