Henry Nyce

View Henry Nyce's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Preferred Issues, Puts And Silver As Defensive Positions Over The Next Several Months [View article]
    nicholas davout,
    I have been thinking about your advice about getting more ammunition. It may be a very good idea.
    I have used FFC myself in several of the portfolios I manage.
    The September effect is pretty well documented... whereas October does not have the same problem.
    Regards
    Aug 25, 2014. 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    GGjr,
    I took a look at SLVO... It has taken quite a beating over the past several months. It is not the kind of investment ETN I am willing to invest in.
    Regards
    Aug 25, 2014. 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ooi,
    Glad you find my articles helpful.
    Cheers
    Aug 25, 2014. 09:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    loutom21,
    Checked out NEE-J... Rated BBB, Selling for $21.50... pays 5% at par, currently paying 5.8% at the selling price (represents a sliced up note)
    Checked out PNC-Q... Rated BBB, Selling for $23.50... pays 5.38% at par, Currently paying 5.7% at the selling price (dividends are not cumulative, but do get preferential tax treatment)
    Regards
    Aug 25, 2014. 09:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    User 447425,
    Thanks for sharing your option strategies. I do use some of your strategies on a very limited basis.
    I am not high on miners at the present time. Prices of the metals are not conducive to profits right now.
    Cheers
    Aug 25, 2014. 09:37 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Stephen Mayo
    Thanks for your comment.
    On my option strategy, I am still on the learning curve on using options.
    Regards
    Aug 25, 2014. 09:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    niuecon,
    Good advice about looking at the call dates.
    It is because of all these ins and outs of preferred shares that many people find them confusing and are not willing to invest in them.
    Cheers
    Aug 25, 2014. 09:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    gymbo,
    Appreciate your long reply. You have given several good reasons to use preferred stocks in our current economic environment.
    Thanks
    Aug 25, 2014. 09:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    JBZW,
    You have zeroed in on the reason that the issues are called preferred. They get preferred treatment with regard to dividends over the common stock.
    Regards
    Aug 25, 2014. 09:26 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    DanielJRoche,
    I can see from your comments that you don't agree with my approach. This is what makes this web site useful. Readers can look at the articles and the comments to make their own conclusions.
    Cheers
    Aug 25, 2014. 09:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    TAS,
    You might throw out a few of your picks in the floating rate preferred arena. Most of the issues i looked at were not paying enough.
    Regards,
    Aug 25, 2014. 09:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 6-Month Review: Comparison Of $10,000.00 CD To A $10,000.00 Dividend Portfolio [View article]
    halflink123,
    Sorry that I missed the object of your question. I normally do not focus on bonds at all unless they are offered as stocks to be traded.
    If you take a look at the article, you will see that a bond has been broken up as a preferred stock and sold in $25.00 multiples (CTY). It is easily traded and offers about the same protections of a bond. Bonds sold like that are about the only ones I deal in. I have not bought an outright bond for over 8 years.
    For that reason, I am not in a position to answer your question about bonds. Someone else who has interests in bonds would have to give you an answer.
    Sincerely
    Aug 23, 2014. 02:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can You Profit From Cigarettes And Real Estate? [View article]
    mandolin,
    Thanks for being so accommodating...
    Regards,
    Aug 23, 2014. 02:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    halflink123,
    A 6 year investment at 6.6% is a good deal if rates remain the same as they are now throughout the term. I have seen interest rates as high as 10% in my lifetime and watched bonds fall to nearly 50% of their value. At the end of 6 years you will get your money back from the bond if the company survives. However if interest rates go above 7% in 3 years, the price of your bond will go down and you will not be in a position to capitalize on the higher interest rates that even banks will offer.
    If you won't need the money for 6 years, you will come out whole if the company survives. However you might miss out on other opportunities if rates rise quickly.
    I think you are relatively safe with this investment over 6 years, however sometimes things can change very quickly and I want to be able to change direction quickly with my investments if that is the case.
    Regards
    Aug 22, 2014. 10:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Medical Properties Trust - A 6.4% Dividend With A Built-In CPI Kicker... Steady Income For The Retiree [View article]
    WallCFA,
    You concerns about the Affordable Care Act are also concerns of mine. It is certainly something investors must continue to follow.
    Cheers,