Henry Nyce

View Henry Nyce's Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • PPL Corporation: Why You Should Avoid Its 4.9% Yield [View article]
    Facts are correct.... Conclusions are open to question.
    Time to load a balance sheet with debt is when interest rates are low. One can add to profitability of a company when one leverages the balance sheet when interest rates are low. As interest rates go up, one reduces leverage to maintain profitability. Great way to grow a company.
    Sep 17 08:59 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 2 High Dividend Foreign Banks With The Footprint To Grow Profits And Dividends [View article]
    Brlanger,
    The 2 replies below respond to your question or statement.
    Tax treaty with Canada allows one to have stocks in IRA's with no with holding.
    Feb 20 07:57 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Proposal To Convert A $10,000 Bank CD To An 8% Dividend Portfolio [View article]
    bg6638-2,
    I surely hope you are wrong.
    In any case, I have put my money where my mouth is.
    I will be checking out how well these investments work out in the future.
    By the way, I don't know about you, but If I put my money in a checking account, I spend it.
    It flies away.
    Jan 29 10:25 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Be The Equivalent Of A Stock Market Racist [View article]
    Chuck,
    I appreciate the way you follow up on comments to your articles. You are always thoughtful and courteous. All of this takes work, time and effort. Your articles and follow-up offer writers on this site a great role model to emulate.
    Sep 19 09:25 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High Risk - High Reward: Maybe, Maybe Not [View article]
    This is a good suggestion. But be careful of the dangers there as well. Someone in my family had 20% of his investment in GE during the Jack Welch reign. When the account was turned over to me, I sold all but several hundred shares.
    The person was angry at my action until GE fell on it's face.
    Than the person thanked me for diversifying the portfolio. I saved the person thousands of dollars of their hard earned retirement money.
    Jul 3 10:52 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Strong Companies With Dividends Over 5% [View article]
    rrl1124,
    The very same problems you mention make it very difficult for new competition to enter the field. The barriers to entry are very high. Those who succeed can usually do reasonably well.
    Regards
    Henry
    Apr 11 07:23 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Would Anyone Invest In General Motors? [View article]
    rporpora2@gmail.com,
    I wrote this article because I thought there was way too much optimism in the investment community about a company whose management often neglected the best interests of its owners and customers.
    It would be nice if management has lost its past arrogance and is working toward filling its obligations to suppliers, customers and investors.

I just heard on the radio that several auto companies are going to offer hydrogen energized electric cars in 2014. GM was not among them.
    Dec 20 09:22 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Would Anyone Invest In General Motors? [View article]
    whatdoiknow?
    Thanks for following up.
    You have shown me that I need to learn more.
    Dec 19 05:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Would Anyone Invest In General Motors? [View article]
    xamd,
    It is difficult to say what might have occurred if the company would have taken the regular bankruptcy route. We will never know.
    My question is... has the government just put off what will happen at some future date anyway? Only time will give us the answer to that.
    May you do well with your investment.
    Dec 19 10:29 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Buy Ampco-Pittsburgh Corp. While Stock Price Is Low And Dividend Returns High [View article]
    Clawsoon,
    You ask 2 important questions.
    The answers to these questions can be found here:
    The management maintains that asbestos litigation costs are non-material to the company at this time. Most of the litigation is to be handled by insurance companies.
    It appears that the company is amortizing the defined benefit obligations over time. They have a process to see these financial issues taken care of.
    Hope this helps.
    Nov 26 03:45 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Preferred Shares As A Replacement For Bonds To Increase Returns On One's Nest Egg [View article]
    BERLOE,
    You raise a very important question. Your question should probably be addressed with a full-blown article. Perhaps I or someone else will take that on in a future article.
    The short answer is:
    1. Always look at the underlying company before buying their preferred stock.
    Is the company viable
    Is it a business that will persist
    Does it have the cash flow to pay the dividends
    Does it have the assets to cover the value of the stock
    2. Finally do the economic conditions look OK for the company and the business.
    Hope this little bit helps.
    Thanks for reading and for asking a very important question that investors must consider when buying stocks.
    Oct 10 09:56 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What To Do Now With Caterpillar: Buy Or Stay Away? [View article]
    COMBATCORPSMANVN:
    I agree it is a good opportunity to profit on CAT's volatility. You may be right about the negative bias... Many times prices swing much too far on one side or the other.
    However I am willing to be long when it reaches $76.00. I may than do what you suggest as well. I am only dipping my toes in when it gets to that point.
    Aug 6 04:01 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Know What You Are Buying When You Invest In Preferred Stocks [View article]
    Lew
    I prefer to choose the stocks myself and save the extra costs associated with funds and ETFs. If we do a little extra work, we can make some extra money, not only on rates, but also on capital gains with these stocks.
    Thanks for your comment.
    Jul 2 07:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Know What You Are Buying When You Invest In Preferred Stocks [View article]
    Shourey
    I usually have a bias against buying a CEF. But FFC is certainly paying a good dividend for its market price. It is also selling right around its NAV. So It appears to be good purchase right now.
    I looked at NCT-B. It is selling over its call price and the it can be called at any time. If you purchased earlier at a lower price, you are OK. If you considering purchasing now, I would avoid it.
    Thanks for your comment.
    Jul 1 09:42 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Create Your Own Growing Utility Fund Offering Over 4.5% [View article]
    Chowder;
    You have a plan that has generated an excellent return. I also appreciate your disciplined approach to dropping a company from your list.
    Good job.
    I am sure others who read your post can learn from your disciplined approach.
    Mar 26 08:52 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment