Henry Nyce

View Henry Nyce's Comments BY TICKER:
  • My Utility Fund Vs. Reaves Utility Income Fund: Which Offered The Better Return Last Year? [View article]
    Stonehamian,
    One of the reasons that I am running the competition another year is because of the factors you list above. UTG is much more attuned to interest rates than my fund of utilities. Both will respond to interest rate movement, but UTG will move much more than my fund... I think.
    Mar 28 10:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dividend Sleuth,
    You will have to keep a record of your picks. If I am still well and alive next year, I will review what the returns on my picks and you can compare yours to mine.
    Thanks for your comments and the alternate fund ... especially one where you put your money where your mouth is.
    Mar 28 10:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bobster06,
    My work comes to the same conclusion as you... at least for 1 year.
    Mar 28 10:40 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Robertkarp,
    Thank you for reading and appreciating the work.
    If one is going to be an investor that wins, one must face what the numbers say.
    Mar 28 10:38 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Louverture,
    You have done well since moving out of bond funds. Keep up the good work. I will have to look at GASFX and see what it is.
    Mar 28 10:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Livingstone,
    I understand your points and agree that one can have a stock called away. This has happened to me with PPL. However I have been able to write puts to get the stock back. This going back and forth on PPL has nearly doubled my yield on the stock. However it is difficult to write how this is done.
    But for me, I enjoy the game whereas most investors would rather not spend the time and effort.
    Mar 28 10:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    fludolph,
    Your points in your comments are correct. Thank you for clarifying the issues. I should have done a better job.
    Mar 28 10:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Billinsd,
    You have invested in sound stocks that will pay you.
    I also appreciate that you take care of your dad... That is more important than the returns we get on stocks.
    Mar 27 11:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Bale002,
    You appear to have a well thought out strategy for your investments.
    I think that interest rates are going to be relatively flat over the next 12 months, although I am not making a great big bet on that scenario... just a small one.
    Mar 27 11:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    433963,
    Your point about leverage is correct. Using leverage get make things move profits and losses up and down more than without it.
    I am a fan of Interactive Brokers... Cost of trading and margin is lower than most other brokers.
    Mar 27 11:34 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Livingstone,
    You are correct about the greater diversification of UTG as compared to my fund.
    As to the discount to NAV, UTG seems to consistently sell below NAV...
    As to TransAlta, I see that as a special situation that will turn around, I could be wrong, we will see as time moves forward.
    Your last point about letting the fund manager do the work is excellent if one is not into using options to increase yield.
    Mar 27 11:30 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Guardian3981,
    What funds are you using and are they performing better than UTG?
    Mar 27 11:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    GD,
    Good points when taxes are considered if one has high income tax rate.
    Mar 27 11:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    GD,
    Best way to avoid taxes is in an IRA or 401k...
    I try to keep issues like UTG in an IRA.
    Mar 27 11:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    USER 8120331,
    Looks like you are in a good place with UTG.
    Mar 26 04:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment