Henry Nyce

View Henry Nyce's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Reaves Utility Income Fund: Monthly Payout Currently Offering A 6% Yield [View article]
    Brian Ditchek,
    No dividend is completely reliable. However the dividend from UTG is relatively reliable. It is able to pay this high dividend because of leverage. The CEF can borrow money at a much lower cost than the dividend payments coming from the stocks that it owns.
    However if interest rates begin to rise, the cost of borrowing for leverage will also increase.
    The CEF will continue to pay dividends, but they will fluctuate with the dividend payments from the companies it owns as well as the cost of interest for leverage.
    The company also uses futures and option contracts to earn more money as well. This also helps it maintain a higher dividend.
    Hope this helps...
    Aug 20, 2015. 11:49 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Emotion Vs. Reason: Sell, Buy Or Hold - Recent Examples To Consider [View article]
    Hardog,
    Glad your stocks are taking good care of you. Keep on doing well.
    Aug 18, 2015. 09:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    mcleung
    I was not aware of the problems in Tianjin. I did Google the problem and saw the photo in the Wall Street Journal. Lots of containers in the explosion.
    Aug 18, 2015. 09:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    NV_GARY
    You are correct about no increase in the dividend. There will probably be no increase in the dividend over the next few years.

Your first question has to do with depreciation and the sale of containers.
    Aug 17, 2015. 11:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    gorgo,
    Thanks for your 2 cents. I think it is worth a whole lot more. You have made some good moves. Let me congratulate you.
    You also make a good point about how it is important to diversify not only into different stocks, but into different industries.
    Aug 17, 2015. 11:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    adam22164,
    You are correct about MLPL and MORL. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Aug 17, 2015. 11:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Johan2003
    Thanks for taking the time to comment on my article. The stocks are also a small part of my portfolio.
    Aug 17, 2015. 11:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SkipK,
    I also have EMR and WMT both of which are down as well. I am not selling these issues either. In fact, I have doubled up on WMT recently.
    Thanks for your input.
    Aug 17, 2015. 11:36 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Bob Wells,
    I have read many of your articles and have respect for what you do and how you do it. I have several highly rated companies in my portfolio and they have succumbed to the latest downdraft as well.
    I have lost total investments from time to time from some of the high yield stocks that I have purchased. On the other hand, I made lots of money on high yield preferred stocks that have either been redeemed or regained their value.
    I guess I like to sprinkle my portfolio with high yield issues to spike up returns. So far, my returns have exceeded my losses by great measure. I have been doing this for years and it has worked reasonably well. I have 1 issue that returned over 350% over a 8 year period. On the other hand I have one that went down to zero. I need lots of diversification to do this.
    Keep on doing well!
    Aug 17, 2015. 11:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    yardbird99,
    I didn't think I was calling anyone names by talking about emotional selling. Fear can be a rational or irrational emotion. Our reactions to fear can be rational or irrational.
    The things people do with their investments are often predicated upon their fears of the future or what they see occurring now. Many times it has nothing to do with the value of the company or the future of the company.
    Regards
    Aug 17, 2015. 11:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Urbannek,
    Let's hope they do well for us.
    Aug 17, 2015. 11:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    aringel,
    Thanks for comment.
    Aug 17, 2015. 11:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    snosaint,
    While hind sight doesn't help with current investments, we can use what we learn in the future and hopefully avoid some errors.
    Regards
    Aug 17, 2015. 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    fsoriano,
    I am convinced that stop-loss orders work very well for brokerage houses.
    As far as timing the market, it is just too hard because the market goes down when everyone thinks there is nothing to worry about.
    Aug 17, 2015. 10:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment