Henry Nyce

View Henry Nyce's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Holding Out For Better Prices On Some Dividend Growth Stocks Over The Next 2 Months [View article]
    djsulli,
    Hope you do well with your own list of buys.
    Regards
    Sep 9, 2014. 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rosenose,
    OK... understand your position...
    I see PAYX & PPL as growing faster for the next 2 years. They have things in place to do better.
    Regards
    Sep 9, 2014. 11:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Preferred Issues, Puts And Silver As Defensive Positions Over The Next Several Months [View article]
    Joe Fortner,
    To help you understand the dangers in owning the particular stocks that you own:
    When we had the meltdown in 2008, NRF stopped paying its preferred dividends as well as the dividends on its common. The price of the issue really tanked. If one would have held on for 4 years, one would have come out of the issue OK... However most people tend to panic and give up just when the company is about to turn around.
    If you are dependent on the dividends to live, you are in trouble when things like this happen, especially if you have a great deal of your money in these vehicles.
    One other consideration is interest rate risk. I lived through an era when interest rates on CD's actually reached 10%. If that were to happen, your preferred stocks would go south. Not only that, the REITs you are investing in would probably suffer huge losses with a huge interest rate increase. They are financing long term mortgages with short term debt. That is how they make their money. If the long term mortgages they are holding only pay 5 - 6% and they must pay 7% or more for the money, they are in huge trouble.
    You must understand the basis for the REITs you are investing in terms of how they make their money. As long as interest rates remain relatively steady and stay low, there is no danger. However if interest rates begin to rise things could awry for the companies you own.
    Hope this helps
    Sep 8, 2014. 09:12 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    rosenose,
    I can understand your position on WM... On the other hand I don't see what your problem is with PAYX & PPL. But I guess that is what makes a market.
    Regards
    Sep 8, 2014. 07:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    slcUTAH,
    Hoping both of us can use the cash we have available to good advantage soon. Glad my list helps you start to sort out what you want.
    Cheers
    Sep 8, 2014. 07:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    b3player,
    Glad the article was a help.
    Regards
    Sep 6, 2014. 08:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jamesingram32,
    Thank you for your kind words.
    On PG, I was wondering what was so wonderful about selling off parts of the business as well.
    Cheers
    Sep 6, 2014. 08:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Kingdad,
    Good advice... I'll take it.
    Cheers
    Aug 29, 2014. 08:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ralph,
    Sounds like you have it made!
    Cheers
    Aug 29, 2014. 08:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Gratian
    You may be right. I have over 30 pages of notes from various documents submitted to the government by these 2 entities which I have not been able to assemble to make sense of all the financial arrangements.
    It all is legal, but I am not sure it is prudent. The enterprises may very well be successful, I am just not seeing the light on what they are actually doing.
    Have a great labor day weekend
    Aug 29, 2014. 08:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SparkDogg,
    LTS and VGR have many of same board of directors. They also share management personnel. There are things going on between the 2 entities and the boards that I have not been able to completely figure out.
    Option grants from LTS and cash bonuses to management and the board have been excessive.
    I started to write an article about these things, but I found it too difficult to put my finger on exactly what was going on.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers
    Aug 28, 2014. 09:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ralph bowlin,
    You have an interesting retirement business. I have a few rental properties, but find that the management of them sometimes gets to be a hassle.
    Your providing loans for others to do investing in real estate sounds like a good way to go.
    But you are correct about tying up capital. It would not be easy for me to get the capital out of my rental properties at this time. Therefore, I need cash and/or investments that can be easily turned to cash to provide for daily living needs.
    Thanks for your comments. Hope your investments turn out well for you.
    Cheers
    Aug 28, 2014. 09:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Redundant Tom,
    It is difficult to tell someone else how he or she should allocate their investments. Considering that you are semi-retired and near retirement age, I think you could up the amount of preferred stocks to 20 - 25% if you are well diversified among many companies and industries.
    Unlike yourself, I generally avoid the bank preferred stocks that are not cumulative. I have watched banks collapse 2 times in my lifetime.
    I do like to invest in preferreds that are broken up bonds. They pay out the complete interest payments and have a set date for maturity and return of one's capital.
    Regards
    Aug 28, 2014. 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kingdad,
    Real research on this issue on preferreds might make a good article some day.
    Regards
    Aug 27, 2014. 08:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    RetiredBroker,
    Thank you for the advice on increasing returns on our preferred issues. I can see that you do your homework.
    Cheers