Henry Nyce

View Henry Nyce's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 6-Month Review: Comparison Of $10,000.00 CD To A $10,000.00 Dividend Portfolio [View article]
    halflink123,
    A 6 year investment at 6.6% is a good deal if rates remain the same as they are now throughout the term. I have seen interest rates as high as 10% in my lifetime and watched bonds fall to nearly 50% of their value. At the end of 6 years you will get your money back from the bond if the company survives. However if interest rates go above 7% in 3 years, the price of your bond will go down and you will not be in a position to capitalize on the higher interest rates that even banks will offer.
    If you won't need the money for 6 years, you will come out whole if the company survives. However you might miss out on other opportunities if rates rise quickly.
    I think you are relatively safe with this investment over 6 years, however sometimes things can change very quickly and I want to be able to change direction quickly with my investments if that is the case.
    Regards
    Aug 22 10:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Medical Properties Trust - A 6.4% Dividend With A Built-In CPI Kicker... Steady Income For The Retiree [View article]
    WallCFA,
    You concerns about the Affordable Care Act are also concerns of mine. It is certainly something investors must continue to follow.
    Cheers,
    Aug 13 09:27 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    maxnsl,
    I agree, it would be nice if the REIT were to increase the payout.
    Lack of growth in the payout has been the reason the price of the issue is as low as it is.
    Cheers
    Aug 13 09:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    halflink123,
    I am enjoying my times with PPL. I bought it earlier in the year at below $30.00 per share. I sold calls and puts on the issue and increased the returns from it. I also had it called out at $34.00 a share. I have purchased it again at below $32.00 a share and hope to cash in some more. I have already made over 8% this year with my investments in PPL.
    Thanks for your info on Rent A Center notes. The call date is too far out for my comfort with the possibility of rising rates.
    Regards,
    Aug 12 03:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    crazty4tennis,
    I am a bit afraid that rising rates will adversely affect this portfolio. But I am certainly not going to put my money in cash... that is a sure loser. My strategy is to attempt to find good paying dividend stocks and watch them carefully. As I see opportunities like last week, I bought several stocks that had gone down that pay good dividends like PPL and BX.
    Regards
    Aug 11 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Blackstone Group LP Is On A Roll, Growing Both Earnings And Distributions [View article]
    WallCFA,
    You have some good points on the issue.
    Regards,
    Aug 5 08:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    runtravrun1,
    Many of the companies that run mutual funds and also handled much of the financial engineering took a real beating during the last recession. Some even went belly up... Perhaps investors are remembering the beating that they took at that time. I don't see the same thing happening in the near future.
    Regards
    Aug 5 07:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave Shelton,
    Rising rates over 2 1/2 % will have an impact on many stocks. Since BX's business is financial engineering and mutual funds, it will surely impact the company. However, at this point i think that the management is nimble enough to handle slowly rising rates. The company is not yet moribund like many old line financial companies.
    Regards
    Aug 4 07:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave Shelton,
    If you find out anything negative, be sure to let us know about it.
    Regards
    Aug 2 12:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    PETERBLUDS,
    There is always the possibility of unknowns whenever we invest in a public company. However, I am convinced that the company at this stage appears to be open and telling us what we should know about the business.
    Cheers,
    Aug 2 12:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    sashapeppy1,
    I agree with you. But, of course, that is to be expected.
    Regards
    Aug 2 12:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    zim0001,
    We need to remember to buy low.
    Regards
    Aug 1 01:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Capt.
    Thanks for the answer.
    Cheers,
    Aug 1 01:04 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dave Shelton,
    The Captain answered your question below:
    However... since the company is really into financial engineering, when the market goes south, many investors have a tendency to flea. This would reduce the amount of money that the company is managing. It is very sensitive to market movements.
    Regards,
    Aug 1 01:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    justareader,
    Been to Merry Old England 4 times... Not planning to go again.
    Thanks anyway,