Henry Nyce

View Henry Nyce's Comments BY TICKER:
    allday1234
    I think many folks have had to make hard decisions about the oil patch. It is important to have a plan to deal with one's investments. It is also good to change it up when you see that it is not producing the results one desires.
    Cheers
    Dec 20, 2014. 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    JJJRS
    The idea for this test came from a request from one of my children to invest $12,000 that he knew he would have to use within a year. I refused to do that and told them to put the money in the bank to be sure it would be there when they needed it.
    Thanks for your comment
    Regards
    Dec 20, 2014. 11:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Aids Patient,
    I do not have a 5 year outlook on stock investments. My time frame ranges from 6 months to 2 years. I also want to be sure that the stocks are paying dividends and going to maintain them over the term of the investment.
    However, I have just taken small positions in BP and LGCYO. I am fairly convinced that these 2 entities will be paying their current dividends over the next year. If oil begins to rise, they will be good stocks to own, if oil declines even further, I will probably abandon them.
    ESV is a good company, but I will avoid it until I see a turnaround in the industry.
    Regards
    Dec 20, 2014. 11:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    NH Don
    If I were to wait until 1/15/2015, the results might look a bit different. I may take a look and add a comment at that time.
    Regards
    Dec 20, 2014. 11:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    BradNY
    As investors we all make mistakes.
    Regards
    Dec 20, 2014. 11:22 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Aids Patient
    The idea of this test was built around the small investor. Hence the use of $10,000.00. Therefore to keep the shares in 100 multiples and to have some diversification, I used small cap stocks.
    You are correct, if I had used other stocks the outcome would have been quite different.
    Regards
    Dec 20, 2014. 11:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    surfgeezer,
    You have a carefully reasoned plan for your portfolio. I also attempt to do some of the things you are doing. I have many preferred stocks in my portfolio now that are down from the purchase price, but I am still collecting the dividends. These preferred stocks have been bouncing all over the board over the past 2 years. This does not matter as long as the company is continuing to pay the dividend.
    You are offering good advice in your comments. Thanks.
    Cheers
    Dec 20, 2014. 08:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Aids Patient
    The photo is my actual photo. It is 5 years old. So I am actually older than the photo shows. I appreciate your concern about my trading.
    I have been retired now for 11 years. I have split my retirement savings into 2 different portfolios. One of them is for my trading and the other is for a steady income stream that grows annually.
    So I guess I am actually following your advice at some level.
    Cheers
    Dec 20, 2014. 08:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    lobeta
    Good question! The conclusions would certainly have been different. I think that just one attempt would not prove that it is the best way to handle our low interest rate environment on a short term basis.
    It is probably more instructive that the experiment lost money.
    Thanks for the thoughtful question.
    Regards
    Dec 19, 2014. 08:24 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    surfgeezer
    Enjoyed your comments and your position on trading. Since I enjoy trading, I don't think I will ever be content to let things ride.
    Cheers
    Dec 19, 2014. 08:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    lobeta
    The conclusions are only worthy if one is trying to beat CD's on a short term basis. One must be committed to a longer time frame if one is attempting to invest.
    I really thought that I could beat a CD readily over the period of year. I proved myself wrong.
    Although, I can probably come out even after the last 2 days... However, I am not about to do the math.
    Regards
    Dec 18, 2014. 05:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    nicholas davout,
    Good Advice...
    Thanks for your comment.
    Cheers
    Dec 18, 2014. 05:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Adib Motiwala
    You are certainly correct about that.
    Cheers
    Dec 18, 2014. 05:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    13302632
    I would have done better by leaving the original portfolio in place. If I had done that, It would have easily beat out the CD.
    Thanks for your comment
    Dec 18, 2014. 05:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reasons To Buy Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P.:Distributions And Price Appreciation [View article]
    papaone,
    I leave questions of this nature to my tax accountant. Sorry, I am no help on this question.
    Cheers,